PDA

View Full Version : How many Regular Season wins will the GS Warriors end up with?

Tarik One
01-12-2016, 07:54 PM

That's my number and I'm sticking to it.

VengefulAngel
01-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Thunderfan86
01-12-2016, 07:57 PM

BrainDead
01-12-2016, 07:59 PM

ISHGoat
01-12-2016, 07:59 PM

bigkingsfan
01-12-2016, 08:25 PM

TrueBlue89
01-12-2016, 08:28 PM

AnaheimLakers24
01-12-2016, 08:30 PM

HylianNightmare
01-12-2016, 08:35 PM

robert de niro
01-12-2016, 08:37 PM

bdreason
01-12-2016, 11:23 PM

inclinerator
01-12-2016, 11:28 PM

plowking
01-12-2016, 11:30 PM

TheMan
01-13-2016, 12:53 AM

Tarik One
02-07-2016, 01:07 AM
Bump

WayOfWade
02-07-2016, 01:46 AM

Done_And_Done
02-07-2016, 01:47 AM

oh the horror
02-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Unless they begin resting players I'm beginning to feel like they're fully capable of beating the Bulls 72-10 record. This team looks like they're on another level than any team in the league right now

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:05 AM
The Warriors have yet to play their toughest road trip. They still have three against the Spurs, three against OKC and two against the Clip.

Ergo, their first half schedule was weak. So honestly, I think they'll end up with 69.

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Unless they begin resting players

That's what every team in history has done, so why wouldn't the Warriors?:facepalm

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:10 AM
That's what every team in history has done, so why wouldn't the Warriors?:facepalm

Same reason the 2007 Patriots didn't. They want to make history. The Warriors have already won a title. A team wins every season. But breaking 72 wins is unique.

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:11 AM
Same reason the 2007 Patriots didn't. They want to make history. The Warriors have already won a title. A team wins every season. But breaking 72 wins is unique.

They probably wouldn't win the chip then.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:13 AM
They probably wouldn't win the chip then.

They're deep and their starters don't play heavy minutes. You're going to tell me that if the Warriors get within a few games of 72 wins, they're just going to rest starters, and Curry & Company will be okay with that?

What do you think Jordan & Pippen would have done in this situation?

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:16 AM
They're deep and their starters don't play heavy minutes. You're going to tell me that if the Warriors get within a few games of 72 wins, they're just going to rest starters, and Curry & Company will be okay with that?

What do you think Jordan & Pippen would have done in this situation?

I'm not sure why you're dealing with hypotheticals here; Jordan and Pippen rested.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:17 AM
I'm not sure why you're dealing with hypotheticals here; Jordan and Pippen rested.

Did they rest before or after getting to 70 wins? The Bulls would have had home court locked up before then, right?

Im Still Ballin
02-07-2016, 02:18 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the Warriors are resting every game

They'll be fine

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:20 AM
I see that Jordan and Pippen did play out that 72 win regular season, but with reduced minutes. Or in some of the games, I guess. For the 70th win, Jordan played 42 and Pippen 40 minutes.

I could certainly see Kerr cutting back starter minutes.

1987_Lakers
02-07-2016, 02:20 AM
They have won 9 straight and in that streak they beat the Cavs, Spurs, Bulls, & OKC. They just beat the best of the best in the last 2-3 weeks when many felt a couple of loses was on the way.

They have a 7 game road trip coming soon, but in those 7 games the Clippers & OKC are the only 2 good teams they will play. (and the Clippers are now WITHOUT Austin Rivers for what that's worth)

The good news is after their 7 game road trip, they finish the season playing 17 of their final 24 games at home and they haven't loss a home game this season, so they are in very good shape to break the record.

Since the Bulls won 72 games MANY teams started the season HOT and had people talking about breaking the Bulls record, I for once always knew the team would eventually cool off and fall rather short of the record, but when the Warriors started the season winning game after game this season, I actually took them seriously breaking the Bulls record.

I can see them finishing around 69-73 wins, heck they won 67 games last season and seem to be improved this year so them breaking the record wouldn't be surprising at the moment.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 02:23 AM
Same reason the 2007 Patriots didn't. They want to make history. The Warriors have already won a title. A team wins every season. But breaking 72 wins is unique.what's more important for them this season is getting that back-to-back championships. 73+ wins on a repeat title would be historical but a repeat should be #1 priority.

plus, they already got a near unbreakable record, 24-0 to start a season.

repeat rings/ 24-0 start/ 73+ wins is getting too damn greedy. :lol

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:26 AM
what's more important for them this season is getting that back-to-back championships. 73+ wins on a repeat title would be historical but a repeat should be #1 priority.

Yeah of course repeating is number one priority. So if Curry, Dray and Klay are showing wear and tear near the end of the season, you give them rest. But if they're not, then why not go for it? They're not averaging a ton of minutes as it is. The best starting players used to average 40+ mintues once upon a time. What are the Warrior averages, 32-34 minutes? That's like 16 less games over an entire season. Even if it's just five minutes less than average, you're still talking about 400 total minutes or about 12 games.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:30 AM
repeat rings/ 24-0 start/ 73+ wins is getting too damn greedy. :lol

It is greedy, but do you think they don't care about being considered the best team of all time? They certainly cared about breaking that 33 game win streak.

1987_Lakers
02-07-2016, 02:32 AM
Yeah of course repeating is number one priority. So if Curry, Dray and Klay are showing wear and tear near the end of the season, you give them rest. But if they're not, then why not go for it? They're not averaging a ton of minutes as it is. The best starting players used to average 40+ mintues once upon a time. What are the Warrior averages, 32-34 minutes? That's like 15 less games over an entire season.

That's another positive for Golden State, because they don't play alot of minutes there is a good chance they will be just fine when the season is coming to an end.

For what it's worth.

Warriors this season...
Curry: 34 MPG
Green: 34 MPG
Klay: 33 MPG

'96 Bulls...
Jordan: 38 MPG
Pippen: 37 MPG
Rodman: 33 MPG

The Warriors' trio (mid 20's) is also younger than Chicago's trio (early-mid 30's), so I don't think running out of gas will be an issue for Golden State.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:34 AM
That's another positive for Golden State, because they don't play alot of minutes there is a good chance they will be just fine when the season is coming to an end.

For what it's worth.

Warriors this season...
Curry: 34 MPG
Green: 34 MPG
Klay: 33 MPG

'96 Bulls...
Jordan: 38 MPG
Pippen: 37 MPG
Rodman: 33 MPG

Not as big a difference as I thought, but 3-4 minutes for a season is still like 7 games difference (doing math in my head so roughly speaking).

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:39 AM
Now of course some people do bring up the 2007 Patriots as a cautionary tale for any championship contender who chooses not to rest in pursuit of some record.

But it's speculation that the reason they lost to the Giants in the SB was because of lack of rest. They did have a bye week to rest, and teams have won the SB from the wild card spot, where they needed to play the entire season to make it.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 02:40 AM
Yeah of course repeating is number one priority. So if Curry, Dray and Klay are showing wear and tear near the end of the season, you give them rest. But if they're not, then why not go for it? They're not averaging a ton of minutes as it is. The best starting players used to average 40+ mintues once upon a time. What are the Warrior averages, 32-34 minutes? That's like 16 less games over an entire season. Even if it's just five minutes less than average, you're still talking about 400 total minutes or about 12 games.
It is greedy, but do you think they don't care about being considered the best team of all time? They certainly cared about breaking that 33 game win streak.
they should play to win every single game obviously, while still balance a bit of rest for their stars.

i think they were on a mission to prove all their critics wrong about their playoff run. people were saying they got lucky because of key injuries. i dont know if they planned on going 24-0 to start the season, it did feel organic. it became a thing after winning so many games, just like any streak.

if you go out to break records, run up the scoreboard, etc...you might end up like the patriots and fall flat on your face. idk...i kinda like watching records broken organically, by chance...much better surprise.

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:41 AM
Did they rest before or after getting to 70 wins?

They rested once they reached 70, yes. I think they rested the last four games of the season and the team went 1-3 in those games.

The Bulls would have had home court locked up before then, right?

Yes, they did.

jongib369
02-07-2016, 02:44 AM
69-73

They'll probably get close, and REALLY push to beat the bulls near the end...Whether they beat the bulls or not idk...But if they are close, and make that push, they'll likely lose the first game in the playoffs and everyone will be like "EMAHGERD THUR OUT OF GAS" which they very well might be...But after that they'll likely win the next 4...Spurs if they face them will push them to 5 or 6...Oklahoma, if they face them, might push them to 6 or 7. But, nevertheless chances are pretty high they'll win again this season. Next season though, considering the dominance of that team...I expect a big name free agent to join a well established team taking a huge cut oit of frustration. Durant if he leaves doesn't seem like the guy that would be like "If you can't beat them, join them" ..But rather join a team that's got the pieces to beat the Warriors. I'd prefer he stay on the Thunder, and pull one of the other 'big free agents if they're in potion to do so

Anyone know what teams could realistically pickup Durant, or Howard?

I'd really like to see Curry be humbled so to speak and lose, not three peating. Not because I don't like him, but to place him in that position that made him push himself so hard to get where he's at once again. I want to see him hit the weight room even more like a madman, and demand to play more minutes from Kerr(Not too much more)..Rip the league a new asshole more so than he's doing this season, winning a chip averaging close to 40...Regular season, and playoffs. Or jist a lot more assists ontop of a bit more scoring to have a rediculous PRF. I want to see him 3 peat then.....And then whether or not he pulls a backseat and falls into a Duncan like role with age, continue to play and get more rings than Jordan.

1987_Lakers
02-07-2016, 02:46 AM
if you go out to break records, run up the scoreboard, etc...you might end up like the patriots and fall flat on your face.

I'm not saying the Warriors are a lock to win the championship, but the NFL is a very different sport. Because of the one and done in the NFL playoffs you see the better team lose once in a while.

Out of the 3 major sports in America, the NBA is by far the most predictable in which the team that is expected to win usually wins. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a #4 or #5 seed win an NBA championship? It never happens.

In the MLB you see wildcard teams win championships all the time, same with the NFL once in a while.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:46 AM
if you go out to break records, run up the scoreboard, etc...you might end up like the patriots and fall flat on your face.

But is that what happened to the Patriots, or was it that the Giants were the perfect matchup to thwart the Patriots, and they went on a tear that playoffs (winning in GB & Dallas)?

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:49 AM
Their point differential right now is about the same as those Bulls teams. No shocker there.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 02:49 AM
Now of course some people do bring up the 2007 Patriots as a cautionary tale for any championship contender who chooses not to rest in pursuit of some record.

But it's speculation that the reason they lost to the Giants in the SB was because of lack of rest. They did have a bye week to rest, and teams have won the SB from the wild card spot, where they needed to play the entire season to make it.
patriots o-line got exposed, smacked around for 60 minutes. brady couldn't do shit. kinda remarkable brady was able throw a game leading touchdown late in the 4th. unfortunately, eli and new york still had enough time.

i dont know if resting/not resting was a factor. but the patriots deserved to be humiliated on the biggest stage though that season. spygate and running up the score.

72-10
02-07-2016, 02:50 AM
btw it may not be the point of the thread, but those Bulls teams were better on defense

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:53 AM
dont know if resting/not resting was a factor. but the patriots deserved to be humiliated on the biggest stage though that season. spygate and running up the score.

Oh believe me, that ranked up there with the Pistons beating the Lakers in the 2004 finals, and the Spurs wiping the floor with the Heat in 2014.

But I was glad to see the Patriots go for that perfect season. And they did it playing the Giants in game 16, which went to overtime. Actually, neither team needed to play starters as both already had their playoff positions set. But the Giants players wanted to prevent the perfect season as much as the Patriots wanted it. If I recall correctly, the coach (Coughlin) let the starters vote and they voted to play.

And that's one thing that never gets mentioned. The Giants played their starters that game, lost, then played in the wild card the next week. The lack of rest didn't hurt them. They went on the road three straight games. I believe they credited losing to the Patriots in OT that last regular season game as what gave them confidence to win the SB.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 02:54 AM
I'm not saying the Warriors are a lock to win the championship, but the NFL is a very different sport. Because of the one and done in the NFL playoffs you see the better team lose once in a while.

Out of the 3 major sports in America, the NBA is by far the most predictable in which the team that is expected to win usually wins. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a #4 or #5 seed win an NBA championship? It never happens.

In the MLB you see wildcard teams win championships all the time, same with the NFL once in a while.
fair point. 1995 6th seed rockets might be the only non-hca team to win a title.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:55 AM
btw it may not be the point of the thread, but those Bulls teams were better on defense

If only someone would invent a time machine.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 02:56 AM
But is that what happened to the Patriots, or was it that the Giants were the perfect matchup to thwart the Patriots, and they went on a tear that playoffs (winning in GB & Dallas)?
eli did put on the goat 5-week stretch by any qb in history.

plus, that defense wrecked pats o-line and brady savagely.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 02:58 AM
plus, that defense wrecked pats o-line and brady savagely.

It sure did. Let's hope for sake of an entertaining SB tomorrow that the Panthers D-Line does not do that to Manning, who's already limited at his age.

1987_Lakers
02-07-2016, 03:00 AM
patriots o-line got exposed, smacked around for 60 minutes. brady couldn't do shit. kinda remarkable brady was able throw a game leading touchdown late in the 4th. unfortunately, eli and new york still had enough time.

i dont know if resting/not resting was a factor. but the patriots deserved to be humiliated on the biggest stage though that season. spygate and running up the score.

The crazy thing is the pats O-Line was pretty good throughout the year, but in that one game they got destroyed, but give credit to the Giants, they had a ton of good defensive linemen.

One thing I remember about that Pats team is they started off the season just destroying teams, blow out after blow out, but as the season progressed even though they still won games they were not as dominant, I think teams started to figure them out a bit, even in the playoffs on their way to the super bowl they didn't win in dominating fashion, so in retrospect the loss shouldn't have been so surprising, but when you start off 18-0 everyone expects you to win.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 03:05 AM
Oh believe me, that ranked up there with the Pistons beating the Lakers in the 2004 finals, and the Spurs wiping the floor with the Heat in 2014.

But I was glad to see the Patriots go for that perfect season. And they did it playing the Giants in game 16, which went to overtime. Actually, neither team needed to play starters as both already had their playoff positions set. But the Giants players wanted to prevent the perfect season as much as the Patriots wanted it. If I recall correctly, the coach (Coughlin) let the starters vote and they voted to play.

And that's one thing that never gets mentioned. The Giants played their starters that game, lost, then played in the wild card the next week. The lack of rest didn't hurt them. They went on the road three straight games. I believe they credited losing to the Patriots in OT that last regular season game as what gave them confidence to win the SB.
yeah, i remember that final regular season game.

also people forgot how bad eli played on thanksgiving with peyton watching from the upper vip area, he threw like 4 interceptions. fans turned on him. then a month later he was on his way to shock the world.

OldSchoolBBall
02-07-2016, 03:07 AM
74 imo. Looks like no one can give them a game. I still think a healthy Spurs team has a 30-40% chance of winning a PO series against them, though.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:08 AM
also people forgot how bad eli played on thanksgiving with peyton watching from the upper vip area, he threw like 4 interceptions. fans turned on him. then a month later he went on to shock the world.

It's almost incomprehensible that Eli has 2 rings, while his brother only has 1 (we'll see tomorrow), and Marino never made it back after the 84 SB.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:09 AM
Looks like no one can give them a game.

Except for the 76ers, apparently. I imagine the Warriors treated that like a day off.

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:14 AM
If only someone would invent a time machine.

what do you mean, precisely?

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:15 AM
Except for the 76ers, apparently. I imagine the Warriors treated that like a day off.

The Bulls lost twice to the expansion Toronto Raptors, I think.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:16 AM
what do you mean, precisely?

The obvious use for one is to have the 96 Bulls play the current Warriors. And to have the 76ers draft rookie Wilt.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 03:17 AM
well, the underachieving bucks did end their 24-0 streak.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:19 AM
well, the underachieving bucks did end their 24-0 streak.

Right, although that was more of a fatigue thing. The interesting thing was when the Bucks went into GS and had a 15 point lead, but couldn't close out the fourth quarter. It's interesting, because the Warriors had every reason to be motivated for that revenge game.

I wonder if GSW would roll them now, or if the Bucks matchup well with them (unlike everyone else apparently).

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:20 AM
The obvious use for one is to have the 96 Bulls play the current Warriors. And to have the 76ers draft rookie Wilt.

No, I was saying that the 72-win Bulls (never understood why they are called the 70-win Bulls) were #1 in both offensive rating and defensive rating. They're the only team to do that. They also are one of only five teams (and the most recent one) in history to have three players on the NBA All-Defensive First Team.

This year's Warriors are #1 offensively and #4 in defensive rating.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:21 AM
No, I was saying that the 72-win Bulls (never understood why they are called the 70-win Bulls) were #1 in both offensive rating and defensive rating. They're the only team to do that. They also are one of only five teams (and the most recent one) in history to have three players on the NBA All-Defensive First Team.

I meant it would be fun to see the Bulls great defense against this Warriors offense.

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Within their respective eras, the Bulls were a better defensive team. It's a fact.

jongib369
02-07-2016, 03:25 AM

I'd love to see what Wilt could do today...But then again, I expect another Wilt/Shaq type body to come around...Hopefully a smart coach will recognize this, and have him study footage of them for a blueprint of what to do....But, also develop a good face up game like a lot of bigs do today

35 years separated the birth of Wilt and Shaq...Hopefully, the next diesel is out there age 9

Maybe we'll also get to see a Curry type player in a Jordan like body...Or at least Kobe. Could you imagine :biggums:

1987_Lakers
02-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Within their respective eras, the Bulls were a better defensive team. It's a fact.

Okay? And the Warriors had more shooters.

I honestly wonder how much that shortened 3 point line helped Chicago in '96, MJ & Pippen feasted on the short 3 point line, not so much from the original 3 point line, put them in today's NBA with the original 3 point line and they might be the worst 3 point shooting team in the league.

DMV2
02-07-2016, 03:29 AM
The Bulls lost twice to the expansion Toronto Raptors, I think.
only once. they lost to 3 non-playoff teams though...raptors, hornets and nuggets.

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:43 AM
only once. they lost to 3 non-playoff teams though...raptors, hornets and nuggets.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was one or two. They lost a second time to the Raptors at Toronto in 96-97; MJ hit a shot at the buzzer that rimmed in and out and back in again, but it didn't beat the buzzer.

Marchesk
02-07-2016, 03:46 AM
Maybe we'll also get to see a Curry type player in a Jordan like body...Or at least Kobe. Could you imagine

Or Durant. I wonder where the game will be in a decade. People will be trying to replicate and tweak what GS and Curry are doing.

72-10
02-07-2016, 03:46 AM
Okay? And the Warriors had more shooters.

I honestly wonder how much that shortened 3 point line helped Chicago in '96, MJ & Pippen feasted on the short 3 point line, not so much from the original 3 point line, put them in today's NBA with the original 3 point line and they might be the worst 3 point shooting team in the league.

I'm just saying, as a theoretical tiebreaker, a deciding factor, if the Warriors were to go 72-10 and 16-3 in the playoffs. I'd still probably say the Bulls were the better team.

Sarcastic
02-07-2016, 04:41 AM
Out of the 3 major sports in America

America has 4 major sports :lol Major diss to the NHL.

But yes, NBA is the most predictable. Unlike MLB and NHL, you can't ride a hot pitcher or goalie in the NBA. The NBA comes down to matchups. We'll see how the Warriors do in a 7 game series vs the Spurs and (hopefully) healthy Cavs team.

While Curry is the best player this year, Lebron is still the best player on the planet. If his team is healthy, it'll be very hard to stop Lebron's Cavs come playoff time.

Tarik One
02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
The Pacers were the only team to beat the Bulls twice that season. The Pacers always matched up well against the Bulls during that second threepeat run.

Also, the Bulls' worst loss was a 106-72 beatdown from the Knicks. I believe Jeff Van Gundy had just taken over the team within days of the game.

72-10
02-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Also, the Bulls' worst loss was a 106-72 beatdown from the Knicks. I believe Jeff Van Gundy had just taken over the team within days of the game.

That was their only blowout loss on the season. They were 43-1 in blowout games.

Tarik One
04-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Bump