PDA

View Full Version : Can you be the best player in th eleague but not the best at your position?

miggyme1
02-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Ok so over the weekend i got into a heated debate with a guy at Dave and busters. He claimed that steph curry is the best player in the league but he believes damian lillard is the best pg in the league.

I explained to him that makes no sense. He said that steph curry transcends his position because that's how great he is so you cant consider him a pg. WTF???

Just curious to see what other people think.

choppermagic
02-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Yes you can.

If you define positions as having certain "roles" then you might not be the best at them but excell in something else that makes you more valuable to the team overall.

For example PG - distribute the ball, run the plays, keep people involved. If your PG is instead scoring 35ppg but not doing the typical roles, then another PG might be a better point guard but worse player overall because you are doing other things.

This can also happen when players play out of position

Gotterdammerung
02-22-2016, 01:03 PM
This argument parallels the rivalry between two magicians of the film The Prestige:

[to Borden] You always were the better magician. We both know that. Whatever your secret was, you have to agree, mine is better.

Angier is saying that Borden was the superior magician, but Angier had the better magic trick.

Damon Lillard might be a better point guard, but Curry is the better player. :cheers:

riseagainst
02-22-2016, 02:58 PM
This argument parallels the rivalry between two magicians of the film The Prestige:

Angier is saying that Borden was the superior magician, but Angier had the better magic trick.

Damon Lillard might be a better point guard, but Curry is the better player. :cheers:

excellent parallelism. Great movie.

:applause:
:bowdown:

ShawkFactory
02-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Top 3 Nolan film.

Inferno
02-22-2016, 04:39 PM

Great movie :cheers:

Inferno
02-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Top 3 Nolan film.

What do you have above it?

Dark Knight, Inception, Memento?

nba_55
02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. Inception
4. The Prestige

ShawkFactory
02-22-2016, 04:45 PM
1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. Inception
4. The Prestige
Exactly this order for me, so I guess I should have said top 4.

I flip flop on DK vs Inception. Probably liked Inception better upon first viewing but DK more in subsequent viewings.

Memento is in my top 5 overall.

Inferno
02-22-2016, 04:49 PM
I have to give Memento another watch to evaluate it better. First time I watched it a few years back I was confused as **** and had to Wikipedia the plot after it ended to make sense of all of it :facepalm

Inferno
02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker makes the DK for me :applause:

ShawkFactory
02-22-2016, 04:55 PM
I have to give Memento another watch to evaluate it better. First time I watched it a few years back I was confused as **** and had to Wikipedia the plot after it ended to make sense of all of it :facepalm
Yea its definitely one of those that gets better after watching 2,3, even 4 times.

Fortunately I'd been told about how confusing it was and that it was best to not even really try to hurt your brain following it exactly. the fist time. Just that watching it a couple more times after will do the trick.

I was still blown away by the ending the first time I saw it though.

But I definitely also have a couple friends who feel like you do in that it was maybe TOO complex. And I understand that.

SexSymbol
02-22-2016, 04:58 PM
What do you have above it?

Dark Knight, Inception, Memento?
Interstellar
Memento
Inception
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
then prestige

nba_55
02-22-2016, 05:02 PM

That happened to me with interstellar, but I still didn't get it with wikipedia. Too many physics shits.

Gileraracer
02-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Let's call the thread "your favorite movie"

navy
02-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Yeah except Lillard in this case is neither

feyki
02-22-2016, 05:37 PM
People thinks point guard means playmaker . They mentions like CP3 type player above Rose or West type player .

WayOfWade
02-22-2016, 05:43 PM

Godly comparison, :bowdown:

Duderonomy
02-22-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm watching Interstellar right now.
Nolan is my favorite current filmmaker so I'm surprised I haven't watch it yet. It doesn't look bad but I just haven't had the urge to set through 3 hours of it.