PDA

View Full Version : Hersey Hawkins vs Stephen Curry: Different Eras

32jazz
01-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Hersey Hawkins averaged 37 ppg at Bradley , was NCAA College player of the year (1988) & a>>>>>>>>>>>>College player than Curry.

6'3 190ish & a bit sturdier than Curry.

In the NBA Hawkins was a 50/ 40/90 guy who averaged over 20ppg several occasions although he only attempted about 4 3 point attempts per game instead of 7 or 8 like Curry.

Under the ' softer' near zero contact NBA rules I feel Hawkins absolitely flourishes today & no way Curry dominates the larger / longer / physical guards of Hawkins era( Like Payton who isn't 'the glove' nor a 1st ballot HOF' er & struggles a bit under todays rules).

warriorfan
01-26-2016, 06:10 PM
Hersey Hawkins would not be as good as Steph Curry if he played today

Steph Curry would be better than Hersey Hawkins if he played back then

Steph Curry takes a huge steamy shit all over John Stockton's wack ass

Deal with it

AnaheimLakers24
01-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Racist ass name lol you posted this so someone can call him hershey

chips93
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4634354/stephen-curry-nasty-handles-o.gif

maybe if hersey hawkins had handes like this he'd have gotten open for more threes

32jazz
01-26-2016, 06:34 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4634354/stephen-curry-nasty-handles-o.gif

maybe if hersey hawkins had handes like this he'd have gotten open for more threes

Or maybe if no one was able to physically hand check,forearm check body check or lollygag into the paint untouched ? Or force contact on his jumper to get to the line ?

Curry was a borderline all-star with brittle ankles who the Warriors only offered a 3
4 year $44 million dollar deal.

Slow down the with GOAT talk. Wasnt Durant the next GOAT a couple seasons ago?

Hawkins was easily the better College player/ scorer, but he did not have today's rules to free him up in the NBA.

Not that Hawkins would have a great run like this ,but .....

chips93
01-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Hawkins was easily the better College player/ scorer, but he did not have today's rules to free him up in the NBA.

and doug mcdermott was a better college player than curry

32jazz
01-26-2016, 06:46 PM
and doug mcdermott was a better college player than curry

But not an NBA all star who averaged 50/ 40/90 like Hawkins( The college thing was to point out he similarities I see with the 2 mid major scorers with Curry benefitting from different rules once he moved on).

Hawkins would flourish under these no contact rules whereas his one time teammate & 1st ballot HOF( Gary Payton) would struggle a bit .

He's certainly not 'the glove' as a glove actually makes contact with the body. Not today's NBA.

warriorfan
01-26-2016, 06:50 PM
op hasn't watched a basketball game in 20 years

32jazz
01-26-2016, 06:56 PM
op hasn't watched a basketball game in 20 years

Hope its not like that gif in which the defender was afraid to touch Curry/ get near.

Or Harden barreling down the lane untouched & flopping( and actually being rewarded for that at the line).

The League changed the rules for a reason so don't pretend ................

warriorfan
01-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Hope its not like that gif in which the defender was afraid to touch Curry/ get near.

Or Harden barreling down the lane untouched & flopping( and actually being rewarded for that at the line).

The League changed the rules for a reason so don't pretend ................

thanks for exposing yourself as some fakkit who only watches animated gifs and pretends like they know about basketball

juju151111
01-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Op is complete retard simple.

32jazz
01-26-2016, 07:12 PM
thanks for exposing yourself as some fakkit who only watches animated gifs and pretends like they know about basketball

Maybe you should attack the person who posted the gif to prove some point with Curry lollygagging untouched .

I did not post the gif that was supposed to impress me / prove something.:oldlol:

I was only pointing out that the game is much softer today for the sake of better ball movement , perimeter scoring & certain type players have benefitted .

Not necessarily a bad thing compared to how bogged down the NBA had become with ISO ball/ hand/ body/ forearm checks,etc.......

But In the words of Dennis Green " if you want to crown him(Curry), crown him".

warriorfan
01-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Maybe you should attack the person who posted the gif to prove some point with Curry lollygagging untouched .

I did not post the gif that was supposed to impress me / prove something.:oldlol:

I was only pointing out that the game is much softer today for the sake of better ball movement , perimeter scoring & certain type players have benefitted .

Not necessarily a bad thing compared to how bogged down the NBA had become with ISO ball.

But In the words of Dennis Green " if you want to crown him, crown him".

you were using a single gif to allude to the false notion that you cannot lay a finger on someone with out getting a foul callled

watch the 2015 finals and make a reassessment

the physicality difference between past and present eras gets way overstated and hyperbolized

references
01-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Racist ass name lol you posted this so someone can call him hershey
who even thinks of something like this? are you a true to life retarded person who accidentally acquired a computer?

La Frescobaldi
01-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Or maybe if no one was able to physically hand check,forearm check body check or lollygag into the paint untouched ? Or force contact on his jumper to get to the line ?

Curry was a borderline all-star with brittle ankles who the Warriors only offered a 3

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2007/12/10/timestopics/topics_reggiemiller_190.jpg

not sure more physical hand checking era would bother Curry.

I hear you about all the talk yeah we have heard it how many times over the years? but curry's been doing this two years at least, it's not been just a flash week or month or whatever.

90sgoat
01-26-2016, 10:32 PM
http://static01.nyt.com/images/2007/12/10/timestopics/topics_reggiemiller_190.jpg

I hear you about all the talk yeah we have heard it how many times over the years? but curry's been doing this two years at least, it's not been just a flash week or month or whatever.

Miller had to run constantly to find open 3s. Curry just has to walk it up and they carry the ball a couple of times - palming too - then get his open 3.

This era is a joke.

Warriors exploit the current crap rules which in a way is good because the league will be forced to cut down on the travel dribbles and allow more contact.

andgar923
01-26-2016, 11:19 PM

But we've SEEN physical play bother Curry.

Not that he'd become some scrub, but he clearly wouldn't be as effective.

Using Reggie is a bad example, he wasn't the primary ball handler and ran around the court using multiple screens. And while he may not have had Curry's handle, he was sneaky and had great footwork. And unlike Curry he could hit you in the low post and set you up in a number of ways.

Not to say he's better than Curry, but it feels as tho you're downplaying Reggie's skills.

But more importantly, Reggie was a tough tough dude, tougher than Curry is and perhaps will ever be.

juju151111
01-26-2016, 11:59 PM

Using Reggie is a bad example, he wasn't the primary ball handler and ran around the court using multiple screens. And while he may not have had Curry's handle, he was sneaky and had great footwork. And unlike Curry he could hit you in the low post and set you up in a number of ways.

Not to say he's better than Curry, but it feels as tho you're downplaying Reggie's skills.

But more importantly, Reggie was a tough tough dude, tougher than Curry is and perhaps will ever be.
Physical play bother him how?

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2016, 12:39 AM

I see what you mean.... no, I wasn't going there about Reggie at all.

Not even a little bit.

I was just thinking in terms of the size and physical power, see? Kind of similar build, is all. Reggie wasn't a big dude like some of those guards in those days yet he didn't just do.... ok........... that dude is truly one of the all-time greats.

Absolutely was tough as nails. Who knows if Curry would stand up under that style? Calvin Murphy was dang near pint size but he stood up to it for years and years.. and to me '70s was harsher ball than '90s by quite a ways. More brutal than '80s for sure.

Now as far as off-ball screens it is an interesting point. Klay uses them maybe more than Curry although I freely admit I have watched only a few Warriors matches this year (although I think I saw all their playoffs last season or maybe missed one).

Clearly the Warriors are doing things right but I do wonder if Klay ran point and it was Curry who ran guys through multiple screens......... it just doesn't seem like the right way somehow........ but I bet it would still be real real effective.

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Miller had to run constantly to find open 3s. Curry just has to walk it up and they carry the ball a couple of times - palming too - then get his open 3.

This era is a joke.

Warriors exploit the current crap rules which in a way is good because the league will be forced to cut down on the travel dribbles and allow more contact.

we don't agree bro, sorry.

Curry gets open on his own, a lot, with or without the ball.

RepMe
01-27-2016, 12:57 AM
:facepalm

oarabbus
01-27-2016, 01:14 AM

At least now we know you don't watch the games.

Opposing players frequently handcheck Curry at the top of the key. It happens several instances every game.

Steph also makes 4 point plays and finishes through contact at the rim. And you don't even know the rules of basketball. You can only forearm check a player who is posting you up/backing you down in the paint.

32jazz
01-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Not just the hand/ body checking or physical play coming into the lane ,but the pound inside out mentality.

Even in this era many did not see Curry as a PG ,but a small scoring guard in the vein of Hawkins.

Doubt whether Curry gets the opportunity to play point guard in Hawkins era.

From mid major scoring champs & similar 1st 5 seasons in the NBA I just simply saw a player like Curry in a different era/ different game with Hawk.

warriorfan
01-27-2016, 04:40 PM

Opposing players frequently handcheck Curry at the top of the key. It happens several instances every game.

Steph also makes 4 point plays and finishes through contact at the rim. And you don't even know the rules of basketball. You can only forearm check a player who is posting you up/backing you down in the paint.
:cheers:

32jazz
01-28-2016, 11:57 AM

:rolleyes:

So Curry is " touched on several instances during a game"? Certainly not "hand checked " to funnel him in a single direction.

Spare me the " Curry makes contact" nonsense when he was fined by the NBA at least once during the NBA playoffs for " flopping". Steve Kerr protested by admitting that " everyone does it" & specifically called out Westbrook & Crawford by name( Shocked he left off Harden).

Spare me NBA contact when the League has to install " Flopping Regulations" around 2012 because players barely getting touched learning to game the new quick whistle( no contact era) rules . Some leaning into defenders who dare get too close during penetration or a jumpshots.

I think Gary Payton is not a 1st ballot HOF' er under these rules and struggles a bit,but a teammate like Hawkins flourishes was my point about eras.

From College to their 1st 5 seasons in the NBA Hawkins ( 47% (fg) 40.6%( 3pa), 87%(ft) & 19 ppg )& Curry had similar careers.

Not saying the 1 time all star Hawkins ( like Curry' s 1st five seasons) would have seasons like the past 1 & a half by Curry , but the rules / philosophy are tailored for his game.

32jazz
01-28-2016, 01:52 PM

Using Reggie is a bad example, he wasn't the primary ball handler and ran around the court using multiple screens. And while he may not have had Curry's handle,

Not as effective because of physical play ,but as much or more " inside out " philosophy as well & not the full embrace of perimeter jacking from 3. There were questions as to whether Curry was a ' true' PG & like Hawkins he may have not gotten the opportunity to play Point in the past.

Hawkins was paired with traditional slash & dish PG' s like Mo Cheeks, Gary Payton Mugsy Bogues ,etc.....

Instead of working on his handles Hawkins was improving his strength / low post defense/ game so he could compete with his SG peers like the larger / longer Jordan, Ron Harper, Mitch Richmond , Drexler ,etc.........

As far as physicality :

When Steve Kerr' s only defense of his MVP getting fined for flopping in last year's playoffs is that he ' morally objects' because Curry does it all the time but 'why now' fine him. Also says that everyone does it( flops) & specifically name Crawford & Westbrook.

The NBA changed its rules for a reason & the game / individual players have unquestionably benefitted.