PDA

View Full Version : Most Skilled NBA Player EVER

dhsilv
01-30-2016, 11:24 PM
This is an interesting question that is rarely thought of. I'd be SHOCKED if the most skilled player was actually a good or even average nba player. I mean lets open with every single guy in the nba is a genetic mutant. They are the freakest of freaks alive. Now sure a freak show could also have freaky skills, but I somewhat doubt it.

So who that is in the league is a true skill freak. A guy who's skills aren't built from genetic freaky athletic ability, but just fundamental skills?

Even a guy like john stockton had mutant hands. He was a freakish great athlete.

I would want to mention a guy like Manu, but he's so freaking athletic himself.

So thoughts Ish?

inclinerator
01-30-2016, 11:27 PM
chris paul

Random_Guy
01-30-2016, 11:28 PM
what do you mean by skill? I mean you have guys like steph who is ****ing fast, but I am sure he is the best 3pt shooter on the planet. Chris paul/deron william comes to mind, they are really athletic as well but their skill is also outworldly.

ShawkFactory
01-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Gotta be Larry legend

But Larry had that size tho

SamuraiSWISH
01-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Curry and CP3

FKAri
01-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Gotta be Larry legend

But Larry had that size tho

I was thinking Larry but I doubt the most skilled player in NBA history just happens to be 6'9''. He still could be.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-30-2016, 11:56 PM
Matt Bonner.

ISHGoat
01-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Steph by a long shot.

TripleA
01-31-2016, 12:01 AM
Steve Nash

Kingwillball
01-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Karl towns is one of the most skilled big men ever to enter NBA scary how good he can be in 3 or 4 years ..

JohnFreeman
01-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Nash and it's really not that close

Marchesk
01-31-2016, 12:17 AM
Maurice Stokes

La Frescobaldi
01-31-2016, 12:21 AM
Pure skills with the ball in his hands? Maravich.

Pure defensive skill? Duncan or Chamberlain.

Most complete overall? Jordan or Chamberlain.

Most flawless game? Walt Frazier, Ray Allen.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 12:21 AM
Maurice Stokes

ok how old are you? You'd need to be 90ish to have seen him play and have been old enough to comment. My grandfather is nearing that age and does post on facebook now and then but he's not going on nba message boards!

lilteapot
01-31-2016, 12:22 AM
Michael Jordan

Elite shooter, elite defender, great ballhandler, elite athleticism, elite post game, the only thing wrong with him is he needed pippen and phil jackson to help his bumass win but MJ is the only answer

Marchesk
01-31-2016, 12:25 AM
ok how old are you?

Not that old. Just thought I'd throw his name in the pot and see if anyone noticed.

stalkerforlife
01-31-2016, 12:27 AM
Kobe/Curry.

Take your pick.

Smook A.
01-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Ever? Probably Nash or Bird for me.

Currently, I say it's Steph Curry

Prime_Shaq
01-31-2016, 02:05 AM
Larry Bird/Steve Nash

24-Inch_Chrome
01-31-2016, 02:12 AM
The love for my man Steve Nash. :applause:

Reps/future reps going out.

sd3035
01-31-2016, 02:15 AM
Bird, Nash, and Curry

jimmyjames
01-31-2016, 02:20 AM
Karl towns is one of the most skilled big men ever to enter NBA scary how good he can be in 3 or 4 years ..:biggums:
What?! Ever? Pretty bold statement.

I wouldn't say ever, maybe in the last few years though.

deja vu
01-31-2016, 02:33 AM
Yao Ming is the most skilled for anyone 7'3" or taller.

Harison
01-31-2016, 02:41 AM
Sabonis.

keep-itreal
01-31-2016, 02:43 AM
Larry Bird
Steve Nash
Steph Curry

all white :bowdown:

Young X
01-31-2016, 02:44 AM
CP3.

Limited athleticism, smallest player on the court 98% of the time and still remains an elite player year after year despite being physically disadvantaged against almost every player in the league

Passing
Ballhandling
Shooting
Defense

All either very good to elite.

Last year for example, shot 49/40/90 (and 50/42/94 in the playoffs) while being #1 in assists and assist to turnover ratio.

There's no way in hell he should be as good as he is after his knee injuries. His game is 100% skill and smarts.

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-31-2016, 02:44 AM
Not more skilled than Arvydas Sabonis or Rik Smits or Ralph Sampson

OldSchoolBBall
01-31-2016, 02:49 AM
People sometimes have a very narrow definition of skills when stuff like this comes up. Mentioning guys like Nash, who had little to no skills in terms of working in the post, on the boards (positioning, footwork, fundamentals), working off the ball, defensively etc. is nearsighted. People tend to look at only 1-on-1 offensive skills (handle, shooting, shot creation ability etc.) and passing for this stuff.

I think it's guys like Bird, Jordan, KG, Kobe, and Hakeem. Only thing Bird is missing is the ballhandling, but in his younger days it was above average for his size.

ShawkFactory
01-31-2016, 02:54 AM
I was thinking Larry but I doubt the most skilled player in NBA history just happens to be 6'9''. He still could be.
Yea it's tough to make that call.

Larry is the most skilled player that we've seen (well I haven't unfortunately...very unfortunately). But if he were 6'3? Who the hell knows

You gotta go by what's actually been seen.

Like...maybe Nate Robinson was a bigger athletic freak than Lebron or David Robinson.

Didn't play out that way though

jstern
01-31-2016, 03:10 AM
It depends on how you view skills. If you study Michael Jordan's moves, there are so many subtleties that other players don't have. Including Kobe. If you look at it from that stand point, Michael is the most skilled for me. Now a person like Kobe is like a move hoarder, which is a very good thing. He has copied many of the Jordan moves that he can do physically, but he's missing some of the subtleties in Jordan's game, but he also copies other moves from other players. So someone can say he's more skilled because he copied most of Jordan's game, but might also add a Dirk fadeaway. Jordan is able to to do more in the comparison because of those subtleties.

Harison
01-31-2016, 03:34 AM
People sometimes have a very narrow definition of skills when stuff like this comes up. Mentioning guys like Nash, who had little to no skills in terms of working in the post, on the boards (positioning, footwork, fundamentals), working off the ball, defensively etc. is nearsighted. People tend to look at only 1-on-1 offensive skills (handle, shooting, shot creation ability etc.) and passing for this stuff.

I think it's guys like Bird, Jordan, KG, Kobe, and Hakeem. Only thing Bird is missing is the ballhandling, but in his younger days it was above average for his size.
Good post, skills apply to both sides of the court, not just offense.

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2016, 05:10 AM
Geo Mikan

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 07:58 AM
CP3.

Limited athleticism, smallest player on the court 98% of the time and still remains an elite player year after year despite being physically disadvantaged against almost every player in the league

Passing
Ballhandling
Shooting
Defense

Last year for example, shot 49/40/90 (and 50/42/94 in the playoffs) while being #1 in assists and assist to turnover ratio.

There's no way in hell he should be as good as he is after his knee injuries. His game is 100% skill and smarts.

Chris paul is in in the upper quarter of nba players athletically....

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 08:03 AM

Other than bird you just listed some of the most athletically freakish players to ever play the game. This is a non mutant list. Bird being 6'9 with HUGE hands and crazy vision is still another MUTANT!

I'm not sure you can even be in the conversation if you EVER made an allstar team. Nash is really the only guy I've seen anyone list who makes me pause for even a second. I stlll think he's way the hell more athletic than people give him credit for.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 08:05 AM
It depends on how you view skills. If you study Michael Jordan's moves, there are so many subtleties that other players don't have. Including Kobe. If you look at it from that stand point, Michael is the most skilled for me. Now a person like Kobe is like a move hoarder, which is a very good thing. He has copied many of the Jordan moves that he can do physically, but he's missing some of the subtleties in Jordan's game, but he also copies other moves from other players. So someone can say he's more skilled because he copied most of Jordan's game, but might also add a Dirk fadeaway. Jordan is able to to do more in the comparison because of those subtleties.

Jordan was pound for pound one of the strongest players to ever play the game. Big men would bounce off him. He had catchers mits for hands. Jordan isn't even in the conversation...he was way way way way way way way and another 10-20 trillion way's too big a genetic FREAK.

Luke Walton is all be it another mutant is much closer to what I'm looking for.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 08:10 AM
Another guy I think of is Trajan Langdon who could shoot like NOBODY. But he sucked athletically to the point he couldn't make it in the nba. He just couldn't move well enough.

Prime_Shaq
01-31-2016, 08:12 AM
CP3.

Passing
Ballhandling
Shooting
Defense

Same could be said for Nash as well, besides defense

feyki
01-31-2016, 08:49 AM
JR Smith .

midatlantic09
01-31-2016, 09:10 AM
My top 4 most skilled ever:

-CP3
-Isiah Thomas
-Steph Curry
-Stockton

I'm sorry, but anyone 6'9 or taller shouldn't even be in the running since being that tall makes playing the game so much easier, allows one to easily mask their flaws, and do things they'd never get away with at 6'2.

deja vu
01-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Not more skilled than Arvydas Sabonis or Rik Smits or Ralph Sampson
What? Rik Smits was not more skilled than Yao.

Only Sabonis has a claim to be more skilled than Yao.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:26 AM
My top 4 most skilled ever:

-CP3
-Isiah Thomas
-Steph Curry
-Stockton

I'm sorry, but anyone 6'9 or taller shouldn't even be in the running since being that tall makes playing the game so much easier, allows one to easily mask their flaws, and do things they'd never get away with at 6'2.

*face palm*

Those were all hall of fame guys.....all beyond elite athletes! And Isiah isn't half as skilled as the other guys listed, he's comically out of place among elite athletes.

TheOne
01-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Kyrie Irving

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Kyrie Irving

now you're just trying to get a rise out of people. what a joke!

SuperCereal
01-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Bird
Nash
CP3

Rocketswin2013
01-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Curry. Nash, Stockton, and Paul are close enough.

Curry is the most skilled player of my lifetime.

winwin
01-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Hakeem

SuperCereal
01-31-2016, 11:36 AM
Perkins?

DMV2
01-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Hakeem
first one came to my mind. cant believe it took 4 pages before Dream came up.

sd3035
01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Curry, Durant, and Kyrie are probably the most skilled currently

pauk
01-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Larry Bird is the correct answer.

pauk
01-31-2016, 12:07 PM

Compared to Curry/Durant/Kyrie, Lebron has better court vision / passing skills and basketball IQ/decision making (yes, that is a skill to!), better defensive skills/intangibles aswell, the scoring arsenal however is similar.....
Curry is a better ballhandler & shooter....
Durant is a better shooter....
Kyrie is a better ballhandler....

The most skilled right now are Lebron, Durant and then Curry, Harden.... in that order.... Kyrie currently atm is nothing but a fancy ballhandler.... stop trying to undermine Lebron, he is not some Gerald Green or something.... hell he is not even that athletic currently, that has decreased tremendously.

BuffaloBill
01-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Compared to Curry/Durant/Kyrie, Lebron has better court vision / passing skills and basketball IQ/decision making (yes, that is a skill to!), better defensive skills/intangibles aswell, the scoring arsenal however is similar.....
Curry is a better ballhandler & shooter....
Durant is a better shooter....
Kyrie is a better ballhandler....

The most skilled right now are Lebron, Durant and then Curry, Harden.... in that order.... Kyrie currently atm is nothing but a fancy ballhandler.

:yaohappy:

kennethgriffin
01-31-2016, 12:31 PM
consider this

#1 Jordan - most athletic player in the nba, big hands, way bigger than other 2's for half his career

#2 Kareem - extreme length advantage

#3 Russell - extreme size/athletic advantage compared with 99% of the league

#4 Magic - extreme size advantage over other pg's

#5 Kobe - no height, weight advantage over anyone at his position, small hands, limited athleticism during prime, played injured nearly every year

#6 Duncan - major height/reach advantage over most centers.

#7 Shaq - one of the most physical/athletic advantages ever

#8 Bird - major height advantage over other small forwards

#9 hakeem - major athletic advantage over other centers

#10 wilt - one of the most physical/athletic advantages ever

its pretty obvious kobe is the most skilled player ever.

he did more with less than most players... talkin about guys like steve nash who are barely top 40 all time.. lol

smoovegittar
01-31-2016, 01:21 PM
Magic Johnson for me.

sekachu
01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
This is an interesting question that is rarely thought of. I'd be SHOCKED if the most skilled player was actually a good or even average nba player. I mean lets open with every single guy in the nba is a genetic mutant. They are the freakest of freaks alive. Now sure a freak show could also have freaky skills, but I somewhat doubt it.

So who that is in the league is a true skill freak. A guy who's skills aren't built from genetic freaky athletic ability, but just fundamental skills?

Even a guy like john stockton had mutant hands. He was a freakish great athlete.

I would want to mention a guy like Manu, but he's so freaking athletic himself.

So thoughts Ish?

Michael Jordan. He has all kinds of arsenal

Good dribbling skill, not fancy but good enough to blow by anyone
His passing skill is above average.
His mid range is formidable
He can shoots 3pts when it is needed
superb post game
outstanding one on one
Excellent transition
unique footwork fundamental

One thing he doesn't have is unlimited shooting range like curry. Other than that, I can't think of what he can't really do.

AirFederer
01-31-2016, 03:15 PM
MJ by a landslide

Couple of random gifs to top things off

https://media.giphy.com/media/VrSQ9h0di4QKI/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/csKYAXzIVIljy/giphy.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/q553qtr0N0GVW/200.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/PPgEQvhUKOdfq/200.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/kKzxUd262u7qE/200.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/C4YFuLE3mqvo4/200.gif

https://media1.giphy.com/media/A65Rcyte7cIQE/200.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/bD3l95jfONnI4/giphy.gif

https://media4.giphy.com/media/XXSQ78vkCNl2o/200.gif

jstern
01-31-2016, 03:20 PM
Jordan was pound for pound one of the strongest players to ever play the game. Big men would bounce off him. He had catchers mits for hands. Jordan isn't even in the conversation...he was way way way way way way way and another 10-20 trillion way's too big a genetic FREAK.

Luke Walton is all be it another mutant is much closer to what I'm looking for.
Jordan could be as strong as you said, but the things that I'm talking about refer strictly to skills.

Here's 35 year old Jordan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tEmNWHHLg

If you watch that move in slow motion, he does this extra reach with his left leg. And I copied that one summer around ten years ago. Not just for the spin move, but other moves where I would turn my back to my opponent. It took me 2 months of playing non stop, and then it just clicked, and I was unstoppable. But it's really hard to explain, because it's more about a feeling with your feet. I haven't been able to get back to that since. (Imagine somebody trying to hug you on defense, and still easily going right by them, leaving them perplex, saying that they don't understand what's going on. Those little subtleties that cannot be explained is what I'm talking about.)

Here's a spin move compilation of other player's doing spin moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1l7ZvNxxkM

Here's Michael Jordan talking about what NOT to do during a fadeaway https://youtu.be/mTLSQqhFQ6M?t=128

And then here's Kobe getting embarrassed one day for doing exactly what Jordan is saying not to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TDVWnZ5K8

So that's where I'm trying to go with this conversation about skills. Someone like Jordan has a level of deep theory when it comes to the smallest things about his movements. There's a lot of skills involved in his movements, that people are just not going to notice. And that has nothing to do with being strong, but rather skills and IQ.

Bourne
01-31-2016, 03:34 PM
So many people are missing the point.

This thread is about skill. Skill is developed. Athleticism is not skill. Physical characteristics are not skills. Dribbling, passing, shooting, etc., these are skills.

Now start this f****** thread over again.

Thechosen1
01-31-2016, 03:53 PM
chris paul easily by far....he has no athletic mismatch advantage in any shape or form against his opponents...yet hes so hard to stop. He is the smartest player on the court, he has a deadly midrange jumper, rarely turns the ball over with the amount of time he has the ball in his hands, can score whenever he wants, plays elite defense for a guy barely 6ft.

Hes doing all this with TWO knee surgeries. If he never had his knee problems, he probably would be the GOAT pg.

the only flaw he has is the fact that he isnt more offensively aggresive. That one flaw is probably the reason hes ringless to this point.

90sgoat
01-31-2016, 03:58 PM
*face palm*

Those were all hall of fame guys.....all beyond elite athletes! And Isiah isn't half as skilled as the other guys listed, he's comically out of place among elite athletes.

Mark Price? But all NBA players are athletic.

yobore
01-31-2016, 04:03 PM
I'd go with CP3 for the reasons others listed, he is short for his position, lost his athletic edge over other PG's early on in his career (although even before running into the camera he wasn't blazing fast for his size) and came back and made himself a top player in the league again on skills alone.

Curry has an argument too, it really depends how much you overweight shooting though, which is the most important skill. Nash does not since if you are weighting shooting enough to pick him over Paul, Curry is more skilled than Nash.

IncarceratedBob
01-31-2016, 04:04 PM
nash was pathetic on defense.

Psileas
01-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Wow, 4 pages on and there are like 2 mentions of Magic. I guess a non big and a non athletic freak who's widely considered a top 5 player ever (even GOAT by some) has somehow done all this without being a serious most skilled ever candidate...:rolleyes:

inclinerator
01-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Wow, 4 pages on and there are like 2 mentions of Magic. I guess a non big and a non athletic freak who's widely considered a top 5 player ever (even GOAT by some) has somehow done all this without being a serious most skilled ever candidate...:rolleyes:
height and hand eye coordination is athleticism

Cold soul
01-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Steve Nash
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant
Jordan

Anyone of those five are the most skilled. You could also mention Curry and Hakeem who is most skilled big man.

kshutts1
01-31-2016, 05:16 PM
Offensively skilled, I need to mention, again, Maravich. Also some love for Cousy, but he was not known as a shooter.

Short list is probably...

Pistol
Nash
Curry
Bird
Stockton
Wilt in a sense
Hakeem
Hill
Alston
Jason Williams

I would disagree, pretty strongly, that the most skilled player ever is likely a bench warmer/nobody. Skills are highly valuable; we've likely heard of them. Also, I would caution us to say that just because they have "a" physical benefit means they are not eligible (see: Stockton's big hands, etc).

brownmamba00
01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Kareem is the most skilled big man of all time IMHO

followed by Hakeem

Cold soul
01-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Kareem is the most skilled big man of all time IMHO

followed by Hakeem

Yeah you could argue that it's close for me hard choice between these two skills wise.

Round Mound
01-31-2016, 07:51 PM
MJ, Big 0 and Hakeem: between these 3

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Michael Jordan. He has all kinds of arsenal

Good dribbling skill, not fancy but good enough to blow by anyone
His passing skill is above average.
His mid range is formidable
He can shoots 3pts when it is needed
superb post game
outstanding one on one
Excellent transition
unique footwork fundamental

One thing he doesn't have is unlimited shooting range like curry. Other than that, I can't think of what he can't really do.

MJ's ball control which falls into almost everything you listed is grossly biased by his beyond mutant freak hand size.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Yeah you could argue that it's close for me hard choice between these two skills wise.

eh, if we're talking hall guys, walton was more skilled than both. He wasn't as athletic. Heck Duncan you could make a case for, but again he wasn't as atheltic. But all of those guys were athletic as hell.

I'm looking for the guys who no measurement would EVER have you thinking they're nba worth, but yet they made it on skill and skill alone.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
first one came to my mind. cant believe it took 4 pages before Dream came up.

low basketball iq, horrible passer, freak level eye hand coordination at his size. He wasn't that skilled. He was that mobile.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:44 PM

Are they really better than say Reddick or Korver? Those guys are just way the hell better athletes. Danny Green is another guy, he can't dribble, he isn't coordinated enough, but he's got all time great timing, shooting, understands spacing.

What about a guy like Chuck Hayes? 6'6 and plays center/power forward. He's missing all kinds of skills athletically for that role yet he seems to make it work. Just perfect timing, spacing, footing.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:45 PM
consider this

#1 Jordan - most athletic player in the nba, big hands, way bigger than other 2's for half his career

#2 Kareem - extreme length advantage

#3 Russell - extreme size/athletic advantage compared with 99% of the league

#4 Magic - extreme size advantage over other pg's

#5 Kobe - no height, weight advantage over anyone at his position, small hands, limited athleticism during prime, played injured nearly every year

#6 Duncan - major height/reach advantage over most centers.

#7 Shaq - one of the most physical/athletic advantages ever

#8 Bird - major height advantage over other small forwards

#9 hakeem - major athletic advantage over other centers

#10 wilt - one of the most physical/athletic advantages ever

its pretty obvious kobe is the most skilled player ever.

he did more with less than most players... talkin about guys like steve nash who are barely top 40 all time.. lol

if you're in the top 500....you shouldn't even be considered. WTF is wrong with you? Oh yeah everything

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
MJ by a landslide

Couple of random gifs to top things off

https://media.giphy.com/media/VrSQ9h0di4QKI/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/csKYAXzIVIljy/giphy.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/q553qtr0N0GVW/200.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/PPgEQvhUKOdfq/200.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/kKzxUd262u7qE/200.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/C4YFuLE3mqvo4/200.gif

https://media1.giphy.com/media/A65Rcyte7cIQE/200.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/bD3l95jfONnI4/giphy.gif

https://media4.giphy.com/media/XXSQ78vkCNl2o/200.gif

That was literally a great argument for biggest and best hands ever....but not skills.

tpols
01-31-2016, 09:47 PM
MJ's ball control which falls into almost everything you listed is grossly biased by his beyond mutant freak hand size.

your whole mantra is pointless though.. physical attributes play a hand in initial motivation to develop skills associated with them. IE if you're naturally strong you might choose and excel at wrestling, if youre smart you might join a chess club and develop skill at that, etc. youre physical dimensions give confidence and inspiration to develop skills relative to your physical strengths.

Cant just hate on guys that were athletic on top of being skilled.. because there were many athletic specimens that couldnt properly dedicate their mental faculties towards developing the skill their bodies were capable of.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Jordan could be as strong as you said, but the things that I'm talking about refer strictly to skills.

Here's 35 year old Jordan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tEmNWHHLg

If you watch that move in slow motion, he does this extra reach with his left leg. And I copied that one summer around ten years ago. Not just for the spin move, but other moves where I would turn my back to my opponent. It took me 2 months of playing non stop, and then it just clicked, and I was unstoppable. But it's really hard to explain, because it's more about a feeling with your feet. I haven't been able to get back to that since. (Imagine somebody trying to hug you on defense, and still easily going right by them, leaving them perplex, saying that they don't understand what's going on. Those little subtleties that cannot be explained is what I'm talking about.)

Here's a spin move compilation of other player's doing spin moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1l7ZvNxxkM

Here's Michael Jordan talking about what NOT to do during a fadeaway https://youtu.be/mTLSQqhFQ6M?t=128

And then here's Kobe getting embarrassed one day for doing exactly what Jordan is saying not to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TDVWnZ5K8

So that's where I'm trying to go with this conversation about skills. Someone like Jordan has a level of deep theory when it comes to the smallest things about his movements. There's a lot of skills involved in his movements, that people are just not going to notice. And that has nothing to do with being strong, but rather skills and IQ.

Jordan is jordan, he's a skilled and masterful player, but his game was rooted in his talents and he was able to do things that most can't do. I don't deny that he's a great skill guy, but was he really more skilled than Adam Morris coming out of college? He was more talented, more athletic, had a better build, could do more with less if you will. Now nearly 15 years in the nba and working with trainers,l dude became robotic, but to be blunt, Kobe is more skilled than MJ, he isn't close to the genetic freak of MJ.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Mark Price? But all NBA players are athletic.

Dude price's first step was amazing as hell! That's the result of fast twitch muscle fibers. He was powerful for his size. He was amazing man.

Now that said he's a better example than some of the guys listed, but I'm really looking for guys who just had no business even making the nba but were just so damn skilled they made it anyway.

knicksman
01-31-2016, 09:55 PM
Curry if its quality of skills. Nobody could do what he does in history of this game. Hes a revolutionary.

dubeta
01-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Curry if its quality of skills. Nobody could do what he does in history of this game. Hes a revolutionary.

Agreed, wins MVP but 0 FMVP votes has never been done before :lol

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 09:57 PM
your whole mantra is pointless though.. physical attributes play a hand in initial motivation to develop skills associated with them. IE if you're naturally strong you might choose and excel at wrestling, if youre smart you might join a chess club and develop skill at that, etc. youre physical dimensions give confidence and inspiration to develop skills relative to your physical strengths.

Cant just hate on guys that were athletic on top of being skilled.. because there were many athletic specimens that couldnt properly dedicate their mental faculties towards developing the skill their bodies were capable of.

Well as a guy who gets asked daily if he played football...who actually played chess...I don't disagree with what you're saying. What i'm more interested in are the guys who were just so damn skilled they broke the rules if you will. MJ was built to either watch passes or play basketball. He was just a freak. He used that and trained to be as good as possible at it. Props to him. But there are a hell of a lot of guys who aren't 1/10th the athlete he was in the league, how did they get there? They are skills.

knicksman
01-31-2016, 10:21 PM

100%>>33.3%:sleeping

90sgoat
01-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Well as a guy who gets asked daily if he played football...who actually played chess...I don't disagree with what you're saying. What i'm more interested in are the guys who were just so damn skilled they broke the rules if you will. MJ was built to either watch passes or play basketball. He was just a freak. He used that and trained to be as good as possible at it. Props to him. But there are a hell of a lot of guys who aren't 1/10th the athlete he was in the league, how did they get there? They are skills.

Who?

Which players are in the league or were who were not above average athletes?

I really can't think of any who weren't also 7 feet.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Who?

Sure above average, but the nba is mutants vs freaks vs elite. Again look at a guy like Tyler Hansbrough who I get it he's still a freak, but he's a lite freak. I'm looking for some better more knowledgeable guys who know who were in that elite level but were just so skilled they by freak chance made the nba.

Overdrive
01-31-2016, 10:54 PM

Lebron won MVPs and didn't even make the finals.

With your usual "making the finals and losing is better than not making them at all"-logic winning them and not being FMVP is even better.

OT: As the player should have no freak athlete advantage I thought about it. And actually thought every NBA has some freak trait. Be it big hands, length, speed whatever and thought there's no exception. I actually think Jordan etc are more skilled than my canditate, but they didn't make the NBA on skill alone, but I think Andre Miller did it.

dhsilv
01-31-2016, 11:23 PM
Who?

Trajan Langdon who I've mentioned? How about 5'3 muggsy?

Muskarat
02-01-2016, 01:59 AM
Kobe

sekachu
02-01-2016, 02:15 AM

He gains benefit from his big hand but how does that relate to his skills. lol

Akrazotile
02-01-2016, 02:20 AM
Lebron hands down.