PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin or Shawn Kemp

TAZORAC
02-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Who would you rather have on your team, Griffin or prime Kemp.

plowking
02-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Tough question. Kemp was better than his stats suggest. From 92-96 He was up there with the best forwards in the game. He was on the level of Hill, Malone, Pippen and Barkley who at times made the first team over him.

In all honesty Griffin does just about everything better though. Passing, scoring, dribbling, shooting, etc. I'm not sure if that is due to being given the opportunity or if he is in fact better...

It is close. I like Kemp better. He played with more flair, or at least with the flair/attitude that I like.

raprap
02-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Griffin

brownmamba00
02-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Prime Kemp was relentless

Blake is soft

Im Still Ballin
02-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Tough question. Kemp was better than his stats suggest. From 92-96 He was up there with the best forwards in the game. He was on the level of Hill, Malone, Pippen and Barkley who at times made the first team over him.

In all honesty Griffin does just about everything better though. Passing, scoring, dribbling, shooting, etc. I'm not sure if that is due to being given the opportunity or if he is in fact better...

It is close. I like Kemp better. He played with more flair, or at least with the flair/attitude that I like.
Good analysis

I agree

I'll take Kemp for his length

Crystallas
02-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Flair is a good way to distinguish the two. I would take Kemp as well. Blake has turned into yet another cry-to-the-refs player on nearly every drive. Still a great player and fun to watch, but very annoying at the same time.

Im Still Ballin
02-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Length really shows too with the block numbers

Not sure who'd be the better 1st option, but Kemp would be a better 2nd/3rd option IMO

Blake can initiate offense a lot better, but does this mean he's a better 1st option? I don't know. They both play the game the right way off the point guard. Blake is more versatile in this sense with his ball handling and passing, but Kemp is a low usage offensive player and has a clear advantage on defense

Wiltside
02-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Prime Kemp. However, I think Blake will have a longer more successful career based on how badly Kemp fell off in the last 1/3 of his career.

dubeta
02-03-2016, 10:23 AM
The guy that didn't have T. rex arms

LAKingKobe
02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Lol you guys are dumb. Don't even like the clippers but Blake is twice the player kemp was. Better offensive player by being able to play inside and outside. Kemp was not versatile to that level. Blake is more athletic, better rebounder, one of the best passing forwards and he has better stats to prove all of this.

feyki
02-03-2016, 11:55 AM
If i need defence and hustle ? Answer is Kemp .

If i need offensive option or creative offensive star ? Answer is Blake .

Marchesk
02-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Blake is more athletic,.

No he's not. And Kemp was a better defensive player.

ClipperRevival
02-03-2016, 12:05 PM
As bad as BG looks right now, I think he's just the better player. Better dribbler, passer, playmaker, post game and ability to create his own shot. BG is one of the better passing 4's to have ever played the game. Also, he's still only 26 and hasn't entered his prime yet. I don't think Kemp ever peaked as high as BG did in last year's playoffs when he did a little bit of everything.

Chadwin
02-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Blake's post game is not that great. Deandre is beating him this year at .89 PPP in the post versus Blake's .86.

ClipperRevival
02-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Blake's post game is not that great. Deandre is beating him this year at .89 PPP in the post versus Blake's .86.

That's not a good stat to use since DJ is nothing but a dunker and leads the league in FG%. But Blake has settled way too much for the jumper this year. Defenses want him to take that shot, even if he's making them. He's more dangerous when he attacks off the dribble or works down low. His post game is very solid, not Hakeem like but once he has good position down low, he is pretty darn good at getting a bucket. He continues to improve his overall game whether that's his post game, shooting, dribbling, feel for the game or passing.

Chadwin
02-03-2016, 12:30 PM
That's not a good stat to use since DJ is nothing but a dunker and leads the league in FG%. But Blake has settled way too much for the jumper this year. Defenses want him to take that shot, even if he's making them. He's more dangerous when he attacks off the dribble or works down low. His post game is very solid, not Hakeem like but once he has good position down low, he is pretty darn good at getting a bucket. He continues to improve his overall game whether that's his post game, shooting, dribbling, feel for the game or passing.

"When an offensive player receives the ball with their back to the basket and is less than 15' from the rim when the possession-ending event occurs."

DJ can't pad this number with his rolls to the basket, which is a different play type.

ClipperRevival
02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
"When an offensive player receives the ball with their back to the basket and is less than 15' from the rim when the possession-ending event occurs."

DJ can't pad this number with his rolls to the basket, which is a different play type.

What's your point? DJ is nothing but a P&R big, dunker and put back guy. He has no post game while Blake has one of the best in the game right now. Like I said, he has settled a lot for the jumper this year, which results in a lower PPP.

Rake2204
02-03-2016, 12:42 PM
If it was a matter of personal fun and enjoyment, I think I'd select Kemp because I liked his flair, emotion, and power.

But as a matter of player vs. player, I think I'd have a difficult time justifying Kemp over Griffin. I remember Kemp running the floor well, dunking hard, cleaning the glass, and eventually developing a funky little mid-range jumper. But I just don't know if he was as versatile and flatly skilled as Griffin.

senelcoolidge
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
easily Blake. You can run your offense through him. He's a great passer for a big man. When he puts the effort he's a decent man to man defender, just not a rim protector. He hustles and makes things happen. Kemp was an exciting player but big time underachiever.

TrueBlue89
02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Blake Griffin easily and it's not close. Kemp is one of the most overrated players of all time.

MEB2kDeez
02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
If I wanted one to be my franchise player I'd go with Blake

ClipperRevival
02-03-2016, 02:20 PM
On a team where BG was allowed to be "the man" and play point-forward and really dominate the ball, I can see him putting up something like 28 PPG, 8 RPG, 8 APG and being an impactful player, not just putting up those numbers that are empty. This is the type of stuff Kemp could never do. His skill level simply wasn't on par with BG's.

Fiasco
02-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Blake.

dazzer87
02-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Replace Blake with Kemp and Clippers wouldve make it to the nba finals.

HoopologyPhD
02-03-2016, 06:00 PM
If I needed a partner for an eating contest, Shawn Kemp.

The better basketball player is Blake Griffin.

Genaro
02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't even like Griffin but I think that anyone saying Kemp is being nostalgic.

PsychoBe
02-03-2016, 06:10 PM
On a team where BG was allowed to be "the man" and play point-forward and really dominate the ball, I can see him putting up something like 28 PPG, 8 RPG, 8 APG and being an impactful player, not just putting up those numbers that are empty. This is the type of stuff Kemp could never do. His skill level simply wasn't on par with BG's.

idk where this is coming from but kemp could literally do anything and everything blake can do, maybe even better, and that's just offensively.

defensively kemp was great. he had great length and size and could alter/bother shots. he did have a problem with prime barkley though, but anyone would.

you can't seriously name me something blake can do much better than kemp, you just can't without looking either dishonest or ignorant of kemp's abilities. when kemp was out of shape he was hitting mid-range shots all day as if it was easy money, and he was still a good shooter even in his prime as well.

VIP2000
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
idk where this is coming from but kemp could literally do anything and everything blake can do, maybe even better, and that's just offensively.

defensively kemp was great. he had great length and size and could alter/bother shots. he did have a problem with prime barkley though, but anyone would.

you can't seriously name me something blake can do much better than kemp, you just can't without looking either dishonest or ignorant of kemp's abilities. when kemp was out of shape he was hitting mid-range shots all day as if it was easy money, and he was still a good shooter even in his prime as well.

I would give the slight edge to Kemp when it comes to man defense, but he was no defensive stopper. Furthermore, Kemp was in constant foul trouble his entire career, as evidenced by the fact that he nearly averaged 4 fouls per game for his entire career.

bdreason
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Griffin.

G-train
02-03-2016, 06:51 PM
neither.

pastis
02-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Replace Blake with Kemp and Clippers wouldve make it to the nba finals.

and why? in quite every aspect of basketball, griffin seems to be the better basketball player.

Captvic
02-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Let's be serious, Blake is way better than Kemp.

JohnMax
02-03-2016, 07:00 PM
easily its Kemp, he is an anchor on defense and gives you 20ppg

Blake is a very athletic Boozer... his numbers offensively and defensive impact is similar to Boozer..... basically PFs who have little impact defensively and can be neutralize by this fact.... Blake scores 30 points but he lets his man score 20 points on high FG%.

smoovegittar
02-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Gimme the Rain Man. Ya'll either forget or haven't been around that long.

Blake can't defend and shows too much immaturity.

Meticode
02-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Kemp, he played in a harder era of NBA basketball. He didn't settle in his prime, he attacked you.

Optimus Prime
02-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Trick question? :coleman:

Kemp and it's not even close. Prime Kemp was a beast, and despite being a drug addict and having like 20 kids, he at least never punched a team employee in the face, followed him outside, and punched him again.

Oh, and he's actually played in a Finals.

:kobe:

CAstill
02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
It's Kemp and it's not close. seriously why are half these people even commenting when they clearly have never watched a kemp game? Prime Kemp was the best player in the league, let alone better than Blake.

Chadwin
02-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Where is this BG dribbling skills myth coming from?

If putting your head down and charging right into your defender is skill, sure.

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Griffin is actually more skilled but Kemp was an animal; he had that "it" factor that you cant teach. If Chris Webber or Derrick Coleman had Kemp's mentality they each could have been the greatest 4's of all time.

feyki
02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
and why? in quite every aspect of basketball, griffin seems to be the better basketball player.

Defence .

MMM
02-04-2016, 11:06 AM
What's your point? DJ is nothing but a P&R big, dunker and put back guy. He has no post game while Blake has one of the best in the game right now. Like I said, he has settled a lot for the jumper this year, which results in a lower PPP.

he has no post game but he is fairing better per post possession than Griffin

Chadwin
02-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Prime Kemp turned the ball over and scored less, but Blake is worse defensively and a worse rebounder. Kemp has the better FG% and FT%. If prime Kemp had Blake's usage numbers and minutes, he would have outscored him. Blake never shot 56% from the field even when all he did was dunk.

VIP2000
02-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Prime Kemp turned the ball over and scored less, but Blake is worse defensively and a worse rebounder. Kemp has the better FG% and FT%. If prime Kemp had Blake's usage numbers and minutes, he would have outscored him. Blake never shot 56% from the field even when all he did was dunk.

Kemp wouldn't have Blake's usage numbers and minutes because the guy was always in foul trouble. In some of his prime years, he averaged more than 4 fouls per game.

Kemp was great at running the floor and a good rebounder. But he was undisciplined on defense, albeit he was an effective defender when his head was on straight.