PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody explain how JR Smith is > Klay Thompson in RPM this year?

TheMarkMadsen
02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
https://twitter.com/CavalyticsNBA/status/699269455298179073

:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: where my advanced stat lovers at, would love to know how the hell this is possible

chips93
02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Jr. has been really good on defense this year, he's underrated by people right now.

Legends66NBA7
02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Klay's defense is overrated from their DPRM.

What do all their advanced stats say by the way ?

Kawhi
02-15-2016, 07:17 PM
According to DRPM, James Harden has defended better this season than Klay Thompson has.

ralph_i_el
JR has been real hot for about a month. Shooting like 44% from 3 on a bunch of attempts. Eventually he'll fall back down to earth

TheMarkMadsen
Klay's defense is overrated from their DPRM.

What do all their advanced stats say by the way ?

not sure, but I'm curious about this RPM thing. I've seen some good posters say this is a really good advanced stat but I'm not sure how JR could rank above Klay

Meticode
02-15-2016, 07:24 PM
That's the trade-off with J.R. Smith. When he's right mentally and locked in, he's an above average wing defender and one of the best bad-shot makers in the league. I don't think Cleveland would be nearly as good if he didn't make a lot of shot clock ending or bail out shots.

But at times he will mentally lapse and make stupid fouls, or because of his reputation he will get fouls called against him that are incorrect. The biggest one was the foul in the Boston game where the Celtics won on a buzzer beater.

I give him credit...he's been avoiding the officials when stupid fouls are called against him. He'll just fold his hands and not say anything to them usually. Which is a ton better than what LeBron does on non-calls.

feyki
02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Klay has 0.5 steals a game this season .

Keno
02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
benefits of playing with lebron. making jr look like an allstar.

buddha
02-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Jr. has been really good on defense this year, he's underrated by people right now.

JR and Tristan are the only guys who play with effort on both sides of the ball for the Cavs.

warriorfan
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Easy, Jr smith is underrated and Klay Thompson is overrated

Keno
02-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Easy, Jr smith is underrated and Klay Thompson is overrated

best 3 point shooter in the league is overrated now? interesting, tell me more.

RedBlackAttack
02-15-2016, 09:26 PM
JR has quietly been really freaking good this year, especially since Kyrie came back. He is shooting 43% from three in that 28-game span.

I thought he absolutely should have been in the Three Point Shootout, but the NBA likes to pretend he doesn't exist so I wasn't surprised when he didn't get the call.

Also, he does some stupid things on the court, but I'm not sure I have seen a player officiated the way he is. If there is a benefit of the doubt given to star players like LeBron, JR gets the absolute opposite treatment.

warriorfan
02-15-2016, 09:27 PM
best 3 point shooter in the league is overrated now? interesting, tell me more.

Yes. Klay Thompson is overrated because he is very one dimensional. That is about all that needs to be said on the subject.

Keno
02-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Yes. Klay Thompson is overrated because he is very one dimensional. That is about all that needs to be said on the subject.

yet jr is underrated because he is the best defender on the team and can play make like lebron, right. tell me what else jr is elite at.

WorldWarriors
02-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Maybe JR has bought into the system the Cavs are trying to implement and has settled into his role. Good for him. I've always been of mind that he gets into trouble when he tries to do too much. He has all the talent in the world but seemed to lack discipline. Good for him.