PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Brad Stevens? Best coach in the East?

Micku
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Boston are the 3rd best team in the East. 8-2 in their last ten. Second best defensive team in the league in efficiency. Top ten in offense. And then when I look at the roster, the question that always pops in my head is how?

The Bulls and Miami have better talent yet they aren't performing as well as the Celts. I know talent isn't the only thing, but man. I did not expect the Celts to perform this way from the current cast. Is he the best coach in the East?

JohnnySic
02-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Best coach in the league. :pimp:

beastee
02-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Agreed. Add the fact that Thibs is unemployed and Hoiberg has done nothing for the Bulls.

Can you imagine if Celtics can get a star? Wow.

MMM
02-10-2016, 04:32 PM
The Celtics are talented in their own right but are lacking star talent. In comparison to Miami and Chicago they are currently more talented despite not having the top end star. The Celtics are deeper which allows them to be able to maintain good effort throughout 48 mins. Why people might be confused about their talent is the Celtics are talented on defense and have good ball movement which to the outside observer isn't as sexy or noticeable as other traits . Avery, Jae, and Smart is probably the best defensive backcourt rotation in basketball and their bigs are skilled at spacing and moving the ball.

Derka
02-10-2016, 05:10 PM
In the East? Its him and Casey. Cleveland isn't as good as it is on account of coaching.

Every guy in the Boston locker room buys in to what Stevens is preaching. That's the key to everything. Any big-time acquisition we make, be it a trade or a free agent, had better be ready to do the same because I'd sooner keep Coach Stevens over just about any player in this league right now.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-10-2016, 05:14 PM
He would go #1 overall if there were a coaching draft. Consider age, what he's able to do with less (both in college and the pros), and that he' just a better coach than everyone except maybe Pop.

Future GOAT. Larry Brown with loyalty.

Done_And_Done
02-10-2016, 05:15 PM
In the East? Its him and Casey. Cleveland isn't as good as it is on account of coaching.

I beg to differ Derk. Casey has markedly improved over the years but he's not on Stevens' level. I don't cringe at some of DC's in-game decisions nearly as frequently as I used to but i'm still not sold on him yet as being the guy here. I'll give credit where it's due though.

Derka
02-10-2016, 05:22 PM
I beg to differ Derk. Casey has markedly improved over the years but he's not on Stevens' level. I don't cringe at some of DC's in-game decisions nearly as frequently as I used to but i'm still not sold on him yet as being the guy here. I'll give credit where it's due though.
Fair enough. I admittedly don't watch a lot of Toronto games, so let me ask: is Toronto's improvement attributable mostly just to the talent out on the floor?

Fire Colangelo
02-10-2016, 05:22 PM

Every guy in the Boston locker room buys in to what Stevens is preaching. That's the key to everything. Any big-time acquisition we make, be it a trade or a free agent, had better be ready to do the same because I'd sooner keep Coach Stevens over just about any player in this league right now.

Pls don't mention Casey in the same sentence as best coach.

He's improved, but there are tons of coaches I'd take over him.

Done_And_Done
02-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Fair enough. I admittedly don't watch a lot of Toronto games, so let me ask: is Toronto's improvement attributable mostly just to the talent out on the floor?

Casey is a respectable motivator and his players seem to wanna play for him (in spite of past rumblings pertaining to discord between him and certain players)

We just have a decent blend of talent, culminated by a fierce backcourt that has entered their prime. We're a solid bunch that appears to value team success over individual accolades which is always helpful to the cause. I feel like the fact that the East is very average and deficient of any real powerhouses (with the exception of the Cavs) has skewed the public perception of how good we really are. I mean, we're a good team. We're just not great.

We're a really good SF and PF short of being contenders.

bdreason
02-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Best young coach in the league. Only guys I would take over him right now are Popovich and Carlisle.

ballup
02-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Pretty much consensus at this point

Wally450
02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Based on the posts in this thread, I guess we're done here. :cheers:

Rekindled
02-10-2016, 06:25 PM
best coach in the league.

Mawly-G
02-10-2016, 06:40 PM
What are the chances that the Celtics can draft Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram with Brooklyn's pick?

kurple
02-10-2016, 06:41 PM
He would go #1 overall if there were a coaching draft. Consider age, what he's able to do with less (both in college and the pros), and that he' just a better coach than everyone except maybe Pop.

Future GOAT. Larry Brown with loyalty.
Carlisle, Kerr and 130yo Pop > Stevens

but thats it

TemporaMutantur
02-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Honestly, if you just watch Boston play, you can see how hard they play and hustle. They have a lot of grit and are a pretty young team.

All they need is a stronger presence in the PF/C area.

A mentally sound DMC would be money for them.

Mawly-G
02-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Honestly, if you just watch Boston play, you can see how hard they play and hustle. They have a lot of grit and are a pretty young team.

All they need is a stronger presence in the PF/C area.

A mentally sound DMC would be money for them.

What about Blake Griffin? He kind of fits their style of physical play.

Wally450
02-10-2016, 07:02 PM
What about Blake Griffin? He kind of fits their style of physical play.

I, myself would prefer a Cousins instead. A lot of people are quick to jump at him being a cancer, but his rim protection and ability to stretch the floor & score in the post are just what the Celtics need.

Derka
02-10-2016, 09:09 PM
I, myself would prefer a Cousins instead. A lot of people are quick to jump at him being a cancer, but his rim protection and ability to stretch the floor & score in the post are just what the Celtics need.
Did you see the Celtics/Kings game this past Sunday? He's an enormous baby...and that's saying something when Celtics fans were the ones treated to Glen Davis quite simply crying on the bench.

If calls don't go his way, he has an honest to God conniption. When he misses a shot, he dogs it getting back on defense. He couldn't be more unlike the guys who are succeeding on this Celtics team right now. I get that he's supremely skilled...I do. I just don't think we get better as a team with him on it.

Wally450
02-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Sacramento isn't really a great situation for him either. Never really had a veteran to teach him the way. Maybe he needs a change of scenery and well respected coach, maybe he just can't be fixed at this point.

raprap
02-10-2016, 09:20 PM
My favorite coach today. He brings out the best on his players and can draw up plays.

Derka
02-10-2016, 09:33 PM
This is DMC's sixth season in the league; he IS a veteran. Coaches don't come that much more respected than George Karl. Time for the guy to nut up and show that he can play the game like a man. If he could show even the slightest inclination towards leadership, I'd be on board. But honestly, if you're the type of guy who needs it taught to you...you're not going to get it.

Micku
02-10-2016, 10:04 PM
This is DMC's sixth season in the league; he IS a veteran. Coaches don't come that much more respected than George Karl. Time for the guy to nut up and show that he can play the game like a man. If he could show even the slightest inclination towards leadership, I'd be on board. But honestly, if you're the type of guy who needs it taught to you...you're not going to get it.

I honestly don't know why the Kings aren't top 8. They have more talent than Portland, so I expected them to be at least at the same record. Houston is the 8 seed, but I think the kings is really under achieving here. I don't know what's up. George Karl is a good coach, but wtf?

This reminds me of how Memphis was six years ago in 2010. Rudy Gay was on that team too. They had Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, and Mike Conley and AI coming off the bench or something. That team did not make the playoffs and I was like wtf?? They had the talent, but they couldn't even get to the .500 mark.

The Kings reminds me of Memphis back in the day. They have the talent, but something is missing man. DMC is wasting his talent. They either need THAT special coach to get everybody in line or DMC needs to get out of there.

But again....the Celts. The Celts have way less talent than the Kings imo, and yet they are top 10 in offense and top 2 in defense. Wtf? It's gott'a be the coach. Maybe some team chemistry too, but dang man.

Rocketswin2013
02-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Boston plays a really good brand.

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Thomas deserves more love

Legends66NBA7
02-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Toronto has overachieved, not improved. They once again rely on Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan to do the heavy lifting and carry a bunch of average to above average (Jonas) role players and they do it in an ISO style more so.

I have no doubt that any team in the East would beat them in a playoff series, even the ones that are missing the playoffs because frankly Casey's playcalling doesn't work effectively in the playoffs. Not to mention, as good as Lowry and DeRozan are, are overachieving themselves and will get burned out. It's a classic case of low end all-star talent, not legit star talent that can take your team deep in the playoffs.

Rant aside, it's 1) Lowry, 2) DeRozan, then the rest.