PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant's rebounding...

plowking
01-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Averaging 0.5 offensive rebounds a game this season, and over the last 6 seasons, averaging 0.6 offensive rebounds per game...

How is it that a dude at 6'11, with arms freakishly long, who is that athletic, can only pull down 0.5 offensive rebounds a game?

His 6'3 teammate for example pulls down 1.6 a game while playing less minutes too.

For further comparisons... 5'9 Isaiah Thomas pulls down 0.5 offensive boards a game too... in less minutes.
JJ Barea pulls down 0.4 per game while playing nearly half the time on court.

Is this an area that if Durant improved on would further help the Thunder and his own game? Really is quite poor for a guy this big and athletic to be putting up those numbers.

Graviton
01-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Durant is the least impressive superstar I have seen in terms of effort, 90% of the time it looks like he doesn't give a shit and is sleepwalking through the game. Still somehow ends up scoring like 30+ points but you never feel like he is even trying. Dude is just ice.

Him and Westbrook are like polar opposites.

BlazerRed
01-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Because he doesn't crash the glass on the offensive end, he is a perimeter player and has Ibaka/Kanter/Adams in there to do that. Westbrook is a freak rebounder for his position.. not exactly a good point of comparison.

stalkerforlife
01-19-2016, 11:52 PM
8 boards a game from the SF position.

OP confirmed Branvestite.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Probably some by design because he leads the league in rebounds for SFs. Westbrook also leads his position at offensive rebounds. Maybe they don't want two of their three perimeter players aggressively going after o boards.

You look at the other SFs and no one really kills the offensive glass other than Gay, Melo, Harris, and Giannis. And they're only 1.7 to 1.5.

plowking
01-19-2016, 11:58 PM
Because he doesn't crash the glass on the offensive end, he is a perimeter player and has Ibaka/Kanter/Adams in there to do that. Westbrook is a freak rebounder for his position.. not exactly a good point of comparison.

I realize, but like I said, this has been a constant over the last 6 seasons, not just this season... Kanter and Adams weren't there for all of them.

It is clearly an effort thing. There are other guys who play in the league with a better rebounding bunch, are smaller than Durant and still manage to get boards.

plowking
01-20-2016, 12:00 AM

Do you work for ISH? If not, when is the last time you had a job?

stalkerforlife
01-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Do you work for ISH? If not, when is the last time you had a job?

He leads the entire league in rebounds from his position.

The last time I had a job was right now...which is schooling you after you make an ass out of yourself. You're welcome.

GimmeThat
01-20-2016, 12:02 AM
besides the fact that basketball fans who may still wonder what would have happened to Kobe's career had he gone to the sixers as drafted by Caliperi have absolutely no life whatsoever

who guards Durant the best anyways?

I highly doubt his rebounding number is from the opposing team defensive plan being employed against him

BigMacAttack
01-20-2016, 12:05 AM
It isn't like he is a bad rebounder so the obvious answer is the correct one; He doesn't crash the offensive boards. As someone else said it is probably by design.

plowking
01-20-2016, 12:09 AM
The last time I had a job was right now...which is schooling you after you make an ass out of yourself. You're welcome.

So no?

BlazerRed
01-20-2016, 12:11 AM

:applause: :bowdown:

plowking
01-20-2016, 12:14 AM
It isn't like he is a bad rebounder so the obvious answer is the correct one; He doesn't crash the offensive boards. As someone else said it is probably by design.

Could be, yeah. Guess having a 6'11 guy back on defense, who is as quick as most guards in the league is always good for transition defense if you get caught out.

I still find it bizarre at his height he just doesn't naturally get more of them anyway.

FKAri
01-20-2016, 12:25 AM
Why would a guy who primarily shoots jumpers from the perimeter be in position to grab O bounds?

If Durant's is tussling with someone under the basket trying to box out as a shot is going up on the offensive end then something fukced happened with the offense on that position.

Durant is either the guy taking the perimeter shot or he is going to stay on the perimeter to pull the defense.

dazzer87
01-20-2016, 01:15 AM
all ft35 offer is scoring nothing else....why are people so surprised?

tpols
01-20-2016, 01:20 AM

the professor :applause:

LoneyROY7
01-20-2016, 01:22 AM
all ft35 offer is scoring nothing else....why are people so surprised?

27/8/4.

Dragonyeuw
01-20-2016, 06:30 AM
Averaging 0.5 offensive rebounds a game this season, and over the last 6 seasons, averaging 0.6 offensive rebounds per game...

How is it that a dude at 6'11, with arms freakishly long, who is that athletic, can only pull down 0.5 offensive rebounds a game?

His 6'3 teammate for example pulls down 1.6 a game while playing less minutes too.

Westbrook also averages more offensive rebounds than Lebron, which himself averaged 0.7 last year, even 1.2 this year for a player of his physical gifts isn't good. Durant's averaging 7.4 defensive( he has 3 seasons averaging that) to Lebron's 6.1 and slightly higher career defensive rebounding percentages. It should be noted that Durant's defensive rebounding numbers are higher than 10 of the top 20 rebounders.

Also, you're raising the issue of height but there's a certain amount of 'knack' and 'feel' involved in rebounding as well, knowing how the ball bounces off the rim and things of that sort. Two of the best rebounders of the last 20 years( and ever) in Rodman and Barkley were basically 6'6 or thereabouts.

retaxis
01-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Part effort, part risk of injury to his foot (Okay I thought that foot injury just about did his career in and he has proven me wrong so far), very high centre of gravity (other players will get low and shoulder his hips/knees) and of course the main reason is because he is often the finisher and shooters whom are finishers are rarely in a position for rebounding. TT on Cavs otoh fights to the rim every possession because he knows he isn't going to shoot it.

buddha
01-20-2016, 06:47 AM
because if KD was leaving his assignment and crashing the boards like Westbrook the opposing team would have a free layup after every defensive rebound.

westbrooks offensive rebounds are a net negative. when he doesn't get the rebound it leads to easy fast breaks. KD has to cover for his ass.

Elosha
01-20-2016, 06:54 AM
Could be, yeah. Guess having a 6'11 guy back on defense, who is as quick as most guards in the league is always good for transition defense if you get caught out.

I still find it bizarre at his height he just doesn't naturally get more of them anyway.

There was a very recent detailed article on ESPN( Truehoop I think) about the noticeable decline in offensive rebounds league wide over the past few years. Coaches are preaching a different philosophy of getting back and preventing transitional baskets as more valuable than fighting for offensive rebounds. It's a league wide trend, which probably also has an effect on perimeter players like Durant. Offensive boards also usually require a very aggressive and physical rebounding style, which isn't Durant's forte.

BuffaloBill
01-20-2016, 07:05 AM

:applause:

Smoke117
01-20-2016, 07:14 AM

You are the one that brings up Lebron in EVERY THREAD you ****ing dimwit. Get a damn job or eat a ****ing bullet and put yourself out of your misery already.

eklip
01-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Transition defense is more important than individual stats.