PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks Curry as the 4th GOAT PG

Ca$H
01-12-2016, 06:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever

What will it take for Curry to surpass Magic as the GOAT PG?

Sarcastic
01-12-2016, 06:05 PM
4 more rings, at least.

CJ Mustard
01-12-2016, 06:06 PM
At what point was John Stockton ever as good as Curry is now (or last year, or the year before)? No way he ranks ahead of Curry. Curry already has a ring as the man too, something Stockton could never accomplish as the second best player on his team.

Gus Hemmingway
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

A finals mvp vote:applause:

FreezingTsmoove
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Isaiah has accomplished much more against elite competition

Steph is a better player but it is too early to say he's better than IT

Just regular media bias toward one of the greatest PG's in NBA History....Like always

Curry hasn't even had a finals game worth mentioning but IT has some that have gone down as all time great performances

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-12-2016, 06:08 PM
I might rank Isiah ahead of Stockton, and CP3 over both, but I've been saying Curry is the third greatest at his position. Not in career or team achievements, but in style of play and impact.

Curry has revolutionized the game with his shooting (with zero handhcecking and limited physicality his skills are more pronounced).

WorldWarriors
01-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Way too soon. Love him. He's on my team but come on. :roll:

Akrazotile
01-12-2016, 06:11 PM
At what point was John Stockton ever as good as Curry is now (or last year, or the year before)? No way he ranks ahead of Curry. Curry already has a ring as the man too, something Stockton could never accomplish as the second best player on his team.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/56/566b2ed33ef1d1875505284a8319ef698460651fbba53bcc35 68991a1af553db.jpg

riseagainst
01-12-2016, 06:12 PM
I think if Curry doesn't get any major injuries and he keeps this up for several years in his prime, he has the goods to surpass Magic. Heck, he ever has the goods to surpass MJ.

Ca$H
01-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Way too soon. Love him. He's on my team but come on. :roll:

I think Curry moves to #2 with an MVP, FMVP, and ring this year.

GOBB
01-12-2016, 06:21 PM

He runs a team better, better passer, playmaker, defender.

Stockton has never taken more than 12 FGA per game in reg season. Curry is at 19 FGA, past two seasons over 17 FGA. Curry is a scoring PG. Much like Rose, Westbrook etc. So you're going to penalize Stockton because he didn't need to shoot 18-19 times a game? You give Stockton that many attempts you dont think the scoring avg is closer to the two? John didn't need to score with Karl Malone on his team and the abilities to run the PG position as its defined.

9 time assist leader (something curry can never accomplish)
5 time nba all defense (something curry will never accomplish)
8 time all nba team (curry only has 2 yet he's better than john/4th all time)

None of that matters because Curry can jack 3's effortlessly I guess. Cool.

Stockton avg over 13 assists in a season 5 times. Over 14 assists twice.

At age 27 curry age, John abg 17ppg 14.5apg 2.7spg shooting 51% FG, 42% 3pt 82% FT with only 3.5 turnovers per game. Curry avg those turnovers now. :oldlol:

So yeah how could John ever be better. Curry has an NBA title but lost Finals MVP to a 6th man. :biggums:

bizil
01-12-2016, 06:23 PM
I might rank Isiah ahead of Stockton, and CP3 over both, but I've been saying Curry is the third greatest at his position. Not in career or team achievements, but in style of play and impact.

Curry has revolutionized the game with his shooting (with zero handhcecking and limited physicality his skills are more pronounced).

I agree with that! Peak or best player wise, I think Curry is ONLY behind Magic and Big O. For me, I think my top five PG's peak or best player wise are:

Magic
Big O
Curry
Westbrook
Isiah

I think its time for Westbrook to start being seen in this regard as well peak or best player wise. Westbrook is like peak David Thompson with the skills to be a great PG.

k0kakw0rld
01-12-2016, 06:24 PM
4 more rings, at least.
How about starting by winning one FMVP :confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
GOAT PG by FAR...

no other PG comes close to his peak :pimp:

GoSpursGo1984
01-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Putting Steph in top ten is makes more sense then putting Chris Paul in the top ten.

Levity
01-12-2016, 06:35 PM

one or two gosu seasons dont outweigh stockons very impressive career; both individual and team accomplishments.

however, if curry keeps performing close to what he has down these past few seasons for the remainder of his career (not necessarily his twilight years) then he'll obviously pass Stockton and his longevity

houston
01-12-2016, 06:37 PM
curry ain't 4th all-time great PG

:oldlol: @ Nash and Stockton better than Jason Kidd and Frazier lolol

WorldWarriors
01-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I think Curry moves to #2 with an MVP, FMVP, and ring this year.

I think it's just too soon. Those guys have had some very long careers.

Jameerthefear
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
curry's season so far this year is arguably the GOAT pg season... so it's not farfetched tbh

r0drig0lac
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
:facepalm

ArbitraryWater
01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
curry's season so far this year is arguably the GOAT pg season... so it's not farfetched tbh

Even '87 Magic has nuffin on this season :bowdown:

Ca$H
01-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Arguably we might be witnessing the GOAT PG(Curry), GOAT SF(Bran), and GOAT PF(Duncan). They are the main contenders to win the title too. What a time to be alive!

GP_20
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Absolute travesty to not include Gary Payton

PP34Deuce
01-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Stephen Curry is tough to evaluate because he's virtually a SG who has competent above average PG skills. He's extremely dangerous as a shooter off the dribble and he's definitely changed how teams defend the 3 pointer.

I still can't put him over IT or Chris Paul yet.

I had the chance to see Zeke Thomas and he was essentially what Chris Paul is-A guy who could score 25PPG and still run a team to the elite degree.

Curry did not have a dominant NBA finals. Zeke had several and clutch defensive and offensive plays throughout the playoffs.

Golden State was built perfectly for Curry's talents though. He's masked by other very good defenders and he has shooters. This Warriors team is like the Phoenix suns on steroids with defense(nash Era)

dunksby
01-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Man the PG pool got to be really shallow.

BigMacAttack
01-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Stephen Curry is tough to evaluate because he's virtually a SG who has competent above average PG skills. He's extremely dangerous as a shooter off the dribble and he's definitely changed how teams defend the 3 pointer.

I had the chance to see Zeke Thomas and he was essentially what Chris Paul is-A guy who could score 25PPG and still run a team to the elite degree.

Curry did not have a dominant NBA finals. Zeke had several and clutch defensive and offensive plays throughout the playoffs.

Golden State was built perfectly for Curry's talents though. He's masked by other very good defenders and he has shooters. This Warriors team is like the Phoenix suns on steroids with defense(nash Era)

He is easily above Paul now come on :facepalm

Bird
01-12-2016, 07:26 PM
curry ain't 4th all-time great PG

:oldlol: @ Nash and Stockton better than Jason Kidd and Frazier lolol

I'd take Stockton over Kidd, but the Frazier ranking does have me scratching my head.

Their list is definitely not a great one.

WorldWarriors
01-12-2016, 07:28 PM

I don't agree with the list but I have an issue with the bolded.

You say Curry did not have a dominant finals. Yet you did not say Isiah had one either. You compare Curry's finals to some key plays by Isiah in the playoffs.

Curry killed the playoffs. He was averaging 30 pts per game until the finals. So if you're gonna compare their post seasons you have to do it fairly.

bizil
01-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Awesome post!! For me, the PERFECT PG was always a pass first floor general who could ALSO dominate scoring the rock. Those are the guys like Magic, Isiah, Big O, CP3, Frazier, Payton, etc. If I had an NFL QB equivalent, it would be guys who were pocket passers first, but were also very athletic and can scramble. So guys like Rodgers, Elway, and Young.

In this new age of PG's, most of the top PG's are score first kind of PG's. For all intents and purposes they are small SG's or combo style guards. Some of them are very good to great passers, but they do it from a score first mentality. So while I think Curry is a better player than Isiah or CP3, he ISN'T a better PG in general. If I was a dominant scorer, I think a guy like Isiah or CP3 would enhance me more.

Some of the greatest SG's of all time such as MJ, West, Pistol Pete, and Wade have played this role for their teams. They would play the PG postion FLAT OUT at times and put up great numbers. The MAIN DIFFERENCE is guards like Steph, Westbrook, and Irving SIZE WISE are more suited to play the PG position.

houston
01-12-2016, 08:32 PM
I'd take Stockton over Kidd, but the Frazier ranking does have me scratching my head.

Their list is definitely not a great one.

Stockton was cool no doubt. But Kidd NJ years really set them apart and of course winning a ring as his team leading playmaker.

JohnFreeman
01-12-2016, 08:36 PM
How is CP3 better than Nash or Kidd?

Smoke117
01-12-2016, 08:49 PM
How is CP3 better than Nash or Kidd?

How is he not? Kidd is a greater player, but cp3 is clearly the more skilled and talented...aka the better player.

guy
01-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Maybe Isiah should be ahead of Curry, but not Stockton. Curry has proven he can lead a team to a title. We saw enough of Stockton to see he couldn't. And he's only going up.

JohnFreeman
01-12-2016, 08:53 PM
How is he not? Kidd is a greater player, but cp3 is clearly the more skilled and talented...aka the better player.
I think Kidd is better imo

Meticode
01-12-2016, 08:56 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous to me that they even have him in the top 5 at the moment. He's 27 years old and only in his 7th season. He has 1 MVP and 1 ring and didn't even when Finals MVP. If he had a career threatening injury there is no way he would be in the top 5 right now. He just doesn't have the long successful career yet.

If he can do 2-3 more seasons of something what he's doing right now or near it, sure, put him up there. But it's is absolutely ****ing blasphemy he is ahead of Isiah Thomas who led the Pistons against the likes of a young Michael Jordan and a Boston Celtics team they always had as a roadblock to finally win two rings in a row. Isaiah played in arguably the hardest era of basketball in terms of what teams he had to deal with to get there. All-time Celtics, All-time Lakers, and a player who would turn Chicago into a dynasty.

Meticode
01-12-2016, 08:57 PM
When talking about players he have to talk about accolades. Kidd has a ring, Paul has never even sniffed the Finals. Paul hasn't been on the big stage yet to even prove his worth as a all-time great.

houston
01-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Maybe Isiah should be ahead of Curry, but not Stockton. Curry has proven he can lead a team to a title. We saw enough of Stockton to see he couldn't. And he's only going up.

exactly

it a goofy list anyways wait when curry got 10 years under his belt then we can really judge.

Frazier,Zeke,Kidd,Magic,Oscar really the top 5 all-time great PG

Patrick Chewing
01-12-2016, 09:01 PM

You're just basing that on points. Stockton was the better passer and defender without question.

guy
01-12-2016, 09:04 PM
exactly

it a goofy list anyways wait when curry got 10 years under his belt then we can really judge.

Frazier,Zeke,Kidd,Magic,Oscar really the top 5 all-time great PG

I think you misunderstood my post. I have no problem with Curry at #4. Isiah and Stockton should switch places though.

bizil
01-12-2016, 09:05 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous to me that they even have him in the top 5 at the moment. He's 27 years old and only in his 7th season. He has 1 MVP and 1 ring and didn't even when Finals MVP. If he had a career threatening injury there is no way he would be in the top 5 right now. He just doesn't have the long successful career yet.

If he can do 2-3 more seasons of something what he's doing right now or near it, sure, put him up there. But it's is absolutely ****ing blasphemy he is ahead of Isiah Thomas who led the Pistons against the likes of a young Michael Jordan and a Boston Celtics team they always had as a roadblock to finally win two rings in a row. Isaiah played in arguably the hardest era of basketball in terms of what teams he had to deal with to get there. All-time Celtics, All-time Lakers, and a player who would turn Chicago into a dynasty.

I agree! GOAT wise, NO WAY IN HELL is Steph in the top 10 PG's yet. I think people STILL confuse peak-best player status with GOAT status. After MJ's 3rd year in the league, he was CLEARLY the best player in the world. But GOAT wise, he wasn't above Bird or Magic yet. Once MJ got his first three peat, THEN u could argue he was above Bird and Magic GOAT wise.

And even as of now, I don't think its set in stone that Steph is the best player in the world. U could argue Lebron, Durant, and Westbrook over him. The MAIN THING that those three have over Steph is the ability to overwhelm opponents with a size, height, or athletic ability advantage virtually EVERY NIGHT! Bron, Durant, and Westbrook are freaks of nature.

Naero
01-12-2016, 09:10 PM
He'll probably never surpass Magic.

If you want a reasonable chance to crack the top-five echelon, you better dominate from the outset or your career

tontoz
01-12-2016, 09:25 PM
4th is fine for Curry now. Longevity matters he just needs to stay healthy to move up. This is only his 7th season.

His numbers this season are like a video game. :bowdown:

IGOTGAME
01-12-2016, 09:37 PM

He is borderline not a point guard. If we gonna call him a point guard then might as well put AI on the list.

Ca$H
01-12-2016, 09:44 PM
He is borderline not a point guard. If we gonna call him a point guard then might as well put AI on the list.

Even if you call AI a point guard he wouldn't make the top 10 list.

Ca$H
01-12-2016, 09:47 PM
I agree! GOAT wise, NO WAY IN HELL is Steph in the top 10 PG's yet. I think people STILL confuse peak-best player status with GOAT status. After MJ's 3rd year in the league, he was CLEARLY the best player in the world. But GOAT wise, he wasn't above Bird or Magic yet. Once MJ got his first three peat, THEN u could argue he was above Bird and Magic GOAT wise.

And even as of now, I don't think its set in stone that Steph is the best player in the world. U could argue Lebron, Durant, and Westbrook over him. The MAIN THING that those three have over Steph is the ability to overwhelm opponents with a size, height, or athletic ability advantage virtually EVERY NIGHT! Bron, Durant, and Westbrook are freaks of nature.

"To create All-Time #NBArank, we put together a ballot with the 150 greatest players ever, factoring in peak and career value. Then our ESPN expert panel voted on thousands of head-to-head matchups, resulting in an all-time NBA Top 100."

DMAVS41
01-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see Curry have a bit more longevity before he's put that high in terms of overall, but...like I've said before...I haven't seen a pg play at this level since Magic.

He's definitely playing at a higher level than Stockton ever did...so I'm assuming longevity is playing a role

Regardless, Curry is as good or better than anyone other than Magic in history imo.

IGOTGAME
01-12-2016, 09:59 PM
I'd like to see Curry have a bit more longevity before he's put that high in terms of overall, but...like I've said before...I haven't seen a pg play at this level since Magic.

He's definitely playing at a higher level than Stockton ever did...so I'm assuming longevity is playing a role

Regardless, Curry is as good or better than anyone other than Magic in history imo.

Its only been 40 games at this level. Its not like its been a full season yet

DMAVS41
01-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Its only been 40 games at this level. Its not like its been a full season yet

I include last year and this year...I know he wasn't this good last year...that isn't what I'm saying.

I'm saying the level Curry played at last year...and now this year...there simply hasn't been a pg, since Magic, that has played better than that imo.

I don't think Stockton ever did...Paul was around the level of 15 Curry at his peak, but I'd give a slight edge to Curry for peak play thus far in their careers.

We'll see if it continues...being great for 10 plus years is a really important part of being a great basketball player in my opinion.

There are some caveats of course, but I think that really matters.

Marchesk
01-12-2016, 10:19 PM

1964: Oscar wins MVP with 31.4/9.9/11.0

The only perimeter player to win MVP in the 60s. Oscar did that during Wilt and Russell's athletic prime, in an era dominated by bigs.

Marchesk
01-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Also, everyone forgets that Tiny Archibald led the league in scoring and assists one season:

34/11.4 and shot 48.8%

People are prisoners of the moment and forget that there were great performances in the past as well.

DavisIsMyUniBro
01-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Isaiah has accomplished much more against elite competition

Steph is a better player but it is too early to say he's better than IT

Just regular media bias toward one of the greatest PG's in NBA History....Like always

Curry hasn't even had a finals game worth mentioning but IT has some that have gone down as all time great performances

Peak for Peak, Curry is better than Isiah by such a insanely ridiculous amount it isnt even funny.

Jameerthefear
01-12-2016, 10:27 PM
1964: Oscar wins MVP with 31.4/9.9/11.0

The only perimeter player to win MVP in the 60s. Oscar did that during Wilt and Russell's athletic prime, in an era dominated by bigs.
stats are inflated as hell back then.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
01-12-2016, 11:10 PM
:cheers:

Heavincent
01-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Curry becoming an all time great is a formality at this point. A freak injury is the only thing that can stop him. He's playing at a level no PG has reached since Magic.

People think he's gonna regress all the sudden? :oldlol: He's been a stud since his rookie year.

Marchesk
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM
stats are inflated as hell back then.

The higher pace doesn't change the fact that nobody else put up those numbers, and that Oscar was the only perimeter player to win MVP that decade.

Also, assists weren't inflated, or very little.

Odinn
01-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Way too early to tell.
Sure, Curry led his team to the title and got an MVP and on his way to 2nd one.
But it's like saying "Chris Paul is the 4th greatest PG in the history" in January 2009. Paul* could have won the MVP in 2007-08 and he was competing with LeBron, Wade and Kobe (all, way better at the time) for the best in the league title in 2008-09.

Curry isn't even at the halfway of the road. You should wait at least a few more years to talk about his historical starture.

---

BTW, what bothers me on the list is they claim they put weight to peak play and then rank Stockton 3rd. Als "career value"? He's listed above MVPs, FMVPs and NBA champions with a similar level of play.

Ca$H
01-13-2016, 12:52 AM
Way too early to tell.
Sure, Curry led his team to the title and got an MVP and on his way to 2nd one.
But it's like saying "Chris Paul is the 4th greatest PG in the history" in January 2009. Curry could have won the MVP in 2007-08 and he was competing with LeBron, Wade and Kobe (all, way better at the time) for the best in the league title in 2008-09.

Curry isn't even at the halfway of the road. You should wait at least a few more years to talk about his historical starture.

---

BTW, what bothers me on the list is they claim they put weight to peak play and then rank Stockton 3rd. Als "career value"? He's listed above MVPs, FMVPs and NBA champions with a similar level of play.

It should be peak play ranking + career ranking divided by 2 = overall ranking.

CakeorDeath
01-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Holy crap the man with two records that will never be broken is getting hated on in this thread.

Two problems generally plague ISH ranking threads: 1. Too much emphasis on scoring, and 2. Too much emphasis on team accolades (i.e. rings) even though you are evaluating individuals. How much control does an individual have if he is never on the league's best team?

Stockton is nailed for never winning a ring, but some of you rank Paul and Nash above him, two players that have never even been to the Finals?

Kidd's years in NJ put him above Stockton? You clearly weren't alive to see Stockton's peak. People were jizzing themselves a few years ago when Rondo started the first two months of the season averaging 13 assists. Stock averaged over 13 assists for 5 years. Stocks peak was basically 17/13 with 3 steals shooting 51%. He had two full seasons averaging over 14 assists. You know who else averaged 14 assists over a season? NOBODY. EVER.

Curry has already accomplished more than Stock ever did? Is Curry going to retire with an unbreakable assist record? An unbreakable steals record? That is, unbreakable records on both sides of the ball?

Don't get me wrong, Curry is incredible. But he's only been so for about 2 seasons. He hasn't passed a man that did things that have never been done before and probably will never happen again. If he keeps this level of play up for several more years, I won't have an issue with people arguing him over Stockton. But until then, Stock has earned his place.

And no more Kidd/Nash/CP3 over Stock. Not even close, none of them.

And get off my lawn!!

houston
01-13-2016, 01:57 AM
I think you misunderstood my post. I have no problem with Curry at #4. Isiah and Stockton should switch places though.

I was just talking in general. You right about Stockton rank so high. I'll rank Jason Kidd and Frazier over Stockton too.

Frazier game influence Thomas game. Frazier was the Micheal Jordan of PG with being great 2 way player. And he was clearly overall in his career Knicks best player on his championship teams.

Jason Kidd all-around game from the PG position what makes him so special. Third all-time in triple doubles. Plus besides Zeke he made Finals runs without no all-nba/MVP big helping him out.

Now its interesting with Stockton and CP3/Nash debate cause really all those guys are very similar dude to the they can't takeover offense abilities. Usually the PG's that rank high all-time great could get buckets when their teams really need it.

BigTicket
01-13-2016, 04:40 AM
I think it's a bit too early to rank Curry 4th, but it'll be justified very soon, so I don't really mind.

What I do object to is CP3 ranked 5th, and Cousy all the way down at 10th.

Cousy was an MVP, a 6-time champion, and 10x All-NBA first team. WTF has Paul done to compete with that ?

greatest-ever
01-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Um maybe because Stockton has like tripple Curry's longevity? Careers aren't valued by just what you do in 2 or 3 seasons.

kennethgriffin
01-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Putting curry over isiah thomas already is extremely disrespectful and ignorant

Espn should be ashamed of themselves

Zeke is more than likely a top 20 player of all time

So that means espn has curry in their top 20 already

scm5
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM

You either didn't watch the Finals or didn't understand what was going on. Curry was getting double teamed hard the second he touched the ball... anywhere on the court. The game plan was to use that against the Cavs and it worked. It cost him the FMVP, but it worked.

I don't think following the game plan to eventually win an NBA title should count against you.

tontoz
01-13-2016, 01:05 PM

In his first Finals appearance Zeke averaged 20/9 with a TS of 51.7%.

Last year in the Finals Curry averaged 26/6 with a TS of 58.5%.

tontoz
01-13-2016, 01:13 PM
I think it's a bit too early to rank Curry 4th, but it'll be justified very soon, so I don't really mind.

What I do object to is CP3 ranked 5th, and Cousy all the way down at 10th.

Cousy was an MVP, a 6-time champion, and 10x All-NBA first team. WTF has Paul done to compete with that ?

Cousy is too high. He couldn't shoot and his teams didn't do anything until Russell got there.

Keep in mind there were only 8 teams in the NBA when they won their first title.

FireDavidKahn
01-13-2016, 01:16 PM
People just never like to put current players over past. Past players always get overrated. Curry, right now, IS one of the best PG's ever and we are only getting started with him.

Harison
01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
He runs a team better, better passer, playmaker, defender.

Stockton has never taken more than 12 FGA per game in reg season. Curry is at 19 FGA, past two seasons over 17 FGA. Curry is a scoring PG. Much like Rose, Westbrook etc. So you're going to penalize Stockton because he didn't need to shoot 18-19 times a game? You give Stockton that many attempts you dont think the scoring avg is closer to the two? John didn't need to score with Karl Malone on his team and the abilities to run the PG position as its defined.

9 time assist leader (something curry can never accomplish)
5 time nba all defense (something curry will never accomplish)
8 time all nba team (curry only has 2 yet he's better than john/4th all time)

None of that matters because Curry can jack 3's effortlessly I guess. Cool.

Stockton avg over 13 assists in a season 5 times. Over 14 assists twice.

At age 27 curry age, John abg 17ppg 14.5apg 2.7spg shooting 51% FG, 42% 3pt 82% FT with only 3.5 turnovers per game. Curry avg those turnovers now. :oldlol:

So yeah how could John ever be better. Curry has an NBA title but lost Finals MVP to a 6th man. :biggums:
Quality post :applause:

Curry is Top10 PG All-time now, and soon may even crack into Top5. When his career is over, maybe even Top3, but as of now - Magic, Isiah, Stockton and Oscar are clearly ahead, some others in conversation too.

IncarceratedBob
01-13-2016, 02:01 PM
this list ranks peak play. not overall accomplishments

Mr Feeny
01-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Arguably we might be witnessing the GOAT PG(Curry), GOAT SF(Bran), and GOAT PF(Duncan). They are the main contenders to win the title too. What a time to be alive!It's incredible when you think about it. I think you might be right, too.

zeerghit
01-13-2016, 02:48 PM
already 4? this is f*cking joke, derrick rose all over again.. espn = trash

Thechosen1
01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

then cp3 should be way higher

zeerghit
01-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Magic, Oscar,Isiah, Stockton, West, Kidd, Frazier, Payton, Nash, Paul, Cousy, Tiny,Dennis johnson, Tim hardaway, parker, Kevin johnson > at this moment, curry needs more than one season.. i need at least 2 more mvp caliber seasons to put him in top5

zeerghit
01-13-2016, 02:57 PM
oh, my bad when, his peak top 5 worthy

tontoz
01-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Magic, Oscar,Isiah, Stockton, West, Kidd, Frazier, Payton, Nash, Paul, Cousy, Tiny,Dennis johnson, Tim hardaway, parker, Kevin johnson > at this moment, curry needs more than one season.. i need at least 2 more mvp caliber seasons to put him in top5

Yeah because all those guys had multiple MVP caliber seasons. :rolleyes:

swagga
01-13-2016, 03:12 PM
isiah thomas that willed his team against the 88 lakers and got the FMVP against the GOAT pg.
OR
curry who got shut down by delladova and didn't get a single FMVP vote against a dleague team led by lebron

tough one tbh :roll:

tontoz
01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
isiah thomas that willed his team against the 88 lakers and got the FMVP against the GOAT pg.
OR
curry who got shut down by delladova and didn't get a single FMVP vote against a dleague team led by lebron

tough one tbh :roll:

Are you retarded or do you just do good impressions? Isiah wasn't even the best offensive player on his own team in the '88 finals and Isiah's stats in that Finals aren't even close to what Curry did last year.

And the Pistons lost that series.

Isiah averages 20/9 on with a 51.7% TS and he is "willing his team" but when Curry averages 26/6 with a 58.5% TS he is being shut down?

kshutts1
01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
There's already been a thread about top 10 PGs ever, but I still find ESPNs list a little silly. No surprise there. I have not been to an ESPN site in about a year for a reason.

My list (tiers not in order due to differences in era and play style):

Magic
Oscar
Stockton
Cousy

Zeke
Frazier (I was told to look in to him and I have)

Paul
Nash
Kidd

That's 9. The 10th spot is, more or less, a toss-up between...

Payton (edit because I forgot him)
Curry
Parker
AI if you call him a PG
Mark Jackson is an outlier, but those assists are hard to argue

Essentially, if Curry's not top 10 now, he should shortly pass Parker. I may be forgetting someone, or overlooking someone, though, like Pistol, Marbury (lol), Price, Porter, KJ, etc., because honestly? Including Curry, and all 7 of his seasons, kinda opens the door for other, shorter-term players, to be considered.

Marchesk
01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
So Curry has passed Payton already, even though Payton was a great defender while being a team leader in scoring and assists?

Marchesk
01-13-2016, 03:27 PM
People just never like to put current players over past. Past players always get overrated. Curry, right now, IS one of the best PG's ever and we are only getting started with him.

Past players have their entire careers available for us to evaluate, while current players are usually only partly done, and everyone is a prisoner of the moment.

It's like everyone forgets the kind of praise Chris Paul, Jason Kidd or Isaiah Thomas were getting during their primes.

swagga
01-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Are you retarded or do you just do good impressions? Isiah wasn't even the best offensive player on his own team in the '88 finals and Isiah's stats in that Finals aren't even close to what Curry did last year.

Isiah averages 20/9 on with a 51.7% TS and he is "willing his team" but when Curry averages 26/6 with a 58.5% TS he is being shut down?

watch the game not the boxscore son

lol he didn't will his team :roll:

tontoz
01-13-2016, 03:35 PM
watch the game not the boxscore son

lol he didn't will his team :roll:

I did and THEY LOST. Can't win the Finals MVP when you lose the series son.

zeerghit
01-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Yeah because all those guys had multiple MVP caliber seasons. :rolleyes:
yes they had

tontoz
01-13-2016, 05:19 PM
yes they had

Isiah was never even close to winning the MVP. Dennis Johnson?

:roll:

HurricaneKid
01-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Its pretty comical when they put the resume right next to the rankings.

Curry:
Two Time All Star

CP3:
7 time All NBA selection

Its called "recency bias". Curry has been amazing for the last year and a half. But its still just been a year and a half. I'll take this year and a half up there with 87 Magic, etc. But you aren't an all time great for 115 game stretch.

And Cousy isn't in my top 10. I know its a time period issue but he was a horribly inefficient player that won because he played with 9 HoFers, not because he was a special player. But I tend to downgrade all players of that period.

tontoz
01-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Curry:
Two Time All Star
Two Time All NBA selection
NBA MVP

CP3:
7 time All NBA selection

Its called "recency bias". Curry has been amazing for the last year and a half. But its still just been a year and a half. I'll take this year and a half up there with 87 Magic, etc. But you aren't an all time great for 115 game stretch.

And Cousy isn't in my top 10. I know its a time period issue but he was a horribly inefficient player that won because he played with 9 HoFers, not because he was a special player. But I tend to downgrade all players of that period.

Fixed that for you. Also Steph was setting 3 pt records before he won the MVP. It wouldn't be hard to argue that he has actually changed the way teams play. Teams are taking more 3s this year than ever.

But I agree Paul should be ranked higher and Cousy lower. I also agree that Steph needs to keep this up for awhile to stay in this spot or be ranked higher.

juju151111
01-13-2016, 06:06 PM

Curry:
Two Time All Star

CP3:
7 time All NBA selection

I think you forgot Mvp and best player on his championship team. Add that to the list.

4 Inches
01-13-2016, 06:08 PM
The media straight loving this lightskin dude cotdamn
I know David Stern wanna come outta retirement to exploit this pretty boy.

zeerghit
01-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Isiah was never even close to winning the MVP. Dennis Johnson?

:roll:
so u saying me 1.5 season is enough to go ahead isiah, tiny, paul, dennis, tim, payton, or others? YES?
gtfo with this bullshit.
and im not curry hater.. but this is just too much

TheBigVeto
01-13-2016, 06:59 PM

Trick question. Magic is not GOAT PG.

Ca$H
01-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Trick question. Magic is not GOAT PG.

:biggums:

tontoz
01-13-2016, 07:28 PM
so u saying me 1.5 season is enough to go ahead isiah, tiny, paul, dennis, tim, payton, or others? YES?
gtfo with this bullshit.
and im not curry hater.. but this is just too much

Why does Curry have to have two more MVP caliber seasons to be ranked ahead of Isiah, who never had one and never even got close?

KyrieTheFuture
01-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Yea but Curry also got passed up on FMVP for Iggy. I'll never understand why I'm the only person who finds this incredibly embarrassing for him.

catch24
01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Yea but Curry also got passed up on FMVP for Iggy. I'll never understand why I'm the only person who finds this incredibly embarrassing for him.

You're not the only one, but Iguodala never deserved the thing. Most people here said dude was the wrong choice and that Lebron missed jumpshots all postseason...meaning Iguodala didn't do much to stop him regardless.

tontoz
01-13-2016, 09:20 PM

Probably because Steph won the league MVP and won a championship. Doubt he cares. He was probably happy for Iggy.

TheMarkMadsen
01-13-2016, 09:22 PM

because there is nothing even remotely embarrassing about being the best player on your team when they win a championship and while you put up 28/5/6 in the playoffs and 26/5/6 in the finals on incredible efficiency :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: