PDA

View Full Version : Tipping in America (Restaurants, Taxi, Bars, etc) - For or Against?

Draz
02-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Are you for or against tipping in America? I honestly always hated the idea of tipping. My family and I, and majority of my friends always do tip, and we tip good. But, the logic behind tipping just grosses me out. The fact that companies and employers pay these people so much less, they're practically expecting US to pay/complete THEIR employees check for them.

The fact that there's a minimum of "here's how much you should tip" percentage, is beyond ridiculous. I'm all for people making money and supporting their families, but if you could, would you end tipping?

Are we the only country that does this? :oldlol:

1. Am I legally required to tip anywhere in the U.S.?
No. Service charge is always voluntary, even when it’s added to your bill. But if you deduct gratuity from the check, don’t expect it to go down well.

2. Why should I tip?
Each of the 50 states has a different minimum wage, usually around eight dollars an hour. But under federal law, the minimum wage for tipped employees like bartenders and waitresses is just $2.13 per hour. Your generous tips will help make up for their low pay.

3. How much should I tip in restaurants?
Fifteen to 25 percent of the total bill is normal. In high-end establishments, they hope you’ll leave nearer 25 – and possibly tip the maitre d’ five or ten bucks.

4. Do I need to leave an extra tip if my bill says, “gratuity included”?
No, although this only usually happens if you’re a party of eight or more. Some tourist joints also add on service charge, presumably because they know foreigners are shoddy tippers.

5. Why do waiters always ask, “Do you need change?”
If you pay in cash, your chirpy server will almost always deliver this line as they snatch up your check. You might feel affronted if you put down a fifty for your 15-dollar lunch but, in all likelihood, your waiter isn’t trying to squeeze you for a huge tip. He simply hasn’t registered the amount. That’s why servers tend not to growl or cry if your answer is, “Yes please.”

6. What should I tip in bars?
You’ll want to add a dollar a drink when you’re buying at the bar. Keep the tips flowing and you might well get your fifth or sixth drink free. Joints with table service will expect at least a 10 percent bonus at the end of the night.

7. What about tipping taxi drivers, hairdressers and porters?
If a driver helps with your bags and takes you a good route, 20 percent is reasonable. Likewise, you’ll want to tip your hairdresser 20 percent, and leave a few dollars for the person who washed your hair. Bellhops expect a dollar for every bag delivered, plus a few bucks for helping you in the room.

Source: http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows//blog/2012/08/tipping-in-america-how-to-do-it-and-what-to-expect-if-you-dont

Draz
02-04-2016, 07:04 PM
This will go well
Inb4 just the tip

Nick Young
02-04-2016, 07:05 PM
against. unless i get really good service

Nick Young
02-04-2016, 07:07 PM
In b4 some dude who grew up with a single mom waitress gets on his soap box and tells his emotional sob story.

ISHGoat
02-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Doesnt really matter to me. If anything, I'm slightly for it. Whether tipping is customary in your country or not, the wage cost of the service workers will be passed on to the consumer in one way or another. At least with tipping, I have the option to screw someone over if they screwed me over with bad service. Hot girls make more money. Better service workers get paid slightly more. I'm okay with all of this.

christian1923
02-04-2016, 07:38 PM
I don't tip Uber drivers

Levity
02-04-2016, 07:40 PM
for it.

the end.

kurple
02-04-2016, 07:43 PM
against.
not surprised

outbreak
02-04-2016, 07:52 PM
We don't do tipping here. I'd do it if I went to America but I still don't get the point of how it came to be accepted that a business will under pay it's staff assuming the consumer will make up the difference. Is it just so they can advertise they sell their product cheaper when you end up paying more once a tips added?

For someone not raised in that environment the american style of tipping is a strange custom to have come about. In my first job when I was 14 I'd help people take their shopping to their cars and occasionally they'd offer to tip me for it and we had been flat out told by our bosses if we take tips we are fired as it's against their policy. Some places have tip jars but that's more an anonymous type thing where you can just walk up and put in some cash while leaving and it's split between the bartenders/waiters/apprentice chefs and the like.

Draz
02-04-2016, 07:55 PM
I don't tip Uber drivers
Uber's aren't supposed to get tipped. It was/is their agenda. It's half of why people started using them. $2-3 tip makes a difference.

gigantes
02-04-2016, 07:57 PM
if you don't tip in the USA you're screwing some pretty hard-working people out of their wages.

then again, if you're a repeat customer, i guess you enjoy the tangy taste of bodily fluids in your food. :D

outbreak
02-04-2016, 07:59 PM
if you don't tip in the USA you're screwing some pretty hard-working people out of their wages.

then again, if you're a repeat customer, i guess you enjoy the tangy taste of bodily fluids in your food. :D

you went from australia to usa didn't you? Did you find it a bizarre custom at first?

falc39
02-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Tipping reminds me of those locals in poorer countries where they won't do a fast/good job unless you hand them some extra cash. Anyone ever been in one of those airports? Like they won't let you through even though you have all the documents/passports unless you slip them some cash?

gigantes
02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
you went from australia to usa didn't you? Did you find it a bizarre custom at first?
peru, actually. it's pretty much optional over there.

but i grew up in the states moreso than europe or peru, so i'm used to tipping. the nice thing about the dollar is that you can easily afford to give economical tips which people will still be quite thankful for.

i think in japan it's actually considered rude to tip. then again if you're only visiting then you can probably gaijin-smash your way through most things. :P

Bandito
02-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm against only if those workers get paid by Federal pay.

KyrieTheFuture
02-04-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm for it until they change the law that you can pay waiters trash wages. If they had the same salary as everyone else I wouldn't tip unless it was excellent. But I know that servers don't get paid well, so I tip. I've never tipped a taxi driver I think that's dumb.

ArbitraryWater
02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
we had this before mang.. russwest was the last to bring it up I believe

gigantes
02-04-2016, 10:47 PM
some ppl will always need to be shamed, tho. :P

Cactus-Sack
02-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Here's a tip: Get a better job!

Draz
02-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Cold asf

Stone Cold, cold

Graviton
02-05-2016, 12:28 AM
In US you tip but you also get cheaper food, overseas you don't tip but it is way more expensive, here it ends up being the better deal.

I rather have the option to tip, so if I get shitty service I can leave them 50 cents. :lol

KNOW1EDGE
02-05-2016, 12:38 AM
I'd like to see the federal government raise the minimum wage for waitress and bartenders to the normal minimum wage. And then no one would have to tip and the workers could make an honest living. It could be up to companies to pay their employees rather than customers paying employees salary.

In the meantime I usually tip a couple bucks when I get my hair cut, buy drinks or eat at a sit down restaurant. Only when I get good service though. If the service is poor I won't hesitate to leave no tip at all.

Draz
02-05-2016, 12:45 AM
We'll have a discussion about it every month if I want too aii famo?

keep-itreal
02-05-2016, 12:52 AM
I don't like tipping.

It boggles my mind that a person has to tip extra to get better service when that's what your job is supposed to do anyway.

bigkingsfan
02-05-2016, 01:40 AM
There should be a flat rate across each service. I shouldn't have to tip that much more at a high end restaurant.

ai9
02-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Most people don't seem to know this, but employers are legally required to make up the difference if a wages and tips come out less than minimum wage. If only more people knew, we wouldn't have this dumb ass tipping culture.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.

Hawker
02-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Would rather be given the menu and go up to the bar and order the food/drink and then pay right then and there. That way I can get my food and eat and be gone. Not have to flag down a waiter to give me my check.

Tipping sucks.

DCL
02-05-2016, 07:33 AM
tipping is a cultural thing.

in some countries, nobody expects you to tip. they might even get a little offended if you try to do so (it's like treating them like a beggar or whatever.)

but in the USA, tipping in service industries is what's expected.

rule of thumb at restaurants in the US:

if it's so-so or slightly little below average, tip 10%.

if it's standard or "ok-not bad but nothing special" service, tip 15%.

if it's outstanding, tip 20% or greater.

if it's truly the shittiest service that makes you swear to never return again, you have a right to tip nothing.

these aren't laws -- it's all up to you.

Godzuki
02-05-2016, 01:22 PM
i fukkin hate the principle of tipping. charge me a goddamn fee but don't charge me a delivery fee AND i have to tip the driver :biggums:

and the driver is all offended when u just pay the delivery fee being like "but we dont get that, it goes to the restaurant"....and i'm thinking so you fgts charge me a extra $3 AND i'm supposed to tip your ass another $2 where it costs me another $5 just to get delivery now? :biggums:

and honestly the guilt trip cheesing servers play every time you sit down at a restaurant is annoying as fukk. its one thing to hook me up and be like just give me a good tip, i'm cool with that. its another thing entirely to just give me average service and expect 15-20% on top of a $150~ bill :biggums:

tipping is the dumbest thing ever invented with all kinds of stupid drama it causes that is forced on anyone eating out or for delivery today :coleman:

theballerFKA Ace
02-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Obligatory every time this thread comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKxfeNl4uk

Godzuki =

http://www.horsetrackhooligans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/crazy_eyes.jpg

Derka
02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
If servers weren't paid such an abysmally low wage, I wouldn't feel as obligated.

My brain always wants to tip the chefs who actually made the food. Good service is not an easy job by any stretch and when its done well it deserves to be rewarded, but the reason I'm at the restaurant in question is the food I want to eat. Make me a great portion of shrimp and grits or a good breakfast and I'll tip whatever the hell I've got in my wallet.

Godzuki
02-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Obligatory every time this thread comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKxfeNl4uk

Godzuki =

http://www.horsetrackhooligans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/crazy_eyes.jpg

just make sure my glass stays full of ice bitch :oldlol:

Godzuki
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
If servers weren't paid such an abysmally low wage, I wouldn't feel as obligated.

My brain always wants to tip the chefs who actually made the food. Good service is not an easy job by any stretch and when its done well it deserves to be rewarded, but the reason I'm at the restaurant in question is the food I want to eat. Make me a great portion of shrimp and grits or a good breakfast and I'll tip whatever the hell I've got in my wallet.

a lot of servers make good money. how much do u think someone who takes your order, serves you food should make hourly? keep it mind it does not require a college degree or any secondary education...

furthermore, if they're working at a dead restaurant whose fault is that? :coleman:

this idea servers should make so much is laffable :rolleyes:

KyrieTheFuture
02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
a lot of servers make good money. how much do u think someone who takes your order, serves you food should make hourly? keep it mind it does not require a college degree or any secondary education...

furthermore, if they're working at a dead restaurant whose fault is that? :coleman:

this idea servers should make so much is laffable :rolleyes:
They make their "good" money on tips not wages.

DukeDelonte13
02-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Waiters can make really good money in fine dining.

gigantes
02-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Waiters can make really good money in fine dining.
or just waiters in average-dining restaurants across europe, such as france. it's frequently an honorable and skilled profession over there... and for good reason.

outside of fine-dining in the USA, we might be able to have those values except for a confluence of dumb-ass wage laws and dumb-ass narcissist customers who think they're 'clever' or 'righteous' by stiffing people out of their justly-earned wages.

in the USA the restaurant industry is one of the hardest workplaces of all for everyone from busboy to manager to chef to owner. peoples' bratty-attitudes upon tipping are exactly the kind of thing that favors chain-restaurants dominating the landscape.

Godzuki
02-05-2016, 06:20 PM
or just waiters in average-dining restaurants across europe, such as france. it's frequently an honorable and skilled profession over there... and for good reason.

outside of fine-dining in the USA, we might be able to have those values except for a confluence of dumb-ass wage laws and dumb-ass narcissist customers who think they're 'clever' or 'righteous' by stiffing people out of their justly-earned wages.

in the USA the restaurant industry is one of the hardest workplaces of all for everyone from busboy to manager to chef to owner. peoples' bratty-attitudes upon tipping are exactly the kind of thing that favors chain-restaurants dominating the landscape.

oh please...u dont know what hard work is if u think people who work at a restaurant work the hardest.

most of the blue collar industry works WAY harder than someone in a restaurant.

waiters have it the easiest just taking orders and serving. sure it sux dealing with customers daily but welcome to the service industry.

busboys bust their ass way more than waiters usually. bartenders make like stripper money just serving drinks. cooks and dishwashers work harder than waiters. i wont even get into delivery drivers deserving all of these huge tips for what they do :facepalm

shit is so overblown like teachers not making enough when they get summers off, not to mention every gov holiday and then some working half days of the rest of the work force :coleman:

they might be mainstream political talking points but thats why mainstream are sheep and retarded :coleman:

Le Shaqtus
02-05-2016, 06:36 PM
It's my favourite topic on ISH

eriX
02-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Tipping is stupid when its part of their wage and not reward for good service.

gigantes
02-05-2016, 07:12 PM
oh please...u dont know what hard work is if u think people who work at a restaurant work the hardest.

most of the blue collar industry works WAY harder than someone in a restaurant.

waiters have it the easiest just taking orders and serving. sure it sux dealing with customers daily but welcome to the service industry.

busboys bust their ass way more than waiters usually. bartenders make like stripper money just serving drinks. cooks and dishwashers work harder than waiters. i wont even get into delivery drivers deserving all of these huge tips for what they do :facepalm

shit is so overblown like teachers not making enough when they get summers off, not to mention every gov holiday and then some working half days of the rest of the work force :coleman:

they might be mainstream political talking points but thats why mainstream are sheep and retarded :coleman:
hmm, maybe i stand corrected. i'll have to think about it.

what else do you think we should do to fix america?

tomtucker
02-06-2016, 05:39 AM
restaurant owners should just pay their employees better......not fair to let the customers pay the waiters salary.

Draz
02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I always tip my barber. I'm pro-tip

highwhey
02-06-2016, 06:37 PM
What about tipping a barber, or valet driver?

Lets say the barber cuts your hair better than you expect it, and looks good, wouldnt you agree they deserve a tip?

Or a valet parking your car and returning it in a timely, clean, and respectable manner.
I always tip my barber. Can't go cheap on the man taking care of your hair.

KyrieTheFuture
02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
I tip my barber, but I've gotten my hair cut twice in like 2 years.

highwhey
02-06-2016, 07:33 PM
I tip my barber, but I've gotten my hair cut twice in like 2 years.
Tf

Draz
02-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Tf
Wish I can do that. I only look good with a shape up or haircut.

highwhey
02-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Wish I can do that. I only look good with a shape up or haircut.
Fr. I wont go to public places w/o a cut. I feel exposed. This how females feel without makeup?

Draz
02-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Fr. I wont go to public places w/o a cut. I feel exposed. This how females feel without makeup?
Once that haircut/shapeup/tapeup/hairline expires, you won't find me in any photos or outside fam

highwhey
02-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Once that haircut/shapeup/tapeup/hairline expires, you won't find me in any photos or outside fam
I had to stop with the edge up on the forehead. Sucked because it took awhile to grow back but now i have a natural hairline and it helps keep the cut looking fresher for a bit longer

KyrieTheFuture
02-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Tf
Went from real short (2 on sides, fingers up top) to man bun. So I pretty much just get it trimmed and let it keep growing.

pastis
02-07-2016, 09:22 AM
in germany, tipping is a normal thing.

if im drinking a coke for like 2.20

Draz
02-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Tipped the pizza guy $2 today

Because I'm a nice guy

Hittin_Shots
02-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Tipped my waitress $10.00 on a $18.90 meal.

Money ain't a thang

Why are you extremely poorly trying to bignote yourself?

NBAplayoffs2001
02-08-2016, 01:31 AM
I tip my barber usually $2 (especially one of them at my new barber shop, dude does a fantastic job each time). I tip those guys who pump your gas at some stations $1-$2 (usually $2 if it's freezing cold outside).

I always tip 15% and if it's a little more end, more like 17-19%.

I dine with a lot of cheap friends who only tip like 7% so I often cover the rest of the tip to at least hit 13-15%.

I always tip a reasonable amount.

Hittin_Shots
02-08-2016, 01:46 AM
You need me to Western Union you some money? I don't mind helping out a brother in need, I'm sure it's hard raising a family in your mother's house.

You wanted to show off your new headphones so bad you deleted my post?

Draz
02-08-2016, 02:20 AM
I tip my barber usually $2 (especially one of them at my new barber shop, dude does a fantastic job each time). I tip those guys who pump your gas at some stations $1-$2 (usually $2 if it's freezing cold outside).

I dine with a lot of cheap friends who only tip like 7% so I often cover the rest of the tip to at least hit 13-15%.

Usually tip $2 for my barber too. Last time it was $12 for a haircut, gave him $20 because it was new years.

lilandywiggins
02-08-2016, 02:00 PM
I tip, but would be open to modifications to the social construct.

Godzuki
02-08-2016, 09:28 PM
hmm, maybe i stand corrected. i'll have to think about it.

what else do you think we should do to fix america?

i'm full of criticisms, not solutions :coleman:

Norcaliblunt
02-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Tipping is voluntarism at it's finest, the heart of conservative libertarian philosophy. The whole country's tax policy and system should be run like this.

christian1923
02-08-2016, 11:33 PM

I'm surprised your barber still cuts your hair. 2$ tip is brutal.

Le Shaqtus
02-09-2016, 02:26 AM
i'm full of criticisms, not solutions :coleman:

At least you're honest :lol

NBAplayoffs2001
02-09-2016, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised your barber still cuts your hair. 2$ tip is brutal.

Really? I've been doing it like forever. Cut's $13 and I usually give $15.

NBAplayoffs2001
02-09-2016, 09:55 AM
The only barber I never tipped in my life was at the old barbershop I used to go to. Guy didn't do a great job and it was a busy day so he kind of rushed it. The place has been hiking up the prices of their haircuts nearly every year while I was in college. This made no sense to me since they were a hotspot for haircut for the decade or so of me going there and was often jampacked early afternoon on Saturdays alone. They used to be very high quality but the barbers aren't that friendly and some of them aren't too qualified (people try to ignore them if they can). Got so fed up the place and paid $17 with no tip. I think I went back there once that day cause I felt guilty and gave the guy and gave him a $2 or $3 tip (like 5 minutes after I left).