PDA

View Full Version : What More Does Steph Curry Need to Do To Be A Top Ten All Time PG?

GoSpursGo1984
01-11-2016, 03:49 AM
Win another ring win both ring and MVP? Play longer?

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 03:51 AM
He's already there.

How many PGs have a ring and a MVP under their belt?
How many PGs have had a better peak than curry?

Magic Johnson.

GoSpursGo1984
01-11-2016, 03:51 AM
He's already there.

Magic Johnson.

Where would you rank him?

Black and White
01-11-2016, 03:52 AM
He's already top ten, currently I would put him between 4-8

If he wins again this year + the MVP it would be hard to list him out of the top 5

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 03:59 AM
Where would you rank him?

At the moment in terms of career ranking? Probably in the 6-10 range with Kidd, Paul, Fraizer, Nash, etc.

If he continues what he's doing and wins MVP + ring this year.I can see him finishing around 2nd or 3rd with Magic and Oscar when it's all said and done.

GoSpursGo1984
01-11-2016, 04:04 AM
I agree he has had a high enough peak to be top ten I just did not know if he had played long enough to be considered yet.

oarabbus
01-11-2016, 04:16 AM
If you factor in entire prime plus peak plus longevity...

Magic
Isiah
Stockton
Cousy (depending on your view of that era)

clearly have him beat at this point.

Nash, Frazier, Kidd, Paul are all arguable if you factor in their total careers vs Curry's still relatively early career.

If Curry keeps up the insanity he is capable of on the court for a nice long career then there's no reason he can't surpass everyone but Magic.

He needs another ring or two for sure, and MVP or FMVP accolades would help his case greatly as well.

NattyPButter
01-11-2016, 04:16 AM
I don't know maybe be a PG and not a SG. He needs to have average more assist per a game and get better at defense. A lot of you are not looking at the overall picture and just look at Curry's shooting. If you take Dray off the team Curry would go back to his old self and the team would be just a playoff team and not a contender.

oarabbus
01-11-2016, 04:19 AM
I don't know maybe be a PG and not a SG. He needs to have average more assist per a game and get better at defense. A lot of you are not looking at the overall picture and just look at Curry's shooting. If you take Dray off the team Curry would go back to his old self and the team would be just a playoff team and not a contender.

*Looks at this guy's avatar and location*

Are you projecting bruh?

24-Inch_Chrome
01-11-2016, 04:21 AM
He's in the bottom of the top 10 already. I don't think he'll ever have enough to surpass Magic, Oscar, or Isiah but the rest of the list is probably open.

Heavincent
01-11-2016, 04:27 AM

Yeah Curry needs to change his game. His current style is okay and all, but the Warriors would be better if he handled the ball more like a real PG. He needs to stop playing off ball so much because it's a detriment to his team. 35-2 is a solid record, but given the talent around Steph, they would be better if he dominated the ball more and padded his assists.

kennethgriffin
01-11-2016, 04:30 AM
10 more years as a valuable player in the nba

2 more rings

2 more finals mvps

winning finals record

then he passes hakeem for #10

NattyPButter
01-11-2016, 04:30 AM
*Looks at this guy's avatar and location*

Are you projecting bruh?

Don't see what my avatar and location has to do with it. I would say the same thing about Kyrie. Both of them are not true PG and lack defense to be even considered near top 10s. Both of them don't even have the most assist on their team. These two are nothing but shooting guards. I'm looking at the overall picture not just their shooting.

oarabbus
01-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Don't see what my avatar and location has to do with it. I would say the same thing about Kyrie. Both of them are not true PG and lack defense to be even considered near top 10s. Both of them don't even have the most assist on their team. These two are nothing but shooting guards.

My b for the snark, although I don't entirely agree I can certainly see why you'd say that. Fair enough :cheers:

Gileraracer
01-11-2016, 04:33 AM
He needs to play on a good level for several years to have a shot

Marchesk
01-11-2016, 10:40 AM
He's already there.

Magic Johnson.

Oscar only averaged around a 30 point triple double his first seven or so years in the league, and won an MVP when Russell and Wilt were in their athletic primes. Just didn't have Kareem to play with until he was older.

sdot_thadon
01-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Consistently check pgs on defense.

SugarHill
01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Curry is on pace to be second to Magic, at worst

kshutts1
01-11-2016, 12:30 PM

So... what is your current top 10 PGs?

bizil
01-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Peak or best player wise, I think u could rank Steph as high as number three. Just behind Magic and Big O. GOAT wise, he doesn't have the OVERALL RESUME to be a top 10 GOAT PG yet. BUT he's on pace to become a top 10 GOAT PG quicker than ANYBODY!! He ALREADY has the ring and regular season MVP on his resume. Only other PG's to have BOTH are Magic, Big O, and Cousy.

Even if he NEVER won another MVP or ring, Steph could become a top three GOAT PG. All he has to do is stay healthy and keep putting the numbers.

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Oscar only averaged around a 30 point triple double his first seven or so years in the league, and won an MVP when Russell and Wilt were in their athletic primes. Just didn't have Kareem to play with until he was older.

Agreed.

I was just trying to say how rare it is to win MVP and the chip in the same season. Not trying to say that Steph will be better than Oscar (unless he goes on an insane run).

WorldWarriors
01-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Draymond has taken his game to another level no doubt. But last season Draymond wasn't playing nearly as well as he is now. Warriors were still a contender and Steph was the MVP. As much as the Warriors are a great team with great players, and valuable players like Dray, the team begins and ends with Steph.

riseagainst
01-11-2016, 01:15 PM
if he wins MVP and FMVP this year he is a lock for top 3.

Sakkreth
01-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Be the best player on his team when it matters.

PP34Deuce
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
He's having a ridiculous season but we need to see 4 more years of dominance to be top 10 all time.

He can safely say he's first ballot hall of famer.

Dr Hawk
01-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Be the best player on his team when it matters.

That's what he has done though

GOBB
01-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Top 10 already? :roll: You guys are funny. Keep it up

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Top 10 already? :roll: You guys are funny. Keep it up

How many point guards have a MVP and a ring?

Go on.

GOBB
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
How many point guards have a MVP and a ring?

Go on.

Nash has 2 MVPs. He's the GOAT PG :bowdown:

ISH logic woes.

Please by all means stop. Only 2 all nba teams? Tony Parker has 4 all nba team selections, 4 rings and a Finals MVP (something Curry doesnt have with his ring, lost it to a 6th man and was 3rd in finals mvp voting). So it only took Curry 1 season and 1/2 to be a top 10 PG of all time. Simply amazing (sarcasm)

Go on.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Magic
Isiah
Stockton

Nash, Frazier, Kidd, Paul are all arguable if you factor in their total careers vs Curry's still relatively early career.

If Curry keeps up the insanity he is capable of on the court for a nice long career then there's no reason he can't surpass everyone but Magic.

He needs another ring or two for sure, and MVP or FMVP accolades would help his case greatly as well.
I would rank as following: Magic, Isiah, Stockton, Curry, Cousy, Kidd, Frazier, Paul, Nash.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Tony Porker is butt.

GOBB
01-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Tony Porker is butt.

Clearly you missed the point. Steph Curry has a ways to go before he's a top 10 PG of all time. Key word? ALL TIME. You don't get that status overnight. And by people placing him top 10 easily after 1 1/2 year of greatness is hilarious. Prior to his MVP season when you talked best PGs in the NBA at that moment? Curry was not mentioned first second or third. 1 season and 1/2 later? He's not in the top 10 of all time status? :rolleyes:

I mentioned Tony Parker who is not a top 10 PG of all time who has rings, has more all nba selections (much better than all star) and a finals mvp. He has accolades. So don't feed me curry has mvp and a ring as your argument when a PG like Parker has done more and isn't top 10. You follow?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Dude is already a Top 10 PG.

Matter of fact, the only players at his position I'd surely take over him are Magic and Oscar (never saw The Big O play live). He's already better than CP3 ever was, and his scoring alone puts him over Nash and Kidd.

Legends66NBA7
01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
He's done more than enough to already be in it. Another MVP (very likely this season) and a title as the best player with all-time great production (again, very likely) will probably make him at the very least Top 5, if not higher.

Steph Curry is that good and has that much potential. And he's not even close past his prime. With his range, he'll probably play another decade or so if injuries don't pile up.

GOBB
01-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Yeah this board has gone down the toilet. I should retire.

Matter of fact, the only players at his position I'd surely take over him are Magic and Oscar (never saw The Big O play live). He's already better than CP3 ever was, and his scoring alone puts him over Nash and Kidd.

:coleman:

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Nash has 2 MVPs. He's the GOAT PG :bowdown:

ISH logic woes.

Please by all means stop. Only 2 all nba teams? Tony Parker has 4 all nba team selections, 4 rings and a Finals MVP (something Curry doesnt have with his ring, lost it to a 6th man and was 3rd in finals mvp voting). So it only took Curry 1 season and 1/2 to be a top 10 PG of all time. Simply amazing (sarcasm)

Go on.

If you wanna leave out context that's fine, everybody and their grandmothers know that the Warriors best player was Curry.

Nash has no rings to back up his MVPs, but he's up there in the top 10 for me.

Curry has a ring as the best player, and has a MVP (soon to be 2) while logging one of the best PG seasons of all time.

Legends66NBA7
01-11-2016, 04:21 PM

Think he can legit threaten Magic ?

What Steph does from 3 point range rivals that of what Magic does with his court vision.

GOBB
01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
If you wanna leave out context that's fine, everybody and their grandmothers know that the Warriors best player was Curry.

Nash has no rings to back up his MVPs, but he's up there in the top 10 for me.

Curry has a ring as the best player, and has a MVP (soon to be 2) while logging one of the best PG seasons of all time.

So Curry just needed 1 1/2 seasons to make it in the top 10 PGs of all time for you? That's awesome. Sky is the limit, why not the best player of all time now? How many rings/mvps does he need for that buddy? Curious at your criteria.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah this board has gone down the toilet. I should retire.

:coleman:

Are we discussing careers or just how they impact the game?

Steph might be top 10 if its the former, but definitely top 5 if its the latter.

Think he can legit threaten Magic ?

What Steph does from 3 point range rivals that of what Magic does with his court vision.

Tough to say. I don't believe he has the impact Magic did offensively, who despite playing more uptempo, also competed in a tougher era (handchecking and the physicality aspect).

Simply put, Magic wasn't your ordinary PG. Dude was a legit 6'9" that could see over defenses and was methodical in the post.

Arguably the GOAT offensive player if we're being honest.

If Curry can keep up the unbelivable shooting, continue to improve and consitently be efficient in the playoffs, he can definitely make it a conversation. Not sure he'll ever be considered "greater" though.

Jyap9675
01-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Win a ring with less talented players (Like Nash Suns) or with injured key players (i.e. Klay and Dray both injured)

Fire Colangelo
01-11-2016, 05:01 PM
So Curry just needed 1 1/2 seasons to make it in the top 10 PGs of all time for you? That's awesome. Sky is the limit, why not the best player of all time now? How many rings/mvps does he need for that buddy? Curious at your criteria.

Has any PG outside of Magic and Oscar had more success in these 1 1/2 season than Curry?

I value peak play a lot when ranking players, so yeah I have him ahead of someone like Parker who is clearly an inferior player.

I don't think he has a case for best player of all time, but if he wins 6+ championships and MVPs.... then he'll have a case. Anything is possible

bizil
01-11-2016, 05:04 PM
If people put Steph as a top ten PG in terms of peak and best player wise, Im good with that. In that realm, I think u can have him as high as #3. But GOAT wise, NO WAY IN HELL is Steph a top 10 GOAT yet:

9746 career points
Two All Star Games
Two ALL NBA teams

That resume ISN'T top 10 GOAT PG worthy. Steph hasn't put in ENOUGH WORK yet. And it TOTALLY disrespects the longevity of the legends. But he's well on his way to being a top ten GOAT PG. And should get their quicker than most.

THE FACT that many consider only Magic and Big O superior peak or better wise is EPIC! Curry and Westbrook have the potential to be top 5 GOAT PG's. Both are redefining the PG position literally at the same time. Their peak value is already top 5 caliber at the PG.

GOBB
01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Has any PG outside of Magic and Oscar had more success in these 1 1/2 season than Curry?

I value peak play a lot when ranking players, so yeah I have him ahead of someone like Parker who is clearly an inferior player.

I value resumes when it comes to player rankings. Curry resume just started getting some meaningful stuff last season. He has enough time to accumulate more accolades where one day we can place him amongst the top 10 PGs of all time. But he aint there yet, not close.

I don't think he has a case for best player of all time, but if he wins 6+ championships and MVPs.... then he'll have a case. Anything is possible

He wont get there.

winwin
01-11-2016, 05:32 PM
^^^ salty lebron stan

houston
01-11-2016, 07:04 PM
resume still building

Straight_Ballin
01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Peak or best player wise, I think u could rank Steph as high as number three. Just behind Magic and Big O. GOAT wise, he doesn't have the OVERALL RESUME to be a top 10 GOAT PG yet. BUT he's on pace to become a top 10 GOAT PG quicker than ANYBODY!! He ALREADY has the ring and regular season MVP on his resume. Only other PG's to have BOTH are Magic, Big O, and Cousy.

Even if he NEVER won another MVP or ring, Steph could become a top three GOAT PG. All he has to do is stay healthy and keep putting the numbers.

Can you imagine Cousy growing up at the same time as Curry and playing in today's league with today's regiment of training and increased knowledge of the game and emphasis on defense?

He'd be like an an enhanced version of Nash/Price/Kerr/Kidd/Curry/Zeke all in one. I don't even want to fathom how good the Big O would be.....

broy_mvp
01-11-2016, 09:34 PM
He is already top 2. A couple more rings and mvp's and he will be goat.

Wade's Rings
01-11-2016, 09:56 PM
CP3 has become an after thought thanks to Curry.

GoSpursGo1984
01-12-2016, 03:58 AM

Magic
Isiah
Stockton

Do not think Kidd or Paul have any argument over him except longevity. He won as Championship and has 1 MVP with another one probably coming that is a lot better then those two.