PDA

View Full Version : NFL won

Draz
02-03-2016, 04:08 PM
NFL won’t pay man who has most of Super Bowl I on tape
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 2, 2016, 9:26 AM EST

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes. But one man owns what is believed to be the closest thing to a full recording, tapes his late father made of most of the game, minus commercials, some plays that came right after commercial breaks, halftime and some of the third quarter.

That man, Troy Haupt, asked the NFL for $1 million for his dad’s old tapes. The NFL replied that it would give him $30,000. When Haupt spurned that offer, the NFL stopped talking to Haupt entirely, other than to warn him that if he sells the tapes to a third party, he’ll be violating the league’s copyright and the NFL will go after him.

So now, as reported by the New York Times, Haupt is stuck with tapes that have a lot of value in theory, but none in practice: When you own something that can only be legally sold to one company, and that company is refusing to buy it, you don’t have any good options.

Haupt thought he found a good option when he and CBS agreed to a deal that would see Haupt getting $25,000 and CBS getting a portion of the tape to show during its Super Bowl 50 programming. Unfortunately for Haupt, that deal didn’t come to fruition, apparently because the NFL reminded CBS that it needs the NFL’s permission to re-air any portion of Super Bowl I — and the NFL isn’t granting that permission to anyone who buys Haupt’s tape.

“It’s awesome to have the tapes, but it’s frustrating that we can’t do anything with them,” Haupt told the New York Times. “It’s like you’ve won the golden ticket but you can’t get into the chocolate factory.”

NFL Network recently cobbled together its own version of Super Bowl I, which included every play of the game but not all of the broadcast, and not much of the pageantry that surrounds the game. If the NFL ever buys Haupt’s tapes, it could use that footage to put together a better re-broadcast of the first Super Bowl.

But it appears that the NFL has little interest in such a deal, and so we’re not going to see any more of Super Bowl I than we’ve already seen. At least until either the NFL or Haupt blinks.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/02/nfl-wont-pay-man-who-has-most-of-super-bowl-i-on-tape/

imdaman99
02-03-2016, 04:11 PM
What's a million to the NFL :rolleyes:

$30,000? :facepalm

Draz
02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
What's a million to the NFL :rolleyes:

$30,000? :facepalm
Hopefully these idiots pay the dam man. Shit is worth far more than that.

UK2K
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
He can sell the tapes to a collector.

You don't need the NFLs permission to record and sell footage if it's not for the purpose of viewing it.

That's his only option.

Akrazotile
02-03-2016, 04:20 PM

You don't need the NFLs permission to record and sell footage if it's not for the purpose of viewing it.

That's his only option.

Yep.

And considering the price rich dudes have payed to get a piece of stitching from a historic baseball or the jock strap some olympian wore when he broke a record, I would imagine some wealthy sports fan would pay this man handsomely for the only broadcast of Super Bowl I in existence. I imagine he'll get more than the one million he originally asked the NFL for.

imdaman99
02-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Just imagine if we were born in these times...where a baseball card could be worth a million in the future (Honus Wagner I think) or a recording of something historic would be worth tons. I suppose we wouldn't live to see the wealth, but maybe pass it down to my great grandkids and it would help them be rich. I wasted so much money on baseball/basketball cards when I was a kid. It was way after MJs rookie years. I think I have some Kobe rookie cards...but they will never get that high in value because so many were made.

highwhey
02-03-2016, 04:34 PM

That's his only option.
He was going to sell it to CBS for 2 tickets to the SB and 25k but the nfl stepped in and killed the deal (they are refuting that claim)

Looks like the NFL will c0ckblock any potential buyer

Sarcastic
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
I wonder how much Pawn Stars would buy it for?

9erempiree
02-03-2016, 04:42 PM
:facepalm

Bros...the man wanted 1 million dollars.

That is absurd.

9erempiree
02-03-2016, 04:46 PM
It is quite funny that people on here would believe the man should get 1 million for that tape.

That is not the value of the footage. It was what he demanded.

Value is what people are going to pay for it.

UK2K
02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
He was going to sell it to CBS for 2 tickets to the SB and 25k but the nfl stepped in and killed the deal (they are refuting that claim)

Looks like the NFL will c0ckblock any potential buyer
CBS was gonna show footage on tv.

A private collector wouldn't.

That's the difference.

Sarcastic
02-03-2016, 05:33 PM
It is quite funny that people on here would believe the man should get 1 million for that tape.

That is not the value of the footage. It was what he demanded.

Value is what people are going to pay for it.

It would be worth $50+ million if the NFL didn't prohibit the buyer from airing it. The NFL has a monopsony, as the only real buyer.

UK2K
02-03-2016, 05:46 PM
It would be worth $50+ million if the NFL didn't prohibit the buyer from airing it. The NFL has a monopsony, as the only real buyer.

Now that the story is out, some sports collector will pay him his million just to say they have it.

Best thing that could have ever happened to this guy (other than the NFL agreeing to buy it for a million) is for the NFL to say no so that a story could be run on it.

Akrazotile
02-03-2016, 06:21 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if someone like Mark Cuban bought it, figuring he could work something out with the NFL to air it in a way they both make a ton of money off it. And if the NFL isnt interested, the purchase was nothing to him anyway and hes got a cool ass keepsake.

Hell, he could lure potential free agents to the team with a promise to let them watch it :lol

Godzuki
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM
i'm sure some billionaire will contact him about buying it and pay that 1 mill easy. its easily a one of a kind collectors item for the #1 sport in America. that idiot should be asking for 5-10 mill to start especially if its a lot of the game.

i bet that shit looks like a HS football game :lol

highwhey
02-03-2016, 06:40 PM
i'm sure some billionaire will contact him about buying it and pay that 1 mill easy. its easily a one of a kind collectors item for the #1 sport in America. that idiot should be asking for 5-10 mill to start especially if its a lot of the game.

i bet that shit looks like a HS football game :lol
You ever play football?

Draz
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
What that idiot should do, is give the NFL a time frame. By that date, every week thereafter, the price significantly raises by another $1mil. That, or say if the video isn't purchased by the date specified, increase it to $5-10mill and LIVE with the thought if no one bites the bullet until he dies, he could of lived without the $36k.

Godzuki
02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
You ever play football?

go stuff a taco up ure ass gringo :coleman:

highwhey
02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
go stuff a taco up ure ass gringo :coleman:
Gringo refers to a white person. I'm Mexican.

Draz
02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Yall don't hustle like me fam

NumberSix
02-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Lol. The NFL is so stupid. It's true that they aren't obligated to buy this, but low balling this dude and threatening legal action is such a dumb PR move for what is a few pennies to them.

If this dude was smart, he'd try to sell it directly to one of the teams.

CavaliersFTW
02-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Wow. Corporate scum. Pay the man that shit is a national treasure he knows it and everyone else knows it. 30,000, that's money their higher ups wipe their ass with. :no:

CavaliersFTW
02-03-2016, 07:03 PM
But the nfl already has tape of the whole game.

Why pay for something they already have especially when it's missing chunks?

Not to defend the nfl, they are obviously evil, but it makes no sense to buy it
^this folks, is a poster who has not read the OP :roll:

They don't have the game :hammerhead:

BasedTom
02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
I wonder how much Pawn Stars would buy it for?
20 bucks and a bed bath and beyond giftcard, knowing them

Draz
02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
The NFL owners are far richer than NBA owners and are far cheaper.

NumberSix
02-03-2016, 08:05 PM
The NFL owners are far richer than NBA owners and are far cheaper.
I would doubt that any NFL owner has the kind of money Steve Balmer has except maybe Paul Allen who is also an NBA owner.

Draz
02-03-2016, 08:13 PM
I would doubt that any NFL owner has the kind of money Steve Balmer has except maybe Paul Allen who is also an NBA owner.

1. Paul Allen - Seattle Seahawks

$15.8B
2. Stan Kroenke - St. Louis Rams

$5.3B
3. Stephen Ross - Miami Dolphins

$4.8B
4. Terrance Pegula - Buffalo Bills

$4.6B
5. Glazer Family - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

$4.5B
6. Shahid Khan - Jacksonville Jaguars

$3.8B
7. Robert "Woody" Johnson - New York Jets

$3.5B
8. Jerry Jones - Dallas Cowboys

$3B
9. Robert Kraft - New England Patriots

$2.9B
10. Joan Tisch - New York Giants

$2.9B (The Tisch family splits ownership with the Mara family, who are worth approx. $500 million)
11. Stephen Bisciotti - Baltimore Ravens

$2.1B
12. Bob McNair - Houston Texans

$2B
13. Arthur Blank - Atlanta Falcons

$1.7B
14. Jim Irsay - Indianapolis Colts

$1.6B
15. Jimmy Haslam - Cleveland Browns

$1.5B
16. Ford Family - Detroit Lions

$1.4B
17. Tom Benson - New Orleans Saints

$1.3B
18. Zygi Wilf - Minnesota Vikings

$1.3B
19. Virginia Halas McCaskey - Chicago Bears

$1.2B
20. Jeffrey Lurie - Philadelphia Eagles

$1.2B
21. Daniel Snyder - Washington Redskins

$1.2B
22. Jed York - San Francisco 49ers

$1.2B ($1.1B through his mother, Denise DiBartolo York)
23. Jerry Richardson - Carolina Panthers

$1.1B
24. Estate of Bud Adams - Tennessee Titans

$1.1B (Adams passed away in October 2013)
25. Pat Bowlen - Denver Broncos

$1B
26. Alex Spanos - San Diego Chargers

$1B
27. Mike Brown - Cincinnati Bengals

$925M
28. Dan Rooney - Pittsburgh Steelers

$500M
29. Carol & Mark Davis - Oakland Raiders

$500M
Unknown/Other:

Clark Hunt - Kansas City Chiefs

Source: http://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/How-Much-Is-Each-NFL-Owner-Worth-19465

10. Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks – Net worth: $2.7 billion

9. Tom Gores, Detroit Pistons – Net worth: $3 billion

8. Charles Dolan & Family, New York Knicks – Net worth: $4.1 billion

7. Daniel Gilbert, Cleveland Cavaliers – Net worth: $ 4.4 billion

6. Stanley Kroenke, Denver Nuggets – Net worth: $5.8 billion

5. Richard DeVos, Orlando Magic – Net worth: $ 6.4 billion

4. Micky Arison, Miami Heat – Net worth: $7.1 billion

3. Mikhail Prokhorov, Brooklyn Nets – Net worth: $ 9.2 billion

2. Paul Allen, Portland Trail Blazers – Net worth: $17.1 billion

1. Steve Ballmer, L.A. Clippers – Net worth: $22.4 billion

Source: http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-richest-nba-owners/?view=all

God DAM

Akrazotile
02-03-2016, 08:48 PM
They have all the footage just not the tv broadcast

Couple dudes calling a game is not worth 30k

I think it is, if they aired it they could make plenty more than that in ad revenue. Not to mention just to have that piece of history and be able to see how the original Superbowl was broadcast. Even the NFL itself doesn't have that access right now, the guy with the tape is literally the only one. I would think a lot of people even within the NFL would love to see it.

30k is absolutely nothing for the NFL. It surprises me they don't wanna pay any more, but hey, someone else definitely will.

ArbitraryWater
02-03-2016, 08:53 PM
But the nfl already has tape of the whole game.

Why pay for something they already have especially when it's missing chunks?

Not to defend the nfl, they are obviously evil, but it makes no sense to buy it

but they dont.. lol

Wiltside
02-03-2016, 09:02 PM
$30,000 is such a low ball offer from a rich corporation that should want to have access to this piece of history.

KNOW1EDGE
02-04-2016, 04:16 AM
:facepalm

Bros...the man wanted 1 million dollars.

That is absurd.

Bro, I'm with you. You right, that sh1t is worth way more than a million dollars. And what's a milli to Goodell and "the shield" lmfao

Pushxx
02-04-2016, 04:41 AM
Well we all know the NFL doesn't care about shitty PR moves at this point.

Giaodollo
02-04-2016, 04:50 AM
Source: http://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/How-Much-Is-Each-NFL-Owner-Worth-19465

Source: http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-richest-nba-owners/?view=all

God DAM

Take that NFL! Our Paul Allen is richer than yours.

aj1987
02-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Take that NFL! Our Paul Allen is richer than yours.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Wally450
02-04-2016, 11:50 AM
16 Billion, cot dam.

FillJackson
02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
here's some guys calling the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UckVgXhQKQo

Just2McFly
02-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Put up a piece of Art in soetherby's dawg... get your paper. F*ck the b*tch ass NFL.

They are so idiotic, the market value of that is so insane and they are trying to give him 30k, he could make that as a manager at Mcdonalds...come on son.

SCREWstonRockets
02-04-2016, 02:01 PM
NFL Network already did a Super Bowl 1 Special where they spliced up all the clips they had with audio and pretty much replayed the entire game. It wasn't the network broadcast but it was good enough.

enayes
02-04-2016, 02:34 PM
NFL Network already did a Super Bowl 1 Special where they spliced up all the clips they had with audio and pretty much replayed the entire game. It wasn't the network broadcast but it was good enough.

If this is out there already I don't see how an old video clip could be worth over $1 million. If there was ZERO footage of the game than I can see the guy asking for $1 million.

Done_And_Done
02-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Dude oughta sleep with one eye open, when dealing with these scumbuckets.

30k was their, "I hope this dude is obtuse and takes it offer"

If you're sitting on a gem that a corporate machine like the NFL is hankering for, you don't part ways for a dollar amount that isn't going to dramatically improve your current living conditions.

Draz
02-04-2016, 02:47 PM
If this is out there already I don't see how an old video clip could be worth over $1 million. If there was ZERO footage of the game than I can see the guy asking for $1 million.
The more footage the better. The games foundation on what it is today started with what it once was. It's an icon. It has nothing to do with footage already that they can replay after they've sliced it up good enough to look presentable. The more the marry. If NBA had better footage of iconic players alone would be worth adding. There's only so much left and as time ages if it isn't depleted it's kept in someone's collection until forgotten.

It goes far beyond what money they can make from it. It's a piece of history. Where the NFL is at today, the progress they've made to make this one of the best sports known on the planet.

enayes
02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
how long has it been known that this guy has the tape?

if it's been a long time and the NFL hasn't paid I don't see them changing their mind.