PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Whiteside has 21 assists in the past 2 seasons

Milbuck
02-19-2016, 02:35 AM
21 assists in 2 seasons. Cousins had 28 assists in the week before the all-star game.

0.2 assists per game, 0.4 per 36

:biggums:

kamil
02-19-2016, 02:36 AM
LOL. That can't be true.

BasedTom
02-19-2016, 02:38 AM
His career high is 2.

Spurs m8
It actually is LMAO

Been saying he's a scrub.

Selective on D too, just too focused on his block stats tbh

1987_Lakers
That is pretty insane, I don't think I've ever seen a player average 0.2 APG while playing 25+ MPG.

Milbuck
02-19-2016, 02:39 AM
His career high is 2.
:roll:

TemporaMutantur
02-19-2016, 02:58 AM
They are probably accidental assists too, such as giving up the ball when you're locked down in the post and you pass it out and someone happens to hit a lucky shot as the clock is running down.

Kblaze8855
02-19-2016, 03:05 AM
Yinka Dare had 22 assists in 2 seasons of college and 4 seasons in the nba...combined(granted he was hurt one year and barely played another). He had 4 assists to 96 turnovers for his career. He set the record for most games played in a season without an assist(58). I think Whiteside broke one of his terrible records a while back.

Smoke117
02-19-2016, 03:07 AM
Honestly...it's never really been an issue with me. Guys that can pass the rock has never been a problem with the Heat the last two years...it's guys that can't ****ing shoot...and frankly sans whiteside...ANYONE who can defensively control the paint and anchor a defense...Hassan does that. The guys attitude pisses me off just as much as anybody (probably more so as everything causes me to explode), but I just don't get the hate in regard to this. A guy who was nothing till literally the 2nd half of a season ago shouldn't be getting criticism for weak points in his game...especially when you have three ****ing triple doubles in the first half of the season from blocks...that's just absurd. I don't even get pissed off when the team gives it to him in the post and he spends time to force up a bad shot...I blame Spo and the team for even thinking it's okay to throw it into him in the post in the first place. Unless he has a completely absurd mismatch he has no business ever being fed into the post. He definitely pisses me off when he grabs an offensive rebound and has no look but will pump fake his way to some awful shot instead of just throwing out to a guard though....

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 03:07 AM
This is 100% true. He never passes out of the post even if a double is thrown at him.

Smoke117
02-19-2016, 03:09 AM
As a Heat fan how can you really criticize a guy who felt into our laps...a guy nobody thought was anything and who is now leading the league in bpg and top 5 in rpg...I'm not sure how anyone can think they have the balls to criticize him unless way back when he was coming into the league you thought he would be some big shit and he let you down...

bigkingsfan
02-19-2016, 03:14 AM
The scorekeeper is biased.

MellowYellow
02-19-2016, 03:17 AM
As a Heat fan how can you really criticize a guy who felt into our laps...a guy nobody thought was anything and who is now leading the league in bpg and top 5 in rpg...I'm not sure how anyone can think they have the balls to criticize him unless way back when he was coming into the league you thought he would be some big shit and he let you down...
Where they come from, what they were supposed to be that means nothing. The fact is he is getting minutes, and no NBA player even a scrub who isn't good should avg .2 assists in 25+ mpg.

SpaceJam
02-19-2016, 03:24 AM
Overrated player

Smoke117
02-19-2016, 03:25 AM
Where they come from, what they were supposed to be that means nothing. The fact is he is getting minutes, and no NBA player even a scrub who isn't good should avg .2 assists in 25+ mpg.

If you think you are now the definitive statement on basketball...excuse me while I laugh...:oldlol: A ****ing Marshmelo stan giving his opinion on how basketball should be played...

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

BasedTom
02-19-2016, 03:43 AM
Honestly...it's never really been an issue with me. Guys that can pass the rock has never been a problem with the Heat the last two years...it's guys that can ****ing shoot...and frankly sans whiteside...ANYONE who can defensively control the paint and anchor a defense...Hassan does that. The guys attitude pisses me off just as much as anybody (probably more so as everything causes me to explode), but I just don't get the hate in regard to this. A guy who was nothing till literally the 2nd half of a season ago shouldn't be getting criticism for weak points in his game...especially when you have three ****ing triple doubles in the first half of the season from blocks...that's just absurd. I don't even get pissed off when the team gives it to him in the post and he spends time to force up a bad shot...I blame Spo and the team for even thinking it's okay to throw it into him in the post in the first place. Unless he has a completely absurd mismatch he has no business ever being fed into the post. He definitely pisses me off when he grabs an offensive rebound and has no look but will pump fake his way to some awful shot instead of just throwing out to a guard though....
The thing with that is how at times it somehow works and I imagine that it only reinforces his desire to keep doing it.

I don't get the media narrative that he's a locker room cancer/ticking timebomb when that just doesn't seem to be the case. He's pretty dumb and yes somebody like a Steven Adams will take advantage of it, but it isn't as if flagrant fouls/fouling out/suspensions are a regular thing with him [No doubt shocking news to the c*cksucking bandwagon spurms fans on this site that assume the Boban hit means he should be permabanned from the league]

The worry with him is that he'll get paid and his production will fall off. And of course plenty of teams will throw the max at him because he's better than Dwight Howard. But as a player right now and with his current salary he is very much acceptable to have on your team.

Dresta
02-19-2016, 03:56 AM
He's a poor passer and doesn't see the floor very well (on offense), but honestly, he very rarely gets the ball in a position where he could get an assist, and it's not like Miami has any shooters to kick out to.

Andre Drummond isn't much better, for example, and he gets the offense run through him about 10x more often.

fsvr54
02-19-2016, 03:56 AM
His career high is 2.

:roll:

AintNoSunshine
02-19-2016, 04:08 AM
How's that even possible? Are you occasionally forced to give up the ball anyway?:wtf:

warriorfan
02-19-2016, 04:51 AM
pretty impressive considering dude is never even on the court he plays like 10 minutes a game :roll:

plowking
02-19-2016, 04:55 AM
Dude literally catches lobs and either gets the ball in deep post position. It isn't an issue.

There hasn't been more than 5 times in a whole year where I've said "should have passed that one".

Fallen Angel
02-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Is this really a huge issue?

http://bkref.com/tiny/pteGt

Mawly-G
02-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Comparing him to Cousins is a little bit unfair. Boogie is a rare talent, and is one of the few bigs capable of netting triple doubles (with 10+ assists).

f0und
02-19-2016, 11:01 AM
when he gets the ball, it almost never goes back out. doesnt matter if he's in a bad scoring position, under the basket, double teamed, tripled teamed, or even the whole dam teamed, the shot is going up. it boggles my mind everytime how determined he is to put up the shot no matter what. but i cant complain too much since he shoots a decent percentage in those situations.

PJR
02-19-2016, 11:38 AM
If Whiteside didn't have inherent flaws in his game, he wouldn't have been out of the league for as long as he was.

With that being said, if the Heat had actual shooting surrounding him, I think his offensive metrics would be much better.

aj1987
02-19-2016, 11:46 AM
If Whiteside didn't have inherent flaws in his game, he wouldn't have been out of the league for as long as he was.

With that being said, if the Heat had actual shooting surrounding him, I think his offensive metrics would be much better.
Might be, but dude cherrypicks on defense and basically tries to pad his stats. It's like his play depends on his mood. You can actually tell by watching him play. Dude is a proper beast when he actually gives a shit. Can score ~20, grab ~15 boards and completely shut down the paint.

BurningHammer
02-19-2016, 12:03 PM
But he does other things very well, so that's fine. Assisting is Gragic and other guys' jobs.

chocolatethunder
02-19-2016, 12:24 PM
I don't like Whiteside but it has nothing to do with his lack of assists. Miami doesn't run anything through him so he wouldn't really be expected to have assists. He is overrated and I think whichever team ends up signing him for a ton of money will ultimately regret it.

Dr Seuss
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
i havent seen too many heat games since they got whiteside, but how often does he have the ball in his hands with his back to the basket? are most of his points from lobs/assisted on, or from put backs after battling for an offensive rebound?

Dr Seuss
02-19-2016, 01:54 PM
For comparison, Deandre jordan is averaging 0.5 assists for this career. this season is his highest APG at a whopping 1.1 and DJ has the luxury of playing with both a SF and PF who are great at cutting down open lanes to the basket.

Big men who dont really create their own shot down low/hold the ball down there, will obviously be limited in the amount assists opportunities they get.

ajnapoleon
02-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Alphas don't pass :coleman:

imdaman99
02-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Common knowledge, you can't run an offense through him. Is he gonna get a max contract?

senelcoolidge
02-19-2016, 02:35 PM
I don't see the big deal. He's a big man..he's no Wilt who can give you 4+ apg in a career as a center. It would be great if he could pass it out when doubled. But it's not like he's a guard.

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 02:35 PM
when he gets the ball, it almost never goes back out. doesnt matter if he's in a bad scoring position, under the basket, double teamed, tripled teamed, or even the whole dam teamed, the shot is going up. it boggles my mind everytime how determined he is to put up the shot no matter what. but i cant complain too much since he shoots a decent percentage in those situations.

This.

It doesn't matter if Miami doesn't have shooters, he just never passss out of the post. He'll hoist up a shot over 2 defenders or even if it's a bad shot on 1.

LikeMike
02-19-2016, 02:47 PM
High strengths, and high weaknesses.

Pushxx
02-19-2016, 05:16 PM
He's physically man amongs boys but has the mentality of a boy amongst men.

SexSymbol
02-19-2016, 05:35 PM
This is a thread like those "tweets" that you used to get in 2k my player mode.
Like, you're a point guard, you play a game with 25 pts and 15 asts and then they tweet: "what's up with @joshmcdaddy rebounding lately? only 1 reb this game, step up"

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 05:47 PM
This is a thread like those "tweets" that you used to get in 2k my player mode.
Like, you're a point guard, you play a game with 25 pts and 15 asts and then they tweet: "what's up with @joshmcdaddy rebounding lately? only 1 reb this game, step up"

People who don't watch Heat games don't see the bigger issue. It's not strictly about his assists. He Never passes out of the post. He forces up bad shots and sometimes commits a turnover. Even if he averaged .2 asts but was consistently passing out of the post and making good passes it wouldn't be an issue. He doesn't do this though and that's the biggest problem.

miggyme1
02-19-2016, 06:56 PM
he is a center not a point guard

miggyme1
02-19-2016, 06:59 PM
People who don't watch Heat games don't see the bigger issue. It's not strictly about his assists. He Never passes out of the post. He forces up bad shots and sometimes commits a turnover. Even if he averaged .2 asts but was consistently passing out of the post and making good passes it wouldn't be an issue. He doesn't do this though and that's the biggest problem.

even if he did pass out the post who on the heat can shoot jumpers consistently??????

Im just saying...in order to get assists your teammates gotta hit shots. Im sure coach spo know this is a weakness with the team so he prolly tells Hassan to be aggressive when he gets his touches......and he isn't that bad of a free throw shooter...one of the better big men when it comes to hitting them.

The most reliable jump shooter on the team is out now. ( bosh)

RRR3
02-19-2016, 07:18 PM
No one is saying he should be dropping dimes, but even defense only centers like Biyombo and Joel Anthony have far better assist rates. Whiteside does get plays run for him at times, he should at least get around 0.8 APG or something

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 07:24 PM
even if he did pass out the post who on the heat can shoot jumpers consistently??????

Im just saying...in order to get assists your teammates gotta hit shots. Im sure coach spo know this is a weakness with the team so he prolly tells Hassan to be aggressive when he gets his touches......and he isn't that bad of a free throw shooter...one of the better big men when it comes to hitting them.

The most reliable jump shooter on the team is out now. ( bosh)

In order to get assists you have to pass out of the post. The Heat's shooting is a large weakness but that doesn't change the fact Whiteside takes horrible shots. He gets the ball attempts to back down, if a double comes the shot is still going up. That's the problem. It's not even like he passes out and we miss our jumpers, he just doesn't pass out.

RRR3
02-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Wades rings is right. If whiteside gets the ball in the post it's not going to be given up. Even when it clearly should be

inclinerator
02-19-2016, 07:51 PM
u dont need assist when u got guns like these

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/hassan-whiteside-of-the-miami-heat-flexes-during-the-game-against-the-picture-id508645448

SexSymbol
02-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Most coaches would be happy with that.
A shot from 3 ft is the preferred option of every offensive system.
Overpassing big men are a disaster and only a few work.

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Most coaches would be happy with that.
A shot from 3 ft is the preferred option of every offensive system.
Overpassing big men are a disaster and only a few work.

A shot from 5ft over 2 defenders? A tough heavily contested hook from 5ft? Oh and turnovers. Those are not good shots and finding the open man would result in a better shot and offense.

SexSymbol
02-19-2016, 08:28 PM
A shot from 5ft over 2 defenders? A tough heavily contested hook from 5ft? Oh and turnovers. Those are not good shots and finding the open man would result in a better shot and offense.
He's converting them at a good rate and statistically is a pretty good post up player.

Wade's Rings
02-19-2016, 08:29 PM
He's converting them at a good rate and statistically is a pretty good post up player.

Provide the stats please.