PDA

View Full Version : Master's Certificate?

UK2K
01-19-2016, 10:20 AM
http://www.michiganstateuniversityonline.com/programs/certificate/supply-chain-management/

I just received my associates degree in Supply Chain Management, but my boss' boss (senior project manager here) suggested I look into one or two of these master certificates through MSU.

At $6,000 a piece, they're pricey, but I can get them done in 8 months. He told me they're difficult, but I think I can manage. I am thinking of:

Master Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Logistics
Master Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Operations

The question is, what are the value of these in the real world? He (my boss' boss) has one himself, but said he'd like another, and said he'd take two of these over a bachelor's degree because these are specialized in an area of study, whereas a degree is a lot of useless bullshit.

Personally, I think bachelor's degrees are a waste of money unless you are planning to become a professional in something (doctor, lawyer, whatever), but you kind of have to have them. But these, these seem useful.

So, anyone have any insight? He thinks its the better option, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these.

plowking
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Are you getting them for a specific role, or for a role that entails some career progression? Have you heard any word in what way it can help you achieve that?

UK2K
01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Are you getting them for a specific role, or for a role that entails some career progression? Have you heard any word in what way it can help you achieve that?

My ultimate goal is to be a project manager. The good thing about these certificates is that they all contain management aspects, so if I decide Supply Chain isn't my thing, I can go into logistics management or procurement management or whatever.

The two I noted seem to be the most all encompassing, and I think with an associates degree and those two master certificates, and given my experience (think three to four years as a supply chain coordinator if I decide to move jobs) and my past work experience and history of promotions, I feel like the sky would be the limit.

iBandwagon
01-19-2016, 01:18 PM
So now you can be a McDonald's manager. Congrats :applause:

UK2K
01-19-2016, 01:25 PM
So now you can be a McDonald's manager. Congrats :applause:
So I should quit my job as a supply chain coordinator to go work at McDonald's? :confusedshrug:

Not sure i could take the pay cut, unless you mean be the general manager. Maybe though, I keep my options broad.

KyrieTheFuture
01-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Masters Degree

Draz
01-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Do you ever plan on being an owner one day? These don't get you further than manager positions. How much do managers make?

iBandwagon
01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
So I should quit my job as a supply chain coordinator to go work at McDonald's? :confusedshrug:

Not sure i could take the pay cut, unless you mean be the general manager. Maybe though, I keep my options broad.
Now you are thinking ahead. :cheers: