PDA

View Full Version : is D'Angelo Russell lowkey having the greatest rookie season for a 19 year old PG

STATUTORY
01-24-2016, 10:49 PM
in the history of the game? :confusedshrug:

TripleA
01-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Kyrie Irving?

IGOTGAME
01-24-2016, 10:58 PM
No.

red1
01-24-2016, 10:59 PM
no

G0ATbe
01-24-2016, 11:00 PM
It's definitely up there. Kyries the only one I can think of on par.

Jameerthefear
01-24-2016, 11:01 PM
uh, no.

AirTupac
01-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Shooting 52% FG and 48% from 3pt in his last 10 games while scoring 15 PPG.

He's doin quite well lately. Its so apparent how much better this team is when hes on the court. He can actually defend unlike Clarkson who seems to be only an offensive player. Now only if Byron stopped benching him when he gets hot.....

ZeN
01-24-2016, 11:46 PM
We wont ever know how good a PG he can actually be until the Lakers get a coach that will actually allow him to run the offense and distribute the ball on a regular basis.

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Id rather have a winner at such a young age like Mudiay

the youngest leader in the game

24-Inch_Chrome
01-25-2016, 12:24 AM
No.

Prime_Shaq
01-25-2016, 12:25 AM
Devin Booker >

outbreak
01-25-2016, 12:34 AM
He isn't even having the best season for a 19 year old point guard in his own damn class.
:facepalm

STATUTORY
01-25-2016, 12:44 AM
He isn't even having the best season for a 19 year old point guard in his own damn class.
:facepalm
:facepalm i know ur not talking about mudiay :roll: :roll:

WorldWarriors
01-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Devin Booker and Myles Turner are both 19 and are doing pretty well with their minutes. Myles Turner is ridiculous. He's only starting because a guy is out. He can score and defend. Numbers won't be there because he hasn't gotten the minutes. He's the best 19 yr old so far this year that I've seen. D'Angelo is doing well though.

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Its just funny how haters are running out of excuses. First it was

- hes so slow
- cant drive
- cant defend
- bad percentages

But WOW a rookie had problems and hes improving throughout the season where now hes attacking the rim more often, is playing decent defense and is shooting 52% from FG and 48% from 3pt.

Its like rookies are.... rookies or something , RIGHT GUYS? :pimp:

Now its "D'Angelo doesnt play winning ball" which is gonna change in a season or two as well (Bryon being sacked is the first step)

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 01:55 AM
:facepalm i know ur not talking about mudiay :roll: :roll:

Please post Nuggets record with Mudiay and without

I'll wait lil man

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 01:55 AM

I'll wait lil man

Post Mudiays stats lil man :oldlol:

At least he's at 37% the past 10 games.

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 01:56 AM

Typical Bran Stan

We really are hyping up stats for 19 yr old rookies now?

Impact, and wins is all I really care about lil bro

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 01:57 AM
Typical Bran Stan

We really are hyping up stats for rookies now?

Impact, and wins is all I really care about lil bro

Did I just get called a bran stan :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats the hardest diss Ive ever gotten, serious.

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 01:58 AM

At least he's at 37% the past 10 games.

Anyways 14/6/3 on 41% with wins over the Pistons and Pacers

Close losses to Memphis and Miami

Largest loss to OKC by 6 points

That impact :applause:

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 01:59 AM
D'Angelo PER - 13.58
Mudiay PER - 7.36

Mudiay is far below the league average of PER. Winning basketball. 32%. 4 TOPG. Winning.

STATUTORY
01-25-2016, 02:00 AM

I'll wait lil man

why don't you just post them chief :confusedshrug:

24-Inch_Chrome
01-25-2016, 02:01 AM
D'Angelo PER - 13.58
Mudiay PER - 7.36

Mudiay is far below the league average of PER. Winning basketball. 32%. 4 TOPG. Winning.
Are we really going to pretend that PER is enough to compare players?

Neither player has been great imo but they're both rookies and it's far too early to have any real conversation on who is better. Give it time.

Jameerthefear
01-25-2016, 02:02 AM
either way he was picked over KP and that just hurts

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 02:02 AM
DAngelo Russell

16/4/2 on 53% last 5 games

Wins over :oldlol:

Defeated by 18, 13, 19, 17, and 27

2 wins since December 28th where DAngelo actually helped lead his team to a victory

4 wins overall since December 28th

FreezingTsmoove
01-25-2016, 02:08 AM
Mudiay overall since returning from a terrible injury. Absolutely frightening injury

4-3 with wins over the Warriors :wtf: , Hornets :applause: , Pacers :applause: and Pistons :pimp:

12/6/3 on 38% shooting and 32 minutes a game (come on coach, the boys coming back from injury :facepalm but he knows Mudiay is giving him the best chance to win)

Danilo Galinari in January (With Mudiay)

24/5/2 on 44%.

3 games without Mudiay in January 1-3 with a victory over the TWolves

Danilo Galinari in December (With Mudiay injured)

17/5/3 on 40%

FKAri
01-25-2016, 02:31 AM
Overall Russell has been better than Mudiay.

It seems Mudiay is approaching the game from more of a floor general perspective. He's trying to orchestrate the entire offense. Often it looks like he's taking on a greater burden than he can bare.

Russell on the other hand isn't doing that. He either isn't comfortable, isn't allowed, isn't capable or (most likely) isn't trying to do that. Russell is picking and choosing his moments of when to take control of the offense, when to play like an off guard and when to give it to Kobe/JC and jog to a corner. He along with the staff probably feel he should be doing this. He's actually doing an incredible job balancing all this without fuccing up; not to mention Byron's "interesting" sub patterns.

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 02:39 AM
This guy acts like the dude shooting 32% and averaging 4 TOPG is the one helping Denver win. More like Danny boy is carrying that ahole of a team on his back.

The only that Mudiay is beating D'Angelo is assists and thats hardly surprising considering one guy has keys to the offense while the other guy gets benched for playing well and has to share the rock with multiple iso players.

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 02:42 AM
Are we really going to pretend that PER is enough to compare players?

Neither player has been great imo but they're both rookies and it's far too early to have any real conversation on who is better. Give it time.

You could use their overall stats, their recent stats, the eye test, PER etc. Most have Russell over Mudiay right now. Not surprising. I would never want my PG to be horribly inefficient and turnover prone. Maybe he'll learn, we'll see. But these comparisons are gonna happen either way.

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-25-2016, 08:03 AM
He will make the NBA All-Rokie team... 2nd team that is.

First Team

Karl-Anthony Towns
Jahlil Okafar
Kristaps Porziņģis
Emmanuel Mudiay
Devin Booker

Prime_Shaq
01-25-2016, 09:34 AM
He will make the NBA All-Rokie team... 2nd team that is.

First Team

Karl-Anthony Towns
Jahlil Okafar
Kristaps Porziņģis
Emmanuel Mudiay
Devin Booker
Are the rookie teams separated by positions as well?

kurple
01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Its just funny how haters are running out of excuses. First it was

- hes so slow
- cant drive
- cant defend
- bad percentages

But WOW a rookie had problems and hes improving throughout the season where now hes attacking the rim more often, is playing decent defense and is shooting 52% from FG and 48% from 3pt.

Its like rookies are.... rookies or something , RIGHT GUYS? :pimp:

Now its "D'Angelo doesnt play winning ball" which is gonna change in a season or two as well (Bryon being sacked is the first step)
is he shooting 52 and 48 for the season? holy shit, yeah thats impressive

i thought for a second that you were just cherrypicking games

as long as he isnt shooting anything like 41 and 33. for a guy who came out of college as an polished scorer

Pointguard
01-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Lebron was twice as good. Rose was easily much better than Russell at Russells' own strengths. Russell plays well and will be very good but he's a joke compared to those two, along with Deron Williams and CP3 all whom already knew how to impact games as rookies. Kyrie was also better than Russell. Russell only plays the game. Mudiay is playing to win games. Not apples to apples at all.

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 10:17 AM
is he shooting 52 and 48 for the season? holy shit, yeah thats impressive

i thought for a second that you were just cherrypicking games

as long as he isnt shooting anything like 41 and 33. for a guy who came out of college as an polished scorer

Better than that guy who came from a professional league, was touted as the more NBA ready PG because of his elite athleticism and yet is only managing to shooting 32% from FG and in the 20's from 3pt while averaging an astounding 4 TOPG as a PG. Damn.

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Lebron was twice as good. Rose was easily much better than Russell at Russells' own strengths. Russell plays well and will be very good but he's a joke compared to those two, along with Deron Williams and CP3 all whom already knew how to impact games as rookies. Kyrie was also better than Russell. Russell only plays the game. Mudiay is playing to win games. Not apples to apples at all.

LeBron's a PG ?

kurple
01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Better than that guy who came from a professional league, was touted as the more NBA ready PG because of his elite athleticism and yet is only managing to shooting 32% from FG and in the 20's from 3pt while averaging an astounding 4 TOPG as a PG. Damn.
who said Mudiay was more NBA ready? you cant just rewrite history for it to fit your agenda

Mudiay played 12 games between highschool and the NBA. he is basiaclly an college freshman

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 10:25 AM
who said Mudiay was more NBA ready? you cant just rewrite history for it to fit your agenda

Mudiay played 12 games between highschool and the NBA. he is basiaclly an college freshman

Everyone said it. Mudiay has been a professional baller for 2 years almost. No excuses.

kurple
01-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Everyone said it. Mudiay has been a professional baller for 2 years almost. No excuses.
12 games

In ****ing China. NCAA lever is higher

Mr. Jabbar
01-25-2016, 10:52 AM
to answer op:

Yes.

Yes he is.

BlazerRed
01-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Cam Payne >

golden24boy
01-25-2016, 11:27 AM
He had a slow start but now things are clicking for him in very limited time and role...his time is coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4nraRdOn3g
my point is that at least Dlo has the shooting potential. He will be great shooter. Unlike mudiay who will brick his shots entire career and will be poor mans Tyreke Evans at his best

STATUTORY
01-25-2016, 11:32 AM
He had a slow start but now things are clicking for him in very limited time and role...his time is coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4nraRdOn3g
my point is that at least Dlo has the shooting potential. He will be great shooter. Unlike mudiay who will brick his shots entire career and will be poor mans Tyreke Evans at his best

Mudiay is not good at things like shooting, finishing around the rim, passing without turning the ballover, essentially all requirement for quality PG play

Lakers Fan
01-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Someone is going to bump these DLO/Mudiay threads in a couple of years and you Mudiay stans are going to look like morons.

All you got is, "but Mudiay wins", like his teammates don't have anything to do with that.

Wally450
01-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Weren't Lakers fans trashing him back during Summer League?

NuggetsFan
01-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Someone is going to bump these DLO/Mudiay threads in a couple of years and you Mudiay stans are going to look like morons.

All you got is, "but Mudiay wins", like his teammates don't have anything to do with that.

All Russell does better is score more efficiently. Mudiay is by far the better defender, much better playmaker, better at running the offense. Russell just shoots the ball better and finishes better.

If Mudiay raises his FG% and he has been lately Russell fans will have nothing. DRuss went 2nd overall, was a beast in college and is comparable to Mudiay who went 7th overall and played 12 games in a random China league.

If Mudiay shoots 33% for his career, yeah give me Russell. Turnovers are whatever, rookie PG's are going to turn the ball over if there running the offense like Mudiay does. I still like Mudiay's size and physical attributes over Russell long term, especially given he's a better playmaker as well.

Levity
01-25-2016, 01:52 PM

a lot of them certainly were, along with 90% of ISH.

but those 10%... represent!! :rockon: :rockon:

golden24boy
01-25-2016, 01:57 PM
All Russell does better is score more efficiently. Mudiay is by far the better defender, much better playmaker, better at running the offense. Russell just shoots the ball better and finishes better.

If Mudiay raises his FG% and he has been lately Russell fans will have nothing. DRuss went 2nd overall, was a beast in college and is comparable to Mudiay who went 7th overall and played 12 games in a random China league.

If Mudiay shoots 33% for his career, yeah give me Russell. Turnovers are whatever, rookie PG's are going to turn the ball over if there running the offense like Mudiay does. I still like Mudiay's size and physical attributes over Russell long term, especially given he's a better playmaker as well.

Yes, you said it russel dont even run the Lakers offense yet. And these two are comparable...Imagine what happen when BS (not BullSh.tt, but Byron Scott) finally stop benching him and stop tanking and gives him the keys to lakers offense...Dlo will be beast average like 17, 6 immediately

veilside23
01-25-2016, 02:01 PM
it just about damn time for him to step up .

fact is he got picked ahead of okafor and porzingis both these dudes have been performing from the start

STATUTORY
01-25-2016, 02:02 PM

They are the same size and Russell is the better playmaker, Russell is a savant when it comes to passing, Mudiay barrells into the lane out of control and racks up turnovers as a result.

Russell sees passing lanes that Mudiay just doesn't have the court vision to do

AirTupac
01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Id say Russell is the better playmaker as well. or at least he will be once a new coach is here. Its unfair to judge them though in this area because they both dont have the same type of freedom to do such things. Literally D'Angelo is clamped into playing some retarded system that doesnt even allow him to continuously run simple offense like PnR's. Hence why his assists are so low.

Mudiay is a better defender though, ill give him that but D'Angelo is no slouch either.

Its just hard seeing a player like Mudiay become something when his shot is so flawed. It was apparent back then and its even more apparent now. Tyreke Evans as someone else said.

veilside23
01-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Mudiay is a better defender though, ill give him that but D'Angelo is no slouch either.

Its just hard seeing a player like Mudiay become something when his shot is so flawed. It was apparent back then and its even more apparent now. Tyreke Evans as someone else said.

John Wall, Rajon Rondo and Jason Kidd are bad shooters until what 4 or 5 years into the league... Mudiay is no tyreke(reke only plays with his right hand), tyreke was all hype mudiay didnt have the same hype as tyreke that's why he got picked 7th.. D'Lo was the one that got the hype they were even saying that he should be the first pick :rolleyes:

It is also unfair for you to judge Mudiay for his shooting when infact he admitted that he isnt a great shooter while everyone thought that D'Lo is the best playmaker before the draft :facepalm

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Are the rookie teams separated by positions as well?
No they're not. Coaches vote on the Rookies. It could be all PG's... It's the top 5 players in votes from coaches.

Genaro
01-25-2016, 07:20 PM
All D'Angelo opinions are blurred because of Byron Scott and unfitting teammates.
Byron Scott plays Russell too little time, runs a ridiculous offense and has him on a leash. Every mistake he makes is punished while guys like Lou and Kobe shoots as many balls they want.

The offensive playbook is laughable. They rarely let DLO carry the ball and immediately run a PnR. It's always "bring the ball up and give up to someone". A lot of times this someone is Lou and he doesn't get the ball back.

The rest of the team doesn't match at all his strengths. Randle and Hibbert aren't neither pick and roll or pick and pop players. Bass is used as center he's not very used in PnP's. Larry Nance could be used as a roller or a lobby finisher but they rarely play together. Larry is hurt right now and who Scott puts in to play? Tarik Black who is a good roller, is a C who could put Bass at his position (PF) and could play very well with DLO? Of course not. Scott put Ryan Kelly who gets a lot of passes from Russell for shots but either bricks them or pass them up. I don't know how this guy make it to the NBA.

There aren't a lot of spot up shooters on this team as well. Brown is maybe the only one but he needs to play with DLO. He wasn't even playing until 2 weeks ago. Nick, Lou and Kobe are the worst kind of teammates a young PG could have.
Clarkson is also a guy who needs the ball in his hands but he and DLO seems to understand each other.

So, long story short DLO's game is being harmed by Scott and by teammates who are either unfitting or bad players.

Combat Wombat
01-25-2016, 07:28 PM
All D'Angelo opinions are blurred because of Byron Scott and unfitting teammates.
Byron Scott plays Russell too little time, runs a ridiculous offense and has him on a leash. Every mistake he makes is punished while guys like Lou and Kobe shoots as many balls they want.

The offensive playbook is laughable. They rarely let DLO carry the ball and immediately run a PnR. It's always "bring the ball up and give up to someone". A lot of times this someone is Lou and he doesn't get the ball back.

The rest of the team doesn't match at all his strengths. Randle and Hibbert aren't neither pick and roll or pick and pop players. Bass is used as center he's not very used in PnP's. Larry Nance could be used as a roller or a lobby finisher but they rarely play together. Larry is hurt right now and who Scott puts in to play? Tarik Black who is a good roller, is a C who could put Bass at his position (PF) and could play very well with DLO? Of course not. Scott put Ryan Kelly who gets a lot of passes from Russell for shots but either bricks them or pass them up. I don't know how this guy make it to the NBA.

There aren't a lot of spot up shooters on this team as well. Brown is maybe the only one but he needs to play with DLO. He wasn't even playing until 2 weeks ago. Nick, Lou and Kobe are the worst kind of teammates a young PG could have.
Clarkson is also a guy who needs the ball in his hands but he and DLO seems to understand each other.

So, long story short DLO's game is being harmed by Scott and by teammates who are either unfitting or bad players.

This.

Wait till Russell is given the green light to run the offense and has teammates who aren't selfish chuckers.

Which means we probably have to wait till next season when Byron "Man up" Scott is given the flick and hopefully guys like Lou Williams and Ryan Kelly are no longer on the team.

Jameerthefear
01-25-2016, 07:48 PM
it just about damn time for him to step up .

fact is he got picked ahead of okafor and porzingis both these dudes have been performing from the start
yeah i mean
he just really has a lot to live up to. he was picked 2nd and is the 4th best rookie. then when u realize he was picked over KP it's like eh

kurple
01-25-2016, 07:52 PM
They are the same size and Russell is the better playmaker, Russell is a savant when it comes to passing, Mudiay barrells into the lane out of control and racks up turnovers as a result.

Russell sees passing lanes that Mudiay just doesn't have the court vision to do
what are you talking about?

jason kidd said mudiay's game reminds him of himself coming into the league

Russell is a very good playmaker (FOR A SHOOTING GUARD) but is not on Mudiay level. its not even close

Pointguard
01-25-2016, 09:50 PM
LeBron's a PG ?
Strange board. Nobody remembers that Lebron was a point guard the first year.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Strange board. Nobody remembers that Lebron was a point guard the first year.
Do you mean shooting guard? Listed as an SG on bbref.

Back In Shape
01-25-2016, 10:10 PM
John Wall, Rajon Rondo and Jason Kidd are bad shooters until what 4 or 5 years into the league...

I would never consider RR and Kidd good shooters. Kidd was an ok spot up 3 shooter, but his midrange and off the dribble game was always bad. Difference is, these 2 guys have other elite-level attributes.

Bandito
01-26-2016, 06:43 AM
Probably but it was mostly Cavs fans that were trolling him.

Bandito
01-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Do you mean shooting guard? Listed as an SG on bbref.
He was listed as a pg in NBA Live the year he got drafted though...I do remember that.