PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Celtics?

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 10:50 AM
29-22 tied for the 3rd seed in the east.

I really cant figure this team out. :confusedshrug:

kwajo
02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
I love their coaching, but their roster has a few holes that keep them from taking it to the next level of consistency. Given their youth and stockpile of picks + cap space though, they are in great shape going forward.

Rolando
02-04-2016, 10:56 AM
So strange watching them....No Stars!

Obviously the coach Stevens is one of the best in the league. I like the way he plays pretty much everybody. The second team is as good as the first team. Everyone defends like an animal.

Anyway, they are good and actually improving. By the end of the year, they could have 3 seed even.

kurple
02-04-2016, 11:08 AM
better than the Cavs if they manage to make a move for Gallo

CelticBaller
02-04-2016, 11:09 AM
no stars, could only get so far in the playoffs

Legends66NBA7
02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Well, it was a given. Once they figured it out, they were at the worst a Top 4 seed.

Their division is easy with no real threats to them outside New York, but they struggle to beat teams above .500.

DMV2
02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Jae, IT, Bradley are the only 3 guys that has a regular spot on the team. Rightfully, so they're the best 3.

What the hell is going on with that PF-C rotation though? Sully, KO, Amir and now Zeller might be in the mix.

CelticBaller
02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Well, it was a given. Once they figured it out, they were at the worst a Top 4 seed.

Their division is easy with no real threats to them outside New York, but they struggle to beat teams above .500.
Toronto?

keep-itreal
02-04-2016, 11:12 AM
They just need a superstar and that team is set

Legends66NBA7
02-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Toronto?

They are heavily overachieving right now. I expect them to come down to earth after the break like last season.

DMV2
02-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Legends....you still grieving over Toronto's losses last couple of playoffs?

time to get over it and be more optimistic, homey. :lol

MMM
02-04-2016, 11:30 AM
People underestimate how good they are defensively and their depth means they can play with effort consistently. An example being how good they are in back to backs (I believe they are top 4 in the association), 16-3 going over the last year with most those games being on the road.

Their young talent also gets over looked especially KO and Smart. Not that they are sexy but they do being a lot of positives to the table. However, just wish they were more consistent but both are playing well especially over the latest stretch.

MMM
02-04-2016, 11:35 AM
They are heavily overachieving right now. I expect them to come down to earth after the break like last season.

Raps are legit
they have 2 all stars in their prime

the difference this year is they are both healthy on top of their natural progression of getting better.

Wally450
02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
They play with tons of effort and are very good statistically on the defensive end. That being said, they're a good regular season team. We saw what they did after the All Start break last year and so far this season.

Come playoff team I don't really expect them to make much noise. That's the period where you need a legit leader on the team which the C's don't have yet. (Although IT does continue to impress me night in and night out.)

Hopefully the draft works out in our favor. We have a great coach and a good group of guys heading into the future. I expect us to be vying for Eastern Conference supremacy in the next 3-4 years especially once LeBron seriously begins to decline and the East becomes more open.

Haymaker
02-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Westbrook and Durant to the C's. :applause:

MMM
02-04-2016, 11:45 AM
They play with tons of effort and are very good statistically on the defensive end. That being said, they're a good regular season team. We saw what they did after the All Start break last year and so far this season.

Come playoff team I don't really expect them to make much noise. That's the period where you need a legit leader on the team which the C's don't have yet. (Although IT does continue to impress me night in and night out.)

Hopefully the draft works out in our favor. We have a great coach and a good group of guys heading into the future. I expect us to be vying for Eastern Conference supremacy in the next 3-4 years especially once LeBron seriously begins to decline and the East becomes more open.

match ups will play a factor but im hoping they can win a round. Also think they'll make a move or two at the deadline clearing some of their asset logjam which could solidify their chances in the playoffs.

Done_And_Done
02-04-2016, 12:02 PM
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts...

While they lack individual greatness, the Celts are composed of a roster that routinely exudes grit and voracious effort. They play hard-nosed defence, led by one of the brightest young minds in the game right now. Guys like Amir, Jae, Bradley etc - Seem to be more concerned with the team product as opposed to their own output.

Like some in the thread stated, I feel like they'll hit a wall come the playoffs though. With that said, Ainge has alot to work with going forward here. They should be competitive for years to come.

PP34Deuce
02-04-2016, 12:25 PM
The Celtics are like how the nuggets used to be.

Bunch of above average NBA players but no all star or star caliber player. stevens is a great coach and they play hard but they lack a go to guy and consistency in the front court.

Ainge seems like he will make a splash for a legit star because that's what they need.

Wiltside
02-04-2016, 12:26 PM
I knew they are playing fine, but didn't realize they are in 3rd.

Mawly-G
02-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Been saying that the Celtics are 1 to 2 star players away from being legit playoff threats. They have a solid young core and a great coach, but they are only going to get so far riding the tiny shoulders of Isaiah Thomas.

pastis
02-04-2016, 12:42 PM
tehy could make it to the 2nd round. but i guess here its over.
They are a great team, can play defence and offense and have great energy coming of the bench as well.

but imo they need one franchise-like player until making some big noise (in the east).

sammichoffate
02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
They have SO many picks, jesus.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Westbrook and Durant to the C's. :applause:
would be amazing

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 01:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK84l4iUMAAzTSP.jpg

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
If u just look at their players they shouldnt be anywhere near as good as they are in terms of talent.

They have the best coach in the league tho thats absolutely maxing everyones talent on both ends

MMM
02-04-2016, 01:07 PM

roster spots are tied up so they have some interesting decisions to make on how many picks they want to keep. Outside of the nets pick and mem pick in 2019 the Celtics should look to pair the rest in a series of moves to upgrade their roster over the next few years

Derka
02-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Good defensively. Need a rim protector but we can get after the boards when we choose to. A little too in love with the 3-Ball on offense. Definitely don't have The Guy right now...but we do have a few guys who desperately want to be The Guy.

Very well-coached. These guys have bought in, mind and body, to what Danny and Brad are selling. I don't expect Ainge to make a move at the deadline for anyone who isn't willing to do the same regardless of how much star-power that player may have. You're buying in whether you like it or not.

The only possible issues right now: there are rumblings that Avery Bradley is unhappy with the extension he signed ($17 million left on it) now that the new cap figures are coming into focus. Thankfully, the David Lee thing is going away quietly and amiably.

Conclusion: we're a good team. We're not good enough to knock Cleveland or Toronto off of the top in the East as presently constituted.

Dresta
02-04-2016, 01:09 PM
They've been great, but there's only a half game between seeds 3-6, so still hard to tell where they'll end up. Regardless, it will have been a good season for them.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Good defensively. Need a rim protector but we can get after the boards when we choose to. A little too in love with the 3-Ball on offense. Definitely don't have The Guy right now...but we do have a few guys who desperately want to be The Guy.

Very well-coached. These guys have bought in, mind and body, to what Danny and Brad are selling. I don't expect Ainge to make a move at the deadline for anyone who isn't willing to do the same regardless of how much star-power that player may have. You're buying in whether you like it or not.

The only possible issues right now: there are rumblings that Avery Bradley is unhappy with the extension he signed ($17 million left on it) now that the new cap figures are coming into focus. Thankfully, the David Lee thing is going away quietly and amiably.
They need to get rid of Lee and Turner ASAP

PP34Deuce
02-04-2016, 01:11 PM

It's crazy but I never thought Avery would be a good NBA scorer. The guy has a 3 ball, can penetrate and his handle has gotten better. When he came in he was just our guy that we put on the Wade's of the world.

AnaheimLakers24
02-04-2016, 01:11 PM
East is ****en garbage

MMM
02-04-2016, 01:15 PM
If u just look at their players they shouldnt be anywhere near as good as they are in terms of talent.

They have the best coach in the league tho thats absolutely maxing everyones talent on both ends

i think that has more to do with people not evaluating defense when they determine how talented a team is but in the Celtics situation people are forgetting that they are duplicating what made them successful last season. It really should not be a surprise because last season they finished 27-16 (50 win rate over a full season)

MMM
02-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Turner will be gone after this season but he has been solid at times. Playing well lately and does take pressure of IT in closing games out. He is far from ideal but for a team that is lacking a closer he's steady and does help solidify the bench during 2nd and 4th quarter stretches.

Levity
02-04-2016, 01:19 PM
do you celts fans like the rumors of being interested in trading for dwight, regardless of the potential rental? and if so, what would you think needs to be given up in order to get him

MMM
02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
East is ****en garbage

top of the west is better but the mid and bottom East look much better than prior seasons

SwishSquared
02-04-2016, 01:22 PM
better than the Cavs if they manage to make a move for GalloAre you open to moving him at the deadline? I think Toronto or Boston could be really interesting landing spots if those teams decide to play with only 1 big man more frequently.

What's the minimum you want for him at the deadline?

Derka
02-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I don't know that we can flip Lee for anything. Teams may like his big expiring deal but...I'm not sure who is willing to give us youth for him. He's a good candidate to package with some of the picks we have but not for anything game-changing.

Turner has been one of the most even-keeled 4th quarter performers we have so far this year. I love that he pushes into the key and tries to get to the spots where he hits from; reminds me of how Pierce used to get his way to the foul line extended all the time and just kill you that way.

Derka
02-04-2016, 01:25 PM
do you celts fans like the rumors of being interested in trading for dwight, regardless of the potential rental? and if so, what would you think needs to be given up in order to get him
Houston would want entirely too much for him. Danny's not a guy who wants to lose in trades anymore after the risk he took on Jeff Green.

kshutts1
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
This seems like a good topic in which to post this thought, and see what others think...

Is it easier to coach a team with no real stars (like Boston)?

Thought process behind it... stars are more likely to have an ego, and a belief that they are great, and thus should be able to do things their way. Lesser players, the role player or the good-but-not-star player, may more understand that they need to do the little things to stay on the team; they know they are more replaceable.

Also, it's not at all uncommon to see teams with little star power "overachieve", while it's also common to see stars with "too much" star power "underachieve".

Thoughts?

Rolando
02-04-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't think they should be getting rid of Turner. He and IT are the only ones who can get to the rim whenever necessary. He's versatile as hell and can play point if need be. Turner has been alright.

Derka
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Think you're totally on the right track with that, kshutts.

A lot of it comes down to the individual, too. Larry and Magic had the most star power two individual players could have at the heights of their career but both were indisputably team-oriented guys. Guys like Duncan and Garnett were in that vein.

Today's AAU-minded "You Are The Greatest Thing Ever" crop of players is learning to embrace that mindset the hard way. I'm wondering if we'll see it with this Golden State team...just how committed are those guys to prolonged success? Or are they more interested in winning now while they can and chasing that paper once they've got their rings?

Haymaker
02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK84l4iUMAAzTSP.jpg

Damn, they raped Memphis even worse than Brooklyn.

MMM
02-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Damn, they raped Memphis even worse than Brooklyn.

im expecting their pick in 2019 and it could be a darko like situation. hopefully we don't wast that type of opportunity like Det did

SwishSquared
02-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I don't know that we can flip Lee for anything. Teams may like his big expiring deal but...I'm not sure who is willing to give us youth for him. He's a good candidate to package with some of the picks we have but not for anything game-changing.

Turner has been one of the most even-keeled 4th quarter performers we have so far this year. I love that he pushes into the key and tries to get to the spots where he hits from; reminds me of how Pierce used to get his way to the foul line extended all the time and just kill you that way.Portland should trade like $50K for him just so they meet the salary floor, which will ultimately save them money. Cut him and let him join whichever team he wants. Watch Doc try to sign him haha

TemporaMutantur
02-04-2016, 02:35 PM
It's crazy but I never thought Avery would be a good NBA scorer. The guy has a 3 ball, can penetrate and his handle has gotten better. When he came in he was just our guy that we put on the Wade's of the world.

He rounded out into a pretty decent two-way player.

He was always in that elite SG defender conversation along with Shumpert, etc.

Glad they both made offensive strides.

StephHamann
02-04-2016, 02:44 PM
29-22 tied for the 3rd seed in the east.

I really cant figure this team out. :confusedshrug:

Who is the go to guy in the clutch?

A 5 ft midget shooting 40%FG

fools gold

If they somehow land Durant they will win it all. The team/coach is great but they don't have a closer.

Duderonomy
02-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Not a contender as of now but it would be interesting if they traded Lee and some 2nd rounders for Howard.

Real Men Wear Green
02-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Not a contender as of now but it would be interesting if they traded Lee and some 2nd rounders for Howard.
I'm not big on Howard but his value has to be higher than that.

PP34Deuce
02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Might be crazy, but I see Danny going after Noel or Embiid.

Embiid has the youth and mystery factor...if he becomes even 75% of what he could be that's a top 10 center in the NBA.

Noel is perfect for todays run and space game. Boston has a bunch of solid high IQ post players but neither have high ceilings. Sullinger and Noel would be a very solid core.

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Yeah if they could get Howard for that little its a no brainer.

Bosnian Sajo
02-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Raps are legit
they have 2 all stars in their prime

the difference this year is they are both healthy on top of their natural progression of getting better.

Every year they are "legit" and every year they fail miserably in the playoffs. Even when they had Lowry, Derozan, Ross all healthy, they still got their asses kicked by Brooklyn. And Carroll is not that big of a difference maker.

Bosnian Sajo
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
im expecting their pick in 2019 and it could be a darko like situation. hopefully we don't wast that type of opportunity like Det did

Yall have that this year with Brooklyn's pick. Must be great to be a Celtics fan rn, all your players are young, you get to watch them in the playoffs this year (very possibly 2nd round team), and you have a top 3 pick in the draft. Mitch, take some lessons, bruh.

Legends66NBA7
02-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Every year they are "legit" and every year they fail miserably in the playoffs. Even when they had Lowry, Derozan, Ross all healthy, they still got their asses kicked by Brooklyn. And Carroll is not that big of a difference maker.

Eh, I agree they are not legit but why are you putting Ross in the same sentence as Lowry and DeRozan ?

I also would not say that they got their asses kicked by Brooklyn. That was a crazy series that literally came down the final shot. They did get their ass kicked by Washington, though, that was just bound to happen with the way they played.

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Yall have that this year with Brooklyn's pick. Must be great to be a Celtics fan rn, all your players are young, you get to watch them in the playoffs this year (very possibly 2nd round team), and you have a top 3 pick in the draft. Mitch, take some lessons, bruh.
Its a good position but they need some luck in the lottery. Historically, this hasn't been the case ('97 and '07 - although the latter led to the KG trade).

Lebron23
02-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Cavs are going to play against them tomorrow.

MMM
02-04-2016, 03:29 PM

losing in 7 in their first playoff showing vs. a vet team wasn't that bad

they were embarrassed last year but lets not ignore that their best player was pretty banged up

This year team has a different feel and will probably benefit from easier match ups in the playoffs

Lebron23
02-04-2016, 03:36 PM
I hope Kelly Olynck won't dislocate Love's shoulders tomorrow. That was a Bush League foul.

And it costs us a chance to win the NBA title last year.

MMM
02-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Cavs are going to play against them tomorrow.

really would like the C's to get a win vs. a quality opponent.
Cavs wont overlook them after overlooking the Hornets

Bosnian Sajo
02-04-2016, 03:43 PM
losing in 7 in their first playoff showing vs. a vet team wasn't that bad

they were embarrassed last year but lets not ignore that their best player was pretty banged up

This year team has a different feel and will probably benefit from easier match ups in the playoffs

It was embarrassing because they thought they were the shit and were locks for the 2nd round, don't you remember the whole "**** Brooklyn" shtick?

Legends66NBA7
02-04-2016, 03:45 PM
It was embarrassing because they thought they were the shit and were locks for the 2nd round, don't you remember the whole "**** Brooklyn" shtick?

That was management. And it was embarrassing in the sense they should have just let the players do the talking.

They pulled the same stunt last playoffs, but it was no as remembered because the team got swept.

Basically the players are not a bunch of talkers. They would rather fly under the radar.

MMM
02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
That was management. And it was embarrassing in the sense they should have just let the players do the talking.

They pulled the same stunt last playoffs, but it was no as remembered because the team got swept.

Basically the players are not a bunch of talkers. They would rather fly under the radar.

true remember Derozan saying he would show them what "it" is

Derka
02-04-2016, 04:16 PM
That would be robbery. Howard has slipped with his injuries, but not that much.

Duderonomy
02-04-2016, 04:20 PM
That would be robbery. Howard has slipped with his injuries, but not that much.
Howard is a UFA and he's not going to resign with the Rockets. Lee, Sully, and some picks would be a nice haul for Rockets moving forward.

MMM
02-04-2016, 04:21 PM
howard would help the rebounding and would provide a rim protector but i'm afraid that he still feels he deserves touches on offense. if he accepts the former than he would be an interesting piece to add along side the Celtics small ball line ups or KO

jbryan1984
02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
I think they are in awesome shape. It was a very short re-build because Ainge is the man and stock piled up on picks. This season or next, I would package some of these young pieces and/or picks together to get a quality star. They have so many guys at every position that can contribute to probably any team in the league. And Brad Stevens, I love his coaching style. I really can't remember the last time I saw such a quick re-build, crazy.

JohnnySic
02-04-2016, 05:42 PM
I think they are in awesome shape. It was a very short re-build because Ainge is the man and stock piled up on picks. This season or next, I would package some of these young pieces and/or picks together to get a quality star. They have so many guys at every position that can contribute to probably any team in the league. And Brad Stevens, I love his coaching style. I really can't remember the last time I saw such a quick re-build, crazy.
Let's not go nuts. They still need to get those 1-2 stars, easier said than done.

bigt
02-04-2016, 08:07 PM
howard would help the rebounding and would provide a rim protector but i'm afraid that he still feels he deserves touches on offense. if he accepts the former than he would be an interesting piece to add along side the Celtics small ball line ups or KO

My concern is not such much the immediate Howard, but the long term one. To retain him you're basically looking at 5 year contract at a lot of money, and I don't think he has that many more years of quality play (he's not old but I think he'll deteriorate quickly). Given the team is probably aiming for top tier in 3-4 years based on picks and player development, he's not a long term title prospect for the team

SwishSquared
02-04-2016, 08:45 PM
howard would help the rebounding and would provide a rim protector but i'm afraid that he still feels he deserves touches on offense. if he accepts the former than he would be an interesting piece to add along side the Celtics small ball line ups or KOIf your team is winning and he feels important, then I don't think he cares. Howard shows up nearly every playoffs. He doesn't need post touches to feel important, but throwing him a lob every now and then keeps him engaged. I still think he has good value as a roll man after a high PnR and if you throw it to him like 7-8 times a game on that play, he'll be happy. I mean LAC gets DJ to produce only doing that and it helps out their offense quite a bit.

RE: His contract, I think 3 years at his max is a fair compromise. Maybe a TO on a 4th year, partially guaranteed. Houston isn't giving him a 5 year deal and I don't see other teams throwing him a full 4 year max.

Black and White
02-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm keen on Howard as long as we don't give up too much, and only if he comes to the C's to focus on defense.

Danny has built a very nice launching pad to be able to be a playoff contender for many years to come, Stevens is by far the most valuable asset we have.

I reckon look to trade the pick if it doesn't end up top 2 for an all-star level player if possible.