PDA

View Full Version : Two skills to make it in the NBA

Nash
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I was talking with a few friends about this and we got into some interesting discussion regarding this.
Basically, if you could pick two skills to make it in the NBA, what skills would you take? Also, you'd be 2x as good as the best player in the NBA at them.

The rest is just your average self with whatever height and physical condition you are in today.

Personally I would pick:

-3 point shooting & steals.

3 point shooting because nobody would leave you open and they'd have to respect your shot, making it easier for your teammates. Shooting 3's you don't need good handles, athleticism or crazy height.

Steals because I wouldn't want to be a black hole on defense. Wouldn't matter how good of a 3 point shooter I was if I brought zero to defense. Those NBA guys would murder me in every way. Having something on defense is important. And since I'm 6ft I would obviously defend players in the back court.

FKAri
01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
- first step
- jumpshot

Jasper
01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
High percentage shooter

Defend with speed

plowking
01-13-2016, 12:11 PM
THICK and LONG.

ClipperRevival
01-13-2016, 12:33 PM
I was talking with a few friends about this and we got into some interesting discussion regarding this.
Basically, if you could pick two skills to make it in the NBA, what skills would you take? Also, you'd be 2x as good as the best player in the NBA at them.

The rest is just your average self with whatever height and physical condition you are in today.

Personally I would pick:

3 point shooting because nobody would leave you open and they'd have to respect your shot, making it easier for your teammates. Shooting 3's you don't need good handles, athleticism or crazy height.

Steals because I wouldn't want to be a black hole on defense. Wouldn't matter how good of a 3 point shooter I was if I brought zero to defense. Those NBA guys would murder me in every way. Having something on defense is important. And since I'm 6ft I would obviously defend players in the back court.

:biggums:

So if I pick shooting, I would be two times better than Curry and make like 90% from 3? :roll:

Prime_Shaq
01-13-2016, 12:37 PM
3 pointers + man to man defense

Mass Debator
01-13-2016, 12:43 PM
3 and D

PistonsFan#21
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Fancy handles and a 50 inch vert

kamil
01-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Stiff arms and flopping.

Thorpesaurous
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Shot blocking and shooting. The floor spacing big who can protect the rim is still the Unicorn of NBA prospects. It got Karl Anthony towns and Porzingis in the future building block discussion. There's guys who do one or the other, but the list of guys who bring both to the table is pretty short. And with the way the game is going at the moment, it's a really valuable asset. But it's also a skill set that transcends era.

Stout
01-13-2016, 01:32 PM
3 and D guys are the most respected of those who only have 2 skills.

Harison
01-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Post offense and defense (provided I'm tall enough). These skills would make me a cornerstone of any elite NBA team.

If I'm small however, 3 and D sounds good. Every team needs that.

SwishSquared
01-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Rim protection and 3 point shooting. If I have the rules right, I could be twice the rim protector that Gobert is and twice the 3 point shooter that Curry is.

WayOfWade
01-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Rim protection and 3 point shooting. If I have the rules right, I could be twice the rim protector that Gobert is and twice the 3 point shooter that Curry is.
:roll:

Kvnzhangyay
01-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Passing and 3 point shooting

So I could average 20 assists per game and shoot 90% from three?

feyki
01-13-2016, 02:42 PM
3pt and on ball defence

DavisIsMyUniBro
01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Personally I would pick:

Does athleticism count as a skill?

If so, athleticism and shooting.

If not, on-ball defense and shooting

Shooting because being a better shooter than curry automatically puts me at a top 10 offensive player regardless of passing or handles, the latter of which can be developed into an nba level within 4-5 years.

I would rather have off-ball, but I don't want to be torched every single time.

If it's athleticism, I'm going with that. Why? Because if we literally are doubling it, I'm twice as fast as Westbrook and have an 80 inch vertical.

Meaning I'll just jump on top of the backboard and punch every shot out of the way.

swagga
01-13-2016, 03:18 PM
only one skill required.

harden free throw skill

after the 1st half the other team will forfeit as the their entire roster has already fouled out.

Haymaker
01-13-2016, 03:23 PM

Personally I would pick:

I always wanted Tony Allen to develop a 3 game. He would've been a nightmare.

Spurs5Rings2014
01-13-2016, 03:32 PM
only one skill required.

harden free throw skill

after the 1st half the other team will forfeit as the their entire roster has already fouled out.

And then you get to the play offs.

:lol

inclinerator
01-13-2016, 03:34 PM
setting screens and flopping

oarabbus
01-13-2016, 03:50 PM

Personally I would pick:

What do you mean you'd be 2x as good as them?

Then I choose dunking and off-the-dribble 3pt shooting. Dunk better than Blake/Bran/etc and shoot off the dribble behind half court easily.

ISHGoat
01-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Id pick these two skills:

1. Half court scoring
2. Man defense

4 Inches
01-13-2016, 04:23 PM
White and quirky
Reddit gon' love me for it

IncarceratedBob
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
defense and passing. rondo has made a good career out of those two skills

AirFederer
01-13-2016, 04:43 PM
- 3 point
- passing

If I`m twice as good as Curry at both I`d kill it :lol

JimmyMcAdocious
01-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Defense and offense.

AirFederer
01-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Defense and offense.

Winning and not losing.

Mr. Jabbar
01-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Crab Dribble and Colluding

JEFFERSON MONEY
01-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Slashing and passing.

Simply put if you're a notch above Kyrie/Dwade at the former and better than Stockton at the latter; you are GOING TO MAKE A TREMENDOUSLY POSITIVE IMPACT ON YOUR TEAM.

Bay Area Baller
01-13-2016, 07:23 PM
slasher and crasher

slash to the rim for high percentage shot

crasher to crash the boards and get high volume of rebounds

Nash
01-13-2016, 08:51 PM

What do you mean you'd be 2x as good as them?

Then I choose dunking and off-the-dribble 3pt shooting. Dunk better than Blake/Bran/etc and shoot off the dribble behind half court easily.
You'd still be a black hole on defense and have scrubs easily get 70 points on you ever day. No contract for you.

And you could be a good dunker and off the dribble shooter but how you going to do that when your handles and footwork are shit?

Obviously keeping it simple is the way to go here. The aim is to make the NBA with two skills.

Also, what I mean by being 2x better than for example Curry as a 3 point shooter doesn't exactly mean that you'll be as good as him getting yourself into scoring these 3 pointers.

Black and White
01-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Shooting and a killer handle

Pushxx
01-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Shooting and a killer handle

Nice avy fam

thefatmiral
01-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Ball handling and quickness. So I could bring it up the court, always been a problem for me.

Black and White
01-14-2016, 01:52 AM
Nice avy fam

Cheers bruh :cheers:

Kobe_6/8
01-14-2016, 02:47 AM
Team Chemistry Alpha
Basketball IQ

I would have 0 skills on the court. However, my ability to have the team work as 1 & create genius plays would basically make me a player/coach.

Bandito
01-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Defense does not means good at steals. Gambling < staying in front of the opponent.

ImKobe
01-14-2016, 10:02 AM
height and girth

Kawhi
01-14-2016, 10:25 AM
White and quirky
Reddit gon' love me for it
Homie, we major.