PDA

View Full Version : Laimbeer vs Barkley, Bird, MJ, Parish, Magic

sportjames23
02-16-2016, 02:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZzF88xKkY

That Barkley vs Laimbeer fight was the original Malice at the Palace. Man, I miss shit like this, when we had real rivalries and teams/players hated each other.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:03 AM
That was the apex of basketball. You had to be tough to play. Real rivalries were the result. Teams and cities hating each other. It's cringeworthy how soft the game is today. All that superstar buddy buddy stuff makes me sick. The NBA has taken emotion and physicality out of the game and when you do that, you take away an essential part of the game.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 03:06 AM
Yeah, so tough. Risk getting a career threatening injury for some spilled milk. Why don't you just watch boxing, you savage? :lol

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:13 AM
Pound for pound, Isiah has to be the toughest SOB to ever play. He was just a straight killer and loved getting into fights, throwing haymakers at 7 footers and not giving a f'ck. He just loved going to war. The Pistons don't win sh't without him. He was the heart and soul of that team.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 03:15 AM
Pound for pound, Isiah has to be the toughest SOB to ever play. He was just a straight killer and loved getting into fights, throwing haymakers at 7 footers and not giving a f'ck. He just loved going to war. The Pistons don't win sh't without him. He was the heart and soul of that team.

His game 6 performance in that Pistons Finals loss was legendary but then he couldnt play Game 7 because he took it too far.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:21 AM
Yeah, so tough. Risk getting a career threatening injury for some spilled milk. Why don't you just watch boxing, you savage? :lol

The game was played differently back then. Fighting was the result of the physicality, not the goal. If you were starting to get a little too successful, then the team's resident goon would commit a hard foul to discourage that guy from coming hard the next time. You might call it barbaric when compared to today's Charmin soft era but that's the way it was. It was just played much more physical both in the paint and on the perimeter.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:22 AM
His game 6 performance in that Pistons Finals loss was legendary but then he couldnt play Game 7 because he took it too far.

He sprained his ankle, landing on Coop's feet. That had nothing to do with physicality but just a basketball injury.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 03:23 AM
The game was played differently back then. Fighting was the result of the physicality, not the goal. If you were starting to get a little too successful, then the team's resident goon would commit a hard foul to discourage that guy from coming hard the next time. You might call it barbaric when compared to today's Charmin soft era but that's the way it was. It was just played much more physical both in the paint and on the perimeter.

Yeah and Karl Malone was... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BgSB2aFRP4)

This was crazy.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 03:24 AM
He sprained his ankle, landing on Coop's feet. That had nothing to do with physicality but just a basketball injury.

True. He played through it like a badass but paid for it in the long run.

DaHeezy
02-16-2016, 03:25 AM
That was the apex of basketball. You had to be tough to play. Real rivalries were the result. Teams and cities hating each other. It's cringeworthy how soft the game is today. All that superstar buddy buddy stuff makes me sick. The NBA has taken emotion and physicality out of the game and when you do that, you take away an essential part of the game.

The problem is the same fans like you who praise that behaviour will shit on the same players who play with the same edge today. The players didn't get softer, the new aged fans who facked the game up. Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Rasheed Wallace, Demarcus Cousins....get chastised by fans like you and the league handcuffs them. You ruined them, the league and players didn't change. Kobe played with an edge and arrogance. He hated players. Did you ever praise him? No. So quit getting nolstagic and blame yourself

sportjames23
02-16-2016, 03:26 AM
Just when I thought the Bulls put an end to Bad Boys type basketball, along came some Badder Boys in the Knicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcsNhxezpU

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:30 AM
The problem is the same fans like you who praise that behaviour will shit on the same players who play with the same edge today. The players didn't get softer, the new aged fans who facked the game up. Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Rasheed Wallace, Demarcus Cousins....get chastised by fans like you and the league handcuffs them. You ruined them, the league and players didn't change. Kobe played with an edge and arrogance. He hated players. Did you ever praise him? No. So quit getting nolstagic and blame yourself

The players aren't soft. They will be as physical as the rules will allow them. It's the NBA rules that force the league to be so soft. So it's on the rule makers, not the players. I'm not trying to come across as some nostalgic guy bashing today's era. I love the NBA today but it is way too soft and I think most people will agree. You have to let grown men bang a little.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 03:32 AM
The players aren't soft. They will be as physical as the rules will allow them. It's the NBA rules that force the league to be so soft. So it's on the rule makers, not the players. I'm not trying to come across as some nostalgic guy bashing today's era. I love the NBA today but it is way too soft and I think most people will agree. You have to let grown men bang a little.

Fair enough. A middle-ground would be best but I prefer seeing skills to freakish bullying.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Fair enough. A middle-ground would be best but I prefer seeing skills to freakish bullying.

The game is very specialized today, mostly based on 3 pt shooting, spacing and p&r. Gone is the post game and midrange game. In the past, most great scorers got their points that way. Not today. You can't say this era is the most skilled when most guys lack the footwork to operate out of the post or devastate you from the midrange because you also need great footwork to be a great midrange scorer. Footwork is such a fundamental part of the game and it's lacking today.

It's all about the 3 today. From 1-5, every position looks to shoot the 3. Way too specialized.

Bawkish
02-16-2016, 03:48 AM
Gone were the intensity come playoffs, where games can pass up for a pay-per-view

just look at '90s Eastern Conference Playoffs (Heat-Knicks, Bulls-Knicks, Pistons-Bulls, Pacers-Knicks, Bulls-Heat)

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 04:00 AM
Gone were the intensity come playoffs, where games can pass up for a pay-per-view

just look at '90s Eastern Conference Playoffs (Heat-Knicks, Bulls-Knicks, Pistons-Bulls, Pacers-Knicks, Bulls-Heat)

Those were great series and I agree this last playoffs sucked but Heat/Pacers during the Heatles era along with Heat/Spurs I were very good contests. Heat/Spurs I may be the best series of all-time and that was 3 seasons ago.

MiseryCityTexas
02-16-2016, 04:08 AM
Just when I thought the Bulls put an end to Bad Boys type basketball, along came some Badder Boys in the Knicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcsNhxezpU

Knicks aren't the "Badder Boys" if Charles Smith got his shot blocked four times in a row in the fourth quarter by Horace Grant in the play-offs.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 04:10 AM
One thing today's game has over any other era is optimal spacing. It was a lot more congested back in the days. The p&r game is also superb today because that's what most teams run.

The perfect brand of bball would be the physicality, post game and midrange game of the 80's/90's with today's optimal spacing, p&r efficiency and 3 point efficiency.

sportjames23
02-16-2016, 04:16 AM
Knicks aren't the "Badder Boys" if Charles Smith got his shot blocked four times in a row in the fourth quarter by Horace Grant in the play-offs.

He got stripped/blocked by MJ, Horace and then Scottie. Any other player would've had the same thing happen to them if the Dobermans were unleashed on them, too.

DoctorP
02-16-2016, 04:18 AM
One thing today's game has over any other era is optimal spacing. It was a lot more congested back in the days. The p&r game is also superb today because that's what most teams run.

The perfect brand of bball would be the physicality, post game and midrange game of the 80's/90's with today's optimal spacing, p&r efficiency and 3 point efficiency.

I agree with you here and that's what I mean by a fine "middle-ground".

BTW These hack-era's made Jordan the tough SOB he ended up being.

plowking
02-16-2016, 04:19 AM

Midrange game has gradually gotten better statistically. But we'll take your word over facts.

And the days where guys could knock each other out and shoot each other was even better. 90's was soft because you couldn't duel wield weapons, which makes it a pucci era.

1987_Lakers
02-16-2016, 04:30 AM

I bet in most of those games teams didn't even crack 85 points. Boring ISO basketball played at an extremely low pace.

ClipperRevival
02-16-2016, 04:34 AM
I love the story about Isiah when he was a kid and some kid kept beating him up, he ran home looking for sympathy from his mom and she said, "you have to go back out there and fight him." This is on the 30 for 30 doc.

Similiar situatiom with Bill Russell. Kids were beating him up and he ran home to his mom, looking for sympathy. She forced Russell to fight all of those kids one by one. This is from the Russell's House doc.

Both these guys were all time great killers. These situations aren't coincidence.

aj1987
02-16-2016, 06:44 AM
I bet in most of those games teams didn't even crack 85 points. Boring ISO basketball played at an extremely low pace.
:oldlol:

People in this thread have accounts with thousands of posts which are just a few years old about a boring and soft game. Stop watching the game if you think it's "soft".

I do however agree that the refs should let the players vent their emotions a bit. Like yelling and stuff. Not fighting though. Dude's are getting T'd up for clapping angrily. :facepalm

'11 Heat vs Bulls. '12 Heat vs Pacers/Celtics. '13 Heat vs Pacers. '14 Heat vs Pacers.

Why does physicality in a game matter that much? '13 Finals was absolutely amazing and fun to watch, but it didn't involve any cheap shots or players getting into fights. The Heat and the Spurs had massive amount of mutual respect and just played the game instead of doing stupid shit.

Bawkish
02-16-2016, 11:51 AM
:oldlol:

People in this thread have accounts with thousands of posts which are just a few years old about a boring and soft game. Stop watching the game if you think it's "soft".

I do however agree that the refs should let the players vent their emotions a bit. Like yelling and stuff. Not fighting though. Dude's are getting T'd up for clapping angrily. :facepalm

'11 Heat vs Bulls. '12 Heat vs Pacers/Celtics. '13 Heat vs Pacers. '14 Heat vs Pacers.

Why does physicality in a game matter that much? '13 Finals was absolutely amazing and fun to watch, but it didn't involve any cheap shots or players getting into fights. The Heat and the Spurs had massive amount of mutual respect and just played the game instead of doing stupid shit.

I remember during 1992 playoffs between Bulls vs. Knicks where the Knicks were down 0-2, X.McDaniel was asked how can they come back and he said, "Hey, this is a man's game, were not gonna let them do anything they want". Sometimes the passion for the game come at high emotional levels so intensity is heightened and during these times the competition becomes more evident. Not that im saying the ones you mentioned were not but in those times mutual respect was earned by how will you be able to stand against tough competition mentally and also physically.

jongib369
02-16-2016, 12:25 PM
This is how I like to play... Onetime a guy drove on me and purposefully rammed his shoulder into my face. Didn't faze me too much thoufh my nose was bleeding. The next play I set a HARD screen on him that put his ass to the floor. Looked him straight in the eyes and said "pull that shit again I'll stomp your face in"

Guy got shook, didn't play as hard, missed the rest of his shots, and I got a shit ton of rebounds.

:lol

houston
02-16-2016, 12:49 PM
the game is better today

Showtime80'
02-16-2016, 02:19 PM
The modern NBA has NO RIVALRIES!!! Just a bunch of facebook buddy-buddy, young fundamentally flawed raw athletes trying to play the sport of basketball!

No thanks!

Those guys in the 80's were beasts, the last generation of players to develop fundamentals, skill and basketball IQ before everything else. That's why it was the peak decade not to mention they were competitive ANIMALS to boot willing to run over their own mothers to win a title. The league was full of sharks in the 80's, now it's infested with a bunch of pus!ies!

The game went away from the basics the mid 90's and you still see the effects today. The focus on raw "Be Like Mike" athleticism has ruined the quality of players and the overall game.

And like I always say, NO RIVALRIES IN THE MODERN NBA!!!

stalkerforlife
02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Damn...Laimbeer phucked up Barkley.

stalkerforlife
02-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Magic and the other Laker wanted no part of Laimbeer...ahahahaha