PDA

View Full Version : Making the case of Dwyane Wade being more explosive than Westbrook

sammichoffate
02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Wade has some of the best poster dunks in history and can get to the basket just as well as WB does when he was younger. WB can accelerate/decelerate on a dime better while Wade was more fluid. Thoughts?

Fallen Angel
02-16-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't think more posters is a great representation of who's more explosive.

Wade is known for having freakish reach because of his longer arms. There's a 3 inch difference between Wade and Westbrook in terms of wingspan and obviously a 1 inch difference between their height.

feyki
02-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Wade has far longer arms .

34-24 Footwork
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Great topic. I don't think Wade got enough credit for how athletic he was. He was definitely among one of the most explosive 2 footed jumpers I've ever seen. The baseline spin 2 handed poster on kendrick Perkins comes to mind.

Theres usually someone at the rim to meet Wade.....no one is even in the picture when Westbrook dunks. He gets there before EVERYONE.

Wade is sneaky athletic.

EVERYONE KNOWS Westbrook is explosive but they aren't quick enough to react to it.

I enjoy Wades poster dunks more than Westbrooks power dunks.

34-24 Footwork
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
From a physiological standpoint, Westbrook has always been leaner than Wade. Wade carrying more muscle makes him naturally heavier when leaving the ground. The Westbrooks and Terrance Rosses of the world are definitely sub 6% bodyfat.

On a side note, I personally think that Shannon Brown deserves consideration in this conversation too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtKBR5b08o

Pointguard
02-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I mention Wade athleticism in the Westbrook thread. Wade is more lithe, stealthy, stronger and has more agility. I'm pretty sure he's faster as well. Doesn't have the explosion. Dunks more because of his length. The strength, length and physicality allows him more access to the rim. In his prime, he could do more because he knew how you use his body near the max.

I give Iverson a lot of credit because he was most durable of the bunch and took more of a pounding than anyone. He also had way more stop/go explode slow, quickness, speed, jumping things going on.

FKAri
02-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Wade had a better reach and far better body control.

Westbrook's explosion + better body control = pre-injury Rose

robby712
02-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Wade had a better reach and far better body control.

Westbrook's explosion + better body control = pre-injury Rose

I disagree, I think prime Wade had better body control than Westbrook. I really think Russ is a smaller version of 06-10 Lebron. Strong, fast, explosive, hard dunks and a streaky jumper. Idk, Wade had a finesse to his game that Westbrook doesn't have. Actually, I would only put Jordan's movement and elegance above Wade's. He had that ability to slide past defenders like he was just floating and the other guys were stuck in the mud. He would cut corners so sharp, but his moves weren't brutal, like Westbrook or James, instead he had precise control of his body and fluid movement on every step, like Jordan had. And then when you least expect it he would just explode at the rim. Too bad his knees gave out. Prime Wade is definitely underrated.

// Sorry if I understood poorly, I read your second row and understood that you believe Russ has better body control.

Spurs m8
02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
**** Wade.

And **** this thread.

BasedTom
02-16-2016, 04:09 PM
**** Wade.

And **** this thread.
lol keep crying bitch

**** you

IncarceratedBob
02-16-2016, 04:12 PM
yall ever heard of Darwin? it's called Evolution

GrapeApe
02-16-2016, 04:14 PM
**** Wade.

And **** this thread.

Yet you not only opened the thread, a thread that you apparently don't care about, you were compelled to make a post.

scm5
02-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Westbrook is more explosive. He speeds up faster and takes off faster. That's explosiveness.

Wade however, is right there with Westbrook in terms of athleticism. Wade had more weight on him throughout his career, yet could probably match Westbrook down the court in speed and leap as high as Westbrook. I would say Wade's body control is superior to Westbrook's.

GrapeApe
02-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Westbrook is more explosive. He speeds up faster and takes off faster. That's explosiveness.

Wade however, is right there with Westbrook in terms of athleticism. Wade had more weight on him throughout his career, yet could probably match Westbrook down the court in speed and leap as high as Westbrook. I would say Wade's body control is superior to Westbrook's.

Wade never jumped as high as Westbrook, but his body control was Jordanesque. Wade had an uncanny ability to maintain agility through his leap. Most players lose some body control when they leave the floor. I've never seen a player have so many strong finishes after an awkward launch.

#number6ix#
02-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Wade is just as explosive as Westbrook the difference in the two is their approach to using it...

Westbrook is always going as hard as he can which is why seems like he's out of control more times than not...

Wade uses gears meaning he'll purposely slow down just to accelerate and blow by the defender

Pointguard
02-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Wade never jumped as high as Westbrook, but his body control was Jordanesque. Wade had an uncanny ability to maintain agility through his leap. Most players lose some body control when they leave the floor. I've never seen a player have so many strong finishes after an awkward launch.
Rose might have Wade. Rose leaps off the wrong foot and can still reverse the layup on the other side of the rim... spontaneously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp97Ogk1a0Q Only Jordan can do that move and its one of the few reverses I haven't seen MJ do. I do admit that Wade is one of the few that can correct himself in the air.

Smoke117
02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Yet you not only opened the thread, a thread that you apparently don't care about, you were compelled to make a post.

That's Kawhi for you...

Westbrook is more explosive...but Wade is the better finisher with his longer limbs and far superior body control. Wade is much, much more explosive off the dribble though...he has always had an elite first step...can't really say the same about Westbrook. He's like Lebron...once he gets going he's pretty much unstoppable, but he doesn't have the first step or ball handling creativity that Wade did to pretty much get to the basket at will in the half court.

Spurs m8
02-16-2016, 05:09 PM
lol keep crying bitch

**** you

No ones crying, just saying how shit this kunt is, overrated as ****....almost as embarrassing as Kobe some games this season.

Without steroids, this bloke would be nothing.

Kind of like Bron without steroids and Ray Allan

Smoke117
02-16-2016, 05:11 PM
No ones crying, just saying how shit this kunt is, overrated as ****....almost as embarrassing as Kobe some games this season.

Without steroids, this bloke would be nothing.

Kind of like Bron without steroids and Ray Allan

Settle down...:oldlol: You seem legitimately angry with Wade...let me guess...Kawhi Leonard right now is better than Wade ever was right?

Pointguard
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM
That's Kawhi for you...

Westbrook is more explosive...but Wade is the better finisher with his longer limbs and far superior body control. Wade is much, much more explosive off the dribble though...he has always had an elite first step...can't really say the same about Westbrook. He's like Lebron...once he gets going he's pretty much unstoppable, but he doesn't have the first step or ball handling creativity of Wade did to pretty much get to the basket at will in the half court.

Westbrook hits the hole as good as anybody because he has a good first step and probably the best "second step" in the league. I think his first step is as good as Wade's but Wade's is more effective because he takes a giant step with his, much like Iverson did. Iverson's first step was so effective you often see him use it twice in the same drive. Part of this was because his second step wasn't as strong.

derb2k2
02-16-2016, 05:22 PM
I understand that my dawg Wade is maybe nearing the end of his career but damn, can we stop using "he was". He's still playing and playing good for f***s sake! :biggums:

GrapeApe
02-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Rose might have Wade. Rose leaps off the wrong foot and can still reverse the layup on the other side of the rim... spontaneously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp97Ogk1a0Q Only Jordan can do that move and its one of the few reverses I haven't seen MJ do. I do admit that Wade is one of the few that can correct himself in the air.

Pre-injury Rose is right there with the best. No question. He's another one where leaping awkwardly or being in the air are mere inconveniences to finishing his move.

Mass Debator
02-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Using pre draft measurements combined with the eye test:

- Wade and Westbrook has identical 3/4 court sprint speed. In reality, I can confirm that they both look super fast at top speed.

- Wade had a slightly better time in the agility department. After Wade's weight gain, I suspect Westbrook would edge him out prime for prime.

- Westbrook posted a better bench press measurement. To my eyes, I think naturally Westbrook is stronger from the waist up but Wade is stronger from the waist down. After Wade's weight gain, I'm pretty confident Wade can assert more force as demonstrated in his back-to-basket post play.

- Westbrook had a higher max vertical but with Wade's length/height, Wade's highest max vertical reach is still a bit higher. I have no problem with anyone saying Westbrook has increased his max reach or Wade weight has lowered his.

- Wade's no step vertical reach is only 3.5" lower than his max reach. Westbrook's is 6.5" lower. To me, this shows Wade has more instant explosiveness anywhere on the court. Westbrook is more explosive on the move.

Overall, they both are very very similar athletically, but Wade's length helps him more in actual basketball confines (not talking skills). Style of play separates them more than actual athleticism. Westbrook is like a master samurai. Wade is more like an master ninja...or something like that. lol

Pointguard
02-16-2016, 05:50 PM

- Wade and Westbrook has identical 3/4 court sprint speed. In reality, I can confirm that they both look super fast at top speed.

- Wade had a slightly better time in the agility department. After Wade's weight gain, I suspect Westbrook would edge him out prime for prime.

- Westbrook posted a better bench press measurement. To my eyes, I think naturally Westbrook is stronger from the waist up but Wade is stronger from the waist down. After Wade's weight gain, I'm pretty confident Wade can assert more force as demonstrated in his back-to-basket post play.

- Westbrook had a higher max vertical but with Wade's length/height, Wade's highest max vertical reach is still a bit higher. I have no problem with anyone saying Westbrook has increased his max reach or Wade weight has lowered his.

- Wade's no step vertical reach is only 3.5" lower than his max reach. Westbrook's is 6.5" lower. To me, this shows Wade has more instant explosiveness anywhere on the court. Westbrook is more explosive on the move.

Overall, they both are very very similar athletically, but Wade's length helps him more in actual basketball confines (not talking skills). Style of play separates them more than actual athleticism. Westbrook is like a master samurai. Wade is more like an master ninja...or something like that. lol
Agility is something Westbrook suffers a bit in comparison with Allen Iverson and Rose. Once Westbrook stops his balance throws him off. The recup isn't even like Wade's. Rose defends Westbrook by using his girth to knock him off balance early and Westbrook rarely recuperates unless he had momentum early. In a straight line I think Westbrook is the best. I think that's what people like about him. He keeps it simple. He doesn't stop and go or bend or contort in the air like Wade.

imdaman99
02-16-2016, 05:51 PM
I feel like Wade can shift gears better. Westbrook only goes 1 speed. If he were to work on a stop and go, he would be unstoppable.

Akhenaten
02-16-2016, 06:01 PM
nigguhs musta forgot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/waded_medium_zpsu2bx2rdi.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/wade1wmviq8.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/wadeshitonLakes.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/flight.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/unreal.gif

theaussieguy
02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
wade was effortless, he got up so easy in his prime so it equated to being able to dunk in more elaborate ways. Even though Wade had a POVERTY 35 inch vertical, he had very long arms so it still meant he could dunk with ease unlike westbrook.

feyki
02-16-2016, 06:12 PM

This is proof of West is more explosive .

Wade is(actually was ) more agile and stronger , also taller , than West . But West has top speed,vertical leap and explosiveness .

So , i can say ; West is Ninja , Wade is Samurai .

JohnMax
02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Wade seems to have more of a first-step quickness and explosiveness.

ralph_i_el
02-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Prime Wade was significantly larger than WB