PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Orlando Magic & Cleveland Cavaliers TRADE! Harris sent packing

Fallen Angel
01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Source tells ESPN the Cavs have traded Joe Harris to ORL w/ a protected 2017 pick for a future protected 2020 pick. Will save CLE $3 mill

Cavs' Joe Harris to have potential season-ending foot surgery

How dumb are the Tragic :facepalm

Levity
01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
bagelred with the nod of approval :cheers:

Levity
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
this move has lebron written all over it. fcking colluder :no:

MP.Trey
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Whew. Thought we were getting Tobias for a sec. Was worried about who we'd be giving up.

Mawly-G
01-12-2016, 07:09 PM
this move has lebron written all over it. fcking colluder :no:
Came in here thinking this was about Tobias Harris as well lol

PP34Deuce
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
The logic I've heard is it gives cleveland chance to sign a disgruntled but effective nba vet for minimum.

FreezingTsmoove
01-12-2016, 07:12 PM
you lil sneak :rolleyes:

****ing LeBron how much more young talent is this guy going to screw up. 2020 draft class is already insanely deep

Gus Hemmingway
01-12-2016, 07:13 PM
:lol less deadweight for Lebron to carry around:lol

RedBlackAttack
01-12-2016, 09:01 PM
The logic I've heard is it gives cleveland chance to sign a disgruntled but effective nba vet for minimum.
Don't know about a "disgruntled" vet. Banter has been volleyed around about Markieff Morris, but nothing substantial.

Here is why the trade was done from the Cavs' perspective (imo obviously):

1. Jared Cunningham took the spot on the roster Harris was supposed to occupy... young guard who can come on in limited minutes or in a pinch and be a steady hand. Blatt didn't trust Harris in that role and, after two years, things likely weren't going to change. And, to make things worse for Harris, Cunningham comes with a cheaper pricetag.

2. This opens up a roster spot which -- if I had to guess -- will be filled by a rim protector. Whether they do it via trade or pick up someone, Mozgov's continued regression is getting worrisome and they need insurance in case he never returns to his 2014-15 form. At this point, freeing up that roster spot is more important than Harris' potential as a player at some point down the road.

3. The Cavs get another trade exception which they may or may not use at the deadline (I'd guess they won't use it).

The trade makes all the sense in the world for the Cavs when you break it down this way. Now, why the Magic made this move, I can't say for sure because I think Harris was on his way to being cut if they couldn't move him. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another Danny Green situation.

SwishSquared
01-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Don't know about a "disgruntled" vet. Banter has been volleyed around about Markieff Morris, but nothing substantial.

Here is why the trade was done from the Cavs' perspective (imo obviously):

1. Jared Cunningham took the spot on the roster Harris was supposed to occupy... young guard who can come on in limited minutes or in a pinch and be a steady hand. Blatt didn't trust Harris in that role and, after two years, things likely weren't going to change. And, to make things worse for Harris, Cunningham comes with a cheaper pricetag.

2. This opens up a roster spot which -- if I had to guess -- will be filled by a rim protector. Whether they do it via trade or pick up someone, Mozgov's continued regression is getting worrisome and they need insurance in case he never returns to his 2014-15 form. At this point, freeing up that roster spot is more important than Harris' potential as a player at some point down the road.

3. The Cavs get another trade exception which they may or may not use at the deadline (I'd guess they won't use it).

The trade makes all the sense in the world for the Cavs when you break it down this way. Now, why the Magic made this move, I can't say for sure because I think Harris was on his way to being cut if they couldn't move him. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another Danny Green situation.I think they're giving up a 2020 2nd round pick (via a different squad) to get a 2017 pick. Maybe they hope Harris turns it around post-surgery and can be a decent bench piece?

Hey Yo
01-12-2016, 09:16 PM
"The Cavs sent Harris, cash considerations and the Sacramento Kings' 2017 protected second-round pick to the Magic in exchange for the Portland Trail Blazers' protected 2020 second-round pick, the team announced on Tuesday

Both picks involved in the deal are top-55 protected. Cleveland gave $1 million in the swap but will still stand to save $2.9 million in salary and tax fees should it keep its roster as is. However, with 14 players on the roster, the Cavs will likely be a top destination for veterans receiving contract buyouts in the coming months. Opening up a roster spot also gives the Cavs flexibility to use one of the two trade exceptions they have in their coffers, which are worth $10.5 million and $2.8 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14557501/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-joe-harris-orlando-magic

outbreak
01-12-2016, 11:33 PM
How dumb are the Tragic :facepalm
Why are they dumb? They essentially swap second round picks which are so heavily protected that wont happen anyway and the orlando owner made a reported 1mil in cash after paying out 250k owed on harris's waiving which has already happened. We had the cap soace and don't pay any luxury tax on it so its free money. Hardly a dumb move. This is real life not nba2k too so build relationships with other gms actually matters for the future