PDA

View Full Version : Is it not a technical for contact with the player throwing the ball in?

UK2K
01-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I feel like it is.

FYI after a made basket, Capela stepped out of bounds to throw the ball in, and Danny Green ran over and fouled him.

I'm pretty sure reaching across the baseline is illegal as it is. Making contact should be a technical.

WayOfWade
01-27-2016, 09:45 PM
I feel like it is.

FYI after a made basket, Capela stepped out of bounds to throw the ball in, and Danny Green ran over and fouled him.

I'm pretty sure reaching across the baseline is illegal as it is. Making contact should be a technical.
Agreed, that should not be allowed to be called as a foul. I loved Jeff Van Gundy though "Let's go foul him in the timeout!"

bdreason
01-27-2016, 09:47 PM
It's a dead ball foul (technical). One FT and the ball.

bdreason
01-28-2016, 01:40 AM
So I was wrong, since technically the ball is still live after a made basket.

However, if a defender touches the ball before it's released by the inbounder, or crosses the boundary line before the ball is released, it's considered a delay of game. That means the 1st offense is a warning, and the 2nd offense is a technical foul. If it's in the last two minutes of the game, it's an automatic technical.

That means the refs indeed enforced the rule incorrectly. As soon as the defender crosses the boundary line it's a delay of game foul (before the personal foul is committed). The play should then be reset, and if the defender crosses the boundary line again, it's at technical foul.

SpaceJam
01-28-2016, 01:42 AM
Houston still got their sh^t pushed in regardless, who cares