PDA

View Full Version : Possibly injured my rotator cuff

jongib369
01-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Nothing major just yet, as the pain isn't too bad... But I hurt it doing overhead press, and it has ached ever since. Cracking,and grinding/"mush" noises....Pain when I raise my arm above my head, or to my side. From my understanding if I want to do physical work for a job, or weight lift again surgery will be required? Anyone have knowledge about this?

:lebroncry:

:mad:

Draz
01-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Shoulders are the only group that can navigate the way it does.. Sucks

jongib369
01-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Shoulders are the only group that can navigate the way it does.. Sucks
Truly. Know I can eventually strengthen the area around it, but further tearing without surgery is likely with the physical work I mentioned from what I understand. That's so frustrating....This is right after I looked up all this stuff about Reg Park and Arnolds Powerlifting/bodybuilding routine.

The initial injury happened a couple months ago, but after doing overhead press again it now hurts more than it did before...At first it was just a sudden discomfort that went away right away...Now it's lingering, though still just minor pain

blablabla
01-16-2016, 11:59 AM
do you warm up your rotator cuff before working out?

jongib369
01-16-2016, 12:06 PM
do you warm up your rotator cuff before working out?
I would do a few sets with just an Olympic bar before hand...But then I'd go into working weight. It was my first time doing it, and started off with 95 or 100 for reps, but when I hurt it initially I might of just done one warmup set. Then recently, a couple months after that, I rando ly decided to try front squats that went into a overhead press on the way up...Just used 65 pounds to see how it'd feel...It was easy, but I still felt a bit of pain once it got past my nose. Unlike before, the pain/cracking is lingering and more consistent

jongib369
01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm assuming even lifts like the deadlift, and squat need to be avoided also now?

Patrick Chewing
01-16-2016, 01:41 PM
I would stay away from surgery. My dad and I have had rotator cuff injuries and mine healed on its own. I used to pitch in high school and really hurt it bad to where I could barely hold my arm up without it shaking and hurting.

My dad however, had the surgery and even though the pain is gone, his mobility is limited. He regrets it. I would just rest it and exercise it a bit from time to time.

jongib369
01-16-2016, 01:56 PM
I would stay away from surgery. My dad and I have had rotator cuff injuries and mine healed on its own. I used to pitch in high school and really hurt it bad to where I could barely hold my arm up without it shaking and hurting.

My dad however, had the surgery and even though the pain is gone, his mobility is limited. He regrets it. I would just rest it and exercise it a bit from time to time.
Can you lift at all without pain?

Dresta
01-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I tore mine playing just a normal cricket shot - was a weird, freak occurrence; was pretty painful and i couldn't raise my arm up above shoulder height for a while. Doctors said 12 weeks, but it didn't feel right for about a year. Left shoulder still feels a bit weaker than my right tbh.

Patrick Chewing
01-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Can you lift at all without pain?

Sure can. No issues whatsoever.

Charlie Sheen
01-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Second this guy's opinion. If you're a young dude take the time to rest and exhaust all rehab and pt options available to you before even thinking about surgery.

BigNBAfan
01-16-2016, 04:43 PM
I bet dumbass OP is going to make a gofundme page because he cant afford shit for himself or his girl.

highwhey
01-16-2016, 04:50 PM
That's unfortunate op, i hope a speedy recovery for yourself. I have had issues as a result of lifting as well, sucks because it limits your workout.

jongib369
01-16-2016, 05:29 PM
That's unfortunate op, i hope a speedy recovery for yourself. I have had issues as a result of lifting as well, sucks because it limits your workout.
How long has it been, and how has it limited you exactly? I'm more concerned with deadlifting, and squat, so if I have to workout lighter up top I won't mind too much.....As long as I can still build something to where I won't look stupid

KiiiiNG
01-16-2016, 05:32 PM
I bet dumbass OP is going to make a gofundme page because he cant afford shit for himself or his girl.
At least he's trying. He's a loser but at least there's effort...

It's dudes like Stalkerforlife who should be harassed and belittled at every turn not guys like OP who just come from shitty families and have no connections but at lest attempt to work in some capacity

OP, you dumb ****** moron, why are you lifting anyway? You don't money or time to work out. Every second should be focused on making a living and keeping your body as fresh as possible

Now what? Now what do you do?

highwhey
01-16-2016, 06:14 PM
How long has it been, and how has it limited you exactly? I'm more concerned with deadlifting, and squat, so if I have to workout lighter up top I won't mind too much.....As long as I can still build something to where I won't look stupid
I injured it in Highschool because i never warmed up. Anyhow, after a while (6/7 years) it's not as painful. I only really have trouble if I dont warm up and I put too much of a load. I can still do squats and DL's just fine. But yeah, if I were to go for a personal record on overhead press, I'd be in pain. I can still lift enough to get a good workout, just nothing extreme .

jongib369
01-16-2016, 06:56 PM
At least he's trying. He's a loser but at least there's effort...

It's dudes like Stalkerforlife who should be harassed and belittled at every turn not guys like OP who just come from shitty families and have no connections but at lest attempt to work in some capacity

OP, you dumb ****** moron, why are you lifting anyway? You don't money or time to work out. Every second should be focused on making a living and keeping your body as fresh as possible

Now what? Now what do you do?
I'm actually trying to become a firefighter, and plan to invest in real estate. It's a young idea, but my grandpa was Vice President/treasurer of a company called McMaster Carr, and was very intelligent when it came to investing in the stock market. He had millions to say the least, and at a certain age I will inherit more than a few. My lifelong best friends wife is a soon to be Vice President, or president(forgot which) of a real estate company making 200k a year, and will assist me if I prove to be knowledgeable enough. So I'm currently reading up, and hoping I can get my grandmas 3 level home/apartment that is being underutilized for cheap. Or at least something similar, in a good location seeing as 1 family homes dont give much of a return.

I'm lifting because it's important to be physically fit for such a job. Plus, I might join the air force as it'll increase my chances. Either in Fire protection, or possibly even trying to go into pararescue. What I was signing up for before I fractured my sternum delaying any strenuous physical activity for 4 years.

I'll likely be more successful than you financially, have a more respectable job if I can become a firefighter, and have probably gotten more women, while having better relationships.

KiiiiNG
01-16-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm actually trying to become a firefighter, and plan to invest in real estate. It's a young idea, but my grandpa was Vice President/treasurer of a company called McMaster Carr, and was very intelligent when it came to investing in the stock market. He had millions to say the least, and at a certain age I will inherit more than a few. My lifelong best friends wife is a soon to be Vice President, or president(forgot which) of a real estate company making 200k a year, and will assist me if I prove to be knowledgeable enough. So I'm currently reading up, and hoping I can get my grandmas 3 level home/apartment that is being underutilized for cheap. Or at least something similar, in a good location seeing as 1 family homes dont give much of a return.

I'm lifting because it's important to be physically fit for such a job. Plus, I might join the air force as it'll increase my chances. Either in Fire protection, or possibly even trying to go into pararescue. What I was signing up for before I fractured my sternum delaying any strenuous physical activity for 4 years.

I'll likely be more successful than you financially, have a more respectable job if I can become a firefighter, and have probably gotten more women, while having better relationships.
You're all over the place. I'm gonna be a firefigher! I'm gonna join the air force!

Pick something and stick with it. So a kid who's gonna inherit millions is begging for people to donate because he can't figure out how to make a living for himself and his dumb/sick girlfriend.

Ok Pal. Good luck with all that stuff.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I've had an injured rotator cup for years. It's very loosely held and dislocates my shoulder without any pain (mostly voluntarily but this one time happened in middle of a basketball game and I was in excruciating pain). Since I'm just a casual athlete and am no professional, I never got physical therapy for it.

blablabla
01-16-2016, 08:29 PM
I would do a few sets with just an Olympic bar before hand...But then I'd go into working weight. It was my first time doing it, and started off with 95 or 100 for reps, but when I hurt it initially I might of just done one warmup set. Then recently, a couple months after that, I rando ly decided to try front squats that went into a overhead press on the way up...Just used 65 pounds to see how it'd feel...It was easy, but I still felt a bit of pain once it got past my nose. Unlike before, the pain/cracking is lingering and more consistent
Olympic bars are far too heavy for warm ups imo
I've experienced severe shoulder pain when i first started lifting it literally felt like my shoulder was gonna pop out
basically what i do now is 10 minutes on the elliptical and then i take 2 light dumbbells and warm both shoulders up individually
gotta get that blood flowing man

jongib369
01-16-2016, 10:05 PM
You're all over the place. I'm gonna be a firefigher! I'm gonna join the air force!

Pick something and stick with it. So a kid who's gonna inherit millions is begging for people to donate because he can't figure out how to make a living for himself and his dumb/sick girlfriend.

Ok Pal. Good luck with all that stuff.
All over the place? I'm in school to be a fire fighter, but the Air Force route would give me an edge. That's common knowledge. But, no job is guranteed, and it's a 8 year commitment, no matter how long you sign up for they still have you for that long. I'm careful before jumping into it.

And yes, I wanted to help out my girlfriend. I was lucky to have a successful grandfather, who was a shit parent that screwed up my dad lol. Guy was a true psychopath, and because of his style of parenting, and my dad's failures to overcome it and make something of himself, getting in trouble with the law we were poor for awhile. LI Ving off 15 an hour and food stamps....But, the old man didn't completely **** us, and I plan on making the most of it.

tontoz
01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Rotator cuff injuries really suck. I have hurt them on both shoulders. Dont do any weights for my shoulders now i just use resistance bands. Don't do bench press either. I now use dumbells for bench press and hold the weights at an angle to take pressure off my shoulders.

If you do physical work for your job you are screwed.