PDA

View Full Version : Why is education considered so necessary for career advancement these days?

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
I mean merely to get your foot in the door. My coworker was telling me about one of his daughters today that worked for 5 years as an assistant manager at a retail store and saw upper management come and go throughout that time and was finally asked when a spot opened up again "hey you've been here for a while, have you got a college degree?"

*no*

- remained assistant manager. (which triggered her to pursue an education so good for her).

But, this contrasts greatly with something I recently found out about my grandmother on my dad's side of the family. She dropped out of high school several months before graduating due to pregnancy so she never got a diploma. She ended up having 10 kids. Yet somehow still became the Mayor of her town and a leader of several organizations. She's long since passed but she's now been nominated for her high schools HOF - despite having never actually graduated. She became a prominent figure that never seemed to have trouble advancing in the world of politics and her organizations that she pursued.

What is with this current generations fixation on having "minimum" education requirements to be considered for leveling up in careers, when it didn't exist in prior generations? Should tenure, aptitude and/or being grandfathered into things really be considered that out of the question in this day and age?

You Cant Ban Me
02-09-2016, 07:19 PM
wilt would be a stronger tyson chandler in today's game DEAL WITH IT!

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2016, 07:22 PM
-off topic crap-
Dude... try participating

Nick Young
02-09-2016, 07:29 PM
It is a myth pushed by politicians and liberal idiots that you need a university degree to succeed in life. Politicians pushed this myth because the more idiots who take out loans to go to college, the more people they can trap in perpetual debt.

The fact is that most people in the world are morons, and not everyone belongs in university.

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2016, 07:31 PM
It is a myth pushed by politicians and liberal idiots that you need a university degree to succeed in life. Politicians pushed this myth because the more idiots who take out loans to go to college, the more people they can trap in perpetual debt.

The fact is that most people in the world are morons, and not everyone belongs in university.
...it's not a myth when it is actually put into practice. The above example I gave, was exactly that. Someone not being considered for a position within a company despite years of tenure and familiarity with the position due to not having a college education.

So while it may have been started under circumstances or agenda such as what you gave, at least some companies out there actually have put that agenda into practice.

Nick Young
02-09-2016, 07:32 PM
...it's not a myth when it is actually put into practice. The above example I gave, was exactly that. Someone not being considered for a position within a company despite years of tenure and familiarity with the position due to not having a college education.
If you want to be a wage slave and work your way up the corporate ladder in a company, yes, you are correct.

You are shortsighted if you assume this is the only way to make a living.

knickballer
02-09-2016, 07:34 PM
You know what's stupid? They'd have promoted her if she had a degree in Art History which doesn't have any correlation with her job.

I guess it's just a way to weed out people. You have a diploma and all of a sudden you're qualified.

DeuceWallaces
02-09-2016, 07:38 PM
If you want to be a wage slave and work your way up the corporate ladder in a company, yes, you are correct.

You are shortsighted if you assume this is the only way to make a living.

That is life without a degree unless you have success in business.

You don't need a degree to be successful, but your chances of being successful, having health insurance, flexible work hours and environment, etc. all increase dramatically when you have a B.S. in your field.

navy
02-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Degrees suck and are useless pieces of paper. We all acknowledge that but you should still get them anyways. Or other professional certification, not necessarily university.

That's life.

Jameerthefear
02-09-2016, 07:45 PM
I mean merely to get your foot in the door. My coworker was telling me about one of his daughters today that worked for 5 years as an assistant manager at a retail store and saw upper management come and go throughout that time and was finally asked when a spot opened up again "hey you've been here for a while, have you got a college degree?"

*no*

- remained assistant manager. (which triggered her to pursue an education so good for her).

But, this contrasts greatly with something I recently found out about my grandmother on my dad's side of the family. She dropped out of high school several months before graduating due to pregnancy so she never got a diploma. She ended up having 10 kids. Yet somehow still became the Mayor of her town and a leader of several organizations. She's long since passed but she's now been nominated for her high schools HOF - despite having never actually graduated. She became a prominent figure that never seemed to have trouble advancing in the world of politics and her organizations that she pursued.

What is with this current generations fixation on having "minimum" education requirements to be considered for leveling up in careers, when it didn't exist in prior generations? Should tenure, aptitude and/or being grandfathered into things really be considered that out of the question in this day and age?
Huh? My generation doesn't deserve blame for this.

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Huh? My generation doesn't deserve blame for this.
Shut up dummy, current generations as in generation X through present. Meaning, the baby boomers - til all present employer/employee generations. Your generation is barely old enough to work it doesn't really count. My grandma in question comes before that time. The baby boomers to present generation are the bosses putting these stipulations about "degree or GTFO" in place.

Even though the baby boomer generation could buy houses at age 20 with not even a high school education all they needed was an assembly line job, and college degrees cost them a whopping 400 dollars a year. We're expected to now have a college education to become things as measly as managers at retail stores, degrees that cost us 30-80 grand. It just seems a little off.

Jameerthefear
02-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Shut up dummy, current generations as in generation X through present. Meaning, the baby boomers. My grandma in question comes before that time. The baby boomers to present generation are the bosses putting these stipulations about "degree or GTFO" in place.

Even though the baby boomer generation could buy houses at age 20 with a high school education, and college degrees cost them a whopping 400 dollars a year. We're expected to now have a college education to become things as measly as managers at retail stores, degrees that cost us 30-80 grand. It just seems a little off.
I agree with your point, but the next time you tell me to shut up I'll put an end to you. Understand, son?

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2016, 09:09 PM
I agree with your point, but the next time you tell me to shut up I'll put an end to you. Understand, son?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ea/d7/42/ead742f7e43b291978724f3cc17caf0b.jpg

Im Still Ballin
02-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Because it's a mapped out, easy route that has been commercialized from your first day in school to your last living breath working. It's a road filled with limitations. The amount of money you make is limited by time. You earn a specific amount an hour. There is no exponential profits on the corporate ladder. Only at the very top.

It's not the worst option and financial plan for wealth. There are better though.

senelcoolidge
02-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm young thus oppressed, give me a job and pay me more.