PDA

View Full Version : The Allure of One on One Basketball

34-24 Footwork
02-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I have respect for players that are known for their facilitation like Bird, Lebron, Nash, Magic, Kidd, Rondo and etc.

But what is it about guys like MJ, Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas, TMAC, Kobe, Kyrie, Curry, Tim and Penny Hardaway and etc?

Don

ralph_i_el
02-17-2016, 12:09 PM
It takes a rare type of player to be effective 1-on-1 at the NBA level.

Good ball movement is very entertaining. 1-on-1 ball is as well, when it works. Otherwise it's very ugly.

It's fine to watch 1-on-1 when it's MJ or Kobe.....but when it's Jordan Crawford :facepalm not so much

Fallen Angel
02-17-2016, 12:10 PM
OP has great taste

Segatti
02-17-2016, 12:17 PM
If I wanted to see boring ball movement I'd watch Euroleague. Hero ball is the best.

90sgoat
02-17-2016, 12:20 PM
It's because every kid begins out playing one on one on the playground.

Also because in close games on the line offensive sets break down and you need someone to make a play out of nothing.

ralph_i_el
02-17-2016, 12:29 PM
It's because every kid begins out playing one on one on the playground.

Also because in close games on the line offensive sets break down and you need someone to make a play out of nothing.

Not for disciplined teams. CP3's Hornets routinely overperformed in crunchtime because they ran their sets instead of giving up and playing hero ball.

Spurs don't play hero ball....

90sgoat
02-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Spurs don't play hero ball....

No, but they dump the ball to Duncan or set up a screen for Parker.

Of course the Kobe/Lebron/Iverson pound the ball then do contested fadeaway from 3 is not an effective 1 on 1 play.

ralph_i_el
02-17-2016, 12:36 PM

Of course the Kobe/Lebron/Iverson pound the ball then do contested fadeaway from 3 is not an effective 1 on 1 play.

You know as well as I do that dumping it in the post or running a PnR isn't the only action happening at that point. That's just a way to initiate movement and break down the D.

Teams use ball-movement because it's more effective than 1-on-1. It blows my mind when teams stop using their most efficient style of offense when the game is on the line.

ShawkFactory
02-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Like others have said, it's definitely entertaining when done effectively.

But even the greats sometimes make the game easier for the opposing defense by doing this too much.

Either way, different strokes. Obviously there's other very effective ways to play.

34-24 Footwork
02-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Hmmm...

I would argue that based on whose actually handling the ball in the last seconds. Too much dribbling, whether during a set play or ISO, is probably a bad idea. Getting the last shot and missing is still better than turning the ball over.

Chadwin
02-17-2016, 12:55 PM
You said it. There are no excuses in 1v1 iso play.

HylianNightmare
02-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Why Iverson was my favorite growing up. Everyone named in OP was amazing to watch isolate. Joe Johnson and Paul pierce too

FKAri
02-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Sports is a metaphor for life. Weak minded people* like the idea of one guy to be a hero and save them from their problems. Even though neither life nor basketball work like that.

*See OP