PDA

View Full Version : Players are no longer allowed to foul during free throws

Hey Yo
02-07-2016, 01:45 PM
"The NBA is changing its rules regarding intentional fouls at the free throw line, distributing an email to the league stating that this will now be considered a flagrant foul, according to Chris Mannix of The Vertical.

Fouling just after the free throw shooter has released the ball has become an increasingly popular way to intentionally foul without time coming off the clock this season. The move has most commonly been used by Cleveland Cavaliers guard Matthew Dellavedova, who has been seen jumping on the backs of opposing players while his team is shooting free throws.

The classification of the foul as a flagrant 1 means that the fouled team will both shoot free throws and retain possession.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/07/nba-free-throw-line-foul-rule-flagrant

Derka
02-07-2016, 01:52 PM
I can live with that.

imnew09
02-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Fken Delly Fk him

Nice change :cheers:

wally_world
02-07-2016, 02:07 PM
So a proper over-the-back would also be a flagrant? :confusedshrug:

Hey Yo
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
So a proper over-the-back would also be a flagrant? :confusedshrug:
Not if he' going for the ball.

In the link it shows what Delly is doing and that's what they want to stop.

Segatti
02-07-2016, 03:02 PM
RIP piggyback

Straight_Ballin
02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Another great player goes down in the books as having caused the NBA to change the rules.

10 years from now some Akron kid will be at RubberDucks munching on a Delly dog reading about this rule change.

What a ****ing time to be alive!

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/rubberducks-serve-up-delly-dog-to-honor-cavs-guard-1.599444

ScalsFan21
02-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Eh, I agree with the change for the most part but changing the rules mid-season is iffy. I remember baseball did it when they were first adding replay to the equation in '08, and it made the game better but it's a little questionable when you finish a season with a different set of rules than you started with.

I guess they figure making the Hack-a-Shaq illegal is too radical a change for midseason, but this is minor enough to implement immediately. Arbitrary af if you ask me.

Akhenaten
02-07-2016, 03:11 PM
good, get that bush league trash out the game

Adam Silver
02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
My strategy with this rule change is to give the appearance of making things harder for LeBron, but I'll help him in other ways during the playoffs.