JohnnySic
01-04-2016, 08:48 AM
The original small-ball line up could have been:

Serge Ibaka
Jeff Green
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Russell Westbrook

But I guess the world was not quite ready for small ball just yet.

So they sacrificed Green (and, by extension, Harden) so they could have Kendrick Perkins. Can't blame them for that.

http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Kendrick-Perkins.jpg

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I remember 2012

They were the dynasty that was meant to rule the decade

It's kind of sad how it's all turned out

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 08:50 AM
ESPN 30 for 30: The Dynasty that Never Was

VengefulAngel
01-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Lebron is an idiot, Miami was perfectly suited to beat this GSW's team. A few tweaks ( e.g SA) they would have been winning titles for years to come.

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Lebron is an idiot, Miami was perfectly suited to beat this GSW's team. A few tweaks ( e.g SA) they would have been winning titles for years to come.
It's true

Bosh at center is the perfect counter to Draymond at center

Legends66NBA7
01-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Actually, this is never brought up but the one time Seattle/OKC screwed up in the draft was taking Jeff Green over Joakim Noah. The guys who went over Noah were Yi Jianlian, Corey Brewer, and Brandan Wright.

They have Noah and later Ibaka ? That probably could have sealed the deal for a potential title(s).

JohnFreeman
01-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Remember when Durant stans said OKC fleeced Cleveland in the Waiters trade :roll:

VengefulAngel
01-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Remember when Durant stans said OKC fleeced Cleveland in the Waiters trade :roll:

I need to find this thread, it was hilarious.

JohnnySic
01-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Actually, this is never brought up but the one time Seattle/OKC screwed up in the draft was taking Jeff Green over Joakim Noah. The guys who went over Noah were Yi Jianlian, Corey Brewer, and Brandan Wright.

They have Noah and later Ibaka ? That probably could have sealed the deal for a potential title(s).
OKC didn't draft Green. The Celtics did and traded him for Ray Allen.

Although I suppose OKC could have instructed the Celtics to take Noah, if the deal was already in place.

That said, Green > Noah, coming out of college. Green should have been perennial an all-star.

JohnFreeman
01-04-2016, 09:03 AM
I need to find this thread, it was hilarious.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365820

VengefulAngel
01-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Found it!

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365820

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Cheap management and injuries ****ed the dynasty up real talk

They still top notch now, but they ain't Golden state like you say

Although they should have been. Lined up, crowned the future...

You would have never guessed it to turn out like this just prior to the 2012 finals

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 09:14 AM
They were supposed to be the 90's Bulls

Instead they became the 90's Supersonics

plowking
01-04-2016, 09:37 AM
It's true

Bosh at center is the perfect counter to Draymond at center

They can just have Love at center to counter GSW.

Draymond isn't really a scoring threat and goes through confidence issues at times. He has become a great passer though. But he won't be dropping huge numbers on Love, no matter how average a defender he is.

VengefulAngel
01-04-2016, 09:45 AM

Draymond isn't really a scoring threat and goes through confidence issues at times. He has become a great passer though. But he won't be dropping huge numbers on Love, no matter how average a defender he is.

Love is nowhere near the defender that Bosh is.

GIF REACTION
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Love is a good post defender but he doesn't have those jazz feet to defend like Bosh or Draymond in the pick and roll

That's why they play Thompson alot

Clifton
01-04-2016, 09:52 AM
The original small-ball line up could have been:

Serge Ibaka
Jeff Green
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Russell Westbrook

But I guess the world was not quite ready for small ball just yet.

So they sacrificed Green (and, by extension, Harden) so they could have Kendrick Perkins. Can't blame them for that.
Good post.

Though I think the real reason was that:

A: OKC wasn't a good organization like GS is; it was very obvious that they cared only about the bottom line and were penny-pinchers. They lost James Harden over 6 million dollars. Offered him 54; he left for 60 and they didn't match. It's 3 years later, and now every player in the top 6 of a roster is signing for 80. They didn't care about winning and they didn't know how to look to the future and see how salaries would go up.

B: They didn't get lucky like GS did. They thought they had to choose between Harden and Ibaka because they already had 2 guys with max deals. They had to negotiate with Harden when his stock was high. But GS, because of timing and injuries, got to negotiate with Curry when his stock was very low (indeed, lower than Monta Ellis'!). With him signed long term, they didn't have to choose between Klay and Draymond; they got them both for max or near-max deals. As good an organization as GS is, sincere about winning and maintaining chemistry, I bet they'll have to let Barnes go for this same reason. Luckily, Barnes isn't and never will be a top 3 player on this team; and is inessential to any dynasty, unlike Harden.

But yes, if they had the coin, the luck, and the willingness, Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Green/Ibaka would be a dynasty. It's too bad.

All that said, though, they will keep Durant this summer, because he still has it very good in OKC. He has great chemistry with Westbrook and most of the rest of the team, and they still can win a title or two with what they've got.

plowking
01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Love is nowhere near the defender that Bosh is.

He isn't, though the Cavs proved last finals that you can sag off Draymond and he won't hurt you consistently. I won't say I know the exact stats, but I'm guessing his main weapon off the PnR is the pass? Sagging off isn't a bad idea in that case.

SyRyanYang
01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
He isn't, though the Cavs proved last finals that you can sag off Draymond and he won't hurt you consistently. I won't say I know the exact stats, but I'm guessing his main weapon off the PnR is the pass? Sagging off isn't a bad idea in that case.

Yeah but that was last year, take a look at the numbers Draymond has been putting up this year.

robby712
01-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Love is a good post defender but he doesn't have those jazz feet to defend like Bosh or Draymond in the pick and roll

That's why they play Thompson alot

No he isn't a great defender but that wasn't the point. It's not like Green is going to drop 40 on him. The truth is that with Kyrie and Love I don't see how the Cavs lose the Finals. First of all, you have 2 more guys more than capable of scoring, so Lebron's usage drops and his efficiency increases. Second, Curry has to work on defense against Irving, or if they put Klay on Kyrie , then he has to run after Smith through the screens. He has to put some work. With Love out there, you have way better spacing and can play Irving,Shump/JR,James,Love,TT when GSW is going small. Third, the Cavs can actually run an offense and not Lebron iso's all game, so that provides diversity and the Warriors defense must stay alert. Bonus, JR has to do way less and maybe he has 1 or 2 hot games like he did against the Bulls and Hawks.

Hopper15
01-04-2016, 11:16 AM

That counter sucks. Love is a defensive liability.

tpols
01-04-2016, 11:35 AM
That counter sucks. Love is a defensive liability.

I would pay to see Love try and guard Draymond from the top of the key with a live dribble, with no mozgov or TT behind him.. would be funny as hell

Funktion
01-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Harden wouldn't have been PMVP.

VengefulAngel
01-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I would pay to see Love try and guard Draymond from the top of the key with a live dribble, with no mozgov or TT behind him.. would be funny as hell

He would just be waiting to rebound once it's gone in.

DrainMD
01-04-2016, 04:44 PM

What would be the changes? Most of that supporting cast was at the end of their careers.