PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bayless admits on national TV that the Media has a bias when voting awards

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 12:53 PM
8:33 into the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_CMY6TcaPk

"the only thing i've seen in the past. I'm not calling anybody out. but occasionally i see this syndrome develop where if one player is more accessible and forthcoming to the media. more willing in interviews. he gets the nod. where if another guy is just a usual jerk to the media or distant or not available. he doesn't get the nod" - Skip Bayless

http://i67.tinypic.com/s4xmhw.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1028/nba_g_jamestrophies_gb1_576x324.jpg

Kobe wasn't accessible from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't forthcoming from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't willing in interviews from 2003-2015
kobe was a jerk to the media from 2003-2015
kobe was distant from the media from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't available to the media from 2003-2015

only just recently has kobe opened up to them.

did skip basically use kobes life story without naming names?

Fallen Angel
01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Sounds like he's talking about Kevin Durant, too.

KD's WS and PER are greater than LeBald's this season, yet KD never gets talked about as the best SF in the league.

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:00 PM
well its official ... throw out all the maurice podoloff trophies since 1980

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 01:02 PM
8:33 into the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_CMY6TcaPk

http://i67.tinypic.com/s4xmhw.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1028/nba_g_jamestrophies_gb1_576x324.jpg

Kobe wasn't accessible from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't forthcoming from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't willing in interviews from 2003-2015
kobe was a jerk to the media from 2003-2015
kobe was distant from the media from 2003-2015
kobe wasn't available to the media from 2003-2015

only just recently has kobe opened up to them.

did skip basically use kobes life story without naming names?

Shut up bro. This has nothing to do with Kobe.

Kobe was never a good MVP candidate besides 2008, and even in 2008 it could have easily gone to Chris Paul. So you should be happy he even has one MVP.

JerrySeinfeld
01-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Bron with 5 MVP's, Kobe with 1...

This isnt groundbreaking news here

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Shut up bro. This has nothing to do with Kobe.

Kobe was never a good MVP candidate besides 2008, and even in 2008 it could have easily gone to Chris Paul. So you should be happy he even has one MVP.

whos skip talking about then

:lol

and chris paul can have the 2008 mvp. its tainted anyway

i actually wish kobe didn't get one. it probably would have led to an investigation and the nba stripping the writers of their vote

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Bron with 5 MVP's, Kobe with 1...

This isnt groundbreaking news here

with admitted media bias against guys like kobe and towards guys like bron and nash

straight from the horses mouth

the writers are gonna kill skip for that shit

:roll:

SNITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odinn
01-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Did you see how he sounded like Kobe was a worthy MVP candidate after 2010? That's some professional sh.t right there.

I know it's stan thread but I have to congratulate the guy.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Shaq was great with the media, and only has 1 MVP.

Lets be real...it isn't your theory.

Fallen Angel
01-22-2016, 01:19 PM

KD's WS and PER are greater than LeBald's this season, yet KD never gets talked about as the best SF in the league.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.cgi

jlip
01-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Wasn't accusations of bias one of the reasons the vote was taken away from the players in 1980? I would prefer to see a combination of media and players voting. If there is a tie, maybe a collective coaches vote could break the tie.

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Didn't the media hate Lebron after the Decision? He even actively took on the villain role after that...and would continually say things like "you guys are going overboard with this". "You guys" was referring to the media.

But...Lebron still got MVP's after The Decision.

Theory debunked.

JerrySeinfeld
01-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Wasn't accusations of bias one of the reasons the vote was taken away from the players in 1980? I would prefer to see a combination of media and players voting. If there is a tie, maybe a collective coaches vote could break the tie.

That's not a bad idea.

Kblaze8855
01-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Doesnt take bias to choose an MVP who won 66 games with Mo Williams as a #2...or 61(with a 4 game losing streak as Bron sat out the end of the season) putting up like 30/11/8 when Mo went down going on 13 game win streaks...or a guy who won 66 while putting up 27/8/7 with 2 steals a game shooting 57% overall and 41% from 3. The Heat lost a game on February 1st...and aside from a Bulls game 27 wins later...they didnt lose another game Lebron played in until May the 6th....in the second round of the playoffs. Meaning 2 Bulls games aside...Lebron didnt suit up and lose from February 1st...to May the 24th. And in the May 24th loss...he went 14 of 20 from the field.

Lebron was winning virtually inarguable MVPs. You poll the media....the coaches...the fans...or the stray cats of America....Lebron wins at LEAST 3 of those 4 mvps. If they just wanted to give him MVPs he didnt deserve they could have. They didnt give him MVP for a 31/7/6 season shooting 48% on a 50 win team. They didnt give him the MVP for a 27/7/7 57% 36% from 3 season when they won 54 games.

Lebron didnt win MVPs when there was a half decent reason he shouldnt.

Nobody rational feels a need to look for a deeper reason a guy wins MVP when he wins 65+ games and puts up nearly unheard of numbers...

Notice how he didnt win in 06, 07, 08, 2011, 2014, and 2015 despite all time great play and good to great records? And how he likely wont win this year even with his team on pace for 61 wins?

He doesnt just get handed MVPs. He gets MVPs when only an idiot wouldnt vote for him. Which is why 90% of the Earth had him as MVP in every season he won it.

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Doesnt take bias to choose an MVP who won 66 games with Mo Williams as a #2...or 61(with a 4 game losing streak as Bron sat out the end of the season) putting up like 30/11/8 when Mo went down going on 13 game win streaks...or a guy who won 66 while putting up 27/8/7 with 2 steals a game shooting 57% overall and 41% from 3. The Heat lost a game on February 1st...and aside from a Bulls game 27 wins later...they didnt lose another game Lebron played in until May the 6th....in the second round of the playoffs. Meaning 2 Bulls games aside...Lebron didnt suit up and lose from February 1st...to May the 24th. And in the May 24th loss...he went 14 of 20 from the field.

Lebron was winning virtually inarguable MVPs. You poll the media....the coaches...the fans...or the stray cats of America....Lebron wins at LEAST 3 of those 4 mvps. If they just wanted to give him MVPs he didnt deserve they could have. They didnt give him MVP for a 31/7/6 season shooting 48% on a 50 win team. They didnt give him the MVP for a 27/7/7 57% 36% from 3 season when they won 54 games.

Nobody rational feels a need to look for a deeper reason a guy wins MVP when he wins 65+ games and puts up nearly unheard of numbers...

Notice how he didnt win in 06, 07, 08, 2011, 2014, and 2015 despite all time great play and good to great records? And how he likely wont win this year even with his team on pace for 61 wins?

He doesnt just get handed MVPs. He gets MVPs when only an idiot wouldnt vote for him. Which is why 90% of the Earth had him as MVP in every season he won it.

:applause: OP destroyed

Kblaze8855
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM

There were years the players voted 12-15 people for MVPs. A dozen guys might get a first place vote. Mike Bantam got a first place vote for being the 4th best player on a 32 win Suns team. Phil Chenier and Sidney wicks got first place votes over Kareem and Mcadoo.

The players were on some bullshit at times.

SugarHill
01-22-2016, 01:46 PM

:applause:

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Shaq was great with the media, and only has 1 MVP.

Lets be real...it isn't your theory.

a) its not a theory. a media member just said it and i'm reporting it

so its facts

b) i remember shaq being ignorant with the media... saying things like "i dont give a f*ck" to their questions ... or "i could care less" ... or "if we dont win then none of your shit even matters" or "i know i have to get up and put my underwear on first. i dont need you people to tell me to do that"... "the media creates drama between me and kobe. we're cool. you hype that shit up"

shaq also blames the media for nash winning in 2005

also... bruisers/back down centers arent popular with mainstream fans ( aka who the media is pushing agenda wise to get ratings )

theyre not the marquee talent

the media wants to talk about guys like

- allen iverson ( pound for pound goat! )
- steve nash ( the great white hope! )
- lebron james ( the next MJ!
- derrick rose ( the savior! )
- kevin durant ( the next bran!! )
- steph curry ( the greatest shooter ever! )
- dirk ( the next larry bird! )

the media also wanted vince carter and tracy mcgrady to be their guys. but their teams werent good enough

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Didn't the media hate Lebron after the Decision? He even actively took on the villain role after that...and would continually say things like "you guys are going overboard with this". "You guys" was referring to the media.

But...Lebron still got MVP's after The Decision.

Theory debunked.

initially the media hated lebron

which is why they voted that bogus chump rose mvp

he was their replacement. they tried their best didnt they

:oldlol:

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 01:53 PM
initially the media hated lebron

which is why they voted that bogus chump rose mvp

he was their replacement. they tried their best didnt they

:oldlol:

No, it was because in 2011 Lebron and Wade were still 1A and 1B.

After the Finals in 2011, Wade told Lebron that he needs to be the clear cut first option. Wade has said this many times in interview. He gave Lebron the team after 2011, which lead to Lebron's MVP in 2012.

Smoke117
01-22-2016, 01:55 PM

http://i.imgur.com/QQGdpWH.gif

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 01:58 PM

i argue that in 2009 kobe winning 1 less game with MVP stats of his own in a much much much much tougher conference is more valuable

i argue that anyone who ring chases to play with 2 other prime HOF'rs should be disqualified

2009 - kobe ( 1 less win in the west )
2010 - bran ( i can give him it that season )
2011 - howard ( more valuable than rose )
2012 - Paul ( turned around the clippers from 39%win percentage to 61%)
2013 - kobe ( much much much more valuable to the lakers chances at making the playoffs than bran was to miami )

this is as much as i can give lebron

1 mvp... thats all he deserved

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 02:00 PM
everyone in this thread wants to argue my point

they all think its wrong

news flash! ... its direct evidence that exposes the MEDIA!

i'm reporting FACTS

the media IS BIASED!... because THEY SAID THEYRE BIASED

i win... kobe is vindicated

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 02:01 PM
No, it was because in 2011 Lebron and Wade were still 1A and 1B.

After the Finals in 2011, Wade told Lebron that he needs to be the clear cut first option. Wade has said this many times in interview. He gave Lebron the team after 2011, which lead to Lebron's MVP in 2012.

I hear this argument all the time, bottom line is Wade started to decline after 2011. He was still a very good player, but no longer consensus top 5 player in the league caliber. So of course the better player, who happens to also be the best player in the world, is going to become first option. If they had been teammates a few seasons earlier, I'm sure they would have been 1/A & 1/B heading into '09 for example

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 02:02 PM
i argue that in 2009 kobe winning 1 less game with MVP stats of his own in a much much much much tougher conference is more valuable

i argue that anyone who ring chases to play with 2 other prime HOF'rs should be disqualified

2013 - kobe ( much much much more valuable to the lakers chances at making the playoffs than bran was to miami )

I argue that anyone who won't accept getting drafted by a small-market team be disqualified.

I also argue that anyone who demands a trade from his team instead of sticking with it be disqualified.

SugarHill
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
I hear this argument all the time, bottom line is Wade started to decline after 2011. He was still a very good player, but no longer consensus top 5 player in the league caliber. So of course the better player, who happens to also be the best player in the world, is going to become first option. If they had been teammates a few seasons earlier, I'm sure they would have been 1/A & 1/B heading into '09 for example

Wade was easily top 5 in 2011. What do you mean? His regular season stats were near identical to LeBron and he was capable of much more.

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM

This could be true. If Wade was still Flash in 2011 and one of the quickest guards in the league, he might not have had that conversation with Lebron over the summer.

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Wade was easily top 5 in 2011. What do you mean? His regular season stats were near identical to LeBron and he was capable of much more.

Yeah...but...Lebron was top 1.

And Wade knew it.

FKAri
01-22-2016, 02:04 PM

He's talking bout Kareem

SugarHill
01-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah...but...Lebron was top 1.
He sure showed it when it mattered :yaohappy:

Smoke117
01-22-2016, 02:05 PM

I was waiting for your stupid inept response to kblaze...and it didn't disappoint. :oldlol: The Human brain really is a marvel...that you can have people capable of well thought out retorts like the aforementioned kblaze...and then have people like you on the other end of the spectrum who are complete imbeciles.

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 02:07 PM

I clearly said AFTER 2011. '05-'11 Wade was clearly a top 5 player when healthy

kennethgriffin
I was waiting for your stupid inept response to kblaze...and it didn't disappoint. :oldlol: The Human brain really is a marvel...that you can have people capable of well thought out retorts like the aforementioned kblaze...and then have people like you on the other end of the spectrum who are complete imbeciles.

so you think a guy winning mvp cause he has slightly better numbers and 1 more win in a conference thats half as good is enough reason to give a man MVP?

and you also think a guy should be considered the most valuable player in the nba when his team would make the finals without him? ring chasing and colluding etc...?

fact is theres no way in hell anyone from the east deserved mvp from 1999 to 2015

but i said howard and bran could have 1 of those awards just out of simple fairness

but when its close the guy from the west should get it

Spaulding

Ya cause per and ws means your a better player

SugarHill
01-22-2016, 02:09 PM
I clearly said AFTER 2011. '05-'11 Wade was clearly a top 5 player when healthy
05? Nah

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 02:09 PM
so you think a guy winning mvp cause he has slightly better numbers and 1 more win in a conference thats half as good is enough reason to give a man MVP?

and you also think a guy should be considered the most valuable player in the nba when his team would make the finals without him? ring chasing and colluding etc...?

The only shot the Heat would have had of making the Finals without LeBron was 2011, and it's very questionable if they beat the Celtics or Bulls without him that year

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
05? Nah

If you factor in playoffs, I think an argument could be made. But ok, you're right, Wade wasn't "clearly" top 5 in '05 then

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
The only shot the Heat would have had of making the Finals without LeBron was 2011, and it's very questionable if they beat the Celtics or Bulls without him that year

the heat not only make the finals. but win back to back in 2011 and 2012 without lebron

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 02:12 PM
He sure showed it when it mattered :yaohappy:

Wade seeing Lebron play 4 bad games with an incorrect mindset did not change his opinion of Lebron's basketball ability - which was a culmination of him playing with the guy over that whole year and against him for the previous 7 years.

Nor should it have.

And the next year Wade's decision was proven to be the correct decision.

SugarHill
01-22-2016, 02:12 PM
If you factor in playoffs, I think an argument could be made. But ok, you're right, Wade wasn't "clearly" top 5 in '05 then
05 Wade was a better in the playoffs than Harden ever was and he was a sophmore :lol

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 02:13 PM
simply put. the east and west should have both had mvp awards

it was infinitely more impressive what kobe did playing in the west

which is why he beat 24 teams with 50+ wins to make 7 finals

while lebron beat 7 teams with 50+ wins to make 6 finals

ShawkFactory
01-22-2016, 02:20 PM

fact is theres no way in hell anyone from the east deserved mvp from 1999 to 2015

but i said howard and bran could have 1 of those awards just out of simple fairness

but when its close the guy from the west should get it
Dude, Kblaze shat on you.

Just give up.

I know you won't, but you should. It's embarrassing.

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Dude, Kblaze shat on you.

Just give up.

I know you won't, but you should. It's embarrassing.

he sighted lebron winning 66 games with mo williams in the east

well kobe won 65 games with pau gasoft in the west

i'm saying switch the 2 teams and see what happens

lakers in the east win 5-7 more games

cavs in the west win 5-7 less games

put kobes kwame/smush team in the east during those years and they win 50 games for god sakes

tmacattack33
01-22-2016, 02:30 PM

put kobes kwame/smush team in the east during those years and they win 50 games for god sakes

You said Kobe should have been MVP in 2013.

This thread was over after that (not that it should have received much attention before that in the first place).

ShawkFactory
01-22-2016, 02:41 PM

Nothing you're saying is helpful to you.

For instance, the Cavs went 26-4 against the west in 2009.

The Lakers went 21-9 against the east.

Lebron averaged 28/8/8 on 50% against the west. 29/7/7 on 49% vs the east.

Kobe averaged 28/5/4 on 48% against the west. 26/6/6 on 45% against the east.

FreezingTsmoove
01-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Watching first take and SAS is being a ****ing racist prick

Saying that Larry Bird could walk into any black community and be accepted :facepalm

Saying that blacks didnt get mad when he fought Julius Erving :facepalm

Saying he could ball like a "brother" :facepalm

****ing racist POS

Bankaii
01-22-2016, 02:45 PM
How is it questionable lol?

The loss to both without Lebron, but the Bulls especially.
Wade was absolute shit that series, even Bosh outplayed him.
He was arguably worse than Lebron was in the Finals.

ISHGoat
01-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Watching first take and SAS is being a ****ing racist prick

Saying that Larry Bird could walk into any black community and be accepted :facepalm

Saying that blacks didnt get mad when he fought Julius Erving :facepalm

Saying he could ball like a "brother" :facepalm

****ing racist POS

Well he can't be racist because hes black. Just like Muslim men can't be raping, cus theyre muzzies you know?

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Nothing you're saying is helpful to you.

For instance, the Cavs went 26-4 against the west in 2009.

The Lakers went 21-9 against the east.

Lebron averaged 28/8/8 on 50% against the west. 29/7/7 on 49% vs the east.

Kobe averaged 28/5/4 on 48% against the west. 26/6/6 on 45% against the east.

and yet who won fmvp that year with a 0-16 softy as his running mate

then a year later doing it again. becoming the only guy to win multiple titles without a top 50 all time teammate

its obvious the cavs were built on defense and three point shooting. theyre an underrated team as a whole

and its also obvious kobe was the superior player in 2009 based on results

kobe dominated the very team that annihilated lebron

L8krH8tr
01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
pretty sad how many losers watch First Take and actually take what these morons take seriously. Stephen Gay smith is a big time race baiter also.

Gus Hemmingway
01-22-2016, 03:13 PM
I watch First Take for the shock value, for the same reason I come on ish. I don't read most of it or take anything serious, but it's never the less entertaining.

SAS is def a blatent racist, he absolutely thinks blacks are superior. The same way Trump is, but i'm still voting for Trump because I want to see the world burn

FreezingTsmoove
01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
pretty sad how many losers watch First Take and actually take what these morons take seriously. Stephen Gay smith is a big time race baiter also.

Skip Bayless is great when it comes to football. Thats why I watch sometimes

SAS is just a moron. The show would be so much better without him. Hes just there for shock value at this point

Smoke117
01-22-2016, 03:20 PM

then a year later doing it again. becoming the only guy to win multiple titles without a top 50 all time teammate

its obvious the cavs were built on defense and three point shooting. theyre an underrated team as a whole

It's amazing how full of shit someone can actually be.

Kobe vs the Magic: 32.4ppg on .525%ts

Lebron vs Magic: 38.5ppg on .591%ts

The major difference? Kobe had a much better team around him. Individually Lebron was much better vs the Magic.

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 03:25 PM

I'm not saying Gasol should be ranked top 50 all time, but you're the dude who said this

bosh by the time hes retired will have 15+ allstar games and 2 nba titles

while winning his titles in his prime

and a near 20ppg/10rpg career average

itel hard to argue against him being one of the top 35-40 all time players

Hard to take you seriously in terms of player rankings if you actually believe this. ESPN had him ranked 86th btw, a full FIFTY spots higher :lol

ShawkFactory
01-22-2016, 03:32 PM

This entire thing is one huge deflection from how badly you were destroyed in my previous post

guy
01-22-2016, 03:32 PM

You're completely wrong. East was actually better then the West in 2009. Head to Head was 231-219 in the East's favor. East overall record was 621-609 and West overall record was 609-621. Lebron quite easily deserved the MVP in 2009 .

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
It's amazing how full of shit someone can actually be.

Kobe vs the Magic: 32.4ppg on .525%ts

Lebron vs Magic: 38.5ppg on .591%ts

The major difference? Kobe had a much better team around him. Individually Lebron was much better vs the Magic.

i've said this countless times. lebron ruins his team chasing 30 point triple doubles

when kobe has big nights and they lose. the media blames him for being a hog or freezing out his teammates or trying to do too much

when lebron breaks up what worked all year to try and stat pad... if he loses then its his teammates

this is the very type of media bias i'm talking about

kennethgriffin
01-22-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm not saying Gasol should be ranked top 50 all time, but you're the dude who said this

Hard to take you seriously in terms of player rankings if you actually believe this. ESPN had him ranked 86th btw, a full FIFTY spots higher :lol

give it 5 years

bosh isnt appreciated yet. but he will be

ShawkFactory
01-22-2016, 04:08 PM
i've said this countless times. lebron ruins his team chasing 30 point triple doubles

when kobe has big nights and they lose. the media blames him for being a hog or freezing out his teammates or trying to do too much

when lebron breaks up what worked all year to try and stat pad... if he loses then its his teammates

this is the very type of media bias i'm talking about
Lebron James' teams are 23-5 in his career when he records a 30 point triple double :lol

Bankaii
01-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Lebron James' teams are 23-5 in his career when he records a 30 point triple double :lol
Dude is getting absolutely destroyed:roll:

ShawkFactory
01-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Dude is getting absolutely destroyed:roll:
To be fair, he's teeing it up for me and then massaging my shoulders as I go to swing.

Genaro
01-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Even if we forget about Kobe's seasons (He has a argument for MVP in 06, 07 and 09), there other examples about how media bias plays a part in award voting. Barkley in 90 for instance.

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Even if we forget about Kobe's seasons (He has a argument for MVP in 06, 07 and 09), there other examples about how media bias plays a part in award voting. Barkley in 90 for instance.

Kobe really had no argument over LeBron in '09. LeBron had better stats AND won more games with the far inferior team