PDA

View Full Version : Rank these 2nd tier PG's from the past 20 years?

L.Kizzle
02-21-2016, 10:30 PM
This one will be the most complicated out of the positions I did so far (PF & SG.)

I mean, what's the line between a 1st tier and a 2nd tier PG? Some are obvious. Steve Nash = 1st and Terrell Brandon = 2nd tier. But what is Rondo? Arenas? Hell, even Tim Hardaway and Deron Williams. All these guys can't be 1st tier can they?

My 1st tier list from the past 20 years are:
(Magic, Zeke, Stockton, Price & KJ: Not listed, I have them from the previous era.)
(Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Kyrie & Wall: Not listed, new era.)

Tim Hardaway, Gary Payton, Anfernee Hardaway, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose.

2nd tier list looks like this:
Terrell Brandon
Nick Van Exel
Stephon Marbury
Steve Francis
Baron Davis
Gilbert Arenas
Rajon Rondo
Deron Williams
Kyle Lowry

JimmyMcAdocious
02-22-2016, 02:01 AM
If Brandon is definitely 2nd tier then why not Stoudamire, Cassell, or Kenny Anderson? Or even Bibby, who I always forget and did again.

SexSymbol
02-22-2016, 04:44 AM
What seperates deron williams from derrick rose? Or hardaway?

theaussieguy
02-22-2016, 05:56 AM
lmao Rondo tier 2? nikka hes the greatest pure PG in league history

Im Still Ballin
02-22-2016, 06:05 AM
aussieguy with ANOTHER triple dubz.

ImKobe
02-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Don't agree with the 2nd list at all but Deron is the best because he was putting up CP3 numbers and made it to the WCF in his prime

Rondo probably the best pure passer in the last 20 years and did his thing in the Playoffs many times, wouldn't also put him in the 2nd tier.

kshutts1
02-22-2016, 07:12 AM
List seems inconsistent in that Rose is the old guard, Curry is the new guard, and Lowry is available to be picked. Lowry is the oldest one, and has been around the longest.

Anyway, aside from the inconsistencies, I'll work within your parameters.

Baron
Arenas

Deron
Rondo
Marbury

Francis

NVE
Brandon
Lowry

KnittingRyu
02-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Francis has to be one of the most overrated players of the last 20 years. He was so much fun to watch, hence the overrating, but quite the cancer and extremely inefficient.

KnittingRyu
02-22-2016, 10:23 AM
:biggums:

ralph_i_el
02-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Rondo is lucky to be second tier. What has he done without 3 hall of famers?

Gotterdammerung
02-22-2016, 03:20 PM
~snip~
2nd tier list looks like this:
Terrell Brandon
Nick Van Exel
Stephon Marbury
Steve Francis
Baron Davis
Gilbert Arenas
Rajon Rondo
Deron Williams
Kyle Lowry

I suspect this question becomes infinitely easier once some of the guys above are finished playing.
It's too hard to rank a guy who might get a mid-to late career bumb, and that's an open-ended question. :confusedshrug:

Young X
02-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Baron Davis >>>

CuterThanRubio
02-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Stephon Marbury was arguably closer to being a tier 1 guard in his prime than tier 2, when strictly judging by individual skill level at least.

theaussieguy
02-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Rondo is lucky to be second tier. What has he done without 3 hall of famers?

umm assist leader for many seasons? Also carried the so called big 3 in many series against Lebron?

Nick Young
02-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Don't agree with the 2nd list at all but Deron is the best because he was putting up CP3 numbers and made it to the WCF in his prime

Rondo probably the best pure passer in the last 20 years and did his thing in the Playoffs many times, wouldn't also put him in the 2nd tier.
Why do people say this? The man purposefully pads his assist numbers by passing up open layups+the NBA stats keepers always credit him and CP3 with "assists" that they don't credit to any other player.

theaussieguy
02-23-2016, 05:51 AM
Why do people say this? The man purposefully pads his assist numbers by passing up open layups+the NBA stats keepers always credit him and CP3 with "assists" that they don't credit to any other player.

see the post above yours. cheers.

L.Kizzle
02-24-2016, 12:49 AM
If Brandon is definitely 2nd tier then why not Stoudamire, Cassell, or Kenny Anderson? Or even Bibby, who I always forget and did again.
Good looking, I did forget Sam Cassell. Definitely 2nd tier material. The other guys are a level below, IMO. Sort of like Jeff Teague now with all the other top PG in the league.

I did consider Kenny Anderson though.