PDA

View Full Version : How to make the All-Star game more competitive?

bdreason
02-15-2016, 04:23 PM
It's an exhibition game, so I don't want the results to effect the regular season or playoffs. For example, I think that MLB deciding the World Series HCA with the All-Star game is ridiculous.

Anyways, I thought what if the NBA picked two cities prior to the game, one Western city and one Eastern city, and the winning Conference gets to 'host' the All-Star game the following year. The idea is that the fans would then want their team to win, and perhaps that would place some pressure on the players to try to win. I'm not sure if logistically one year is enough time to plan an All-Star game, but I'm sure they could pull it off.

Any other ideas on how to increase competitiveness in the All-Star game are welcome.

Pushxx
02-15-2016, 04:26 PM
You just don't.

TheImmortal
02-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Conferences are lopsided.. so it's no surprise that one continues to dominate over the other. Leastern Conference has been inferior for 17+ years now.. don't act like you don't know.

damn.. didn't even take in 1999 to now being that many years tbqh... 00's era kids will be in the league in just a few years :eek:

Levity
02-15-2016, 04:30 PM
The HC of each all-star team chooses a charity. The NBA donates double to the charity of the winning team than what the losing teams charity gets.

NBA stays winning

dhsilv
02-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Just get rid of the game.

Young X
02-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Get money involved.

Not a good amount just enough for players to put at least some effort in trying not to lose.

Losing team has to donate parts of their salary to charity or something.

Or do something where each player of the losing team has to sing the national anthem in front of their entire arena in their next home game.

Showtime80'
02-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Thank God nobody watches this crap anymore, the all-star game used to get ratings in the 10-12 range with 20 million people on NETWORK TV back in the 80's and 90's.

Now a days you barely get a 4.5!

Pretty soon the game will be on the Lifetime network which would fit perfectly with the softness and Sisterhood that exists in the NBA today!

navy
02-15-2016, 04:37 PM
You dont. It's an exhibition game. You would be mad if your player got hurt in a meaningless game.

dhsilv
02-15-2016, 04:41 PM
I mean really guys, basketball is no longer some simple game of iso post ups and cross overs. Good basketball takes time for players to learn each other and a system. You're not getting good basketball in 2016 in these kinds of events. You didn't really get it in the past but at least back then the game was simpler so you didn't notice how clearly bad it was.

I mean I guess you could try and get players to think these games matter, but honestly outside of maybe 10 guys ever, nobody really ever cared about the games.

lil jahlil
02-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Pay bump to the winning team. Simple as that.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Has any player ever been hurt in the allstar game?

I don't think people are saying they want it be like the NBA Finals. But if you're looking at the product the last two years and comparing it to something like the 70s/80s, or even the early 00s... or even just 5 or 6 years ago. ...And thinking what we get is fine then I don't know what to say. Might as well get rid of the game altogether.

Tarik One
02-15-2016, 04:49 PM
I think sponsors and league executives have more to do with the players playing so soft. So much is invested in these stars, they don't want them to risking an injury in an exhibition game.

DMV2
02-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Keep it as it is. All-star games are supposed to be fun and the NBA does it the best.

Like Charles says, Saturday night is his favorite part of the AS Weekend. You can just enjoy Fri and Sat stuff and skip the actual ASG. I know did.

lil jahlil
02-15-2016, 04:57 PM
I think sponsors and league executives have more to do with the players playing so soft. So much is invested in these stars, they don't want them to risking an injury in an exhibition game.
Good point. The fans want it more intense, but the NBA itself does not.

SouBeachTalents
02-15-2016, 04:59 PM
I've always felt people made WAY too big a deal about All-Star games. They're exhibition games that literally don't mean anything, yet people endlessly debate who should make it, who got snubbed, who should have won MVP etc.

The players involved simply have too much $$ riding on them to risk injury in an absolutely meaningless game. And you guys can say what you want, if a player from your favorite team got hurt yesterday you'd all be singing a different tune.

Bottomline is, these players have everything to lose and nothing to gain by participating in this game, so I can't even blame them for erring on the side of caution.

Showtime80'
02-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Give me a break dhsilv!

How much simpler can you get than launching 139 open 3's along with countless layups and dunks?!?

Complexity of today's game!?!? Kevin McHale and Hakeem Olajuwon had more variety and complexity in their little pinky than today's fundamentals challenged NBA where players are becoming "3 point threats" over a summer of practice! PATHETIC!

Call me when ANY of these modern bums get a well rounded game of a Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Bird or Olajuwon over a three month time span! Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan have spent YEARS playing basketball and still don't even have ONE SIMPLE GO TO MOVE IN YHE POST!

2016 basketball fans will have to come to the same realization that fans in 2004 had to, the NBA is just not as good as it was in the 80's early 90's!

Jameerthefear
02-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Give me a break dhsilv!

How much simpler can you get than launching 139 open 3's along with countless layups and dunks?!?

Complexity of today's game!?!? Kevin McHale and Hakeem Olajuwon had more variety and complexity in their little pinky than today's fundamentals challenged NBA where players are becoming "3 point threats" over a summer of practice! PATHETIC!

Call me when ANY of these modern bums get a well rounded game of a Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Bird or Olajuwon over a three month time span! Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan have spent YEARS playing basketball and still don't even have ONE SIMPLE GO TO MOVE IN YHE POST!

2016 basketball fans will have to come to the same realization that fans in 2004 had to, the NBA is just not as good as it was in the 80's early 90's!
Dude shut the hell up

FreezingTsmoove
02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Last time players went hard in an exhibition game Paul George broke his leg in half

Pushxx
02-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Last time players went hard in an exhibition game Paul George broke his leg in half

Amen brother

Showtime80'
02-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Players today have proven to be made of tissue paper, both in body and EGO!!!

That's the same excuse the supposed "stars" have given for not participating in a dunk contest for years not taking into account that NOBODY has had a serious injury in a friggin contest!

Players 30 years ago used to play year round in exhibitions and pick up games all the time and you never heard about this bullsh!t!

Shorten the schedule for this guys already!

Spurs m8
02-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Good point. The fans want it more intense, but the NBA itself does not.

Yeah **** what the fans want...them and their stupid money

Lebron23
02-15-2016, 06:43 PM

That's the same excuse the supposed "stars" have given for not participating in a dunk contest for years not taking into account that NOBODY has had a serious injury in a friggin contest!

Players 30 years ago used to play year round in exhibitions and pick up games all the time and you never heard about this bullsh!t!

Go back to the 1980's. And ride this Delorean Old man!!!

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/bttf_time_machine_ebay_lead.jpg

Fire Colangelo
02-15-2016, 09:38 PM

It ha nothing to do with being soft or any non sense like that. If you've never got in an accident while driving drunk does that mean it won't happen eventually? It's terrible logic!

Sure there hasn't been a major injury in all star games but we've only had like 65 all star games. That's a relatively small sample in the grand scheme of things... We see injuries in regular games and exhibition games all the time. It's a chance that players don't want to take. Risk an injury for what.... Bragging rights? Sure, fans might want to see a more intense game, but if somebody from your team (if you even have one) gets injuries, you'd be on the other side of the argument.

I mean.... It's kinda why guys like Bird, Isiah and McHale had a relatively short career compared to KG or Duncan. Sure you'll have a guy like Kareem, Karl or Lebron every once in a while, but you don't just want to assume.... Anything can happen at any time and you as a player/management/coach want to minimize the chances of that happening. It's why someone like Lebron is playing career low in minutes....

Who's to say Larry Bird's career wouldn't have lasted a couple more years had he played less minutes once he hit 30 years old? As a fan, I would enjoy a few more dominant years from Bird much more than a few exhibition games that means absolutely shit.

This is all common sense stuff to anyone with common sense, you obviously have an era agenda that's preventing you from seeing it though... Or you're just trolling. Either way, it has nothing to do with being soft, just athletes minimizing the risk of endangering their career no matter how small the chance.

I mean... One stupid move and you're out of the league. Bynum killed his career because he went bowling..... Kevin Love doing push-ups.... There are enough stupid shit goes around nowadays and shit happens.... So you might as well control the stuff you CAN.

Back to my driving example.... there's always a chance of me getting into an accident when I'm driving, so I'm not gonna increase my risk by talking on the phone, drink/do drugs while driving. It's the same logic with these all star games....

ihatetimthomas
02-15-2016, 10:04 PM
You leave it as is. The moment a player goes hard in the ASG and gets hurt you will hear uproar about why their star is going hard in a meaningless game. There is so much stock and money invested in these players that it makes little sense for them to risk injury. We all want the best in the league to go hard at each other but not worth risk of injury.

Velocirap31
02-15-2016, 10:19 PM
The winning conference gets home court advantage in the NBA Finals, regardless of record.

SouBeachTalents
02-15-2016, 10:21 PM
The winning conference gets home court advantage in the NBA Finals, regardless of record.

So you'd think it'd be fair for the Warriors to break the all time record but lose HCA for the Finals due to the result of an exhibition game?

outbreak
02-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Part of it for me isn't just the on court play it's the whole package.

The entire all star weekend was so poorly done, we got lots of parts where the audio dropped out, or went spanish in one situation, people talking over the announcers and interviews so you can't hear either stream, kevin hart taking over everything. Just felt like such an amateur product.

Don't see how you fix the actual all star game, players don't want to get hurt and that's fine.

GrapeApe
02-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Just get rid of the game. You can still have everything associated with all-star weekend, maybe some added events, an NBA showcase of some kind, some interactive fan stuff, etc.....

The game itself is pointless and ridiculous. It barely resembles basketball, but the main issue is that it's boring. There's no way to make an exhibition game in a contact sport competetive, especially a game that's played mid-season.

bdreason
02-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Nobody liked my idea of the game deciding next years All-Star location?

Velocirap31
02-15-2016, 11:22 PM
So you'd think it'd be fair for the Warriors to break the all time record but lose HCA for the Finals due to the result of an exhibition game?

They will still have HCA throughout the western playoff series.

postmupndunkit
02-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Add 3 4pt racks at half court for the 3pt contest.

Fans get to vote on dunk ideas with the player via text from dunks they already made up... interactive poll.

Skills challenge... add alcohol, tequila specifically :facepalm

Big_Dogg
02-15-2016, 11:57 PM
I'd prefer to have a half court 3v3 pickup tournament, guys till get selected like all stars but teams are picked randomly (by conference) and they play it out until a winner is decided, games would be quick and each player would get time on the court

That's just what I would like to see, others might not

tpols
02-16-2016, 12:34 AM
I would like if it decided who got HCA in the Finals.. only way to make players give a damn.

dhsilv
02-16-2016, 01:04 AM
I've always felt people made WAY too big a deal about All-Star games. They're exhibition games that literally don't mean anything, yet people endlessly debate who should make it, who got snubbed, who should have won MVP etc.

The players involved simply have too much $$ riding on them to risk injury in an absolutely meaningless game. And you guys can say what you want, if a player from your favorite team got hurt yesterday you'd all be singing a different tune.

Bottomline is, these players have everything to lose and nothing to gain by participating in this game, so I can't even blame them for erring on the side of caution.

well it's an award to be an allstar and for ranking players and discussing history it matters. That is why kobe making it these last few years, really hurts the value of that award. It's also used in things like models for projecting a player's likelyhood of going to the hall of fame. That wasn't done randomly, it's just a fact that hall voters look at going to the allstar game when making decisions, so again the award matters. The game doesn't. i've honestly never heard people debate who should win an allstar game MVP more than a day after the game at least.

OldSchoolBBall
02-16-2016, 04:52 AM
You'd have to change today's players back into grown men who were actually competitive.

AintNoSunshine
02-16-2016, 05:28 AM
It's much easier than you thought. Put these bishes pride on the stake. Make the losing team suck a dyk or something.

AintNoSunshine
02-16-2016, 05:32 AM
You'd have to change today's players back into grown men who were actually competitive.

I don't think it's as simple as "they are not competitive", why do you think they compete in the other games?

Even if a player wants to play for real, he doesn't want to be the only one who plays defense while the 9 other guys aren't.

pastis
02-16-2016, 05:33 AM
It's much easier than you thought. Put these bishes pride on the stake. Make the losing team suck a dyk or something.

just because you suck your fathers dick while your mom is watching, doesnt mean that cultivated europeans are doing this as well

AintNoSunshine
02-16-2016, 09:31 AM
just because you suck your fathers dick while your mom is watching, doesnt mean that cultivated europeans are doing this as well
What's your problem?

tomtucker
02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

:biggums: :facepalm ....that will not solve anything, ......what if several players like it, perhaps even does it on a daily basis.......then you got players trying to lose on purpose........think man, think !

:D

Nikola_
02-16-2016, 10:17 AM
has anybody ever got injured in asg? cut the bs. then dont play games becauase u can get injured there too
noboy expects trapping, full court press 100% defense. just play half serious :facepalm

kshutts1
02-16-2016, 10:46 AM
well it's an award to be an allstar and for ranking players and discussing history it matters. That is why kobe making it these last few years, really hurts the value of that award. It's also used in things like models for projecting a player's likelyhood of going to the hall of fame. That wasn't done randomly, it's just a fact that hall voters look at going to the allstar game when making decisions, so again the award matters. The game doesn't. i've honestly never heard people debate who should win an allstar game MVP more than a day after the game at least.
This is my only gripe with the all-star setup we currently have. People think it means something, when it really just means that Player X is popular.

Stop pretending that an all-star selection means anything, and embrace the fun aspect. Hell, even make the game overly ridiculous for all I care; add in some NBA Jam (I think it was) style circles on that court.. you shoot and make it from there, you get the points that it's labeled for.

Truth be told, people watch the Globetrotters because it's entertaining.... let's see how truly talented these NBA players are. Not going to lie, I won't watch that product, nor do I watch now, but at least embrace the entertainment aspect of the game, and celebrate the players that work so hard to get to where they are.

Haymaker
02-16-2016, 10:53 AM
AS games are just the players giving a good show for the fans, nothing else. It becomes competitive to a certain point but the atmosphere should be like it is, loose and fun.

kamil
02-16-2016, 10:57 AM
AS games are just the players giving a good show for the fans, nothing else. It becomes competitive to a certain point but the atmosphere should be like it is, loose and fun.

The fans clearly didn't like their show of dicking around.

Chadwin
02-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Give the winning conference more home games for their out of conference schedule the following season.

bluechox2
02-16-2016, 11:03 AM
losing conference has to wear tight sleeved jerseys for the rest of the year