PDA

View Full Version : Ranking by Tiers

Marchesk
02-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Instead of arguing over exactly who should be ranked in what position, we can go by what grouping players belong to.

Tier 1

MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Russell

This is your Mount Rushmore. Those are your all-time legends. They had the biggest impacts on the game. There is really no debate here, despite the occasional hater.

Tier 2

Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe

These guys are next. Magic is the bridge between the two tiers, with Lebron still having a chance to join Tier 1 by the time his career is done.

Tier 3

Hakeem, Moses, Oscar, Dr. J, West, Mikan

These are the almost top 10 guys, who were top 10 before Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq crowded them out. Hakeem is the bridge here, often being ranked in the top 10.

Tier 4

Pettit, Garnett, K. Malone, Barkley, Baylor, Hondo, Wade, Barry

Those kind of players would make up 4, with a lot of argument over who should be another tier down and who belongs in 4. Some might mention other players such as Isaiah, Cousy or Pippen.

dubeta
02-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Rank them by PER

Marchesk
02-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Rank them by PER

David Robinson and Chris Paul are top 10

dubeta
02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
David Robinson and Chris Paul are top 10

* PER with at least 1 MVP and 1 FMVP

Marchesk
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
* PER with at least 1 MVP and 1 FMVP

Trying to keep Curry out?

I don't disrespect Lebron in rankings. He is in that second tier, with the possibility of joining Mount Rushmore when all is said and done, depending on how he finishes out. You disagree?

kshutts1
02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
I generally disagree with your tiers... but even going by your own reasoning, Oscar needs to be in the second tier. KG should be third.

JohnMax
02-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Lebron is in tier 5 with sidekicks like Pippen and failed #1 options like Mcgrady.

kshutts1
02-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Edit -- My tiers, and how I rank players, is no simple equation, nor one that I can spell out. But I just want to note that I do NOT heavily weigh TEAM (see: titles) accomplishments. I do consider them, but not too strongly. I'm ranking players, after all. Not players + circumstances.
My own tiers...

1:
MJ
Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Russell
Bird
Oscar
Magic

2:
Duncan
Lebron
Kobe
KG
Moses
Hakeem (edit)

3:
Doc
Karl
Barkley
West
Baylor

4:
Dirk
Wade
Isiah
Frazier (edit)
D. Robinson (edit)

... I lose steam there because I never really thought much beyond Tier 3.

Also, unranked players are Pettit, Johnston, Cousy, Mikan and similar-era greats. Too difficult to judge. Cousy and Mikan belong in the first tier by accomplishments, but it's too difficult to truly say, as the game has changed so dramatically.

T_L_P
02-05-2016, 05:10 PM
My own tiers...

1:
MJ
Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Russell
Bird
Oscar
Magic

2:
Duncan
Lebron
Kobe
KG
Moses

3:
Doc
Karl
Barkley
West
Baylor

4:
Dirk
Wade
Isiah
Frazier (edit)

... I lose steam there because I never really thought much beyond Tier 3.

Also, unranked players are Pettit, Johnston, Cousy, Mikan and similar-era greats. Too difficult to judge. Cousy and Mikan belong in the first tier by accomplishments, but it's too difficult to truly say, as the game has changed so dramatically.

No Hakeem + Oscar really isn't a tier 1 player, tbh.

kshutts1
02-05-2016, 05:13 PM
No Hakeem + Oscar really isn't a tier 1 player, tbh.
I forgot Hakeem, and David Robinson.

And Oscar is a tier 1 player to me. Other people have their own opinions, obviously. That's what makes discussions so fun.

But show me another player that can, and did, do what he did? And another player that was voted player of the CENTURY over such players as Russell, Kareem, Wilt, and MJ, to name a few?

SouBeachTalents
02-05-2016, 05:21 PM
I forgot Hakeem, and David Robinson.

And Oscar is a tier 1 player to me. Other people have their own opinions, obviously. That's what makes discussions so fun.

But show me another player that can, and did, do what he did? And another player that was voted player of the CENTURY over such players as Russell, Kareem, Wilt, and MJ, to name a few?

How about the likes of Hondo, Pippen, Barry, Stockton?

LBJFTW
02-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Instead of arguing over exactly who should be ranked in what position, we can go by what grouping players belong to.

Tier 1

MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Russell

This is your Mount Rushmore. Those are your all-time legends. They had the biggest impacts on the game. There is really no debate here, despite the occasional hater.

Tier 2

Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe

These guys are next. Magic is the bridge between the two tiers, with Lebron still having a chance to join Tier 1 by the time his career is done.

Tier 3

Hakeem, Moses, Oscar, Dr. J, West, Mikan

These are the almost top 10 guys, who were top 10 before Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq crowded them out. Hakeem is the bridge here, often being ranked in the top 10.

Tier 4

Pettit, Garnett, K. Malone, Barkley, Baylor, Hondo, Wade, Barry

Those kind of players would make up 4, with a lot of argument over who should be another tier down and who belongs in 4. Some might mention other players such as Isaiah, Cousy or Pippen.

Big bran fan here but bran is not tier 2 until he wins another ring.

kshutts1
02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
How about the likes of Hondo, Pippen, Barry, Stockton?
Hondo and Barry ahead of Pippen and Stockton, for sure. But they've yet to come. And, as I stated in my post, there are some omissions and holes, mostly because I've never gone further than a third tier, and I did it quickly.

If we want an all-inclusive tier list, I'd be happy to create one... it would just take a lot of time.

I'd also be happy to be a part of a select group of ISHers ranking their own top 100, at which point we'd pool, and average out, the results. But again, they take time.

pastis
02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
yea right, barkley and co are a tier above dirk.

kshutts1
02-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Big bran fan here but bran is not tier 2 until he wins another ring.
Deleted because that was not in reference to me. My apologies.

97 bulls
02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
I never delve too deep into ranking players because there's just too many variables. Too many circumstances that in my opinion shouldn't penalize one over another. For some reason, NBA fans are infatuated with ranking players. And I've always felt tiers are a much better means as well as fairer. Here's some criteria that I feel lump guys in with one another.

Tier 1 criteria. Was said player the face of the league for a generation? Not 3 or 4 years. Does said players accomplishments hold up to the best of the previous generations? Did said player win? What about said players stats? How many facets were they the best at? Or top 3? What about their FAILURES????? Eye test. Longevity/Durability, Abilities. I'm sure I'm missing some other factors, but you get the picture.

Tier 1
Jordan, Olajuwon, Jabaar, Chamberlain, Bird, Magic, Mikan (yes Mikan), James, Duncan, Erving, West, Big O, Bryant, James, O'Neal, M. Malone, Cousey

Tier 2 criteria. Look at tier 1 criteria but they fall short in some aspects
K. Malone, Stockton, Petit, Wade, Pippen, Nowitzki, Robinson, Barkley, Rodman, Garnett, Thomas, McHale, Hondo, Cowens, Barry, Mcadoo

I'm sure I'm missing players cuz I'm going off the top of my head. But it's overall consistent which is most important. And understand this isn't in any order. Just tier

Mass Debator
02-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Garnett was definitely not two tiers below Duncan.

Marchesk
02-05-2016, 07:38 PM
yea right, barkley and co are a tier above dirk.

I forgot about Dirk. He belongs with them.

Marchesk
02-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Garnett was definitely not two tiers below Duncan.

So you think he is top 15 all-time? You want to put him with Moses Malone?