PDA

View Full Version : Curry Effect: Making role players into Stars. Lebeta Effect: The Opposite

imnew09
02-10-2016, 02:48 AM
Curry is turning the role players into stars. Klay, Dray, Barnes and etc are becoming stars. These werent top picks in any draft . No one thought they could be this good.

On the other hand, Lebeta effect turns superstars like Wade, Bosh , Kyrie , Love into role players, especially spot up shooters:facepalm

FKAri
02-10-2016, 02:50 AM
Lebron is so GOAT that anyone that is around him looks like garbage in comparison. And if Lebron's team loses it is assumed that his defender must've been on some GOAT shit too.

In short: GOAT gonna GOAT

Marchesk
02-10-2016, 02:52 AM
And if Lebron's team loses it is assumed that his defender must've been on some GOAT shit too.

Only the GOAT himself could raise a bench player to the level of FMVP.

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Its the Duncan effect until he does it for 20 seasons.

:coleman:

ClipperRevival
02-10-2016, 03:02 AM
GSW is showing what bball is all about. Ball movement and body movement and the ball never sticks. Everything is in rhythm and within the flow of the game. And when you play optimal ball like this, good things happen. The sum of the parts appear much greater than the individual. :applause:

FKAri
02-10-2016, 03:03 AM
Only the GOAT himself could raise a bench player to the level of FMVP.

Exactly. Like Lee Harvey Oswalt, James Earl Ray, or Mark David Chapman, bringing down a GOAT gives you hype.

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 03:16 AM
I say its the Duncan effect because Draymond, Barnes and Klay would still be the same players on another team.

Playing with Duncan, a guy who understands and has filled his role for so long makes his teammates understand what theirs are better. Coach pop then works individual strengths and weaknesses however best.

Think about how many times the Spurs bring in a player and somehow squeeze out new skills and ball IQ they never had before. All the time!

How many times has a guy left the Spurs and ever looked any better? Not a lot of guys to really care talking about, but you get the idea.

I'd say Cory Joseph but he's a young intelligent guy who knows his roll and gets to feel the love being back home in Canada anyways.

raprap
02-10-2016, 03:19 AM
Curry gonna move to top 12 by next season. Kobe moves down another spot.

#top13 :lol

Angel Face
02-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Product of playing under a system instead of hold the ball for good seconds then pass.

oarabbus
02-10-2016, 03:22 AM
Its the Duncan effect until he does it for 20 seasons.

:coleman:

Duncan made Parker, Leonard, Ginobili into stars?

Funny, I thought they were pretty good as it was.

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 03:26 AM
Curry is turning the role players into stars. Klay, Dray, Barnes and etc are becoming stars. These werent top picks in any draft . No one thought they could be this good.

On the other hand, Lebeta effect turns superstars like Wade, Bosh , Kyrie , Love into role players, especially spot up shooters:facepalm

****ing ether

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 03:46 AM

you're going to debate that Duncan doesn't make players around him better?
I didn't disagree on Curry getting his guys to another level, just made the point that Duncan has been doing it for two decades.

Edited (thought I was getting into it with TS-- **3am ) Tim sure as hell did help turn those 2 already hall of famers and 1 FMVP and likely future HOF guy into who they are. Weren't exactly lottery picks.

Maybe you can tell me the other teams those 3 played for before coming to the Spurs? My only point was saying look at players who came to the spurs and left in comparison to how they perform in SA.

Marchesk
02-10-2016, 03:54 AM
Product of playing under a system instead of hold the ball for good seconds then pass.

Curry is the ultimate system player, like Tom Brady.

imnew09
02-10-2016, 03:59 AM

Under the Curry System :bowdown: Pace and tempo are totally in Curry's control

oarabbus
02-10-2016, 04:00 AM
you're going to debate that Duncan doesn't make players around him better?
I didn't disagree on Curry getting his guys to another level, just made the point that Duncan has been doing it for two decades.

Edited (thought I was getting into it with TS-- **3am ) Tim sure as hell did help turn those 2 already hall of famers and 1 FMVP and likely future HOF guy into who they are. Weren't exactly lottery picks.

Maybe you can tell me the other teams those 3 played for before coming to the Spurs? My only point was saying look at players who came to the spurs and left in comparison to how they perform in SA.

Duncan most definitely makes everyone around him better. Wasn't trying to say that isn't the case, but I see how my comment could have come off. However I think the talent of Parker and Ginobili is greater than that of say, Barnes and Klay.

If you switched Danny Green and Klay, I'm not sure Green would be quite as good as Klay is right now, but I don't think the Warriors would fall off much. Curry is really making a lot of guys much better singlehandedly. But when you look at the Spurs, even if Duncan doesn't play, they're a devastating team probably due to the brilliance of Popovich.

Leonard in particular I think was destined for greatness under Pop regardless of Duncan. He was very good even as a rookie, and his offensive game has just evolved immensely.

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 04:22 AM
Duncan most definitely makes everyone around him better. Wasn't trying to say that isn't the case, but I see how my comment could have come off. However I think the talent of Parker and Ginobili is greater than that of say, Barnes and Klay.

If you switched Danny Green and Klay, I'm not sure Green would be quite as good as Klay is right now, but I don't think the Warriors would fall off much. Curry is really making a lot of guys much better singlehandedly. But when you look at the Spurs, even if Duncan doesn't play, they're a devastating team probably due to the brilliance of Popovich.

Leonard in particular I think was destined for greatness under Pop regardless of Duncan. He was very good even as a rookie, and his offensive game has just evolved immensely.

To go on each point---

Parker and Ginobili are great players and I always argue with friends that Manu could have been a star play maker on any team in the NBA. Luckily they both played with the Spurs who allowed their skills to shine. Ginobili was the kind of wild card player a team of fundamental robots like the Spurs needed. So he gave them that. Parker was pretty weak ball defender and managed to become a dominant offensive guard by relying on Duncan to protect the paint on defense and be the best screen and roll guy for a long time.
When Duncans mid range shot was still deadly you were either getting burned by that or Parker just driving to the league as one of the quickest and tightest around screens which made him lead the league in points in the paint for a couple seasons.

Kawhi Ill give more credit to the coaching staff and even though some people regarded him highly, not many did... As evident by acquiring him on draft night by trading George Hill, a nice player but he was never going to become an allstar like kawhi.

Not that you can credit Duncan for his demeanor and personality making Kawhi better, but I'd argue that having a humble, fire inside kind of guy like Duncan only helped that same personality in Kawhi get stronger. The thing with Kawhi and being a Raptor fan as well and seeing it in Demar. You can see that drive inside them that will only make them better until their body stops them. That's exciting as a fan and why Duncan doesn't really get an assist with Kawhi really.

So much rambling and terrible writing.. time to sleep.:sleeping

Dr. Cheesesteak
02-10-2016, 04:54 AM

Klay was #11. Barnes was #7. :facepalm

Spurs5Rings2014
02-10-2016, 11:06 AM

They were good in 2003?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

He Strong
02-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Sadly Barnes has not played like a star, particularly given his potential coming into the league.

DMV2
02-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Sadly Barnes has not played like a star, particularly given his potential coming into the league.
his stocks plummeted a few months before the draft.

while hes not a star, hes been solid in the playoffs. better playoff player than reg. season.

Finger Roll
02-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Barnes seems incredibly average to me.

If you ask me a guy like James Johnson would be great in his spot. You dont need the shooting and he takes it to the rack and rebounds well. Gives you a little size on a small lineup with defense and rebounding.

not sure why I thought of JJ. just who I see as an equal getting poorly utilized in Toronto

He Strong
02-10-2016, 03:23 PM

while hes not a star, hes been solid in the playoffs. better playoff player than reg. season.
By plummet you mean went from a #1 pick contender to #7. Still mid-lottery pick with star potential that he never fully realized.

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 05:07 PM
You know Curry is a god when people talking that ish like Harrison Barnes is a great player :lol

tontoz
02-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Barnes was garbage in the Finals. He can't create off the dribble at all. That is why Kerr put him with the starters so he could get open looks thanks to the defense focusing so much on Curry.

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Barnes was garbage in the Finals. He can't create off the dribble at all. That is why Kerr put him with the starters so he could get open looks thanks to the defense focusing so much on Curry.

Barnes looks like a nice player because with over half of his looks there isn't anyone within 10 feet of him.

2 years ago Mark Jackson thought Barnes was gonna be a stud and tried to let him create his own offense and give him a larger role...With catastrophic results...

Barnes is a decent defender and rebounder and can knock down open corner 3's. He has a little bit of a midrange game as well but it is really unreliable.

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 05:41 PM
What people don't get with Curry's team mates is that these guys get extremely comfy and show flashes of greatness in these regular season blow out games vs bottom tier teams when the game is literally over by half time.

The environment of a meaningless regular season blow out game compared to a very tight playoff or finals game is night and day.

Mo Speights, Barnes, Klay, these guys go off and have impressive offensive performances for the first scenario in the regular season blow outs.

When things clamp down in the playoffs during close games do we see Klay hitting 3 pointer after 3 pointer? Barnes clutching it with mid range? Mo Speights bombing 20 footers and 3 pointers?

The answer is no, all those guys clench up and pull disappearing acts and it's up to Curry to pull some crazy shit to get them back in the game.

Hey Yo
02-10-2016, 05:43 PM

So what you're saying is that James won B2B titles practically by himself with just mere role players....while Curry won last season with a team full of stars?

imnew09
02-10-2016, 09:21 PM
What people don't get with Curry's team mates is that these guys get extremely comfy and show flashes of greatness in these regular season blow out games vs bottom tier teams when the game is literally over by half time.

The environment of a meaningless regular season blow out game compared to a very tight playoff or finals game is night and day.

Mo Speights, Barnes, Klay, these guys go off and have impressive offensive performances for the first scenario in the regular season blow outs.

When things clamp down in the playoffs during close games do we see Klay hitting 3 pointer after 3 pointer? Barnes clutching it with mid range? Mo Speights bombing 20 footers and 3 pointers?

The answer is no, all those guys clench up and pull disappearing acts and it's up to Curry to pull some crazy shit to get them back in the game.

Tell em!!

They aint got sh** to argue back

knicksman
02-10-2016, 09:48 PM
So what you're saying is that James won B2B titles practically by himself with just mere role players....while Curry won last season with a team full of stars?

dumbest poster strikes again