PDA

View Full Version : If Duncan wants to prolong career, would he consider coming off the bench?

Hey Yo
02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
He's getting to the point to where he won't be able to play starter minutes. He's currently at 25.9mpg right now.

Would he take on that role or pull an Iverson and say F THAT!!

rmt
02-08-2016, 05:12 PM
He'll do whatever is best for the team. What's wrong with coming off the bench - Manu's been doing it for years.

T_L_P
02-08-2016, 05:13 PM
That currently sits at 4th on the team, with #6 (highest minute bench player) is a whole 6 MPG behind him, so no.

He's probably gone after this season anyway, imo (unless the get really, really close to the Finals).

Lebron23
02-08-2016, 05:14 PM
I think it's time for him to retire. He already achieved his goals. And his numbers are now closer to Pippen Stats.

Besides winning another title won't improve his ranking unless he averages 26-12 in the NBA Finals.

Hey Yo
02-08-2016, 05:14 PM
What's wrong with coming off the bench
Nothing's wrong with it.....just curious if Tim would embrace it or retire instead of doing so.

outbreak
02-08-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm sure if he needs rest they will rest him as they've done in the past. He doesn't need to move to the bench though, he could just lower his minutes if he's struggling.

outbreak
02-08-2016, 05:15 PM
I think it's time for him to retire. He already achieved his goals. And his numbers are now closer to Pippen Stats.

Besides winning another title won't improve his ranking unless he averages 26-12 in the NBA Finals.
Because the ONLY reason for someone to play basketball is for their ranking? :roll:

Smoke117
02-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Why should he stop doing something he loves and he is good at if he doesn't want to? Who cares about his numbers...I know he doesn't.

Lebron23
02-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Because the ONLY reason for someone to play basketball is for their ranking? :roll:

The Spurs sit him out due to knee soreness.

outbreak
02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
The Spurs sit him out due to knee soreness.
And what does that have to do with him retiring because he won't improve his rank? He'll keep playing for as long as he feels he can contribute, enjoys the game, wants the money, likes the life style etc. Not because he thinks he can't improve his all time ranking anymore.

Lebron23
02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Why should he stop doing something he loves and he is good at if he doesn't want to? Who cares about his numbers...I know he doesn't.

He's playing hurt that's why he missed the last 7 games.

lilandywiggins
02-08-2016, 05:25 PM
He's getting to the point to where he won't be able to play starter minutes. He's currently at 25.9mpg right now.

Would he take on that role or pull an Iverson and say F THAT!!
Duncan still plays like a starter even if it isn't starter minutes. Doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench.

Hey Yo
02-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Duncan still plays like a starter even if it isn't starter minutes. Doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench.
On the defensive side, yes.......but avg 9ppg while only taking 7fga and 2fta per game. You want your big guys drawing fouls and getting to the line.

outbreak
02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
On the defensive side, yes.......but avg 9ppg while only taking 7fga and 2fta per game. You want your big guys drawing fouls and getting to the line.
If your team is winning why do you want to change any thing? He fits their system still and until that changes or he can't continue doing that any more why would they look at making changes?

imnew09
02-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Lebron should retire before 2/7, 2/8 :oldlol: :oldlol:

T_L_P
02-08-2016, 05:40 PM

Pop has said it a million times. Our identity will always be defense. He likes having Duncan start games because he essentially co-ordinates the other players. As long as he's playing, I'd say there's like a 1% chance it isn't as a starter.

Also, what other bigs do we have that would do this?? Duncan draws more FTAs Per 100 than Diaw and West, and neither of them are close to providing the defensive output Duncan does. :confusedshrug:

Lebron23
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Lebron should retire before 2/7, 2/8 :oldlol: :oldlol:

He's winning his 3rd NBA title This Year. Denver Broncos won the NFL title while LeBron and the Cavs are winning the NBA title.

Hey Yo
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
If your team is winning why do you want to change any thing? He fits their system still and until that changes or he can't continue doing that any more why would they look at making changes?
I'm not implying that it should be done now......just a futuristic question wondering if Tim would be ok with it.

Showtime2001
02-08-2016, 05:43 PM
He's winning his 3rd NBA title This Year. Denver Broncos won the NFL title while LeBron and the Cavs are winning the NBA title.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sHFwKV6H1tY/VRN7wycbEYI/AAAAAAAALkg/ILzhredlj7s/s1600/4vCzng1.gif

lilandywiggins
02-08-2016, 05:45 PM
There are plenty of starting bigs that average less than 9ppg. This is also pretty effective considering his mpg.

Hey Yo
02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Pop has said it a million times. Our identity will always be defense. He likes having Duncan start games because he essentially co-ordinates the other players. As long as he's playing, I'd say there's like a 1% chance it isn't as a starter.

Also, what other bigs do we have that would do this?? Duncan draws more FTAs Per 100 than Diaw and West, and neither of them are close to providing the defensive output Duncan does. :confusedshrug:
True....surprised after looking at it that SAS are 28th in the league in FTA.

lilandywiggins
02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Manning is retiring with his 2nd ring, which he got with the Broncos. LeBron already has 2 rings, so he is done.

outbreak
02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm not implying that it should be done now......just a futuristic question wondering if Tim would be ok with it.
Oh well if we are talking future I think he'd just retire. Pop and Duncan have said before they will retire together, there was one of those NBA championship films that had duncan, manu, parker and pop talking together and they all said how it'll be parker playing under a new coach on his own when the other three walk together.

jimmybball
02-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Just silly to compare Duncan to the egomaniacs Kobe and Iverson. Of course he'll do what it takes to win.

He Strong
02-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Exactly.

CarlosBoozer
02-08-2016, 07:54 PM
It's hard to sit someone who is a positive in defense, he'll most likely start every game until his knees are gone.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-08-2016, 08:55 PM

If he brings at least the same kind of impact as 2014, another title will absolutely help his ranking.

Spurs5Rings2014
02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
If he brings at least the same kind of impact as 2014, another title will absolutely help his ranking.

:applause:

Kobe_6/8
02-08-2016, 11:40 PM
He'll play as long as he thinks he can contribute. He was drafted in 1997, he could have entered earlier but he wanted to play all 4 years for his school. He seems like a loyal player.

What if he had signed with the Magic with T-Mac & Grant Hill though? :wtf: :bowdown:

Prime_Shaq
02-08-2016, 11:51 PM
I'm sure he will have no problems with it

FashionIssues
02-09-2016, 12:01 AM
i don't think he would sacrifice that one out of all things he already has. reduced playing time, salary, i say he bows out.

Black and White
02-09-2016, 04:40 AM

Why this arbitrary number? If Duncan can be the anchor on defense en route to a title, that absolutely helps his all-time ranking, his impact is beyond stats.

toxicxr6
02-09-2016, 04:45 AM
This is what his 19th season right? Wouldn't you agree his career has already been extended? You think he is going to play another 5 or 6 years? That I can't see happening... He already is goat teir in longitivity.. No point changing anything now

Spurs5Rings2014
02-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Why this arbitrary number?

He's a LeBron fan. He's posting a number he thinks is out of reach of the GOAT PF.

ninephive
02-09-2016, 03:05 PM

Hahaha what?! No one has averaged 26/12 in the Finals in like 13 years!