PDA

View Full Version : Are we currently in the golden age of the NBA?

CJ Mustard
02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Players today are required to be skilled and efficient offensively, and at least solid defensively. One dimensional teams who have to pound it into a big or iso a wing every single possession are no longer prospering. Teams need multiple threats offensively, multiple guys who can dribble, pass, shoot, etc. and multiple guys who can defend multiple positions for PnR defense to succeed. Complete nothings on offense like Mozgov and DeAndre are forced to watch from the bench in crunch time of Playoff games. Liabilities on defense are completely picked apart and exposed and can't really be hidden as much.

I think this is the highest level of basketball I've seen. It will especially be more apparent when Kobe retires, and the inefficient, one-dimension iso star is completely eradicated from our game.

AngelEyes
02-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Players today are required to be skilled and efficient offensively, and at least solid defensively. One dimensional teams who have to pound it into a big or iso a wing every single possession are no longer prospering. Teams need multiple threats offensively, multiple guys who can dribble, pass, shoot, etc. and multiple guys who can defend multiple positions for PnR defense to succeed. Complete nothings on offense like Mozgov and DeAndre are forced to watch from the bench in crunch time of Playoff games. Liabilities on defense are completely picked apart and exposed and can't really be hidden as much.

I think this is the highest level of basketball I've seen. It will especially be more apparent when Kobe retires, and the inefficient, one-dimension iso star is completely eradicated from our game.

James Harden is going to be around for awhile pal.

CJ Mustard
02-15-2016, 09:49 PM
He isn't a star. Solid 6th man I guess. Could've won a ring in OKC if he wasn't terrible in the Finals.

JohnnySic
02-15-2016, 09:50 PM
'84 - '94 was the golden age.

AngelEyes
02-15-2016, 09:52 PM
He isn't a star. Solid 6th man I guess. Could've won a ring in OKC if he wasn't terrible in the Finals.

I don't think he's a star either but he's treated like a star. . . so that means he's a star.

JebronLames
02-15-2016, 09:53 PM
By far the best era ever.

CJ Mustard
02-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I don't think he's a star either but he's treated like a star. . . so that means he's a star.
By the refs maybe. Outside of that, it's pretty common knowledge at this point that he's a number 2 on a team AT BEST (and not a very good team at that).

1987_Lakers
02-15-2016, 09:55 PM
'84 - '94 was the golden age.

'83-'93

But '08-present has been pretty damn good.

Round Mound
02-15-2016, 09:57 PM
'83-'93

But '08-present has been pretty damn good.

:applause:

Marchesk
02-15-2016, 09:59 PM

So is Wiggins.

warriorfan
02-15-2016, 10:03 PM
We are in the age of Steph curry giving the NBA a golden shower

ninephive
02-15-2016, 10:06 PM
...something you would have only thought would have been said about a FMVP.

Spurs m8
02-15-2016, 10:13 PM

And the golden season of last champions fans acting like they've won 6 titles.

warriorfan
02-15-2016, 10:22 PM
And the golden season of last champions fans acting like they've won 6 titles.

you finna act like warriors aint gonna win 6 in the next 10 ? :lol

u picked the wrong bandwagon to jump on with the spurs....shit was on its last wheels

I will still save you a spot on the Golden State bandwagon cause I heard you give good head

CJ Mustard
02-15-2016, 10:29 PM

u picked the wrong bandwagon to jump on with the spurs....shit was on its last wheels

I will still save you a spot on the Golden State bandwagon cause I heard you give good head
:biggums:

SouBeachTalents
02-15-2016, 10:32 PM

:biggums:

NugzFan
02-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Reading this thread makes me realize how many kids post on this forum.

Soundwave
02-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Not even close.

This is more like the Bronze Age.

Golden Age - 1984-1998 Bird, Magic, Jordan, Bad Boy Pistons, Barkley, Shaq Attack, Rodman hair, OJ interrupting Knicks-Rockets Finals, NBA on NBC

Silver Age - 1998-2010 Shaq/Kobe-Gasol/Duncan/Iverson/T-Mac/young Bran.

(Le)Bronze Age - 2010-present. The Heatles, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry/Warriors era.

Lebron23
02-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Not even close.

Golden Age - 1983-1996

Silver Age - 1999-2008

(Le)Bronze Age - 2008-present.

You're so corny. You started hating on LeBron since he won his 2nd Finals MVP in 2013.

Angel Face
02-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Not even close.

Golden Age - 1984-1998 Bird, Magic, Jordan, Bad Boy Pistons, Barkley, Shaq Attack, Rodman hair, OJ interrupting Knicks-Rockets Finals, NBA on NBC

(Le)Bronze Age - 2010-present. The Heatles, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry/Warriors era.

:oldlol:

oh the horror
02-15-2016, 11:23 PM
In an era where we just witnessed an all star game where no one competed and everyone is buddy buddy joining up to play together and players are more into their brand than ever before.....no. I wouldn't call this the golden age. Sorry

Showtime80'
02-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Jesus H Christ!!! This is probably the WORST era for basketball since the 1950's and at least they had the excuse of being pioneers! Today is just a bunch of Buddy buddy AAU nurtured pus!ies who rather join forces with other star players instead of stepping on their necks to win on their own!

Today's players are making the game HARDER on themselves and their teams in general by not developing the basic fundamentals that made past players so lethal. The game has completely deviated from a fundamental skillfull SPORT to just a purely raw athletic SIDESHOW where most players rarely find incentive to develop their skills to their maximum potential and instead rely on physical tools to get them by to the next max contract! Not to mention the fact that the ridiculous number of teams and salaries are turning players who would've been 3rd and 4th options in the 80's into franchise cornerstones in the modern NBA.

The only true minor league the NBA ever had, NCAA basketball, has become insufrrable to watch and players don't even stay long enough to recieve any valuable mentoring instead jumping to the NBA after one year and spend 2 to 3 years developing ON THE JOB further weakening the already diluted product!

It was NOT A COINCIDENCE, that the only TRUE GOLDEN AGE the NBA ever had from 1980 to 1991 also coincided with the greatest period NCAA basketball ever had as well, here are the teams that dominated the landscape during those 11 years:

Showtime Lakers
Bird's Celtics
DR J Sixers
Bad Boy Pistons
North Carolina Tar Heels
Georgetown Hoyas
Running Rebels
Phi Slamma Jamma
Duke Blue Devils

The true SUPERSTAR players of that time period:

Jordan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Isaiah
Olajuwon
Moses
Ewing
Dr J
Barkley
Drexler
Wilkins
Stockton
Malone
Robinson
Mullin

Recount how many great games and TRUE RIVALRIES that time period had:

Lakers-Sixers
Celtics-Sixers
Lakers-Celtics
Celtics-Pistons
Lakers-Pistons
Pistons-Bulls

No period I would say in SPORTS HISTORY had the period the NBA had from 1980 to 1991!!! The style of play was fast, intellegent, fundamental, physical and exhibited EVERY skill you could ever want.

The present NBA is a watered down, weak, soft, borring and basically bastardized version of EVERYTHING that time period brought!

Sorry to the modern fans who never experienced it! Enjoy the next few years were the ONLY skills on display will be shooting layups and jacking 50 3 pointers!

sportjames23
02-16-2016, 01:38 AM

This is the weakest era of NBA basketball I've ever seen. You have two, maybe--MAYBE--three teams that could win it all, the rest are shit. You have guys that can't shoot for shit, you have rules that favor offenses (no hand-checking, defensive three second rule), you have players who'd rather team up than play against the best competition, no real rivalries, ESPN/ABC has the contract, etc.

No, this shit is no where near the golden age. Well, golden age of bitches.

sportjames23
02-16-2016, 01:39 AM
Not even close.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :cheers: