PDA

View Full Version : Mattress questions

hateraid
02-01-2016, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize we've had our mattress for 11 years now (the year my son was born). I'm in the market for a new mattress. I've had a Kingsdown pocket coil for so long. I've shopped around and found all this interesting new technology.

So here's some questions I have.

- How often do you change your mattress?

- Is a box spring necessary to change or have at all? I took away my box spring and found no significant difference

- I have a queen and find it is comfortable for me and my wife. What's a good one to have that's firm and enhances the sexing. I find we're banging more now that the kid is consumed to his room and sleeping in more

- Are those memory foams/gels that much more comfortable in the long run?

Draz
02-01-2016, 03:21 PM
The quality of older products will be missed. The newer mattress are made of shit sadly. I've had two in the basement since I was born.

~primetime~
02-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Buy a king, you'll never ever ever ever go back to a queen. The change is worth every penny, trust me.

Thorpesaurous
02-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I just bought a queen Helix mattress the last week that hasn't been delivered yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I like my mattresses on the firm side, and I like a cooler surface, so I think I'm gonna like the newer technology stuff for that reason.

I'm debating on a box spring myself. I'm thinking yes just for the added height.

hateraid
02-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Buy a king, you'll never ever ever ever go back to a queen. The change is worth every penny, trust me.

I like the extra floor area in the bedroom. We have a lot of clothes and accessories so I have an extra wardrobe closet. But what in your opinion makes the king better and worth the money?

hateraid
02-01-2016, 04:05 PM
I just bought a queen Helix mattress the last week that hasn't been delivered yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I like my mattresses on the firm side, and I like a cooler surface, so I think I'm gonna like the newer technology stuff for that reason.

I'm debating on a box spring myself. I'm thinking yes just for the added height.

I'm the same way. I like firm. It feels good on my back.
We took the box spring away because when my son was born my wife was paranoid of the baby crawling of the bed and falling on the hardwood floor. Lol. Never saw the difference and never went back.

Please let me know your review :cheers:

~primetime~
02-01-2016, 04:11 PM
I like the extra floor area in the bedroom. We have a lot of clothes and accessories so I have an extra wardrobe closet. But what in your opinion makes the king better and worth the money?
You can stretch out, move around, etc without hitting your wife, and she can do the same without hitting you. You get much better sleep.

In a queen, it's hard to just lift a knee up without disrupting shit.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaor_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-SleepTrain-Library/default/dw7aaaa46c/images/education/Mattress-PPL-Size-Chart-mobile.jpg

I used to share a queen...when I started using a king it was like "wow, I should have done this a long time ago"

Now...if your bedroom just isn't big enough, then there is nothing you can do I guess.

andgar923
02-02-2016, 07:05 AM
I didn't realize we've had our mattress for 11 years now (the year my son was born). I'm in the market for a new mattress. I've had a Kingsdown pocket coil for so long. I've shopped around and found all this interesting new technology.

- Is a box spring necessary to change or have at all? I took away my box spring and found no significant difference

- I have a queen and find it is comfortable for me and my wife. What's a good one to have that's firm and enhances the sexing. I find we're banging more now that the kid is consumed to his room and sleeping in more

- Are those memory foams/gels that much more comfortable in the long run?

The average lifespan of a matt is 8 years, naturally mileage will vary but 11 years sounds about time to upgrade. You might want to check with your manufacturer for warranty details and possibly upgrading for a fraction. Kingsdown I believe has a 25 year warranty.

Depending on the quality of the box spring, YES a box spring does make a difference. Box springs provide support for your mattress, they also allow for better air flow. Newer box springs have materials that help provide better airflow, the materials used won't have heat concentrate. Also, you may not even notice the condition of your box spring. They may appear to be in good shape on the outside, but may be damaged internally. A damaged box will affect the lifespan of your mattress, if you have bad support the chances of your mattress getting damaged increase.

The top mattress manufacturers have improved their memory foams and gels. Memory foam and gels are now an industry standard where almost every mattress includes them. The quality of theses materials changes depending on the brand and model.

Why are they important?

Memory foam gives you comfort. Think of it like shoes and the memory foam is the insoles. The gels aid with keeping your mattress cooler and offer support. Some mattresses offer 'latex' instead of memory foam, latex has a different feel gives you a bit more support than memory foam and maintains its shape longer.

You should never pay full price for a mattress and you can typically find them on sale at the big chain stores for 40% off or more. Do NOT buy shitty mattress, it's worth investing in a good mattress. Check out outlet and liquidation centers, although they won't give you warranty. Speaking of warranty, if you do buy from the big chain stores, it is recommended you buy their extended coverage, but make sure you ask them what the warranty covers and what voids it. People get mad that the warranty is voided when they have an issue with their mattress, but it's usually because these people don't take care of their mattress and caused it to get damaged. Which is why you need a box spring and proper support (i.e. frame).

Remember, you're investing in your health, we spend more money on other crap.

Do NOT rush to buy your mattress. Go to the store and test them for a minimum of 10 minutes. Have your wife come with you and both of you should wear comfortable clothes.

Also it is a HUGE myth that firmer is better. Firm is ONLY good if you sleep on your back. If you're a side sleeper (which 80% of people are) you want something that has a neutral comfort, preferably with a eurotop/comfort top (avoid pillow top).

enayes
02-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Try to find a smaller mattress outlet in your area. I bought a BRAND NEW QUEEN set, mattress and box spring for $240 TOTAL. This included delivery to our apartment.

The place I used in Cobleskill, NY was called Crazy Jay's and they made there own mattresses I believe to save on costs.

They market it as a bargain mattress that will last 3-5 years but for $240 delivered for mattress and box spring it was an awesome deal. Had the set for over 2 years now and it's still working out for us.

hateraid
02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
The average lifespan of a matt is 8 years, naturally mileage will vary but 11 years sounds about time to upgrade. You might want to check with your manufacturer for warranty details and possibly upgrading for a fraction. Kingsdown I believe has a 25 year warranty.

Depending on the quality of the box spring, YES a box spring does make a difference. Box springs provide support for your mattress, they also allow for better air flow. Newer box springs have materials that help provide better airflow, the materials used won't have heat concentrate. Also, you may not even notice the condition of your box spring. They may appear to be in good shape on the outside, but may be damaged internally. A damaged box will affect the lifespan of your mattress, if you have bad support the chances of your mattress getting damaged increase.

The top mattress manufacturers have improved their memory foams and gels. Memory foam and gels are now an industry standard where almost every mattress includes them. The quality of theses materials changes depending on the brand and model.

Why are they important?

Memory foam gives you comfort. Think of it like shoes and the memory foam is the insoles. The gels aid with keeping your mattress cooler and offer support. Some mattresses offer 'latex' instead of memory foam, latex has a different feel gives you a bit more support than memory foam and maintains its shape longer.

You should never pay full price for a mattress and you can typically find them on sale at the big chain stores for 40% off or more. Do NOT buy shitty mattress, it's worth investing in a good mattress. Check out outlet and liquidation centers, although they won't give you warranty. Speaking of warranty, if you do buy from the big chain stores, it is recommended you buy their extended coverage, but make sure you ask them what the warranty covers and what voids it. People get mad that the warranty is voided when they have an issue with their mattress, but it's usually because these people don't take care of their mattress and caused it to get damaged. Which is why you need a box spring and proper support (i.e. frame).

Remember, you're investing in your health, we spend more money on other crap.

Do NOT rush to buy your mattress. Go to the store and test them for a minimum of 10 minutes. Have your wife come with you and both of you should wear comfortable clothes.

Also it is a HUGE myth that firmer is better. Firm is ONLY good if you sleep on your back. If you're a side sleeper (which 80% of people are) you want something that has a neutral comfort, preferably with a eurotop/comfort top (avoid pillow top).

Amazing insight. Thanks for all of that. I'll definitely take all that into consideration. Repped

Wiltside
02-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Memory foam is so comfortable to the feel, but they don't vent easily, so I don't recommend them if you get hot too easily.

andgar923
02-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Memory foam is so comfortable to the feel, but they don't vent easily, so I don't recommend them if you get hot too easily.
This is partially true.

An average memory foam mattress may give some sleepers some heat issues. However, there have been improvements on their composition that allow them to breathe more. These memory foam mattresses usually have gel infused within their composition, these gels aid in regulating temperature and managing heat.

So it's important to do research on the type of memory foam composition used. Most top manufacturers have their own solution to help regulate temperature.

An alternative to memory foam is 'latex', but they tend to have a slightly different comfort level.

Another alternative is soy based memory foam, which is cooler but more expensive.

andgar923
02-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Amazing insight. Thanks for all of that. I'll definitely take all that into consideration. Repped
Sho nuff.... No problem.

It's important to understand mattresses since we spend a huge part of our lives on them. While I recommend being informed too much information may frustrate and confuse you.

I've seen people kill themselves over which to but because they were specs obsessed. They spend more time comparing specs instead of just laying on them.

The difference between mattresses in the same price range is minimal, it ultimately comes down to comfort or a specific feature one needs.

Thorpesaurous
02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
So everything has been set up since Saturday, and I can't remember sleeping this well this consistently. I couldn't be happier about the money I spent.

If I have a complaint, it's that the bed does sit a bit high. Truly sitting on it, my feet don't touch the ground. But I am using a full sized split box spring, which Helix says is purely optional. It is a thick mattress. I'm not sure no box spring is something I want to do though. I'm considering picking up a low profile box to save me 5 or 6 inches.

The mattress sits really firm, but there's a good three inches of softness that sinks in.

The only other thing I'd warn of in my review, is that I re-did everything. I have a new bed frame headboard / footboard, new sheets, blankets, pillow cases, mattress pad. Pretty much the whole package was re-done. So I can't in good conscious state as fact that the mattress is the isolated thing that's helping so much. And I'm coming off of a mattress and bed that were almost 15 years old I'd guess, so the upgrade is so huge, I can't say for sure the new stuff is great, or the old stuff just wasn't bad. But it certainly feels great.

I'm kinda going through a similar thing now with headphones for my PlayStation. I've never used gaming headphones. And I'm looking at the top of the line stuff. But because I've never used them, everything I try sounds blow my mind good.

hateraid
02-10-2016, 11:12 AM
So everything has been set up since Saturday, and I can't remember sleeping this well this consistently. I couldn't be happier about the money I spent.

If I have a complaint, it's that the bed does sit a bit high. Truly sitting on it, my feet don't touch the ground. But I am using a full sized split box spring, which Helix says is purely optional. It is a thick mattress. I'm not sure no box spring is something I want to do though. I'm considering picking up a low profile box to save me 5 or 6 inches.

The mattress sits really firm, but there's a good three inches of softness that sinks in.

The only other thing I'd warn of in my review, is that I re-did everything. I have a new bed frame headboard / footboard, new sheets, blankets, pillow cases, mattress pad. Pretty much the whole package was re-done. So I can't in good conscious state as fact that the mattress is the isolated thing that's helping so much. And I'm coming off of a mattress and bed that were almost 15 years old I'd guess, so the upgrade is so huge, I can't say for sure the new stuff is great, or the old stuff just wasn't bad. But it certainly feels great.

I'm kinda going through a similar thing now with headphones for my PlayStation. I've never used gaming headphones. And I'm looking at the top of the line stuff. But because I've never used them, everything I try sounds blow my mind good.

Awesome to hear!
If I went for a similar model do you think I can get away with no bed frame if it sits so high?

Shade8780
02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
ask your teacher

gawd

hateraid
02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
ask your teacher

gawd

About a mattress question?
Quit being a pathological liar and maybe people wouldn't shit on you so much. Are you really from Ireland even?

dunksby
02-10-2016, 11:31 AM

I have back problems since an injury during a ball game in college, so I always needed good mattresses that addressed the medical side. I was never happy with any completely, but sturdy ones did OK, a friend recently recommended this new type of mattress and I ordered a king size one. Will update when I actually get to sleep on it. But here is a list of features and characteristics that keep me very optimistic:
Features:

- Electrobiological, ecological and indeformable

- Anti-dust mite

- Hypoallergenic

- Ergonomic and anatomic design

- Temperature control

- Memory foam mattress

- Viscoelastic layer, double removable case

- The 3D tissue allows constant air exchange inside of the mattress

- The free circulation of air, eliminates body moisture, ensures greater hygiene and allows greater thermal stability, providing more restful nights. Ensures correct body posture when sleeping

- A good rest helps to prevent tort

andgar923
02-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Awesome to hear!
If I went for a similar model do you think I can get away with no bed frame if it sits so high?
You can buy a low box and/or frame

nathanjizzle
02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
its odd that humans in the year 2000 still use the basic concept of a bed for a nights rest which is one of the most important factors of health. someone needs to invent some kind of inclined sleeping chamber that uses some kind of sleep therapy or some sort for maximum recovery.

hateraid
02-10-2016, 11:49 AM
You can buy a low box and/or frame

Isn't it cheaper to buy by the set?

What are your thoughts on floor models? Place near me is giving 75% and giving the extended warranty.

andgar923
02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Isn't it cheaper to buy by the set?

What are your thoughts on floor models? Place near me is giving 75% and giving the extended warranty.
Oh yeah, it's cheaper to buy as a set. You can tell them you want low profile box springs and a low frame.

I've never heard of floor models with warranty so be weary. Are they a major chain?

Make sure you understand the warranty exceptions, because floor models are very rarely covered. That sounds fishy tbh.

I have no problem with floor models, just make sure you inspect the f*ck out of it.

hateraid
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah, it's cheaper to buy as a set. You can tell them you want low profile box springs and a low frame.

I've never heard of floor models with warranty so be weary. Are they a major chain?

Make sure you understand the warranty exceptions, because floor models are very rarely covered. That sounds fishy tbh.

I have no problem with floor models, just make sure you inspect the f*ck out of it.

It's a Sears Outlet.
Yeah I check the warranty. It's a clearance floor model so they are blowing out all '15s. 2000 Homerest down to 500.

tomtucker
02-10-2016, 12:17 PM

-

when i can

andgar923
02-10-2016, 12:19 PM
It's a Sears Outlet.
Yeah I check the warranty. It's a clearance floor model so they are blowing out all '15s. 2000 Homerest down to 500.
Sounds like a good deal.

Thorpesaurous
02-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Awesome to hear!

Perhaps. The website is okay with use direct on the floor. Personally I like a frame, but I do think I'm going to go with the low profile box spring soon.

The boxes were cheap. Like 200 bucks.

Even the mattress was only 950 bucks. 500 or so less than the stuff I saw at Sleepy's when I went in for the box springs. And from what the sales guy told me, a comparable mattress would've been closer to 2k.

I have back problems since an injury during a ball game in college, so I always needed good mattresses that addressed the medical side. I was never happy with any completely, but sturdy ones did OK, a friend recently recommended this new type of mattress and I ordered a king size one. Will update when I actually get to sleep on it. But here is a list of features and characteristics that keep me very optimistic:
Features:

[QUOTE] - Electrobiological, ecological and indeformable

- Anti-dust mite

- Hypoallergenic

- Ergonomic and anatomic design

- Temperature control

- Memory foam mattress

- Viscoelastic layer, double removable case

- The 3D tissue allows constant air exchange inside of the mattress

- The free circulation of air, eliminates body moisture, ensures greater hygiene and allows greater thermal stability, providing more restful nights. Ensures correct body posture when sleeping

- A good rest helps to prevent tort

dunksby
02-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Perhaps. The website is okay with use direct on the floor. Personally I like a frame, but I do think I'm going to go with the low profile box spring soon.

The boxes were cheap. Like 200 bucks.

Even the mattress was only 950 bucks. 500 or so less than the stuff I saw at Sleepy's when I went in for the box springs. And from what the sales guy told me, a comparable mattress would've been closer to 2k.

Features:

That sounds really similar to the features mine touted, except I don't have a removable case. My back, neck, and hips, all feel better already. And I have to sight that I have felt much more comfortable temperature wise. I did shut off part of my radiator, and put a headboard up near that spot, and the bed is closer to windows, so maybe that's part of it. But I had my doubts about how much temp effect the mattress could have because you're covering it with sheets and a mattress pad, but I have to say, it feels cooler than I'm accustomed to from my previous mattress, and I can sort of feel it "breath" when I sit on it.

Overall I just feel really good about all the money I've spent the last couple months.
Hopefully will feel the same :cheers:

aj1987
02-11-2016, 07:29 AM
My god this a boring thread

Andgar, why do you know so much about mattresses

Thinking about getting a tie rack, any suggestions?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

dunksby
02-11-2016, 07:58 AM

http://www.crazysales.co.nz/uploads/prdt_imgs/9899_1345170800.jpg

Bosnian Sajo
02-11-2016, 08:46 AM

lmfao, I was thinking the same thing. Although good insight indeed, it's like ISH knew I was in the market for a new mattress :cheers:

prime/andgar, for a single person do you recommend full or queen? I have twin atm, and ffs I'm sick of it.

dunksby
02-11-2016, 08:53 AM
lmfao, I was thinking the same thing. Although good insight indeed, it's like ISH knew I was in the market for a new mattress :cheers:

prime/andgar, for a single person do you recommend full or queen? I have twin atm, and ffs I'm sick of it.
Queen size is perfect, you have enough space to maneuver and it gets the job done when you bring a date over. Also she won't get too comfortable to overstay her welcome :lol

Bosnian Sajo
02-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Queen size is perfect, you have enough space to maneuver and it gets the job done when you bring a date over. Also she won't get too comfortable to overstay her welcome :lol

I don't gotta worry about bringing a date over, my parents are too religious for all that. It's either I go to her place or in the car (which is harder now ever since I bought my mustang). :oldlol:

I can't wait to finish college and move out...

Thorpesaurous
02-11-2016, 09:13 AM

I wish I could help, but I'm not allowed to wear ties at work. I have a bunch, but I probably only wear one a couple times a year.

And yes, this is a boring thread. Top notch insight though if you're looking for a mattress.

dunksby
02-11-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't gotta worry about bringing a date over, my parents are too religious for all that. It's either I go to her place or in the car (which is harder now ever since I bought my mustang). :oldlol:

I can't wait to finish college and move out...
Ah, I thought by single you meant the whole nine yards single, anyway, I used to have the queen size during college/university days and it's really good.
PS: People who undermine the value of a good bed have never served in the army :hammerhead:

andgar923
02-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Depends on your space.

Those extra inches make a difference no matter what she may say to you.