PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Pacers / Cavs game from Pacers network and I notice:

CavaliersFTW
02-01-2016, 09:22 PM
The background music is heavy metal like what I'd expect to hear from a monster truck show, not the usual beats most other teams have.

All the commercials are of white people. Even the basketball ones - it's all white people.

I have a friend who moved and now works in Indiana and he told me despite being INSANELY avid basketball fans (it's their favorite sport) most of the people dislike and don't even watch the NBA because of the reason "it's too black" and that they just watch college basketball... Any posters who live in Indiana is it true? The presentation definitely feels different..

bdreason
02-01-2016, 09:29 PM
A lot of white people in the middle of the Country. I'm sure teams like the Jazz, Thunder, Wolves, and Nuggets pander to their predominately white audiences as well. No different than the teams in the Southwest pandering to the Latino fans.

4 Inches
02-01-2016, 09:51 PM
I was really suprised when I saw the advert for that paedophilia help centre . :biggums:

FKAri
02-01-2016, 09:53 PM
This is funny to me cuz OP is white. You should be loving this shit.

CavaliersFTW
02-01-2016, 10:06 PM
This is funny to me cuz OP is white. You should be loving this shit.
I don't like metal music and I feel like metal music and basketball simply don't belong together - it's weird. Do you think all white people like metal music?

FKAri
02-01-2016, 10:21 PM
I don't like metal music and I feel like metal music and basketball simply don't belong together - it's weird. Do you think all white people like metal music?

I'm just saying I think any upbeat music in any genre can go with basketball.

As for metal. I probably agree with you. It doesn't usually fit unless it's upbeat in its groove and not more than lukewarm in its aggressiveness (by metal standards). Something like Crazy Train is probably perfect. Even though it is borderline metal and is played literally all the time in the NBA to the point where it's annoying me. It was even used to introduce the all-stars one season a couple years back.

Metal's among my least favorite genres in all of music tho (thrash metal particularly might be bottom of the barrel for me-can't stand Dave Mustaine and Megadeth type stuff).

tomtucker
02-02-2016, 04:02 AM
what kind of music do the spurs play ?

SpaceJam
02-02-2016, 04:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKBuuDKdsg

OP never forget.

Heavincent
02-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Metallica is the only metal band I would expect to hear at a basketball game, since songs like Enter Sandman and For Whom the Bell Tolls have basically become arena anthems.

BasedTom
02-02-2016, 04:25 AM
or maybe the rest of the league isn't white enough?

t. danny ferry

stephanieg
02-02-2016, 04:48 AM
I have a friend who moved and now works in Indiana and he told me despite being INSANELY avid basketball fans (it's their favorite sport) most of the people dislike and don't even watch the NBA because of the reason "it's too black" and that they just watch college basketball... Any posters who live in Indiana is it true? The presentation definitely feels different..

In my experience most sports conversations are about the Colts. Or nowadays what Peyton is doing.

When it does go to NBA vs. college no one is that blatant, but they usually use other fig leaf excuses like NBA players being lazy and not trying as hard or traveling too much. Riiight.

dunksby
02-02-2016, 04:52 AM
OP is the master of stereotypes lol, monster truck show music? So Hip-Hop is basketball music and should never be played at any other event? It's their arena and they can play any music that people there like, no genre has an exclusive right to any sports.

Spurs m8
02-02-2016, 04:53 AM
The league needs more breakdowns tbh

Clifton
02-02-2016, 06:47 AM
I live in Louisville (which is right next to Indiana and a couple hours from Indianapolis, and which is mostly indistinguishable from southern Indiana). Nobody watches pro ball here, everyone watches college.

I don't think it's because of race, because every black person I have met, literally without exception, who liked basketball, followed college closer than the pros (UK, U of L especially). It's just the local culture. I think it has something to do with a preference for local stuff to things more distant.

Every bar is packed for a UK or U of L game. Pacers game? Crickets.

Part of that is we don't have a team. But I think there's a reason we don't, and it's not race.

Indiana is, from what I understand, "whiter" than Kentucky, but there are notably "white" cities where the pro teams are huge and nobody cares about college. Aren't Boston, Oklahoma City, and Dallas fairly "white"?

buddha
02-02-2016, 07:09 AM
when I meet a white person I don't talk basketball with them unless they are wearing jordans or some other shoe that is most likely bought from footlocker. whenever I meet a black person I always talk basketball no matter how they are dressed.

Spurs m8
02-02-2016, 07:12 AM
when I meet a white person I don't talk basketball with them unless they are wearing jordans or some other shoe that is most likely bought from footlocker. whenever I meet a black person I always talk basketball no matter how they are dressed.

Don't blame your idiocy on white people though

StephHamann
02-02-2016, 07:29 AM
what kind of music do the spurs play ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5pl6W2CFE

swagga
02-02-2016, 11:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5pl6W2CFE

classy avatar pic tbh :oldlol:

Dro
02-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Ok, let me clear up some things. I always wonder why you guys don't just ask me, you know I live dead in the middle of Indianapolis.

So anyway, yes INDIANA is white as hell, but when people say that, they are talking about OUTSIDE of Indianapolis. The Colts and Pacers both play in downtown Indianapolis. The arena's are 10-15 blocks away from each other. In INDIANAPOLIS, this is where you'll find your urban areas, mostly all black and latino, nothing but the hood. I'm talking in the city.

Sure up north you have you Carmel and Fishers, Castleton, Broad Ripple, where its mostly affluent white folks with a few others sprinkled in. Those are pretty segregated areas. For instance, I've lived here all my live, never once been to Geist, you know where Reggie Miller, Paul George and others live, barely been to Carmel, etc. Its because I don't anybody who lives up there and I don't have any reason to be there. I ain't never had money like that neither has anybody else that I've really known.

A lot of the conversation does center around the NFL. Like someone else said, when it comes to hoops, yes we LOVE hoops here, but most of these people love college. The IU's, Purdue's, Butler's, Valparaiso, Notre Dame, etc, etc. There's a long standing amateur tradition here with the high schools and colleges. But that is definitely mostly among the white folks because again, most of my people don't go to the schools. They can't afford them or honestly are just not intelligent enough to cut it at those schools. So they go to Ivy Tech, Marion, state/community colleges.

I remember graduating from Broad Ripple high school and going to Ivy Tech. I saw ALL the same people I had been going to school with since 1st grade, lol. Serious. It was like high school all over again. So many of the black folks don't have these connections to these wealthy Indiana high schools and colleges so we don't care about the sports either. Now I watch IU and Purdue and Butler because I like ball but I'm WAY more into pro sports than college and the same holds true for most people I know.

Now at work? I work with a lot of white folks and they love their college sports, they love the Colts also but really don't care about the Pacers..

People here cared the most about the Pacers when Reggie was here, thats just a fact. When other more "urban" players, and lets be honest, they WERE acting a fool, like Jermaine, Artest, Stephen Jackson, Tinsley. When they took over, people stopped caring even though we were still good.

I've seen all the transformations and I pay attention because my family has always been diehard PRO sports fans, PACERS AND COLTS.

A lot of us root for Butler because despite what you see on TV and despite the fact that the school is too expensive, its located RIGHT IN THE HOOD, believe it or not. So I do root for Butler because its right up the street, lol...

But make no mistake, Indiana OVERALL is and will always be a heavy, conservative, and mostly white state once you get outside of Indianapolis and go to Terre Haute, Kokomo, Anderson, Muncie, etc...These are what people mean when they say Indiana is mostly "white". They're not talking about Naptown, they're talking about outside of Indianapolis.