PDA

View Full Version : The retiring of Ben Wallace jersey by Detroit

Embers
01-16-2016, 08:36 PM
Um what? How does this battler get his jersey retired

Toronto might retire Biyombos number if he stays around another 5 years and plays at his current rate...

The guy was flat out poor and in the end the weak link in the chain that stopped them from winning more then 1 title in the mid 00's and your bloody retiring his jersey? Retire that whole sides jerseys tomorrow then please, McDyess included

TheMarkMadsen
01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
OP what the hell are you talking about

Milbuck
01-16-2016, 08:41 PM
:whatever:

Embers
01-16-2016, 08:42 PM
OP what the hell are you talking about

Im talking about retiring jerseys of players who are not good enough for it. Using the Ben Wallace spectrum GSW are going to have to retire atleast 8 jerseys from this current team. Maybe 10 if Ezeli + Barnes extend their contracts

NBAplayoffs2001
01-16-2016, 08:42 PM
... Do you not realize how much Ben Wallace meant to those mid 2000s team? Rasheed may have been the heart of the team but Ben Wallace is what held up their defense at the historic level they were for a few years. Dude was an absolute beast and was a lock for top 3 votes in DPOY during the early-mid 2000s.

Reasonable to retire his jersey. He was a true Piston despite going to the Bulls/Cavs after.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-16-2016, 08:43 PM
http://img3.cache.netease.com/photo/0005/2011-03-13/6V1UN9E20AI90005.jpg

Embers
01-16-2016, 08:45 PM
... Do you not realize how much Ben Wallace meant to those mid 2000s team? Rasheed may have been the heart of the team but Ben Wallace is what held up their defense at the historic level they were for a few years. Dude was an absolute beast and was a lock for top 3 votes in DPOY during the early-mid 2000s.

Reasonable to retire his jersey. He was a true Piston despite going to the Bulls/Cavs after.

I realise Wallace was the 5th best player on that team. Something that seems to be lost on alot of people here it seems. People with short memories and what not

Uncle Drew
01-16-2016, 08:47 PM
http://img3.cache.netease.com/photo/0005/2011-03-13/6V1UN9E20AI90005.jpg

:roll:

Love Big Ben though.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-16-2016, 08:49 PM
I realise Wallace was the 5th best player on that team. Something that seems to be lost on alot of people here it seems. People with short memories and what not

You don't know anything about Detroit basketball during the mid 2000s if you're claiming this.

Best players: 1. Billups 2. Rasheed Wallace 3. Ben Wallace 4. Rip Hamilton 5. Tyshaun Prince

Billups- great leader/fringe all star PG
Rasheed- so much untapped potential but still was a great player and a great leader
Ben- heart and soul of their defense. Multilple DPOY and can give you 8-9 ppg with a ton of rebounds.
Rip- great old school type of SG. Great cutter/spot up shooter.
Ty- versatile forward with length.

Embers
01-16-2016, 08:54 PM
You don't know anything about Detroit basketball during the mid 2000s if you're claiming this.

Best players: 1. Billups 2. Rasheed Wallace 3. Ben Wallace 4. Rip Hamilton 5. Tyshaun Prince

Billups- great leader/fringe all star PG
Rasheed- so much untapped potential but still was a great player and a great leader
Ben- heart and soul of their defense. Multilple DPOY and can give you 8-9 ppg with a ton of rebounds.
Rip- great old school type of SG. Great cutter/spot up shooter.
Ty- versatile forward with length.

You clearly never saw Spurs v Pistons finals series if you believe Ben was the heart and soul of the team. Watch it for me please and you will see in that series alone why Ben was the 5th best player on that team

NBAplayoffs2001
01-16-2016, 08:58 PM
You clearly never saw Spurs v Pistons finals series if you believe Ben was the heart and soul of the team. Watch it for me please and you will see in that series alone why Ben was the 5th best player on that team

Yes because a 7 game series determines a dude's capability. You try defending prime T Duncan. He dominated on defense during the 2004 finals.

4 DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR awards, 1 ring, 2 final appearances. Very reasonable to get your jersey retired.

Rake2204
01-16-2016, 09:12 PM

Toronto might retire Biyombos number if he stays around another 5 years and plays at his current rate...

The guy was flat out poor and in the end the weak link in the chain that stopped them from winning more then 1 title in the mid 00's and your bloody retiring his jersey? Retire that whole sides jerseys tomorrow then please, McDyess includedhttp://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/752/531/375.gif

Clifton
01-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Big Ben led a team to a title and nearly two that had no legitimate all-star quality players on it. There are very few players who have ever done this. You can't blame Magic and Bird for always having HOFers around, and you can't blame Jordan for having Pippen and Shaq for having Kobe and Wade. But there's one thing they don't have on that resume that Big Ben has.

And if you really think those Pistons teams were "stacked"... you don't remember what it was like then. The Pistons were good before Sheed, and yes he was a big talent, but nobody on that roster ever really had respect in the NBA until Big Ben made them the grittiest, most improbable champions ever.

Dr Hawk
01-16-2016, 09:17 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/752/531/375.gif

What the **** this is so ****ed up. This goes to show human being are often disgusting

4 Inches
01-16-2016, 09:21 PM
1st ballot and it ain't even close

Young X
01-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Wallace is one of the greatest defenders in NBA history. He was one of if not the biggest reason for their 2004 championship. He absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired. Show some respect.

BasedTom
01-16-2016, 09:26 PM
What the **** this is so ****ed up. This goes to show human being are often disgusting
It's reversed. You can see people walking backwards.

He was under the car and they pulled him out

Straight_Ballin
01-16-2016, 09:50 PM

The guy was flat out poor and in the end the weak link in the chain that stopped them from winning more then 1 title in the mid 00's and your bloody retiring his jersey? Retire that whole sides jerseys tomorrow then please, McDyess included

If all Ben EVER did in his career was initiate the malace at the palace by pushing Metta 10 feet, that would be enough to retire his jersey as it showed the world how horrible Detroit fans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D08Yb0wcV04

Gus Hemmingway
01-16-2016, 09:51 PM
If all Ben EVER did in his career was initiate the malace at the palace by pushing Metta 10 feet, that would be enough to retire his jersey as it showed the world how horrible Detroit fans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D08Yb0wcV04
Hey, what city u from, teams u root for?:lol

Straight_Ballin
01-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Hey, what city u from, teams u root for?:lol

A place that doesn't require me to be so bored that I feel the need to make 1000+ posts in just 2 months on ISH. Hold that L! :lol

Done_And_Done
01-16-2016, 10:13 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/752/531/375.gif

Rake you morbid sob. What happened to you? lolololol jk

stalkerforlife
01-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Solid role player.

Definitely not a superstar.

They had a great run.

Funktion
01-16-2016, 10:38 PM
might be one of the few guys Ron wanted no part of

http://cdn.solecollector.com/media/up/2015/11/images/ben-wallace-shove.gif

AngelEyes
01-16-2016, 10:44 PM
might be one of the few guys Ron wanted no part of

http://cdn.solecollector.com/media/up/2015/11/images/ben-wallace-shove.gif

I doubt Artest was the least bit afraid of Ben Wallace. He got pushed, big deal.

stalkerforlife
01-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Wallace pushing Artest was all too convenient.

Artest was TRYING to right his image at the time because the league was about to come down hard on him. Artest was TRYING to avoid conflict.

Artest would wreck Wallace in a fight.

$LakerGold
01-16-2016, 11:15 PM
OP clearly didn't watch Big Ben in the 2000s. Probably took a look at his stats & watch a couple of highlights on Youtube & came to the conclusion that Big Ben's a "solid role player".

Shut the **** up, honestly.

Prime_Shaq
01-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Fck OP

For those who missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCs3Dsl4sV8

AirFederer
01-17-2016, 06:28 AM
OP :facepalm

A very well deserved jersey retirement :cheers:

Embers
01-17-2016, 07:38 AM
For those who are saying its deserves, question I ask is

Would and should the Clippers retire Deandre Jordan's jersey when he finishes up?

Dr Hawk
01-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Would and should the Clippers retire Deandre Jordan's jersey when he finishes up?

Are you comparing Deandre's defense to Wallace's??????

PistonsFan#21
01-17-2016, 09:33 AM

If he gets 4 DPOY award and turns the Clippers into the best defensive team in the league over a 3 year span, as well as being the main reason why they get 2 finals appearances and 1 ring...then sure

:cheers:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3f/07/43/3f074326ed523f89bb2b92d19f786e25.jpg

SugarHill
01-17-2016, 10:35 AM
S
I doubt Artest was the least bit afraid of Ben Wallace. He got pushed, big deal.
:roll:

Run up on fans for basically nothing

Get pushed to another universe, do nothing

Likely

embersyc
01-17-2016, 11:50 AM
This is the worst thread ever, **** op for making the thread.

Also **** op for stealing part of my name.

SpaceJam
01-17-2016, 12:13 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: at comparing DeAndre to Big Ben

4 Inches
01-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Damn his wife is Thick yo

NBAplayoffs2001
01-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Can't wait to neg you tomorrow when I can :cheers:

Clifton
01-17-2016, 01:57 PM

Not all players who get 12 rebounds and 3 blocks a game are doing the same thing. Just like not all players scoring 30 points a game are doing the same thing.

Wallace had impact on games that went way beyond numbers. He got the whole team playing great defense, and he had the whole opposing team afraid to go into the paint. For every block he had, there were 3 he didn't need to have because nobody was even trying to score in his paint.

I watched that team hold team after team under 70 - UNDER SEVENTY points after FOUR QUARTERS of basketball - for weeks at a time. Yes they slowed down the pace, but that doesn't explain it.

DonDadda59
01-17-2016, 02:42 PM

It's ironic that Ron doing the right thing and walking away led to the Malice. If he had pushed back, he would've never been in a position to have that beer thrown at him. And NBA History would've been completely different.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-17-2016, 02:49 PM
It's ironic that Ron doing the right thing and walking away led to the Malice. If he had pushed back, he would've never been in a position to have that beer thrown at him. And NBA History would've been completely different.

Word. Do you think that's why physical play and handchecking were banned all together? I always figured the league wanted to up perimeter scoring BUT playing hard nose defense where rough fouls weren't always considered "flagrant" led to some serious brawls back then. That could have played a huge part, in my opinion

tpols
01-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Not all players who get 12 rebounds and 3 blocks a game are doing the same thing. Just like not all players scoring 30 points a game are doing the same thing.

Wallace had impact on games that went way beyond numbers. He got the whole team playing great defense, and he had the whole opposing team afraid to go into the paint. For every block he had, there were 3 he didn't need to have because nobody was even trying to score in his paint.

I watched that team hold team after team under 70 - UNDER SEVENTY points after FOUR QUARTERS of basketball - for weeks at a time. Yes they slowed down the pace, but that doesn't explain it.

For what its worth Big Ben has the highest defensive peak rapms ever.. if defense was looked at like offense, he would be a superstar.

Detroit
01-17-2016, 03:16 PM
These guys compared Ben Wallace to Deandre Jordan:lol

Keep this thread going plz:cheers:

Sakkreth
01-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Better don't return back to post again, you ****ed up.

Toizumi
01-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Great ceremony.
I hated that Stuckey wore number 3 right after Ben left the team. Didn't seem right.

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-on/2011/09/29/wallacex-inset-community.jpg