PDA

View Full Version : No agenda thread: When was the last time a superstar had this good a supporting cast?

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 02:25 AM
Curry is obviously a superstar, the GOAT shooter, and is having another MVP year, but when was the last time a superstar player had this much talent around him???

Klay - All-Star, 20 ppg scorer, elite shooter, Top 5 SG
Dray - All-Star, probably the most versatile PF ever
Iggy - Elite defender, versatile player, one of the best 6th men
Bogut - Elite rim-protector, nice rebounder, skilled passer
Barnes - Athletic SF who can shoot and at times create for himself
Livingston - One of the best back-up PGs, solid size, can defend, & has nice post moves
Speights - One of the best mid-range shooter in the league
Barbosa - Still very quick & could score
Ezeli - One of the better back up centers, nice defender

If that is not stacked, I don't know what is.

Funktion
02-10-2016, 02:27 AM
Curry is obviously a superstar, the GOAT shooter, and is having another MVP year, but when was the last time a superstar player had this much talent around him???

Livingston - One of the best back-up PGs, solid size, can defend, & has nice post moves

Built a bully.

plowking
02-10-2016, 02:27 AM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.
Durant/Westbrook Thunder team.

Just a bunch recently. Only difference is Curry is better than all of the other top guys on the team.

JT123
02-10-2016, 02:29 AM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.

Just a bunch recently. Only difference is Curry is better than all of the other top guys on the team.
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif

JT123
02-10-2016, 02:30 AM
To answer the question, I'm not sure a superstar has EVER had this much help. All I know is if Curry doesn't win it all this year it will be the biggest choke in the history of sports.

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 02:38 AM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/30c4t1g.gif

plowking
02-10-2016, 02:40 AM

Just for comparisons sake... let us use Durant's Thunder, or Westbrook's Thunder and see where we get comparing the two...

Durant/Westbrook are both far and away better than Klay.
Ibaka, Adams, Dion Waiters give you a similar mix of Draymond, Bogut, and Iggy.
Enes Kanter is a way better version of anything the Warriors get in terms of down low or off the bench scoring.
Between Payne, Augustin and Morrow you have a solid rotation of guys that can help out off the bench too.

I just don't see how all of a sudden these guys became hot shit overnight.

I remember when people were trying to say Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis somehow made the Heat more stacked. It was a f*cking joke at the time, and it was a f*cking joke now. These are all pieces no one wanted. I mean, you're listing Barbosa as if everyone was out trying to get him... lol

sd3035
02-10-2016, 02:40 AM
Lebald right now on the Cavs

Lebald on the Heat

Duncan on the Spurs

Cp0 on the Clippers

All in the last few years

plowking
02-10-2016, 02:42 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/30c4t1g.gif

I'd honestly still take Ginobili over everyone off of GSW's bench.

tragicbronson
02-10-2016, 02:42 AM
Just for comparisons sake... let us use Durant's Thunder, or Westbrook's Thunder and see where we get comparing the two...

Enes Kanter is a way better version of anything the Warriors get in terms of down low or off the bench scoring.
Between Payne, Augustin and Morrow you have a solid rotation of guys that can help out off the bench too.

I remember when people were trying to say Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis somehow made the Heat more stacked. It was a f*cking joke at the time, and it was a f*cking joke now. These are all pieces no one wanted. I mean, you're listing Barbosa as if everyone was out trying to get him... lol

:biggums:

WayOfWade
02-10-2016, 02:43 AM
This good? It's debatable, but I'd say the 2013 Miami Heat. They already had won the title but then they added on Ray Allen of all people and just were perfect. Warriors actually built their team from the inside though, bringing FA role players and not FA superstars which makes their team incredibly impressive. Still though, LeBron>

1987_Lakers

:roll:

Mr. Jabbar

Lebald on the Heat

this :lol

ClipperRevival
02-10-2016, 02:44 AM
They are a very good supporting cast but I don't think they are THAT great. Curry is the guy who sets the tone for the entire team with his optimal play. He attracts the attention of the D and frees everyone else up. Sure, this is probably a 2nd round exit team without Curry but with him, a GOAT level team. Never underestimate the positive impact a transcendent talent can have on your team.

plowking
02-10-2016, 02:44 AM

Lebald on the Heat

Duncan on the Spurs

Cp0 on the Clippers

Thunder fan and you won't admit you've consistently had the most stacked team over the last 5 years as a whole. :oldlol:

24-Inch_Chrome
02-10-2016, 02:46 AM
Dion Waiters and Iggy are comparable?

72-10
02-10-2016, 02:50 AM
I don't know, probably only the 95-96 Bulls were close since then really.

But in history I'd still say that the league's most stacked team was the 85-86 Celtics.

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 02:51 AM
The Big Dog Mo Speights with the best mid range jumper in the L :lol

or he just gets wide open shots when he catches away from the basket because of players sagging off to guard backdoor cuts and better him shoot for 2 then kick out for 3.

plowking

They are just a better coached team. You can laugh all you want, but it wasn't but two seasons ago that Ibaka was putting up 15/9 with 3 blocks a game...
Ibaka to this day is still a better shooter than Draymond.

We can all pretend Iggy is some amazing player, but at the end of the day, he is a 6th or 7th man who puts up 8/3/3 and shoots free throws currently as well as Shaq.

72-10
I suppose your username counts as well.

plowking
02-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Dion Waiters and Iggy are comparable?

Can I seriously find out when another 8/3/3 player shooting 60% from the free throw line has been this lauded over? Like seriously.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Can I seriously find out when another 8/3/3 player shooting 60% from the free throw line has been this lauded over? Like seriously.
Do you watch either of them play? Dion Waiters is cancer

Marchesk
02-10-2016, 02:54 AM
Would the Warriors win 55 without Curry?

masonanddixon
02-10-2016, 02:56 AM
I don't understand why people have to hate on Curry. The dude is the most likable perimeter superstar I can think of. It's not like he's a complete turd like Lebron and needs marketing hype to get people to believe otherwise. Curry is a man of the people.

72-10
02-10-2016, 02:57 AM

I don't know. Do you think Curry plays great defense?

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 02:59 AM
I don't know. Do you think Curry plays great defense?

better than most..
his offense almost factors into a better defense

I won't explain why, just think about it

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 03:00 AM

Not to mention Iggy was asked to take a smaller role to play on this team.

Are we really forgetting about last summer when Kerr started Iggy in the Finals he went off for multiple 20+ points game and won Finals MVP?

plowking
02-10-2016, 03:02 AM
I'm not directly saying anything about them. I think Iggy is the better player, but he isn't anything special in today's league.

Michael Kidd Gilchrist is a guy no one talks about. You could put him on the Warriors and they wouldn't miss a beat if you replaced him with Iggy.
There are so many guys who sit on the bench, do the same shit Iggy does, and are better than him at it, and we don't call that team stacked.

Iggy is just another guy in the league who can create a bit, and defend. Plenty of them around.

ClipperRevival
02-10-2016, 03:06 AM

They would be a 2nd round exit team so yes, give or take a few wins.

plowking
02-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Not to mention Iggy was asked to take a smaller role to play on this team.

Are we really forgetting about last summer when Kerr started Iggy in the Finals he went off for multiple 20+ points game and won Finals MVP?

He wasn't asked to do anything. That is what happens when you get put on a team that is actually decent and you can't go racking up stats while playing a system designed around you.

The fact is, Iggy isn't the 17/5/5 guy he was in Philly if you want winning basketball. We've seen David Lee average 20/12, but to who's benefit? Just a guy filling a plug on a team.

Really? Finals MVP? That shit holds about as much merit as Kyle Korver making the all star team. Terrible choice, and the dude wasn't even guarded.

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
They are a very good supporting cast but I don't think they are THAT great. Curry is the guy who sets the tone for the entire team with his optimal play. He attracts the attention of the D and frees everyone else up. .

No doubt about it, thats what superstars do, the thread context is in relation to other superstars past and present. Far as the attention he gets, what about when he's not on the floor at all? That second unit not only almost always win but they frequently dominate.

They're bench is better than a good deal of starting lineups in the league, I've never seen anything like it. People saying the 12 or 13 Heat or the Thunder got to be joking, Heat benches were pedestrian at best, ditto the Thunder. The 96 bulls bench were nowhere near this teams level, not even talking about dray, kaly or barnes.

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 03:17 AM
He wasn't asked to do anything. That is what happens when you get put on a team that is actually decent and you can't go racking up stats while playing a system designed around you.

The fact is, Iggy isn't the 17/5/5 guy he was in Philly if you want winning basketball. We've seen David Lee average 20/12, but to who's benefit? Just a guy filling a plug on a team.

Really? Finals MVP? That shit holds about as much merit as Kyle Korver making the all star team. Terrible choice, and the dude wasn't even guarded.

It still doesn't change the fact that he could score more if asked to, he proved that in Philly, (Had a 3 year stretch where he averaged 19) and he proved that last year in the Finals, you also have to consider his elite defense, so you posting his 8/3/3 numbers to disregard him isn't going to work.

plowking
02-10-2016, 03:26 AM
It still doesn't change the fact that he could score more if asked to, he proved that in Philly, (Had a 3 year stretch where he averaged 19) and he proved that last year in the Finals, you also have to consider his elite defense, so you posting his 8/3/3 numbers to disregard him isn't going to work.

I won't keep arguing.

I see this happen all the time. I remember people on here calling Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph cancers, then all of a sudden they go to winning teams and they are essential pieces that people can't believe other teams passed on.

I'll say it again for you. Speights and Barbosa are two guys you used as an example? Who exactly was after these guys?

JimmyMcAdocious
02-10-2016, 03:31 AM
It's mostly that the role players are two way players. Versatile and unselfish ones at that. You can put Klay on 1-3. Barnes on 2-4. Iggy on 1-3, or even some 4s. Green on 3-5, some 2s. And they can check those positions against practically every NBA roster. Then Bogut is an elite rim protector and contributes offensively as one of the best passing bigs in the NBA. Livingston can play and guard down to the PF position against certain teams.

Just an exceptionally well crafted roster. The Warriors aren't about Steph, or the Splash bros, or Draymond, or whatever. The credit should go to the people in the FO who scouted, drafted, and signed this team.

Done_And_Done
02-10-2016, 03:39 AM
It's mostly that the role players are two way players. Versatile and unselfish ones at that. You can put Klay on 1-3. Barnes on 2-4. Iggy on 1-3, or even some 4s. Green on 3-5, some 2s. And they can check those positions against practically every NBA roster. Then Bogut is an elite rim protector and contributes offensively as one of the best passing bigs in the NBA. Livingston can play and guard down to the PF position against certain teams.

Just an exceptionally well crafted roster. The Warriors aren't about Steph, or the Splash bros, or Draymond, or whatever. The credit should go to the people in the FO who scouted, drafted, and signed this team.

This is a really good post..

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 03:41 AM
They're bench is better than a good deal of starting lineups in the league, I've never seen anything like it. People saying the 12 or 13 Heat or the Thunder got to be joking, Heat benches were pedestrian at best, ditto the Thunder.

I agree, Miami didn't have much depth as a team, they had an OK bench, but always had a big hole at the center spot and Chalmers was a below average starting PG.

OKC was also more top heavy, their big 4 in Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka was GREAT, but beyond that they were very thin. As evident by Perkins & Sefolosha starting games and 37 year old Fisher averaging 22 MPG in the postseason. OKC now has a little more depth, but their supporting cast doesn't come close to GS and Ibaka seems to have regressed as a player.

When you look at this Warriors' team they have no holes in every position, we all know they have the league's best backcourt, at the SF spot they have Barnes/Iggy, at PF they have Draymond, and at the C they have Bogut/Ezeli, just a very balanced team from top to bottom.

Young X
02-10-2016, 03:43 AM
The problem with threads like this (not the OP just in general) is people ignore the defensive side of the court. You can't just look at offensive talent and names in terms of supporting casts. That doesn't win championships. Team defense is what wins championships and that doesn't show up on paper.

Also you have to take into account the NEGATIVELY impactful players as well, not just compare how many good players teams have.

OKC is the perfect example of this. On paper they have great offensive talent just like the Warriors but the difference is they don't have the defensive players and TWO WAY players that make the difference in elevating a team from a really good one to a championship caliber one.

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 03:47 AM
Very good point, and it's one of the reasons why they are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

And although Draymond is a great defender, I think his perimeter defense gets a little overrated, he is too slow to guard to elite guards in this league, he gets beat often off the dribble. But guys like Klay/Barnes/Livingston/Iggy can guard multiple positions effectively. Even Draymond can guard multiple positions if the opposing player isn't super quick.

Bawkish
02-10-2016, 03:54 AM

Jerry Krause, is that you?

Kblaze8855
02-10-2016, 04:28 AM
At least 6 of those players nobody would give a shit about anywhere else. Arguably 7. The best of those.....ISH was split on him vs Gerald Wallace in 2012. 76er fans didnt give a shit about him in his prime. Maybe go look at some of those topics when he was on the block....

Bogut? Put him on the Raptors and you never hear his name said on national TV again.

Barnes is....just a solid young player.

4 of those guys are just....in the NBA. Not bad players...but you think Barbosa is something today he wasnt on the Celtics when you didnt hear his name? Speights? Ezeli? Just...some guys. Decent rotation players...on some teams. They wouldnt get into games on others.

This always happens on great teams with immense chemistry. People make the parts out to be more than they are because they equal a great whole...

That supporting cast is a good defensive Allan Houston, a guy on the level of Detlef Schrempf*, someone roughly equivalent to Kings Doug Christie.....and then some guys.

*Detlef was a 19/10/6 player many ranked ahead of Reggie on the same team in the early 90s....and an all nba player. Lets not act like Green has been disrespected

Steve Nash had an all NBA first teamer who put up 38ppg on Tim Duncan, a 22/11 all D teamer at the 3, and Joe Johnson the year before being a franchise player. When Joe was gone he had Barbosa when he was still arguably the quickest guard in the world putting up like 19 a game off the bench....Diaw who was getting back to back triple doubles in games Nash missed....a great collection of shooters(House...Jackson..Qrich...Thomas... depends on the year). Raja bell in there on the all D team and shooting his ass off. One year they had 7 guys shoot 39% from 3 or better.

Teams nobody even gives a shit about had similar levels of outright talent.

Dirk, Nash, Antione Walker, Finley,and Antawn Jamison were all on the Mavs at once. One left and won 2 MVPs, the first guy won the MVP after Nashs 2, Walker was the #3 on a title team 2 years later, and Jamison was still an 18ppg player like 6 years later. Finley the only one who was quickly washed up and he was still a 19ppg guy that year and shot 41% from 3 so its not like he was past his productive days.

But it isnt the talent. Its how well it plays together.

The Warriors play well together. But its hardly a team full of great players.

Nobody on that team but Steph would make a bad or average team one to care about.

Draymond might make the Nets into the....Raptors? If that. That would take some doing. Klay might make the Suns.....a 9th seed? 10th?

Iggy helped the Nuggets win 50 something games but not matter a few years ago. He was second option to Jrue Holiday on a 30ish win 76ers team in his prime. Should I expect him to make the Magic do something I care about?

The team is great. The players arent as good individually as they play together. Which is fine. Its a team game. They dont have to be great individuals. But lets call it what it is.

What would you actually expect to happen if Dray went to the 76ers?

These arent....team making guys. They are...other guys when you already have a team maker.

Steph is a team making talent.

The rest are just on the team.

There have been teams with multiple franchise players...borderline MVPs....together. Lately.

Id bet nobody on the Warriors could leave and be James Harden and the Thunder had him, Westbrook, and Durant.

I dont even like James Harden....but hes a hall of fame talent.

Klay..might....miiiiiiiiiiiiight have that hidden in him. Might. Big might.

I wouldnt count on it. Harden was the absolute everything at times for a 50 something win team and was voted MVP by the players. Hes....significant.

I dont know if there is a James Harden on the Warriors after Steph. Durant had Harden and Westbrook at the same time.

Hell id take Manu in his prime over anyone on the Warriors but Steph. Tony Parker too.

Warriors have plenty of good players. I dont feel like they have what it sounds like people want to make them out as.

Chemistry doesnt make all your role players significant individuals.

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 04:50 AM
Nobody on that team but Steph would make a bad or average team one to care about.

Draymond might make the Nets into the....Raptors? If that. That would take some doing. Klay might make the Suns.....a 9th seed? 10th?

Iggy helped the Nuggets win 50 something games but not matter a few years ago. He was second option to Jrue Holiday on a 30ish win 76ers team in his prime. Should I expect him to make the Magic do something I care about?

The team is great. The players arent as good individually as they play together. Which is fine. Its a team game. They dont have to be great individuals. But lets call it what it is.

What would you actually expect to happen if Dray went to the 76ers?.

You could say that about alot of players who played on all-time great teams.

'87 Kareem for example, put him on an average team, pretty sure the team wouldn't do much. Have James Worthy as your #1 option, I'm not sure his team makes the playoffs. Byron Scott was just a role player off the bench without Magic, but put them all together for that one year in '87 with Magic and many people consider that team to be all-time great, arguably the greatest offenses ever, & a team with incredible talent.

Robert Parish before he got to Boston wasn't even talked about, if he played for another team throughout his career he wouldn't be in the HOF, DJ before he got to Boston was considered to have a bad attitude, at his peak in Phoenix as the team's best player he couldn't lead a team to 50 wins (1982). But, put them with Bird in 1986 and many consider them the greatest team in NBA History and the most talented.

Not everyone on your roster has to be considered superstars to be an insanely talented team.

Black and White
02-10-2016, 04:52 AM
Why not look at the coaching? Or are people purposely ignoring this?

Kblaze8855
02-10-2016, 05:23 AM

'87 Kareem for example, put him on an average team, pretty sure the team wouldn't do much. Have James Worthy as your #1 option, I'm not sure his team makes the playoffs. Byron Scott was just a role player off the bench without Magic, but put them all together for that one year in '87 with Magic and many people consider that team to be all-time great, arguably the greatest offenses ever, & a team with incredible talent.

Robert Parish before he got to Boston wasn't even talked about, if he played for another team throughout his career he wouldn't be in the HOF, DJ before he got to Boston was considered to have a bad attitude, at his peak in Phoenix as the team's best player he couldn't lead a team to 50 wins (1982). But, put them with Bird in 1986 and many consider them the greatest team in NBA History and the most talented.

Not everyone on your roster has to be considered superstars to be an insanely talented team.

For one...the Suns won 50 something games with DJ..and hed already been finals MVP...an all star...all D team....and all nba first team...not that it matters.

I never said the team isnt great. Or talented. I said you listed a number of guys as if they are significant individuals...and they arent.

The team...is great. The players....are good.

And some you listed are just....run of the mill NBA rotation players not really worth mentioning in such a discussion.

It reminds me of a topic here years ago on some team vs the 90s Bulls and some guy was all "Jordan...Pippen..Rodman...Kukoc...Kerr...Longley.. ..what the ****?"

And im thinking to myself.....why are Kerr and Longley even mentioned?

Solid rotation players? Sure.

But there comes a point we just list additional names to make a list look longer....

And when you are mentioning some of those guys you did?

Its like talking about Wilts 76ers and bringing up Dave Gambee. Yes...he existed...yes...he contributed to an all time elite team. But cmon.

Some people are just....on a roster of a team thats great.

You listed at least 5 of them. When we are talking supreme talent on a team...and im reading about the 2016 version of Barbosa when nobody has cared about him for years? Im reading about guys past their primes who were not noteworthy in them? The backup point from a 20 win team because now hes on a team that would win 65 games no matter what he does?

Im not saying these people....are bad players. Im saying....when we talk about how much talent a team has....I dont want to see people listed who would be third string on bad to average teams just because they exist on teams great no matter what they do.

We are talking about some "Electric Eye" Robinson ass dudes for real....

Yea....he was on a 69 win team that didnt lose for 3 months and won a ring. And yes...he was at one point a good player....and he no doubt contributed to the success of that 69 win team. But he isnt really in a discussion for why the 72 Lakers were so good is he?

Not everyone on a great team is an especially talented individual. And in an issue of team talent...thats a factor.

plowking
02-10-2016, 05:32 AM
KBlaze just ethered this entire thread with some good points.

Seriously, acting as if Speights and Barbosa are good players that people really wanted? :oldlol:
Can anyone in this thread name the last two teams each of them played on without looking on the internet anywhere? Seriously. Like right now.

They have a few nice role players. So do a lot of teams. They are just coached better than everyone else, and Curry is just way better than anyone else right now.

golden24boy
02-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Man...:facepalm
Livingston,Barbosa,Speights....who notices these guys still playing in the nba before they were in GSW...warriors are livingstons 9th team i guess...
Speights - One of the best mid-range shooter in the league :facepalm :banghead:

this team is all about chemistry and leadership + curry effect- teams chasing this guy from the half curt, they double teaming him and he doesnt care about stats and passing to open guys...thats winning basketball

r0drig0lac
02-10-2016, 06:09 AM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.

:facepalm

keep-itreal
02-10-2016, 06:13 AM
nobody was saying Steph Curry had a good supporting cast before Steve Kerr became head coach.

Nobody was saying Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes and others were good role players before that either. These players were literally no names before their championship season.

Bawkish
02-10-2016, 06:14 AM
reminds me of those "'90s Super Mega Stacked Bulls All-Star Rosters" thread

G0ATbe
02-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Miami Heat 2010-14, Cavs 14-16, 90s Bulls are all more stacked teams

Cocaine80s
02-10-2016, 06:57 AM
They are a very good supporting cast but I don't think they are THAT great. Curry is the guy who sets the tone for the entire team with his optimal play. He attracts the attention of the D and frees everyone else up. Sure, this is probably a 2nd round exit team without Curry but with him, a GOAT level team. Never underestimate the positive impact a transcendent talent can have on your team.
Thats pretty ****ing stacked.

I dont see Cavs or Thunder making it to the 2nd round without Lebron or KD

plowking
02-10-2016, 07:38 AM
:facepalm

Show me a thread where you were saying how stacked the Warriors were prior to Kerr taking over.

SpanishACB
02-10-2016, 07:41 AM
reality distortion

ever heard that the easier way to make money is to have money?

same principle

a team that is doing good overall makes its players perform above their averages. Good chemistry, inertia, etc

this is why Metta World Peace and Shanon Brown were considered awesome players in their Laker championship runs.

Happens constantly

I think Dray and Curry are really really good mind you, I think the rest are, in part, victims of the moment. I don't Iggy or Bogut would be this meaningful or impactful at all in another team, not at all.

kurple
02-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.

Spurs currently?

Everyone and their mother said Tony Parker should retire last year.. Duncan and Gino is what? 40 years old. Same with David West tbh

Leonard is the teams star, so are you talking about LMA? Is that the amazing supporting cast?

Blue&Orange
02-10-2016, 09:51 AM

What was your opinion of said players before they played alongside superstar Curry?

90sgoat
02-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Klay is good but was crap in the finals.

Draymond is not close to being the most versatile PF (Barkley for one).

GSW has good players and are deep but individually none of those players would make much difference on the Knicks or Philly.

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 10:46 AM
KBlaze just ethered this entire thread with some good points.

Not really dude, he just assessed them from a "sum of their individual parts" perspective, which is a very simplistic and myopic analysis. Who here would deny that the 04 Pistons were a great team? Nobody with any sense would.

Now, name ONE great player from that team. Exactly.

Chauncey Billups (league journeyman, avg pg)
Rip Hamilton (solid player, very vulnerable as a defender)
Rasheed (underachieving malcontent)
Ben (garbage on offense)

Who were any of those guys prior to their 04-07 run? A bunch a rejects. Put em all together though in the right system and you had a SPECIAL TEAM.

87 Lakers made the same point regarding those showtime Laker teams

1-12 I've never seen anything like this GSW team, can you name some teams please? AGAIN 1-12

sd3035
02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
People are actually trying to say that Speights and Barbosa are good now? :roll:

plowking
02-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Spurs currently?

Everyone and their mother said Tony Parker should retire last year.. Duncan and Gino is what? 40 years old. Same with David West tbh

Leonard is the teams star, so are you talking about LMA? Is that the amazing supporting cast?

Tim Duncan right now is a better player than Bogut.
Tony Parker puts up 12/5/3 now on insane efficiency.
Ginobili is better than anyone coming off GSW bench aside from Livingston.
David West was a 14/7/4 guy on a contending team... not some average team.

In what way are the Spurs not stacked?
They are a year removed from a championship, and then they add David West and LMA, along with Leonard getting that much better... Am I missing something?
This Spurs team is even better than the title team that won in 2014, and that team at the time was the best team I've seen live outside of the 2000 Lakers and 96 Bulls.

Derka
02-10-2016, 11:09 AM
No agenda my ass. The depths people around here have to sink to cast aspersion on professional basketball players continues to astound me.

The raw numbers don't tell the story of why this team is as good as it is. Its not just Curry and a bunch of "help"...you don't have what could be a history-making season with that. The GS front office has drafted exceptionally well and the coaching staff has done yeoman's work in developing their young guys (Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes) into championship-level players. Every one of these guys contributes.

They've acquired all the right veterans...Iggy, Livingston, Bogut, Barbosa, and even fat Speights...they've all found and accepted a role in GS. Not guys who on other teams achieved anything even remotely close to what they're doing now...but you put them together and the shit just clicks.

The pieces on this team just fit almost perfectly on both sides of the ball. They're brilliantly coached. They have off-the-charts chemistry and it shows in their play. They have one of the most likeable superstars of this generation.

plowking
02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Not really dude, he just assessed them from a "sum of their individual parts" perspective, which is a very simplistic and myopic analysis. Who here would deny that the 04 Pistons were a great team? Nobody with any sense would.

Ben (garbage on offense)

Who were any of those guys prior to their 04-07 run? A bunch a rejects. Put em all together though in the right system and you had a SPECIAL TEAM.

87 Lakers made the same point regarding those showtime Laker teams

1-12 I've never seen anything like this GSW team, can you name some teams please? AGAIN 1-12

They are a deep team. No doubt about it. As far as "useable" pieces in a basketball game, they have a lot to throw at you. Current Spurs are one of the few teams I think that comes close in that regard.
Jordan's Bulls and Bird's Celtics are worthy mentions but they simply weren't coached that way.

This is a new era and brand of coaching and it is proving to trump all at the moment. Having these expansive line ups and different things you can throw at teams during the course of just one game is proving to be difficult to match up for as the game changes.

They aren't any more stacked than any of the other great teams though.

Legit, just in terms of talent, this team isn't any more stacked than those Phoenix teams that Nash had.
You had Nash, 25/10 Amare, 20/10 Marion, Joe Johnson, Quentin Richardson, Barbosa when he was actually decent, etc...
Amare and Marion are better than anyone outside of Curry, and you have Joe Johnson who at that time could have come into this team and done exactly what Klay is doing.

Hell, go look at the 2013 Lakers that crumbled terribly.
Kobe, Pau, Nash, Howard, Artest, Jamison, Meeks, Clark, Duhon, Jordan Hill... There is a deep, talented, experienced roster right there, talent wise probably to the standard of the current Warriors.

They aren't stacked. Well, not anymore than any of the other great teams before them, but they are incredibly talented. They are just a deep, resourceful team that is impeccably coached and assembled.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 11:13 AM

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Aside from Curry, Draymond and maybe Klay (who would be a lower tier allstar on another team), the Warriors are just a squad full of role players coached and playing the right way.

On the court, you could argue Draymond is their "vocal leader", but Curry is the guy who makes them go. Who has them performing at otherworldly and supernatural efficiency.

Are they stacked? Yes, but not in your conventional "superstar" way.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Aside from Curry, Draymond and maybe Klay (who would be a lower tier allstar on another team), the Warriors are just a squad full of role players coached and playing the right way.

On the court, you could argue Draymond is their "vocal leader", but Curry is the guy who makes them go. Who has them performing at otherworldly and supernatural efficiency.

Are they stacked? Yes, but not in your conventional "superstar" way.
Yeah, not much different from Mid-2000s Spurs with Duncan on top, Manu and Parker at all-star level, and role players doing their jobs to perfection.

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Hell, go look at the 2013 Lakers that crumbled terribly.
Kobe, Pau, Nash, Howard, Artest, Jamison, Meeks, Clark, Duhon, Jordan Hill... There is a deep, talented, experienced roster right there, talent wise probably to the standard of the current Warriors.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Morgan-Freeman-Leaves-Table-with-Food.gif

plowking
02-10-2016, 12:02 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Morgan-Freeman-Leaves-Table-with-Food.gif

Just because the results weren't there...

Everyone and their momma's were complaining when that team came together. People talking about how the league was stupid, and they're done watching, this and that, etc.

stalkerforlife
02-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Curry-effect.

Put them on other teams and see what happens.

Bran has franchise players. Curry has glorified role players that look like stars BECAUSE OF CURRY.

72-10
02-10-2016, 12:05 PM
As far as depth is concerned, perhaps you also recall that the early 2000s Blazers were being referred to as "too deep". Though, the team didn't have a superstar and was not "stacked", they might have been one of the deepest teams in history.

72-10
02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Are we talking 1-12, 1-7 or what?

MP.Trey
02-10-2016, 12:15 PM
I know, right? I've heard it all now. :oldlol:

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Are we talking 1-12, 1-7 or what?

1-12

Kblaze8855
02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Ben (garbage on offense)

Nobody said the warriors aren't a great team or that they aren't special. I said that being a great team doesn't make the players individually special.

do you think I watch the Warriors win 65 or 70 games I and think the team isn't great? I'm just not going to start acting like players who are absolute none factors on most any team in the league are individually great players because they are on a team that doesn't need them to do anything.

this is really too simple to be so poorly understood.

How we get from me explaining that a gang of role players don't deserve consideration as far as how supposedly talented that roster is on an all time level to people telling me that the team itself is stiil great as if that isn't clear is beyond me.

The team being great doesn't mean Barbosa wouldn't be the fourth string point guard on the Bulls or that a couple of these bigmen absolutely wouldn't get on the floor for a healthy Bulls team right now.

A Bulls team that isn't even that good.

a lack of special individuals doesn't mean the total team isn't special. That should be painfully obvious just glancing over NBA history. It's not like this is the first time it's happened.

Waltons Blazers had one great player one very good player and just some guys and won one ring beating the most talented team in the league then went like 50 and 8 the next season before Walton went down and they went 8 and 8 without them.

A special player and coaching can make unremarkable players win at a rate that gets them talked about but that doesn't make these guys who have been in the league for a decade with nobody giving a shit suddenly be special individuals.

it's a team game. You don't have to be individually spectacular to contribute to a great whole.

when a bunch of names are listed and a question posed about when a superstar has had access to such talent why wouldn't I evaluate the players as individuals? Why are the players listed if not to be evaluated as individuals? The fact that they comprise a great team when playing together is completely unquestioned by 100% of the sports world.

But you start listing these guys individually the argument that they are especially talented simply falls apart.

and when the question is posed about the talent of these players and they are listed individually with their skills pointed out you have to evaluate them individually.

if you aren't evaluating them individually there's nothing to talk about because the fact that they play well together as a team is completely beyond question.

Knoe Itawl
02-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Wow, just wow. Look mate, everyone has a brain fart every now and then, especially in the heat of trying to comment.

But you need to completely withdraw this statement. It taints everything you say on the issue from here on............

tontoz
02-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Two years ago they were a 51 win team that lost in the 1st round with basically the same roster. I don't remember anyone talking about how stacked they were then, or this time last year.

ImKobe
02-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Lol no...

Bogut and Draymond are far better than Ibaka and Adams....you saw the game they got schooled inside...Bogut's rim defense is something else, Kanter has nice moves but his lack of D hurts OKC whenever hes on the floor vs a team like GS.

Waiters is trash really, OKC bench got outplayed badly

Cavs and Spurs have the depth to compete with GS but Lebron/Kawhi aren't as good as Steph is right now. OKC only has a shot if KD and Westbrook go on a Shaq/Kobe 2001 type run where both can put up 30+ a game in the series.

Derka
02-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Two years ago they were a 51 win team that lost in the 1st round with basically the same roster. I don't remember anyone talking about how stacked they were then, or this time last year.
This.

ImKobe
02-10-2016, 01:22 PM

wasn't the same roster

no livingston, Blake as back up PG half the yr lol
Green and Barnes were in their 2nd year, far from being as good
Bogut wasn't healthy
David Lee starting, Jermaine O Neal back up Center :oldlol:
Mark Jackson :oldlol:

kshutts1
02-10-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't have anything new to add, but whatever.. it's a forum, right?

The team has some of the best chemistry I've ever seen. The individual parts are talented, of course, but mostly it's just how well they fit and play together.

On a hater-tangent, it's also one of my arguments for saying Curry is not the best player in the league currently. He's playing in just the right era with just the right coach and just the right teammates. Change any one of those factors, and he's just another star. Let me see him succeed outside of this nearly perfect setup, and then I'll be a believer.

Kblaze8855
02-10-2016, 01:28 PM

This makes me feel like you cant have been a fan very long or just have a poor memory.

The Blazers alone have had multiple teams more talented than this.

At one point their 8 best players were recent or soon to be all stars and they had a prime(26 years old) Drazen Petrovic glued to the bench.

They had a guy who was a 20-22 a game player...and one of the best shooters and international players ever...playing 100 minutes the entire season. They just didnt have room for him. And that may have only been the second most talented Blazer team I remember.

At one point Brian Grant, Bonzi Wells, and Jermaine Oneal were 8th, 9th, and 10th on the Blazers in minutes. And Stacey Augmon was 11th. He was somewhat washed up but no more so than some of these nobodies being propped up in here.

You cant begin to compare the back end of the Warriors roster to those teams.

Gerald Wallace and Hedo were the 9th and 10th men on the Kings at one point.

We were all on here wondering every preseason and blowout he got in how they couldnt find minutes for this guy:

https://giant.gfycat.com/CoordinatedYawningHumpbackwhale.gif

The Warriors....do not have a Gerald Wallace not getting any burn.

And when the expansion draft(Bobcats) came they couldnt even protect him. You get to pick 8 players to protect. Gerald was the only player in the NBA we all knew the Bobcats would get....he was too good not to take. But they didnt have room to cover him.

Thats actually not a bad way to really look at deep roster depth. Look over some rosters....see who a team would protect in an expansion draft. And who would be exposed.

There isnt one player on the Warriors past #8 an expansion team would desire over some of the guys ive been talking about. A team would take some of them to fill a spot....but its not like getting Drazen in his prime, Gerald Wallace, Hedo, Jermaine Oneal, Brian Grant, or Bonzi Wells.

We have an expansion draft right now...Warriors and Hawks protect their top 8...

You might be able to get Tim Hardaway Jr...Mike Scott. You should probably take them over whoever the Warriors leave unless you really really want a backup center.

The Warriors....are great. All time great.

The players on their roster past the top arent anyting close to comprable to some of the rosters we have seen.

That isnt an insult....thats saying....Barbosa in his current form is no prime Drazen Petrovic. And Livingston is no Jermaine Oneal or Brian Grant.

I suspect someone may try to spin that into an insult....but there is no basketball case for it.

Dudes on the Blazers were jokingly complaining in the media that arguably their best player couldnt even get in the game....meaning Jermaine.

The Warriors cant touch the depth of those kinds of teams. And I find it odd you dont remember them....

kshutts1
02-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Thats actually not a bad way to really look at deep roster depth. Look over some rosters....see who a team would protect in an expansion draft. And who would be exposed.
While I agree with your overall point, I think you overlooked a few things.

First, consider the fewer teams in the league. More talented players will be on one team.

Second, let's "do" that exercise. If every team can protect 8 guys... Who are some of the players that would be available?

Just a quick mention of some of the deepest teams in the league...
Warriors -- Curry, Klay, Dray, Bogut, Barnes... who else do they protect? Iggy, Ezeli, Livingston? That leaves Speights, Rush, Clark, Looney as the best available?

Bulls -- Butler, Gasol, Mirotic, Portis, Noah, Rose, Taj, McBuckets (?). That leaves Mike Dunleavy, Aaron Brooks, Snell as the best available?

Cavs -- Lebron, Kyrie, Love, Tristan, JR, Shump, Moz, Mo. Leaving Varejao as the only player worth mentioning.

That's just 3 quick examples. And my point being that no team has a 9th guy that's an "absolutely gotta have him" right now... at least not counting projects. But at least one of the Warriors guys, most likely Rush, would certainly get picked (again, not counting potential like Looney).

tontoz
02-10-2016, 01:47 PM
wasn't the same roster

no livingston, Blake as back up PG half the yr lol
Green and Barnes were in their 2nd year, far from being as good
Bogut wasn't healthy
David Lee starting, Jermaine O Neal back up Center :oldlol:
Mark Jackson :oldlol:

So the only significant additions they have made are backups.

I don't think adding journeyman like Livingston makes a team stacked. He has been on 9 teams. Still can't shoot 3s at all.

guy
02-10-2016, 01:51 PM

You could say that about a lot of great teams. Which means maybe that supporting casts are overrated and the constant arguments around them are pointless. And yes, including the 80s Celtics, 80s Lakers, 90s Bulls, etc.

Remove the chemistry aside and just assess the players on teams as individual talents. The Warriors still have great individual talents but I really don't see a notable difference between them and the Spurs, Cavs, Thunder, and maybe even the Clippers.

guy
02-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't have anything new to add, but whatever.. it's a forum, right?

The team has some of the best chemistry I've ever seen. The individual parts are talented, of course, but mostly it's just how well they fit and play together.

On a hater-tangent, it's also one of my arguments for saying Curry is not the best player in the league currently. He's playing in just the right era with just the right coach and just the right teammates. Change any one of those factors, and he's just another star. Let me see him succeed outside of this nearly perfect setup, and then I'll be a believer.

I don't really understand this. You're ignoring that Curry is the biggest part of that nearly perfect setup. There's no player that can be put in his place and they'd be as successful playing the way they're playing. Every other star player is either too ball dominant, can't shoot as well, can't pass as well, or a combination of all those things.

kshutts1
02-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I don't really understand this. You're ignoring that Curry is the biggest part of that nearly perfect setup. There's no player that can be put in his place and they'd be as successful playing the way they're playing. Every other star player is either too ball dominant, can't shoot as well, can't pass as well, or a combination of all those things.
I did call it a "hater" tangent for a reason.

And I don't recall ignoring that. But you are right, he is the perfect player for that system, and it's not even close.

sd3035
02-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Agreed, Curry is the setup

Kblaze8855
02-10-2016, 02:03 PM
While I agree with your overall point, I think you overlooked a few things.

First, consider the fewer teams in the league. More talented players will be on one team.

Second, let's "do" that exercise. If every team can protect 8 guys... Who are some of the players that would be available?

Just a quick mention of some of the deepest teams in the league...
Warriors -- Curry, Klay, Dray, Bogut, Barnes... who else do they protect? Iggy, Ezeli, Livingston? That leaves Speights, Rush, Clark, Looney as the best available?

Bulls -- Butler, Gasol, Mirotic, Portis, Noah, Rose, Taj, McBuckets (?). That leaves Mike Dunleavy, Aaron Brooks, Snell as the best available?

Cavs -- Lebron, Kyrie, Love, Tristan, JR, Shump, Moz, Mo. Leaving Varejao as the only player worth mentioning.

That's just 3 quick examples. And my point being that no team has a 9th guy that's an "absolutely gotta have him" right now... at least not counting projects. But at least one of the Warriors guys, most likely Rush, would certainly get picked (again, not counting potential like Looney).

A lot of people would get picked. Tony Snell might get picked from the Bulls. Or Moore. Varejao one would assume might....but hes never 100% anymore.

You might get Monte or Josh Smith off the Rockets. Mills or Diaw off the Spurs.

You wouldnt have anyone worth talking about on most teams....Warriors included. So I dont know why we have people acting like they have never seen depth like this. Talking...1-12 like these players are actually noteworthy.

The Warriors unprotected list looks like everyone elses.

They arent great because of 7-12. They are great because of 1-4 and chemistry.

Svendiggity
02-10-2016, 02:48 PM
In this era it's more common to see a dysfunctional team with multiple ultra talented players. Guys with egos that want numbers and money more than wins. I think you could say the Warriors are "stacked" with talented guys who's games mesh and that's rarer than your typical "stacked" team.

Micku
02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Lebron on the Heat.
Spurs currently.

LBJ on the Cavs too.
Clips had a similar lvl of talent 2014 and 2013.

But it's not all about talent. It's about knowing your roles and the coach can get them to play it very well, and the chemistry.

Like the Kings have talent this year, but they suck. The Pelicans have less talent than they do, but they managed to get to the playoffs last year. Memphis like several years ago had a lot of talent, but they struggled to get to the playoffs. When they finally did, they didn't look back.

It's not always about talent. It's about how well you play together. That's partly because of the coach and partly of the player willingness and capability.

sd3035
02-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Cavs are by far the most stacked team in the NBA right now

pegasus
02-10-2016, 03:12 PM
This. Lebron on the Heat and and on the Cavs have more talented teammates, but the Warriors are better because Curry >>>> Lebron.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 03:17 PM
https://giant.gfycat.com/CoordinatedYawningHumpbackwhale.gif

Young G-Wallace was so much fun.

sd3035
02-10-2016, 03:20 PM
This. Lebron on the Heat and and on the Cavs have more talented teammates, but the Warriors are better because Curry >>>> Lebron.

That's the correct answer :applause:

Akhenaten
02-10-2016, 04:48 PM
This makes me feel like you cant have been a fan very long or just have a poor memory.

The Blazers alone have had multiple teams more talented than this.

At one point their 8 best players were recent or soon to be all stars and they had a prime(26 years old) Drazen Petrovic glued to the bench.

They had a guy who was a 20-22 a game player...and one of the best shooters and international players ever...playing 100 minutes the entire season. They just didnt have room for him. And that may have only been the second most talented Blazer team I remember.

At one point Brian Grant, Bonzi Wells, and Jermaine Oneal were 8th, 9th, and 10th on the Blazers in minutes. And Stacey Augmon was 11th. He was somewhat washed up but no more so than some of these nobodies being propped up in here.

You cant begin to compare the back end of the Warriors roster to those teams.

Maybe but the thread is about a SUPERSTAR being surrounded by a deep and talented supporting cast. Those Rasheed Wallace Blazer teams certainly did not have a superstar player and Drex wasnt no superstar neitheron those deep Blazer teams.

The Warriors cant touch the depth of those kinds of teams. And I find it odd you dont remember them....

I remember them but again, those teams didnt have a superstar (Drex was not a superstar sorry), Warriors are top heavy AND have depth that's the thing. They have the best player in the league, top shooting guard and top to bottom depth..it's unprecedented.

Probably gotta go back to the 60's Celtics and Lakers or something

SexSymbol
02-10-2016, 04:49 PM

big 3 heat a few years ago?
big 4 celtics?
basically anything in the last 8 years.

Megabox!
02-10-2016, 04:51 PM

Lebald on the Heat

Duncan on the Spurs

Cp0 on the Clippers

You're so stupid it hurts

golden24boy
02-10-2016, 05:10 PM
big 3 heat a few years ago?
big 4 celtics?
basically anything in the last 8 years.

this :cheers:

Showtime80'
02-10-2016, 05:10 PM
1984 Lakers:

Magic
Kareem
Worthy
Cooper
Scott
McAdoo
Wilkes
Nater
McGee
Rambis
Kupchak

5 HOF players, 5 all-stars .

1986 Celtics

Parish
McHale
Bird
DJ
Ainge
Wedman
Walton
Sitchting

7 all-star players, 5 HOF players

1989 Pistons

Isaiah
Dumars
Laimbeer
Aguirre
Rodman
Salley
Mahorn
Johson
Edwards

4 HOF players, 5 all-star players

Give me a break with this Warriors slurping!!! Call me again when Golden Stat has a 6 to 10 year run like the above teams had and their players build up resumes like those mentioned that includes Curry!

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
OP apparently lost his mind.

Thank you for restoring sanity Kblaze.

AirTupac
02-10-2016, 05:22 PM

What an idiot. He's actually one of the dumbest posters here.

bdreason
02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
LeBron had Wade and Bosh.

Wade had LeBron and Bosh.

LeBron's current cast is arguably more talented with the highest payroll in the league (by far).

I won't get into the 80's Lakers and Celtics, because everyone already knows those are the most stacked teams of all-time.

ILLsmak
02-10-2016, 06:46 PM
How many espn top 100 players are on their team?

it's about fit, really... like I've always said 05-06 heat were stacked, too, because they had pieces that fit and battled every game.

Nearly every championship team, unless it's a really down year... is stacked. When people talk about stacked now, they mean big names. Like, for instance, the Spurs are stacked... cuz they have their old big 3 plus added two all star level players, as well as various talent around them.

Warriors are just a great team. They aren't 'stacked.' Heat were stacked because they had multiple superstars, but as we know... that's not always the best 'team.'

In terms of actually being a talented team, though, I'll give people that this team is one of the best I've seen in a long while. They are well built and ready for whatever. They should win the championship and be a dynasty, but we'll see. If they don't win it this year, basically they go from being a possible dynasty to, more than likely, just a one/two year wonder team. But who knows... we'll see.

-Smak

HoopologyPhD
02-10-2016, 07:38 PM
2003 Lakers

Inferno
02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
At least 6 of those players nobody would give a shit about anywhere else. Arguably 7. The best of those.....ISH was split on him vs Gerald Wallace in 2012. 76er fans didnt give a shit about him in his prime. Maybe go look at some of those topics when he was on the block....

Bogut? Put him on the Raptors and you never hear his name said on national TV again.

Barnes is....just a solid young player.

4 of those guys are just....in the NBA. Not bad players...but you think Barbosa is something today he wasnt on the Celtics when you didnt hear his name? Speights? Ezeli? Just...some guys. Decent rotation players...on some teams. They wouldnt get into games on others.

This always happens on great teams with immense chemistry. People make the parts out to be more than they are because they equal a great whole...

That supporting cast is a good defensive Allan Houston, a guy on the level of Detlef Schrempf*, someone roughly equivalent to Kings Doug Christie.....and then some guys.

*Detlef was a 19/10/6 player many ranked ahead of Reggie on the same team in the early 90s....and an all nba player. Lets not act like Green has been disrespected

Steve Nash had an all NBA first teamer who put up 38ppg on Tim Duncan, a 22/11 all D teamer at the 3, and Joe Johnson the year before being a franchise player. When Joe was gone he had Barbosa when he was still arguably the quickest guard in the world putting up like 19 a game off the bench....Diaw who was getting back to back triple doubles in games Nash missed....a great collection of shooters(House...Jackson..Qrich...Thomas... depends on the year). Raja bell in there on the all D team and shooting his ass off. One year they had 7 guys shoot 39% from 3 or better.

Teams nobody even gives a shit about had similar levels of outright talent.

Dirk, Nash, Antione Walker, Finley,and Antawn Jamison were all on the Mavs at once. One left and won 2 MVPs, the first guy won the MVP after Nashs 2, Walker was the #3 on a title team 2 years later, and Jamison was still an 18ppg player like 6 years later. Finley the only one who was quickly washed up and he was still a 19ppg guy that year and shot 41% from 3 so its not like he was past his productive days.

But it isnt the talent. Its how well it plays together.

The Warriors play well together. But its hardly a team full of great players.

What would you actually expect to happen if Dray went to the 76ers?

These arent....team making guys. They are...other guys when you already have a team maker.

Steph is a team making talent.

The rest are just on the team.

There have been teams with multiple franchise players...borderline MVPs....together. Lately.

Id bet nobody on the Warriors could leave and be James Harden and the Thunder had him, Westbrook, and Durant.

I dont even like James Harden....but hes a hall of fame talent.

Klay..might....miiiiiiiiiiiiight have that hidden in him. Might. Big might.

I wouldnt count on it. Harden was the absolute everything at times for a 50 something win team and was voted MVP by the players. Hes....significant.

I dont know if there is a James Harden on the Warriors after Steph. Durant had Harden and Westbrook at the same time.

Hell id take Manu in his prime over anyone on the Warriors but Steph. Tony Parker too.

Warriors have plenty of good players. I dont feel like they have what it sounds like people want to make them out as.

Chemistry doesnt make all your role players significant individuals.

:applause:

Inferno
02-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Gotta go with kblaze on this. No one really gave two shits about Barbosa, Speights, Ezeli, Livingston (to an extent), and Iggy (to an extent) till the last 2 seasons or so. The Warriors are an extremely well built team, but that doesn't mean they have the best backups at every position :biggums: A lot of these guys are benefiting from playing under Kerr and with Steph/Klay/Dray just as much as they're contributing to the Warriors being a "stacked" team.

The Thunder have consistently had 2 MVP candidates for Christs sake, and up until this season a good half of this board was consistently arguing for Durant > Steph, Westbrook > Steph, and even Harden > Steph :confusedshrug:

Inferno
02-10-2016, 08:29 PM
nobody was saying Steph Curry had a good supporting cast before Steve Kerr became head coach.

Nobody was saying Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes and others were good role players before that either. These players were literally no names before their championship season.

Disagree with bold, but agree with the overall post. :cheers:

plowking
02-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Wow, just wow. Look mate, everyone has a brain fart every now and then, especially in the heat of trying to comment.

But you need to completely withdraw this statement. It taints everything you say on the issue from here on............

It isn't though.

If it was the Thunder with GSW record and GSW with the Thunders record we would be saying that those 3 do all the little things that the other 3 don't.

There isn't some massive gap between Ibaka, Adams and Waiters, and Bogut, Draymond and Iggy.
Are they better than the Thunder bunch? Yeah. By much? No.

The only one that would give them some massive edge is Draymond, and that is because he evolved as a player just this offseason.

People were saying Iggy was trash just before he got traded from Philly. Philly fans were actually rejoicing when he got traded. Dude was playing second fiddle behind Jrue Holiday, a dude who was just finding his way in the league.

It is all perception and what team you're on. Bogut wasn't getting talked about worth a shit on here before moving to GSW and winning something. I mean they won the damn title with him sitting on the bench for most of the finals. :oldlol:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359108
Here is what people thought of Draymond before the winning...
"Malik Rose"
"Bruce Bowen"
"Past Prime Marion"
"Jeff Green"

Tell me, are people out there on these NBA teams lusting for a player like that to be on their team? :oldlol:

tontoz
02-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Does anyone really think Green would be averaging 7 assists playing with Lebron?

Lebron holds the ball too long. Curry is an elite off the ball player which allows other guys to use all their skills.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 09:03 PM
2003 Lakers
Do you mean 2004?

plowking
02-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Does anyone really think Green would be averaging 7 assists playing with Lebron?

Lebron holds the ball too long. Curry is an elite off the ball player which allows other guys to use all their skills.

I've watched quite a few GSW games this season, since they're my favourite team to watch... Has Draymond Green made a pass this season that has made you say "wow, that was nice"...
Curry averages less assists than Draymond if I'm not mistaken, and he routinely does, just about every game.

Draymond plays on a team that scores a bunch of points, and uses mismatches to get a bunch of points. He really isn't some spectacular passer he is made out to be. What he is, is a guy that is allowed to create, and someone you can trust to make the right play consistently.

tontoz
02-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I've watched quite a few GSW games this season, since they're my favourite team to watch... Has Draymond Green made a pass this season that has made you say "wow, that was nice"...
Curry averages less assists than Draymond if I'm not mistaken, and he routinely does, just about every game.

Draymond plays on a team that scores a bunch of points, and uses mismatches to get a bunch of points. He really isn't some spectacular passer he is made out to be. What he is, is a guy that is allowed to create, and someone you can trust to make the right play consistently.

That is my point. On another team he wouldnt be nearly as effective.

They are a great team but put some of these guys on another team and nobody notices them. Bogut wasn't getting much notice with the Bucks. Iggy was seen as a good defender but a weak shooter and too passive offensively. Klay was drafted after Jan Vesely. :lol He wasn't that good until Kerr took over.

1987_Lakers
02-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Bogut wasn't getting much notice with the Bucks. Iggy was seen as a good defender but a weak shooter and too passive offensively. Klay was drafted after Jan Vesely. :lol He wasn't that good until Kerr took over.

Is that why Bogut was a #1 overall pick in the draft, made an All-NBA Team in 2010, and the Warriors actually traded their best player to get him?

Iggy was an All-Star just 2 years before he got to Golden State, he also won a Gold Medal playing for USA in the 2012 Olympics.

Klay wasn't that good before Kerr got there??? He only played 3 seasons before Kerr arrived to GS, he made the All-Rookie 1st team in his first year, & he averaged over 18 ppg in Mark Jackson's last season there, now he has developed in an All-Star.

Stop with the ignorance.

tontoz
02-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Is that why Bogut was a #1 overall pick in the draft, made an All-NBA Team in 2010, and the Warriors actually traded their best player to get him?

Iggy was an All-Star just 2 years before he got to Golden State, he also won a Gold Medal playing for USA in the 2012 Olympics.

Klay wasn't that good before Kerr got there??? He only played 3 seasons before Kerr arrived to GS, he made the All-Rookie 1st team in his first year, & he averaged over 18 ppg in Mark Jackson's last season there, now he has developed in an All-Star.

Stop with the ignorance.

Kwame Brown was drafted number 1 too. So what?

Bogut wasn't a bust but he was definitely a disappointment. Injury prone and couldn't score outside 5 feet. And he played a whopping 12 games his last season with the Bucks due to yet another injury. He was damaged goods when they traded for him. They mainly wanted to get rid of Ellis to build around Curry and wanted a defensive big. I don't think he has ever made the All-Star game, lame considering how weak the center spot is league wide.

Even now Bogut is playing only 21 minutes a game. He can't score worth a damn. He shoots 40% from the foul line, a prime target for intentional fouls. On another team he wouldn't get noticed. GS has so much scoring that his offensive weakness doesnt hurt them.

Klay was 21 as a rookie. Before Kerr he was a spot up shooter and not much else. Weak rebounder didn't get many assists or get to the basket much. Take him off GS and put him on an average team he isn't an All-Star. He isn't very good off the dribble but gets a lot of good looks thanks to the D focusing on Curry. Similar to Beal right now, who is a year younger than Klay was in year 3.

Iggy has been with GS 3 years and has yet to average double figures. His last year in Philly he averaged 12.4 ppg in 36 minutes. Then with Denver it was 13 ppg in 35 minutes. He wasn't getting much attention then. But they don't need him to score much with GS. He is averaging 7.6 ppg this season.

BigMacAttack
02-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Where were these threads two years ago? Lol the roleplayers have improved as Curry has improved. Think about it.

If Lebron had this exact same supporting cast he and his stans would be begging for more help etc

Mr. Jabbar
02-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Where were these threads two years ago? Lol the roleplayers have improved as Curry has improved. Think about it.

If Lebron had this exact same supporting cast he and his stans would be begging for more help etc

exactly. basketball minds in this board are so basic..

1987_Lakers
02-11-2016, 01:12 AM
Klay was 21 as a rookie. Before Kerr he was a spot up shooter and not much else. Weak rebounder didn't get many assists or get to the basket much. Take him off GS and put him on an average team he isn't an All-Star. He isn't very good off the dribble but gets a lot of good looks thanks to the D focusing on Curry. Similar to Beal right now, who is a year younger than Klay was in year 3.

Before Kerr got to the Warriors, the Wolves were interested in trading Kevin Love for Klay. Nuff said.

Inferno
02-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Before Kerr got to the Warriors, the Wolves were interested in trading Kevin Love for Klay. Nuff said.

They wanted Klay and Barnes though

warriorfan
02-11-2016, 01:38 AM

Everyone in the universe knew Love was gonna walk, they couldn't trade Kevin Love for a salad. The only reason he was able to get moved is cause LeGM is a fuccing dumbass :lol

Kblaze8855
02-11-2016, 03:26 AM
Maybe but the thread is about a SUPERSTAR being surrounded by a deep and talented supporting cast. Those Rasheed Wallace Blazer teams certainly did not have a superstar player and Drex wasnt no superstar neitheron those deep Blazer teams.

Quote:

I remember them but again, those teams didnt have a superstar (Drex was not a superstar sorry), Warriors are top heavy AND have depth that's the thing. They have the best player in the league, top shooting guard and top to bottom depth..it's unprecedented.

Probably gotta go back to the 60's Celtics and Lakers or something

You said:

Simply asking for teams since you are either a new fan or have a poor memory....

But now that its painfully obvious there have been(recent) deeper/more talented teams your case hinges not on the teams in question being deeper and more talented....but on you not thinking guys like Drexler, Sheed, and Webber were superstars....

Even ignoring that Drexler not being considered a superstar is ****ing ridiculous....

You are just trying to alter your initial request. You asked for 1-12 better teams. I show you teams that kill them from #6 on...you just pretend it isnt true or find reason not to count them.

Washed up Barbosa, some role playing bigmen who would make a difference on no team, and some bench warmers are hardly unprecedented depth no matter how you try to twist it to eliminate inconveniently talented rosters.

We dont need a qualifier for the truth and people who are right dont need to find a way to remove answers they dont like. The idea that there has never been a team 1-12 as deep as the Warriors when teams have had all star level 10th men better than the Warriors 5th best player says it all.

There have been plenty of rosters the back half of the Warriors....couldnt find a second of PT on.

There have been lottery teams the Warriors bench wouldnt get a lot of minutes on.

The Warriors have 8 "So what?" players on a team that gets them more love than their contribution justifies.

We were literally having "Nobody wants ____" topics with these dudes:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278200

Barbosa went unsigned and had to go back to play in Brazil. Not the euroleague... Esporte Clube Pinheiros in Brazil. After that he became an NBA hanger on signing multiple 10 day contracts.

Barbosa is literally an unsigned free agent who went to play in Brazil before 10 day contracting his way back to the NBA where hes started 8 games in the last seven years....

And hes listed as if hes part of some otherworldly depth of good players.

Its Steph...Klay....Dray...Iggy...and some guys. 2 of which are occasionally worth mentioning.

But this "Ive never seeeeeeeeeeeeeen such depth" shit needs to end.

The only people who have never seen such depth are people who never looked into it.

Many many many teams have been as deep as the Warriors or deeper.

They just didnt play basketball as well.

ClipperRevival
02-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Thats pretty ****ing stacked.

I dont see Cavs or Thunder making it to the 2nd round without Lebron or KD

Winning isn't just a result of talent, it's also chemistry, system, coaching, confidence and whether the pieces fit. When you have all of that, the results can be greater than the sum of the individual parts. And defending champs usually have all of that.

golden24boy
02-11-2016, 04:33 AM
Put curry on the cavaliers and they go like 72-10
Put Lebron on the warriors an they will fire kerr

plowking
02-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Serious question, are the current Cavs or Thunder any less talented than the Warriors?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-11-2016, 05:03 AM

Ibaka, Adams, Dion Waiters give you a similar mix of Draymond, Bogut, and Iggy
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
this dude is such a fcking troll:roll: :roll: :roll: