View Full Version : Found an expensive watch while balling

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 11:20 AM

warriorfan
01-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Ask enayes

ApexPredator
01-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Can't see the pic, but spinners? Like on a 2000s car in the hood?

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 12:24 PM
..eague, sometimes ball.

hateraid
01-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Was balling at my condo by myself and some dude came. I think the watch is his but I only know his first name and I have no idea how to contact him. I took the watch with me and put a note there for him to call my #.

The back has spinners and shit.

http://i.imgur.com/6WvRcti.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gvjidrw.jpg

I wouldn't have put a sign. I would have just kept it with me. Anyone who loses something that important or expensive will return. Just keep it with you and I'm pretty sure the owner will reveal himself

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't have put a sign. I would have just kept it with me. Anyone who loses something that important or expensive will return. Just keep it with you and I'm pretty sure the owner will reveal himself

Nah, he seemed like the type of dude that has no idea where he lost it. He seemed really out of it when he was talking to me yesterday. He will probably just buy another one. I've hung out with these rich ****bois before.

hateraid
01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Nah, he seemed like the type of dude that has no idea where he lost it. He seemed really out of it when he was talking to me yesterday. He will probably just buy another one. I've hung out with these rich ****bois before.

I was just thinking for personal safety. You don't want some random to call you up and rob you. But I guess that all depends on how your note was phrased

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
I was just thinking for personal safety. You don't want some random to call you up and rob you. But I guess that all depends on how your note was phrased

Thanks for looking out. My condo is pretty dam secure, can't use elevator without a fob and you can only go to the floor your fob is assigned to. I dont even lock my doors when I exit.

hateraid
01-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks for looking out. My condo is pretty dam secure, can't use elevator without a fob and you can only go to the floor your fob is assigned to. I dont even lock my doors when I exit.
No worries bro. But good on you for making an effort to return something that not yours.

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Was balling at my condo by myself and some dude came. I think the watch is his but I only know his first name and I have no idea how to contact him. I took the watch with me and put a note there for him to call my #.

The back has spinners and shit.

http://i.imgur.com/6WvRcti.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gvjidrw.jpg

:facepalm

It's called a rotor and it's on every watch that is an automatic. What you have there is a Girard Perregaux. They are decent watches but I can't seem to locate that particular model with the Ref.495251

All expensive Swiss watches denote their models by Ref. number and it shows the reference model on the case and I looked it up. Can't find it but judging by the pictures I am assuming it is real.

You need to show me more pictures. I know its a dress watch from their 1966 line but I can't tell which model.

It has a date function right?

I am ISH's resident watch expert btw.

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 01:50 PM
My advice....just return it to him.

It is not a very popular brand in the watch community. While the price tag seems like its high but its not worth that much in the watch community since you found it and it doesn't come with box and papers. It would be hard to verify the authenticity.

Most watch collectors are not looking for that brand. For example, car collectors will not spend 80k on a BMW when they can spend 150k on a Porsche. GP is a mid-tier brand and in a niche market of high end watches it will be very hard to sell that particular brand and model.

Who's looking for a 17k watch? Those who can afford it will be going for another brand/company.

Also, the watch community is very tight, and if the owner wanted to locate the watch while you are trying to sell it. He can find you. These kind of watches don't go floating around in the for sale section.

How many people are selling a Girard Perregaux Ref. 495251 and your only target audience would be people that are 'in the know' such as myself and collectors. Craiglist people would be like WTF brand is that? Like I said, you would have to sell it to people who know what that watch is.

Pawning it off would be the best bet and you are probably going to get 2-3k at most for it.

Yoshi
01-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Nice. Keep it.

Terahite
01-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Found an expensive ball while watching

fixed

Bosnian Sajo
01-28-2016, 02:31 PM
How many people are selling a Girard Perregaux Ref. 495251 and your only target audience would be people that are 'in the know' such as myself and collectors. Craiglist people would be like WTF brand is that? Like I said, you would have to sell it to people who know what that watch is.

Pawning it off would be the best bet and you are probably going to get 2-3k at most for it.

Do you realize how many people collect watches? You think there are just a few of you special select individuals "in the know"? Who even says shit like that? Even if the individual didn't know which brand it is, google is accesible by everyone.

If he doesn't comeback for the watch within a month, put it up on ebay for 10k. If it's worth 17k, you'll get bids for sure, just have some way to prove it's authenticity. Last resourt like 9er said, you could always pawn it for a couple thousand, which is always useful.

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Bosnian Sajo
01-28-2016, 02:41 PM
I've looked around at some of the places I look for watches, number of sites don't even have that watch, but for the ones that do the base price is 10k. Ik you said you didn't take it for the purpose of selling it, but 10k is a nice amount homie. Give the dude a month to comeback, that's more than enough time. He doesn't show? Sorry bro. He shows up 5 months later? Na I ain seen your watch, sorry bro.

If you didn't pick it up, someone else would of and sold it right away instead of first putting in effort to give it back. At least you're trying.

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 02:46 PM
I've looked around at some of the places I look for watches, number of sites don't even have that watch, but for the ones that do the base price is 10k. Ik you said you didn't take it for the purpose of selling it, but 10k is a nice amount homie. Give the dude a month to comeback, that's more than enough time. He doesn't show? Sorry bro. He shows up 5 months later? Na I ain seen your watch, sorry bro.

If you didn't pick it up, someone else would of and sold it right away instead of first putting in effort to give it back. At least you're trying.

Whats wrong with keeping it? :confusedshrug: Its a good dress watch that matches my every-day outfits anyways. I have a Daniel Wellington watch that looks very similar to this one, but now I can change the strap on the DW to black and now I can rock matching watches with Black/Brown belt/shoes.

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Whats wrong with keeping it? :confusedshrug: Its a good dress watch that matches my every-day outfits anyways. I have a Daniel Wellington watch that looks very similar to this one, but now I can change the strap on the DW to black and now I can rock matching watches with Black/Brown belt/shoes.

I would flip it for a sports watch.

Too bad it's a GP.

Why couldn't you have found something else...I may have given you an offer.

:D

Bosnian Sajo
01-28-2016, 02:53 PM

By all means keep it, but you could sell it and buy back a cheaper watch (1-5k) and pocket the rest of the cash. If you don't need the money, there are a lot of watches in the 10k pricerange I would much prefer over this specific GP, but of course it's up to you and your style.

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 02:54 PM
By all means keep it, but you could sell it and buy back a cheaper watch (1-5k) and pocket the rest of the cash. If you don't need the money, there are a lot of watches in the 10k pricerange I would much prefer over this specific GP, but of course it's up to you and your style.

If I can sell it for 10k, Im definitely flipping this shit lol. Pawn for 2-3k? No thx.

The watch seems pretty worn. Its definitely not in "good condition". Also has cigarette smoke odor. Makes me question the resale value.

rufuspaul
01-28-2016, 03:01 PM
I am ISH's resident watch expert btw.

Cool. Rate mine!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/rufuspaul/IMG_2772_zpsavk7eke4.jpg

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Cool. Rate mine!

High-end department store watch.

Good starter brand and something you can be proud of having.

Better than most people if you walked out the house with it.

Don't know if its real though. Is it?

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 03:06 PM
If I can sell it for 10k, Im definitely flipping this shit lol. Pawn for 2-3k? No thx.

The watch seems pretty worn. Its definitely not in "good condition". Also has cigarette smoke odor. Makes me question the resale value.

Change out the band and you are all good.

rufuspaul
01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
High-end department store watch.

Good starter brand and something you can be proud of having.

Better than most people if you walked out the house with it.

Don't know if its real though. Is it?

Yeah, got it as a Christmas gift from the wife about 3 years ago. I like that I don't have to take it off to go swimming. Replacing the battery is a biotch though, cost about $100.

Marv_Albert
01-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Ok so how do you even tell the time on that thing?

Bosnian Sajo
01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah, got it as a Christmas gift from the wife about 3 years ago. I like that I don't have to take it off to go swimming. Replacing the battery is a biotch though, cost about $100.

Do yourself a favor, and next time get a kinetic watch. Never buy another battery again, and the sounds of the gears moving around personally is music to my ears :oldlol:

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 03:39 PM

Good story and it looks like you wear it all the time. I wear my sport watches while doing everything too.

If you send it to Tag....they have a service that will polish up your watch and pressure test it for you.

It will come back to you brand new.:cheers:

Do you know how to use the bezel? I ask this of people with a dive watch.

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Good story and it looks like you wear it all the time. I wear my sport watches while doing everything too.

If you send it to Tag....they have a service that will polish up your watch and pressure test it for you.

Actually the nob on the watch I found is broken. It just slides right out when I pull it and I can't change the time. Do you know where I go to fix this? A regular repair shop? A specialty shop?

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Actually the nob on the watch I found is broken. It just slides right out when I pull it and I can't change the time. Do you know where I go to fix this? A regular repair shop? A specialty shop?

Try taking it to a watchmaker first. I would google one in your area. Like a local jewelry store with a watchmaker. Specifically ask for one....

You will probably need a new crown and stem.

-or-

If you can't locate a watchmaker in the area....go to their site and they can locate a dealer and try calling the dealer for help.

http://www.girard-perregaux.com/store-finder/retailers-en.aspx#

....if you break it...its yours

rufuspaul
01-28-2016, 04:09 PM

The way I understand it is you put the 0 by the minute hand and then you can tell how long you've been under water at a glance without having to do any calculations in your head, but I don't dive so...:oldlol:

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 04:12 PM
The way I understand it is you put the 0 by the minute hand and then you can tell how long you've been under water at a glance without having to do any calculations in your head, but I don't dive so...:oldlol:
:rockon:

Yep. It dates back before there were diving computers. The little white pearl above your bezel should glow so you can see it when you are underwater.

I use mine to time meats in the oven.

9erempiree
01-28-2016, 04:27 PM
That watch is ok, I dont really like the aesthetics of it.

I am superrrrr picky when it comes to watches, I still don't have any high dollar piece, can;t decide what I want

If you decide to get one...throw me a price and I will show you the best for your money...dress or sporty?

Levity
01-28-2016, 04:42 PM
maybe that dude reads ISH

we got a bunch of rich mo fo's on here, right?

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 04:44 PM
maybe that dude reads ISH

we got a bunch of rich mo fo's on here, right?

Hahaha wouldnt surprise me, seeing as eveyone here is a 6'3, 10% bf, CEO 10k/day, alpha male.

ISHGoat
01-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Dress def, but I would like a piece that sticks out.....my max I would be looking to spend is 1k, so just a average watch, nothing spectacular.

I like Daniel Wellingtons.

http://www.joesdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/daniel-wellington-dapper-collection.jpg

Not too expensive. Quartz though.

I actually have the one on the left. The watch that I found looks almost identical to it. Automatic mechanical movement and like 40x more expensive though. With 28k gold.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp273/monochorme/monochrome/Girard-Perregaux/girard-perregaux-1966-41mm-pg-angle.jpg

rufuspaul
01-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Got this neg that made me lol:
fits right in your **** hole

:oldlol:

ISHGoat
01-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Got this neg that made me lol:

:oldlol:

I got a grey rep too

"Maybe your **** got stuck"