PDA

View Full Version : Woj: HOU trade Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton to DET for Joel Anthony...

Legends66NBA7
02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA

Houston has traded Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton to the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell @TheVertical

In deal, Detroit will send Joel Anthony and a protected 2016 first-round pick to the Rockets, league sources tell @TheVertical

Pistons getting depth.

Mass Debator
02-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Works out pretty good for both teams.

Haymaker
02-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Is Donut still injured?

senelcoolidge
02-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I didn't know Joel Anthony was still in the league.

Thorpesaurous
02-18-2016, 01:26 PM
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA

Pistons getting depth.

Not knowing the money off the top of my head, I'd say that's a good deal for Detroit. Not only depth, but it starts to give them some real lineup flexibility where they can play in a few different ways depending on the need at the time.

Goro
02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Svg!

BurningHammer
02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Stan Van is wheeling and dealing :rockon: :bowdown:

MP.Trey
02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
SVG stay makin' a killing.

Optimus Prime
02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Joel Anthony is still in the league? Who knew? :kobe:

Sounds like Houston is blowing it up. They traded depth for basically cap relief and a protected pick.

SwishSquared
02-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Not knowing the money off the top of my head, I'd say that's a good deal for Detroit. Not only depth, but it starts to give them some real lineup flexibility where they can play in a few different ways depending on the need at the time.D-Mo's been hurt all year basically and he's a RFA this summer. Rockets didn't want to pay both of T-Jones and D-Mo, and apparently SVG has been a big fan of D-Mo's. I think this will bolster bench depth and give them another option in case of hacking Drummond. Last year he was really nice offensively, even flashing a 3 point shot.

Small ball starting lineup and big ball bench unit seems to be a good strategy.

Just wonder what those protections are. If it's lotto protected, Houston maybe got a nice deal here. Detroit is just outside the playoff picture I think. I wouldn't be shocked though if it's protected like 1-10 and 20-30.

r0drig0lac
02-18-2016, 01:31 PM
SVG :bowdown:

jayfan
02-18-2016, 01:31 PM
The 1st rounder is only top 8 protected. Could be a bad deal for Detroit.

bluechox2
02-18-2016, 01:34 PM
props to detroit for making 2 amazing trades

bluechox2
02-18-2016, 01:35 PM

hows it bad when they got a team built for the playoffs the next couple years

SwishSquared

.Fantastic trade by Houston then, especially since they didn't want to sign him this summer for too much and he's dealing with a fairly serious injury.

Ariza4three
Stan the Man. :bowdown:

SwishSquared
02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
hows it bad when they got a team built for the playoffs the next couple yearsTheir 14th in the standings right now. If DMo remains hurt hurt and their lack of a backup PG hurts them enough, they could struggle.

I don't think Detroit's 1st will be higher than like 16th this season. Trading a banged up DMo just months from RFA for a late lotto/mid 1st is a good trade imo.

jayfan
02-18-2016, 01:38 PM
hows it bad when they got a team built for the playoffs the next couple years

They're no cinch for the playoffs. It's a flawed team. Weak at the 1, poor shooting, poor defense.

$LakerGold
02-18-2016, 01:48 PM
They're no cinch for the playoffs. It's a flawed team. Weak at the 1, poor shooting, poor defense.

They have a long way to go, but they're on the right track ever since SVG took over. Also wouldn't be surprised if they ended up 7th-8th seed w/ Al Jefferson at Mars right now, Kemba & Batum can't hold that spot forever. CHA's likely to miss this season, I think. I would be excited if I were a Piston fan, they'll be battle tested in the playoffs while I do agree their shooting needs to improve.

Levity
02-18-2016, 01:48 PM
this move definitely improves their shooting. and if meeks gets healthy this season, theyll have some decent shooters, albeit tiny, in their backcourt.

I think tobias will be very beneficial to this team too. lots of versatility that ersan couldnt provide, and even more importantly, consistency. In my opinion, theyre making the playoffs.

there were rumors they wanted augustine back. but with the deadline in two hours, thats not too likely. Still, if i were SVG, id call MEM to gauge what they would want for chalmers.

DeuceWallaces
02-18-2016, 01:55 PM
SVG !

:hammertime:

SwishSquared
02-18-2016, 02:01 PM
this move definitely improves their shooting. and if meeks gets healthy this season, theyll have some decent shooters, albeit tiny, in their backcourt.

I think tobias will be very beneficial to this team too. lots of versatility that ersan couldnt provide, and even more importantly, consistency. In my opinion, theyre making the playoffs.

there were rumors they wanted augustine back. but with the deadline in two hours, thats not too likely. Still, if i were SVG, id call MEM to gauge what they would want for chalmers.I think they're looking at Foye, too, but OKC maybe beat them to the punch.

I think they're losing that pick this year and it's going to likely fall in the 13-16 range. That means Houston gave up D-Mo for a shot at Korkmaz/Luwawu/Valentine. I like that trade for them, especially if they didn't want to sign Donuts this summer. I like it even more if the Rox miss the playoffs and keep their own pick.

zeerghit
02-18-2016, 02:25 PM
if dmo can stay healthy this is robery, hes great shooter, amazing post game, good and most important willing passer, he actually very good help defender, awful rebounder and i mean it AWFUL

LilEddyCurry
02-18-2016, 02:35 PM
SVG is committing high way robbery! :applause:

Fallen Angel
02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
If Morey doesn't redeem himself in the next 90 minutes I'm gonna end myself

dunksby
02-18-2016, 02:47 PM
SVG prepping up for a deep run in the east :applause:

Chadwin
02-18-2016, 04:18 PM
If Morey doesn't redeem himself in the next 90 minutes I'm gonna end myself

RIP

CarlosBoozer
02-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Morey is blowing it up, SVG with an awesome trade! I remember Dmo being on fire for a good period of games, great offensive weapon.

JohnFreeman
02-18-2016, 08:55 PM
SVG is doing a great job

boozehound
02-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Joel Anthony is still in the league? Who knew? :kobe:

Sounds like Houston is blowing it up. They traded depth for basically cap relief and a protected pick.
yeah, its not a real protection (top 8). The pistons would have to lose every single remaining game to fall that low this year (hyperbole, but you get the point).

bobopenguin
02-19-2016, 01:31 AM
rockets fans, hold this L.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/58055808.jpg

Euroleague
02-19-2016, 10:36 PM
if dmo can stay healthy this is robery, hes great shooter, amazing post game, good and most important willing passer, he actually very good help defender, awful rebounder and i mean it AWFUL

He's softer than butter. He has all the tools, but you can't fix a guy that is that uber soft.

Fallen Angel
02-20-2016, 01:52 AM
Stop it. You know nothing about Motiejunas.

When was the last time you watched him because he's been with the Rockets since 2012-13.

Sakkreth
02-20-2016, 05:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGftuPY-Bc

embersyc
02-20-2016, 08:19 AM
yeah, its not a real protection (top 8). The pistons would have to lose every single remaining game to fall that low this year (hyperbole, but you get the point).

They only need to get to .400 to keep the pick. They are well on their way following last night's loss to the Wizards.

dunksby
02-20-2016, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGftuPY-Bc
But he soft as butter :no:

Euroleague
02-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Stop it. You know nothing about Motiejunas.

When was the last time you watched him because he's been with the Rockets since 2012-13.

He's as soft as Charmin. Anyone saying otherwise is a freaking moron.

Euroleague
02-21-2016, 09:28 PM
But he soft as butter :no:

Bad rebounder, no defense, thinks he's a 3 point shooter, and wants to stand there all game if he can. Body is made out of GLASS.

SOFT AS FREAKING HELL.

zeerghit
02-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Bad rebounder, no defense, thinks he's a 3 point shooter, and wants to stand there all game if he can. Body is made out of GLASS.

SOFT AS FREAKING HELL.
how is new "sabonis" doing? dominating? moron?

SexSymbol
02-22-2016, 04:53 AM
He's softer than butter. He has all the tools, but you can't fix a guy that is that uber soft.
He hasn't shown any sign of softness over his career

dunksby
02-22-2016, 04:57 AM

SOFT AS FREAKING HELL.
So basically you don't know what you are talking about?

embersyc
02-22-2016, 08:33 AM
This trade still not official. Pistons have to today to finish examining Motiejunas medical records.

Sakkreth
02-22-2016, 09:58 AM
About D-Mo being soft and no defense :roll:

http://www.red94.net/donatas-motiejunas-currently-7th-best-rim-protector-league/14744/#
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/4/7332039/houston-rockets-defense-breakdown-nba-2014

Kawhi
02-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Houston's 3-team trade of Donatas Motiejunas is in process of being voided by Detroit in accordance with the NBA, sources tell The Vertical.

Awful news for Rockets. No first round pick, over luxury tax, another team determines he has long-term back issues.

No deal.

Fallen Angel
02-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Well...shit.

Legends66NBA7
02-22-2016, 03:20 PM
That's a bummer for both teams.

Fallen Angel
02-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Not really bad news for the Rockets.

We hated that deal. Even if Motiejunas could have back issues that could take longer than needed to recover from, his value as a RFA has decreased from this and will be a cheaper sign for the Rockets to keep him.

Losing Marcus Thornton must be rough for the Pistons.

Smook A.
02-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Dammit I really wanted that top 8 pick

Sakkreth
02-22-2016, 03:48 PM
John Schuhmann
‏@johnschuhmann
So the Rockets are left w/ 2 guys (Lawson, Howard) who know HOU wanted to trade 'em, & 2 who actually were traded. Fun times.

Rockets :facepalm

bobopenguin
02-22-2016, 08:42 PM
http://www.markeithbraden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/No-More-Excuses.jpg

no excuse for u guys not being in WCF again this year.

Euroleague
02-22-2016, 09:44 PM
So basically you don't know what you are talking about?

No, it means I've actually seen him play before, unlike you.

Euroleague
02-22-2016, 09:45 PM
how is new "sabonis" doing? dominating? moron?

Kreso Cosic > Arvydas Sabonis.

Euroleague
02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
About D-Mo being soft and no defense :roll:

http://www.red94.net/donatas-motiejunas-currently-7th-best-rim-protector-league/14744/#
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/4/7332039/houston-rockets-defense-breakdown-nba-2014

Using the Rockets fan base as a source. The same fan base that claimed James Harden was the world's best player.....................

Yeah, you're not a troll or anything....

SwishSquared
02-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Not really bad news for the Rockets.

We hated that deal. Even if Motiejunas could have back issues that could take longer than needed to recover from, his value as a RFA has decreased from this and will be a cheaper sign for the Rockets to keep him.

Losing Marcus Thornton must be rough for the Pistons.That deal nearly guaranteed you a mid first round pick, could have tanked your team back into keeping your own first, trimmed your tax bill, and provided slightly more cap room this summer for a '17 Denver 2nd round pick & a banged up big man looking to get a big deal. That deal was a great move for you guys.

Fallen Angel
02-22-2016, 11:56 PM
That deal nearly guaranteed you a mid first round pick, could have tanked your team back into keeping your own first, trimmed your tax bill, and provided slightly more cap room this summer for a '17 Denver 2nd round pick & a banged up big man looking to get a big deal. That deal was a great move for you guys.
This is a weak draft class, whoever we would have drafted would immediate be sent down to the Vipers. I'd rather have Motiejunas and the potential of him returning 100%.

It's either draft an unknown in the mid-first round who may or may not develop into a NBA starter or stick with the developed NBA starter and hope he recovers from his injury.

Honestly, what does a mid-first round pick mean to Detroit? They already have a bunch of youth, they should have waived D-Mo's physical and kept him as a RFA and kept Marcus Thornton as a shooter who can play with Reggie Jackson.

The Rockets have plenty of players 26 and under to build around: James Harden, Clint Capela, K.J. McDaniels, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas. We're not worried about bringing in more prospects as we are actually building a cohesive team.

We're already likely to keep our own pick the way we've been playing, so the Rockets shouldn't be worried about having a first round pick.

SwishSquared
02-23-2016, 12:42 AM
This is a weak draft class, whoever we would have drafted would immediate be sent down to the Vipers. I'd rather have Motiejunas and the potential of him returning 100%.

It's either draft an unknown in the mid-first round who may or may not develop into a NBA starter or stick with the developed NBA starter and hope he recovers from his injury.

Honestly, what does a mid-first round pick mean to Detroit? They already have a bunch of youth, they should have waived D-Mo's physical and kept him as a RFA and kept Marcus Thornton as a shooter who can play with Reggie Jackson.

The Rockets have plenty of players 26 and under to build around: James Harden, Clint Capela, K.J. McDaniels, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas. We're not worried about bringing in more prospects as we are actually building a cohesive team.

We're already likely to keep our own pick the way we've been playing, so the Rockets shouldn't be worried about having a first round pick.You guys aren't particularly high on either Jones or D-MO, let alone both. I do think D-Mo is a very capable offensive big man, particularly off the bench. I think it's very possible that D-Mo and his agent want a big contract this summer, and that's why Morey was willing to part with him for a mid first. Jones' value has sunk a lot this year, but he's young and still has potential.

Capela is a stud and we haven't seen much of Dekker/Harrell yet. McDaniels is a great NBA athlete, but if he doesn't learn how to shoot consistently or play disciplined defense he won't be more than a 4th wing.

This draft has a couple strong prospects at the top and there is a good opportunity in the 10-20 range to take domestic or international rotation wings that will be bargain-priced going forward. That type of player at 1% of the salary cap will provide great value imo, especially since the CBA (and rookie-scale contracts) may be amended before the 2017 draft. You guys need wings who can shoot and/or defend that are young enough to be still be good the rest of Harden's prime. I'm not convinced McDaniels or Dekker are the answer there.

Just so you know- most people with D-Mo's particular back issue have future problems. Morey knows this and probably factored in his decision to trade him.