PDA

View Full Version : Why is Marilyn Monroe so popular and why do women look up to her?

stalkerforlife
02-02-2016, 12:23 AM
I don't get it. At all.

Why would anyone look up to her?

Women are morons.

ROCSteady
02-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Human beings are drawn to tragic figures, specifically ones who are in the performance art realm.

Probably because lots are aware how many issues they themselves have but at least these people have left marks in fields that are perceived by the everyman and everywoman to be glamorous

BasedTom
02-02-2016, 12:46 AM
status is important

so imagine someone who was ****ing with the president

the one president who doesn't look like a crusty old creep

stalkerforlife
02-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Human beings are drawn to tragic figures, specifically ones who are in the performance art realm.

Probably because lots are aware how many issues they themselves have but at least these people have left marks in fields that are perceived by the everyman and everywoman to be glamorous

Good point.

Maybe it's why I like Kurt Cobain.

Damn...I got schooled.

My only problem is people thinking she's some sort of genius.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Probably because they can relate to her need to stick out and express her slu... i mean liberated soul and that ol' "If you can't handle me at my worst you sure don't deserve me at my best."

Mother Theresa, Wilma Rudolph, Amelia Earheart, Marie Curie and hundreds of others are a million times more admirable.

Smook A.
02-02-2016, 12:51 AM
She was a huge sex symbol during her time. I remember my films study teacher telling me in high school that she was the most photographed woman in the world during the 40s and 50s because of her beauty. She just had "that look" that appealed a lot of men and women. Also having a big role in a few popular movies must've helped :lol

highwhey
02-02-2016, 12:59 AM
Probably because they can relate to her need to stick out and express her slu... i mean liberated soul and that ol' "If you can't handle me at my worst you sure don't deserve me at my best."

Mother Theresa, Wilma Rudolph, Amelia Earheart, Marie Curie and hundreds of others are a million times more admirable.
Also many think sluts are a modern phenomenon. So in their mind she can't be labeled a slut

Nick Young
02-02-2016, 12:59 AM
She is hot.

Women of today look up to her because they think she was a plus sized fatty. There is a myth going around fatty feminist circles that she was overweight. In reality she was nearly fit as the hotties of today, and a very healthy weight. This is proven by looking at any photo of her.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RCZCKp1usmY/T9k5D2NncKI/AAAAAAAAMiw/xfxRFlZmj1M/s1600/Marilyn+Monroe+++bathing+suit+++1949+Santa+Monica+ 5.jpg

In her prime, she was a dime.

But women today use her as an excuse to be fat. Even though Marilyn was in good shape physically.

Average American woman: "Back in the day a plus-sized woman was the #1 sex symbol in Hollywood. I am hot just like Marilyn because we're both fatties."

ROCSteady
02-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Good point.

Maybe it's why I like Kurt Cobain.

Damn...I got schooled.

My only problem is people thinking she's some sort of genius.

I was going to bring that up in my first post but forgot, she is Kurt Cobain for women. Or maybe Kurt Cobain was the was Marilyn Monroe of grunge :lol

Both had noticeable talent and magnetism that was revered by many but both also had major demons internally that ended up being their ultimate downfall.

I'm a fan of both. Marilyn Monroe wasn't just some pin-up bimbo even though it's easy to arrive at that perception nowadays. She was a highly ambitious and hard working woman who was far more intelligent and soulfully earnest about life and the human condition than surface judgments would suggest.

Although figures like this tend to be romanticized after early death, you would be surprised how much of the internal troubles many creative people share she had in common with someone like Cobain

Nick Young
02-02-2016, 01:44 AM
She did sleep her way to the top though.

stalkerforlife
02-02-2016, 01:45 AM
I was going to bring that up in my first post but forgot, she is Kurt Cobain for women. Or maybe Kurt Cobain was the was Marilyn Monroe of grunge :lol

Both had noticeable talent and magnetism that was revered by many but both also had major demons internally that ended up being their ultimate downfall.

I'm a fan of both. Marilyn Monroe wasn't just some pin-up bimbo even though it's easy to arrive at that perception nowadays. She was a highly ambitious and hard working woman who was far more intelligent and soulfully earnest about life and the human condition than surface judgments would suggest.

Although figures like this tend to be romanticized after early death, you would be surprised how much of the internal troubles many creative people share she had in common with someone like Cobain

I hate women too much to concede Monroe being "talented."

I think she just exploited her sexuality.

L.Kizzle
02-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Dorothy Dandridge and Lena Horne were better actresses and more beautiful on the eyes.

ROCSteady
02-02-2016, 02:11 AM
I hate women too much to concede Monroe being "talented."

I think she just exploited her sexuality.

Well she wasn't the most talented actress ever but she was a lot smarter than just being a sex symbol, even though she knew how to play that role, even off screen so well.

I learned a lot about MM I never knew and grew to have more admiration than I ever have had through a documentary called Love, Marilyn.

If you're really interested in what was appealing about her besides being sexy, check it out. I'd wage that you could relate to a lot of her insecurities and thought processes, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gDT6V1Zr4

Here's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9JFJRSDMg

Here's the full thing, if you're interested in the full version. Parts of it blew me away and it was odd not only how much I learned about a lady I thought was just a sexy pin up broad from an era past but parts of her psyche I could relate to being a dude in 2015

imnew09
02-02-2016, 02:19 AM
Because they could relate to her. Sleeping around and not feeling guilty. I aint mad tho... Love them thots

stalkerforlife
02-02-2016, 02:31 AM
Well she wasn't the most talented actress ever but she was a lot smarter than just being a sex symbol, even though she knew how to play that role, even off screen so well.

I learned a lot about MM I never knew and grew to have more admiration than I ever have had through a documentary called Love, Marilyn.

If you're really interested in what was appealing about her besides being sexy, check it out. I'd wage that you could relate to a lot of her insecurities and thought processes, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gDT6V1Zr4

Here's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9JFJRSDMg

Here's the full thing, if you're interested in the full version. Parts of it blew me away and it was odd not only how much I learned about a lady I thought was just a sexy pin up broad from an era past but parts of her psyche I could relate to being a dude in 2015

Thanks, dude. I'll check it out.

BasedTom
02-02-2016, 02:36 AM
She did sleep her way to the top though.
Not the first and certainly not the last to do it. Still she did it better than most.

Lebron23
02-02-2016, 09:32 AM
She F*cked some powerful individual in Hollywood, and in US Politics.

9erempiree
02-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Cultural icon.

Starlet.

First sex symbol.

Ahead of her time looks.

Old Hollywood aka Golden Age of Hollywood. If anyone read about that period of Hollywood or watch old movies would know what I'm talking about. Very interesting. I may make a thread about Old Hollywood.

dunksby
02-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Women like psychos.

Thorpesaurous
02-02-2016, 10:51 AM
She's sympathetic because she is viewed as being exploited by men at the highest level. I think there's a sense that "if it can happen to her ..." kind of thing that goes on with her.

She was with the most prominent actor/singer, mob boss, president, athlete, and writer of the era. Her persona was magnetic in a way that goes beyond her looks.

I also think modern women like her because her physique would be considered a bit heavy today, or soft at the very least.

Meticode
02-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Ms. Monroe was unique because she was ahead of her time on what society found attractive in a woman.

JohnnySic
02-02-2016, 10:54 AM
The original J-Lo/Kim Kardashian. Someone has to be popular, even if its for no apparent reason.

Velocirap31
02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Considering these were the days before photoshop, she must have been stunning.