PDA

View Full Version : Teams that could've had Curry

Haymaker
01-21-2016, 08:49 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/8wir0h.png

Grizzlies and Minny are the worse. Minny passed on him TWICE.

:roll: :facepalm

Angel Face
01-21-2016, 09:07 AM
There's nothing shameful about not picking Curry. Who would have thought back then that he will be this good? No one except GS. That's it!

BuffaloBill
01-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Jonny Flynn though

Haymaker
01-21-2016, 09:19 AM
There's nothing shameful about not picking Curry. Who would have thought back then that he will be this good? No one except GS. That's it!

Well that's true. But still...

Draz
01-21-2016, 09:21 AM
1. Curry
2. Griffin
3. Harden

livingby3's
01-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Hindsight 20/20

SpanishACB
01-21-2016, 09:23 AM

GSW probably though he had the best peak of the remaining picks, no way they thought he would end up being this good. They would be contempt with half of Curry as it stands. It would of still been a good pick :eek:

Sarcastic
01-21-2016, 09:26 AM
He wasn't even the first target for GS, since they already had Monta Ellis
It was only after Donnie Walsh started yapping his gums about how the Knicks wanted him so bad, that GS decided to pick him.

Blue&Orange
01-21-2016, 09:41 AM
That year NBA draft made me sick. This thread not helping.

WorldWarriors
01-21-2016, 10:19 AM
LOL Warriors didn't think Curry would drop to 7. They were gonna trade the pick. Don Nelson knew exactly how good he'd be. So when he fell to them they snatched him up. Nelson was fired when new ownership came in. They are the ones who almost traded Steph for Bogut.

Coach Eddie
01-21-2016, 10:43 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/8wir0h.png

Grizzlies and Minny are the worse. Minny passed on him TWICE.

:roll: :facepalm
Minny is the worse for passing on him twice FOR OTHER POINT GUARDS.

strike
01-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Minnesota honestly. drafting two guards, neither of whom was curry :applause: :applause: :applause:

strike
01-21-2016, 10:49 AM
i remember this time quite well actually. Thabeet was always touted as one for "the future" and was considered a major risk at the time.

OKC already had westbrook so naturally didnt go for a PG

Tyreke was pretty highly rated back then so cant really blame the Kings for that one. hindsight is obviously 20/20

The Wolves are really puzzling though. Rubio fair enough had a lot of hype from europe and was worth the gamble. But Flynn over Curry is seriously puzzling.

DukeDelonte13
01-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Curry was never heralded as a can't miss sure fire prospect. This is a very stupid thread.

Genaro
01-21-2016, 01:21 PM
You can understand the Clippers (Blake was a no brainer), the Thunder (had Westbrook), the Kings (Tyreke is a good player) and to a certain extent even the Grizzlies (had Conley, Thabeet looked good in college) but the Wolves really dropped the ball. They picked 2 point guards right before Curry!!! Talk about bad scouting.
Even if you think Walt Jr. and Rubio could be good players, they don't compliment each other. Neither had a jump shot while Curry's was well known since Davidson.

Dresta
01-21-2016, 01:25 PM
That Flynn pick :facepalm

That guy never looked like he was gonna be any good.

Done_And_Done
01-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Jonny Flynn though

Could have sworn he tried to make a comeback this summer. Khan ruined him before he even touched the floor lol

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Why didn't you make this thread at the time then?

warriorfan
01-21-2016, 06:00 PM
All of the picks are somewhat excuseable except Flynn

Blake was dominant in College and was ready for the pro game

Thabeet was very iffy but we all know GM's cannot resist players who are 7'3'' any sort of athleticism

Harden and Evans looked like they were going to be obvious NBA material

Rubio had the Euro Hype train going which GM's irrationally gravitate towards

Flynn doe...what the fucc

The only thing they kept saying about him is that he is a "floor general" and some people tried to compare him to Cp3 even though it was obvious he was no where as athletic or skilled as CP3. Flynn was undersized, not very athletic, couldn't really shoot well...I have no idea what teams saw in him.

Other teams can maybe be forgiven for passing on Curry, but that Flynn pick was just insanity.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
i remember this time quite well actually. Thabeet was always touted as one for "the future" and was considered a major risk at the time.

OKC already had westbrook so naturally didnt go for a PG

Tyreke was pretty highly rated back then so cant really blame the Kings for that one. hindsight is obviously 20/20

The Wolves are really puzzling though. Rubio fair enough had a lot of hype from europe and was worth the gamble. But Flynn over Curry is seriously puzzling.

This and Evans was touted as the best NBA ready player of the lot and he did average 20/5/5 as a rookie and looked like a sure thing.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
To this day, I have no idea why Thabeet went this high. Thabeet is also the main reason why I thought Drummond would bust but I was completely wrong.

outbreak
01-21-2016, 06:04 PM
This.

Not a Bennett type scenario where a player was picked in a different spot than everyone predicted, everyone had Curry going lower in the draft so can't blame certain teams for missing him unless you blame every NBA scout, report, exec, talk show host etc.

outbreak
01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Could have sworn he tried to make a comeback this summer. Khan ruined him before he even touched the floor lol
He was playing in Australia recently

bdreason
01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Didn't Flynn have an impressive run in the tourney that year?

And don't forget that Rubio was a stash pick.

outbreak
01-21-2016, 06:12 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonny-Flynn-1245/

has Flynns scouting reports.

here's the mocks:

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/

some had him as high as 4, some had him out of the lottery. Thabeet was near universal number 2 pick.

Also looking at their college pics on that site it was one ugly first round

imdaman99
01-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Knicks were guaranteed to pick him but they were right after :(

Ended up with Jordan Hill instead :lol :rant

Clifton
01-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Nobody could have expected this.

Who the heck is Johnny Flynn, though? Did Minny trade for Rubio after their 6 pick or before? Rubio and Curry backcourt would have made sense, even then. I can't recall who their SG was at the time.

Rubio, Harden, and Griffin, even in retrospect, look like good picks (obviously none is as good as Curry, but 2 of them are top 10 players, and Rubio could be / should have been a great distributive PG).

Also Curry would not be the Curry we know in any system other than San Antonio and Golden State. And it took him 5 years to get there. 3 years ago nobody would take Curry over Griffin. Heck last year people were saying Harden was better. His will to develop + GS's system is a rare combination. His career could have turned out differently. And in general, he *shouldn't* be as good as he is. He's a total NBA outlier.

Clifton
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Didn't Flynn have an impressive run in the tourney that year?
Well, Curry had maybe the greatest tourney run in modern times, so... if scouts weren't high on him before that, I can't see why that would make the difference.

scm5
01-21-2016, 06:18 PM
I forget OKC could have picked him up. Can you imagine if he had the same career/injury path that he did while being picked up by OKC?

Injures his ankles over and over again, signs a contract way below his true value.

I know, all three would probably get far fewer shots, but they would likely be the most unstoppable team in history. Durant AND Curry on the same team, lighting teams up. Westbrook driving in and setting them up with easy looks? They would play like 27 mpg and blow teams out.

Clifton
01-21-2016, 06:23 PM
I forget OKC could have picked him up. Can you imagine if he had the same career/injury path that he did while being picked up by OKC?

Injures his ankles over and over again, signs a contract way below his true value.

I know, all three would probably get far fewer shots, but they would likely be the most unstoppable team in history. Durant AND Curry on the same team, lighting teams up. Westbrook driving in and setting them up with easy looks? They would play like 27 mpg and blow teams out.
Curry wouldn't be the Curry we know if he were on OKC.

He'd do well, but he is in a perfect situation right now. He would feel like a third wheel. He would get jealous with Westbrook over shot selection and would be deferring to Durant in the clutch (Durant was there first, more established).

As it is, they nabbed a top 5 player in James Harden and couldn't keep him.

outbreak
01-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Nobody could have expected this.

Who the heck is Johnny Flynn, though? Did Minny trade for Rubio after their 6 pick or before? Rubio and Curry backcourt would have made sense, even then. I can't recall who their SG was at the time.

Rubio, Harden, and Griffin, even in retrospect, look like good picks (obviously none is as good as Curry, but 2 of them are top 10 players, and Rubio could be / should have been a great distributive PG).

Also Curry would not be the Curry we know in any system other than San Antonio and Golden State. And it took him 5 years to get there. 3 years ago nobody would take Curry over Griffin. Heck last year people were saying Harden was better. His will to develop + GS's system is a rare combination. His career could have turned out differently. And in general, he *shouldn't* be as good as he is. He's a total NBA outlier.

Wolves took Flynn because Rubio wasn't going to come over to the NBA for a couple of years. Was still a silly pick still at the time to take both guards.

NBAplayoffs2001
01-21-2016, 06:26 PM

Dude was such garbage.

pastis
01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
minnesota :applause: :applause:

Wade's Rings
01-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Nobody expected Curry to be this good.

scm5
01-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Curry wouldn't be the Curry we know if he were on OKC.

He'd do well, but he is in a perfect situation right now. He would feel like a third wheel. He would get jealous with Westbrook over shot selection and would be deferring to Durant in the clutch (Durant was there first, more established).

As it is, they nabbed a top 5 player in James Harden and couldn't keep him.

I realize that, but his shot's been insane since he entered the league, check his stats. Sooner or later they'd realize just how talented of a shooter he is and utilize him properly.

Cleverness
01-21-2016, 06:55 PM

haha, I remember that day so well. I was listening to radio guys saying the Warriors would be picking between Curry and Hill

I saw Curry as a high risk high reward type player. So glad we chose him instead of Jordan Hill

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft had Curry going to GS
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/ had GS picking Hill

WorldWarriors
01-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Yeah those picks were fine except Flynn and the project.

tontoz
01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
The Wizards traded the 5th pick to Minny for Mike Miller/Randy Foye, both of whom were on expiring contracts.

:banghead:

FireDavidKahn
01-21-2016, 08:16 PM
To be fair, Rubio was a better prospect at the time. Flynn was a ****ing disaster.

Nick Young
01-21-2016, 08:18 PM
The T-Wolves ****ed up. They wanted a PG and they picked 2 shitty PGs ahead of Curry:lol

Straight_Ballin
01-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Minnesota honestly. drafting two guards, neither of whom was curry :applause: :applause: :applause:

And people wonder why KG left that joke of an organization. :lol