PDA

View Full Version : Lifting How to Start

!@#$%Vectors!@#
02-23-2016, 10:43 PM
So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.

KyrieTheFuture
02-23-2016, 10:57 PM
So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.
Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
02-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.

how many calories should I be consuming? I burn like 800 from my cardio.

outbreak
02-23-2016, 11:07 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+start+lifting+weights%3F

!@#$%Vectors!@#
02-23-2016, 11:15 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+start+lifting+weights%3F

so many guides. which to follow and shit.

jongib369
02-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Monday
3x5 Squat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQWzAs2m0ck)
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNb5HDniYE)

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
3x5 Deadlift
5x10 Dumbbell Lunges

Wednesday
3x5 deadlift deficit

Friday
3x5 Deadlift
1x5 Squat

Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_of_Stronglifts_52155

!@#$%Vectors!@#
02-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Monday
3x5 Squat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQWzAs2m0ck)
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNb5HDniYE)

Friday
3x5 Squat

Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
3x5 Deadlift
5x10 Dumbbell Lunges

Wednesday
3x5 deadlift deficit

Friday
3x5 Deadlift
1x5 Squat

Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_of_Stronglifts_52155

:cheers:

Honest little secret. I don't think I can even do a pullup.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-24-2016, 09:41 PM
As Kyrie said begin with calisthenics and then integrate deadlift and bench and press and heavy leg press. Assisted pull ups and rows.

You must be careful with squats and perfect the form.

Count Dooku
02-24-2016, 09:48 PM
damn
you used to be FAT

HeatFanSince88
02-24-2016, 10:12 PM
oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.

jongib369
02-24-2016, 11:19 PM
oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.

OP, don't bother listening to this moron.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/if68gm.jpg

Weighed 175 in the pic, and it was a month before I got my deadlift to 350. I started out with no posterior chain, and chicken legs coming off a sternum fracture that put me out of any physical activity for a loooong time.Will you see this type of progress? Maybe not, I went from untrained to between intermediate and advanced (http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html) in 4 months...But if your goal is to get stronger, and you eat right while doing this it WILL happen.

I was imbalanced in the pic above because of not being able to follow the routine to a T, but a LOT of people follow and have success with this program. It's NOT just for people wanting to compete in power lifting. Warm up properly, look up proper form and ask someone to monitor it for you, and take your time adding weight. My goal is to deadlift 500-600 one day, but I always focus on form first. Lifting with my ego is what caused me to fracture my sternum years ago, and get a slight tear in my rotator cuff a month ago. Don't be like me :lol

"How To" Deadlift (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IGeJEXpF4)

Deadlift Set-up and Body Shape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNb5HDniYE)

Im Still Ballin
02-24-2016, 11:57 PM
depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well

jongib369
02-25-2016, 12:08 AM
depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well
My quads exploded with deficit dead lifts, and the chinups/pullups would help the arms a bit. But you're right in your advice about isolation exercises. His physique wouldn't look like shit, but I'll agree it wouldn't be what it could

For instance, I'm trying to get big arms again, I "run the rack" similar to what Arnold did
http://56.media.tumblr.com/40e832eba7a986d036e39daa52f7e3d5/tumblr_nvig2wzsog1u9dwg5o1_500.jpg

Good advice on the compound lifts, not so sure about the 100 rep a wek thing but I might give it a go. As you already know I've got a bum shoulder atm, so I just do 5x5 deficit dead lifts with 225. No pain, but I don't want ot risk it. Squatting bothers me atm, so I opt for dumbell squats, body squats, and dumbell lunges.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3421/3893569360_fd150c4d5e.jpg

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Deficit deadlifts are a terrible choice for beginners

fsvr54
02-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Forget lifting if you don't even want to bulk.

Just do pull ups, dips and squats and you're golden.

ISHGoat
02-25-2016, 12:21 AM
Forget all this advice OP.

The most important thing is to LIFT HEAVY, workout hard af, eat properly, and sleep a lot.

It doesn't matter what workout routine you follow or exactly what lifts you do. Pick a routine that you like and GO WITH INTENSITY.

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Yeah good advice bro

You'd have him going all out on the preacher and cables

lmao

jongib369
02-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Deficit deadlifts are a terrible choice for beginners
It worked for me, but my long arms might of cancelled out the fact that they were at a deficit.

Even with lighter weight?

ISHGoat
02-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Yeah good advice bro

You'd have him going all out on the preacher and cables

lmao

Well I'm sure even if he did those with max effort he'd get jacked.

But I forgot to add: focus on compounds.

There is the big 6:
Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Overhead press
Row
Pull-up

Personally I don't do squat deadlift or barbell rows because I just wing it at my condo gym which doesn't have barbells. I play enough sports for leg work and cardio anyways.

Just focus on those 6 and add some supplemental work as you see fit. Don't train arms, push/pulling days will already work triceps/biceps.

Just lift heavy man.

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 12:32 AM
I don't like deficit deads for beginners because that's a very harsh leverage point and will no doubt overdevelop the lumbar erectors

The key to quality posterior chain function is to make sure the glutes are defiantly the key mover

Supplementing barbell hip thrusts 2x a week will give you that neural posterior balance in no time

KyrieTheFuture
02-25-2016, 01:14 AM
Why are people recommending Pull Ups to a complete beginner? Those are not a "stroll into the gym" type of exercise.

Also apparently no one read OP, doesn't want to gain weight. Stop recommending Deadlifts.

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Why are people recommending Pull Ups to a complete beginner? Those are not a "stroll into the gym" type of exercise.

Also apparently no one read OP, doesn't want to gain weight. Stop recommending Deadlifts.
That's not enough to go on by

So he wants to starting lifting weights but not gain weight

So he's gaining muscle and losing fat

Or else why would he even bother?

Irrelevant of the fact that the OP is a troll account,

you can't rule out deadlifts like that

KyrieTheFuture
02-25-2016, 01:27 AM
That's not enough to go on by

So he wants to starting lifting weights but not gain weight

So he's gaining muscle and losing fat

Or else why would he even bother?

Irrelevant of the fact that the OP is a troll account,

you can't rule out deadlifts like that
Well I'm pretty sure it's Jameer but I'm tired of calling him out so I'll assume it's a real person. It doesn't even sound like they want to gain muscle, just tone up what they have, meaning body weight, and cardio. Sure, you can do volume deadlifts, but I have no idea why you would do that as a beginner. That's what you do to shred your legs once they have lots of mass.

TheNaturalWR
02-25-2016, 04:07 AM
Well I'm pretty sure it's Jameer but I'm tired of calling him out so I'll assume it's a real person. It doesn't even sound like they want to gain muscle, just tone up what they have, meaning body weight, and cardio. Sure, you can do volume deadlifts, but I have no idea why you would do that as a beginner. That's what you do to shred your legs once they have lots of mass.

What? Volume deadlifts will burn more fat and "tone up" better than simple cardio.

TheNaturalWR
02-25-2016, 04:14 AM

Rippetoe's routine is actually pretty good even though I didn't run it. It's just that he tells these new lifters to eat a shitload and they just end up getting fat as ****. Strength and size the majority of the time come hand in hand. You get stronger = you get bigger.

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 05:05 AM
Rippetoe's routine is actually pretty good even though I didn't run it. It's just that he tells these new lifters to eat a shitload and they just end up getting fat as ****. Strength and size the majority of the time come hand in hand. You get stronger = you get bigger.
It's an unbalanced program IMO because it's overfocus on strength and only strength. It's a program that is known for building unbalanced physiques (Which is what 99% of people lift for)... Not inherently the fault to the program, because if people actually bought the book/downloaded the e-book, they'd see that he goes more into detail, but even then I still feel it has holes in it's approach.

The vanilla program is poor for bicep development, and is a one way highway to muscle imbalances due to an extreme focus on the amount of weight lifted. For example, with this weight focus, you'll soon hit a point where you start "stalling" and form will breakdown. And at that point, I guarantee you there will be an a muscular and neuromuscular dominance/imbalance. It's just bad business having a beginner chasing the weight and not focusing on the components of strength and the movement.

It's why I personally think it's better to start off with the same strength based progressive overload compound movesments, but to incorporate the volume and bodybuilder isolation/accessory movements from the start. Sure it might slow down your strength progress by maybe a week or so in the grand scheme of things, but you are reinforcing balance and proper neuromuscular function. I went through all of this myself lifting way back in the start. Chasing bar weight gains on the bench every week. I eventually hit that stalling point, i was weak off the bottom of the press. I look in the mirror and I see overdeveloped delts and triceps. And this isn't me benching with horrible form, I was always meticulous. It's just that due to many factors, these imbalances arise. The simple solution was I started pause repping on the bench and I'd go to the rear delt/fly machine and squeeze the shit out of my chest 5 sets 2 times a week. It might have contributed to more fatigue for benching, but they generally say that after the novice level of linear gains, you add more volume.

From my experience, it is way better to add the volume from the beginning. Too many people these days are nazis on form, machines, isolation movements. Most of these guys are fat ass rippetoe nerds who were never athletes. The truth is the cross over from bodybuilding to powerlifting is extremely minimal in the grand scheme. Best to just do both principles.

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Essentially TLDR explanation:

Rippetoe's program is too heavily focused on bar weight gains that it loses focus on the muscles, which make up the movement. You can have good form but even then, with such a poundage focus, imbalances will arise. Best to supplement good form with bodybuilding and accessory work from the getgo. You might take a few more weeks to get to certain strength benchmarks, but the quality of those reps will be a hell of a lot better and less of an injury risk.