PDA

View Full Version : Has "relatablility" mattered more than ever for an NBA coach nowadays?

no pun intended
02-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Let's take a look at the three most recent coaching changes this season...

Kevin McHale → J.B. Blickerstaff (Age:36)
David Blatt → Tyronn Lue (Age: 38)
Jeff Hornacek → Earl Watson (Age: 36)

As well as past seasons...

George Karl → Brian Shaw (hired after Karl won Coach of the Year)
P.J. Carlesimo → Jason Kidd
Mike Woodson → Derek Fisher

All three firings echoed the same sentiments among the players, where they were no longer responding to their coaches. I've never watched basketball before the turn of the millenium, but can anyone comment whether or not there has been an evident, increasing trend to hire younger, but less experienced coaches? If so, why do you think this become more common and frequent compared to ever before?

CavaliersFTW
02-02-2016, 10:30 PM
As Van Gundy recently stated: "I have no idea what it takes to not get fired in this league anymore - it certainly isn't about winning"

Blatt, highest winning % in Cavs history by a longshot, .675, best record in the East, fresh off a Finals appearance where we got in a few crucial wins despite a totally crippled squad, FIRED.

Honestly, who the hell knows what the criteria for coaching is in this league I still can't believe Blatt got fired.

livingby3's
02-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Media drives the world today. Social media and guys on the internet, like you and I, I think the internet plays a bigger role than what people would like to believe.

I don't know just my thoughts.

Akrazotile
02-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Them colored players dont wanna take instructions from a hwhite man.

TonyMontana
02-03-2016, 12:53 AM
No.

The NFL is slowly going down this route too.

The players are becoming increased divas, not giving the coach the respect which is necessary in sports, really all facets of life where there is an older, and wiser gentleman in charge. These guys can't handle any kind of criticism without throwing a fit. Thus "Yesmen" are plugged into the role to appease the highly talented diva players, which you unfortunately need if you want to win in the NBA. The amount of stars that are like Duncan, Dirk, or Steve Nash is quite low.

I actually agree with the Blatt firing though. It's obvious he is not a good coach. The Cavs winning percentage is simply because they play in the Eastern conference and have 3 players that are superstars when healthy. Half the people on this messageboard could have coached this Cavs team to the Finals/#1 seed in the East. What really matters is being able to combat The Western contenders.