PDA

View Full Version : Mike Conley for Monta Ellis has to happen.

bdreason
02-10-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm not usually one to make trade threads, but I actually had a dream the other night that the Pacers traded Monta Ellis for Mike Conley, and made it to the NBA Finals (yes, I have basketball dreams).

Anyways, Mike Conley is exactly what the Pacers need now that they've reverted back to a traditional lineup with the emergence of Myles Turner. Conley can run the offense, hit open 3's, and play lock-down defense. On the other hand, Monta gets to move back south closer to his family, and the Grizzlies lock-up an exciting wing player for 4 years, and don't have to worry about Conley walking in the off-season.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Didn't like it when proposed in the title, but your explanation has me convinced.

bdreason
02-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Damn only 1 reply got me feeling like hawkfan.

Pushxx
02-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Damn only 1 reply got me feeling like hawkfan.

This thread is infinitely better than a hawkfart thread.

As for the idea, it's not gonna happen, whether it makes sense or not.

Done_And_Done
02-11-2016, 02:50 AM
What the hell ever happened to Hawkfan anyways? Did he go ghost mode once the salt factory burnt to ashes last year?

Anyhow... Your trade makes sense as indicated in your OP but Im of the opinion that the Grizz need to get younger and sooner than later. I realize they've made a 180 since the turn of the new year but I really don't like the makeup of this team. They need prospects and a fresh look.

Pushxx
02-11-2016, 02:58 AM
What the hell ever happened to Hawkfan anyways? Did he go ghost mode once the salt factory burnt to ashes last year?

Anyhow... Your trade makes sense as indicated in your OP but Im of the opinion that the Grizz need to get younger and sooner than later. I realize they've made a 180 since the turn of the new year but I really don't like the makeup of this team. They need prospects and a fresh look.

He used to not be such a douchebag so people didn't hate him as much. Then last year he went no-****s mode and now that the Hawks aren't top-notch he's lost all remaining motivation to post.

masonanddixon
02-11-2016, 03:06 AM
This is a great trade.

SwishSquared
02-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Indy has to get this done. They'd get a lot better and get rid of Monta's contract (I think having both Ellis and Stucky doesn't make a ton of sense).

I actually don't like this for Memphis because I think Monta will decline in next 2 years, which will make him overpaid the last 1.5 years of that deal. If they move Conley, they need a young guy and a pick in return.

Really interesting trade proposal though

StephHamann
02-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Why would Memphis do this? Ellis is a ballhog and can't play defense, Conley is a good 2 way player.

90sgoat
02-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Yes, why would Memphis do it?

Fire Colangelo
02-11-2016, 01:14 PM
No way Memphis takes Ellis straight up, Pacers are going to offer some kind of asset or involve a 3rd team.

Maybe if Pacers offer Myles Turner

Milbuck
02-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Isn't hawkfan banned? Ridiculous if it's a perma, dude went over the top for a while there but I don't see why you'd permaban the extreme Hawks homer instead of the dumbass Kobe/Lebron/Jordan/Curry trolls who legitimately ruin this place.

So what's the deal with George Hill? Does he just suck now or what?

Fire Colangelo
02-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Isn't hawkfan banned? Ridiculous if it's a perma, dude went over the top for a while there but I don't see why you'd permaban the extreme Hawks homer instead of the dumbass Kobe/Lebron/Jordan/Curry trolls who legitimately ruin this place.

So what's the deal with George Hill? Does he just suck now or what?

George Hill would be a great backup PG.... He just can't run an offense IMO.

Levity
02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
conley on INDY would be fantastic, but i see 0 reason MEM would want to do it, other than to already have a "PG" signed to their team for the next few years, since conley is expiring.

theres been rumors of teague for hill. that's a lot more likely to happen.

imdaman99
02-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Knicks need Conley more. They have the worst PG in the league starting for them. Would gladly give up Grant for him. However since I know that is not enough, they'll just have to sign him once he becomes a free agent :pimp:

Horatio33
02-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Why would Memphis do this? Stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Fire Colangelo
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Knicks need Conley more. They have the worst PG in the league starting for them. Would gladly give up Grant for him. However since I know that is not enough, they'll just have to sign him once he becomes a free agent :pimp:

Would you sign him for the max?

Idk what kind of contract he's looking for...

kshutts1
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Conley would be great on a lot of teams.

But, as others have said, I see little reason for Memphis to do this.

I'd rather see something like...

Conley to Minnesota
Rubio, and a second round pick from each team, to Philly
Embiid to Memphis

Minnesota has a solid, all-star caliber PG, but not one that will stunt the growth of their young players. I can picture him resigning there, too, as that's a young up-and-coming team.

Philly gets their PG. Ish has played well, but Philly loves the length and athleticism that Rubio provides, and his pass-first mentality could be contagious on such a young team. Embiid is a huge question mark at this point, and a legit starting PG plus two second round picks seems like a solid haul, all things considered. If I'm way off base on Embiid's value, please let me know.

Memphis rolls the dice with a potential HOF talent (going by what so many have said of Embiid). It could be a bad idea, and amount to next to nothing... or it could be great. But assuming Embiid is healthy enough to play next season, he'll have some fabulous mentors.

StephHamann
02-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Conley to Minnesota
Embiid to Memphis

Minnesota has a solid, all-star caliber PG, but not one that will stunt the growth of their young players. I can picture him resigning there, too, as that's a young up-and-coming team.

Philly gets their PG. Ish has played well, but Philly loves the length and athleticism that Rubio provides, and his pass-first mentality could be contagious on such a young team. Embiid is a huge question mark at this point, and a legit starting PG plus two second round picks seems like a solid haul, all things considered. If I'm way off base on Embiid's value, please let me know.

Memphis rolls the dice with a potential HOF talent (going by what so many have said of Embiid). It could be a bad idea, and amount to next to nothing... or it could be great. But assuming Embiid is healthy enough to play next season, he'll have some fabulous mentors.

:biggums:

Memphis trades Conley, a very good PG, for a cripple???

TaLvsCuaL
02-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I'd rather be raped by a Bangladeshi sailor than this trade.

imdaman99
02-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Would you sign him for the max?

Idk what kind of contract he's looking for...
Are we talking 6 yrs 90 million or 6 yrs 120 mill? I'd rather give him 90 but if all contracts are going that direction, might as well wrap up that position in the East for the next 5-6 years and give him what he wants. He would be vital in the development of KP6.

kshutts1
02-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Memphis trades Conley, a very good PG, for a cripple???

I could be way off base on Embiid's value, as I said, but Memphis trades a PG who is what he is at this point for a potential franchise player.

SwishSquared
02-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Conley to Minnesota
Embiid to Memphis

Memphis rolls the dice with a potential HOF talent (going by what so many have said of Embiid). It could be a bad idea, and amount to next to nothing... or it could be great. But assuming Embiid is healthy enough to play next season, he'll have some fabulous mentors.Philly didn't tank to get a seriously flawed PG. There's a reason that they traded MCW and didn't want Elfrid Payton. I'd be shocked if a PG they trade for or draft can't shoot adequately.

kshutts1
02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Philly didn't tank to get a seriously flawed PG. There's a reason that they traded MCW and didn't want Elfrid Payton. I'd be shocked if a PG they trade for or draft can't shoot adequately.
They've long said that shooting ability is something that they believe they can teach. Therefore, they're drafting the "unteachables" like size, length, athleticism, etc. Rubio fits that bill.

SwishSquared
02-11-2016, 03:11 PM
They've long said that shooting ability is something that they believe they can teach. Therefore, they're drafting the "unteachables" like size, length, athleticism, etc. Rubio fits that bill.That was back in '13 when they acquired Noel and MCW, not trading Embiid for a vet that doesn't move the needle that much going into the future.

Rubio's been playing pro ball for a decade and in his 5th NBA season. His track record in shooting and finishing is really putrid (historically bad actually). I don't see Philly taking him on. All the guys who can't shoot have been rookies or people that they took in salary dump moves.

There's a difference paying the minimum to Grant, Sampson, etc. and paying Rubio $12M/year.

If they gave up a player that they don't value as much, maybe they make a move for Rubio. But I really don't see it if they move one of their lotto bigs.

But we can agree to disagree :cheers:

bdreason
02-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes, why would Memphis do it?

I guess it comes down to whether or not they can re-sign Conley, or even want to give him a MAX deal in the off-season.

You have to remember that Memphis isn't a hot free-agent market. Like the Utah Jazz, the Grizz need to draft players and trade for extended contracts. Monta is also on a good contract for a small market team, and he's from the South.

The Pacers would have to include something else, maybe a 2nd round pick and/or Joe Young?

jimmybball
02-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Memphis needs to blow things up. I'm not sure if taking Monta's 4 year contract is the way to go. They may be better off letting Conley walk if he doesn't re-sign.

$LakerGold
02-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Pacers will do it, Memphis won't.

Dro
02-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Is this real, where did you see this?

G-train
02-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Why would Memphis do this? I'd rather cap room than Ellis.

bdreason
02-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Why would Memphis do this? I'd rather cap room than Ellis.

Monta Ellis
Joe Young
2nd R pick

or

Maybe Conley walks in the off-season and get nothing.