PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel Might Be Possible After Discovery of Gravitational Waves

Lebron23
02-24-2016, 11:35 AM
The discovery of gravitational waves this month rocked the scientific community – and it stands to rock a lot more.

Remarkably, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory's discovery of gravitational waves confirms a theory Albert Einstein had about their existence almost a century ago.

But perhaps even more compelling are the implications the discovery has for a more comprehensive theory of general relativity – a theory that would make time travel mathematically possible.

“There are still a lot of ifs there, starting with the existence of negative mass particles and wormholes being stable,” David Spergel, a theoretical physicist and chairman of Princeton University’s astronomy and astrophysics department, told The Daily Beast. “But general relativity’s equations – which gave us black holes, and we see very strong evidence for them with LIGO – are telling us that that would permit time travel.”

Put simply: Einstein's theory of general relativity – bolstered by the discovery of gravitational waves – provides a gateway for guided exploration into the possibility of time travel.
Einstein predicted the possibility of traveling through time, by virtue of the fact that space and time are inextricably intertwined, but whether the
famous theoretical physicist was correct remains to be seen.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-02-23/discovery-of-gravitational-waves-makes-time-travel-mathematically-possible

KnittingRyu
02-24-2016, 11:47 AM
When do we get Back to the Future style time travel? Forget Interstellar.

CeltsGarlic
02-24-2016, 12:07 PM
I still wonder what negative mass particles are expected to be and how they work.

fiddy
02-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Travel back in time....land in a parallel universe lmao

Stout
02-24-2016, 12:11 PM
I still wonder what negative mass particles are expected to be and how they work.
Ask Stalker about his size, and maybe he'll tell you.

CeltsGarlic
02-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Ask Stalker about his size, and maybe he'll tell you.

He probably couldnt tell me how it works tho

Godzuki
02-24-2016, 12:36 PM
i would love to hear how they correlate gravitational waves to time travel. i dont see how anything realistic can be related to time travel in theory :coleman:

Stout
02-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Every time you look at a star you are technically looking at something from the past.

KyrieTheFuture
02-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Every time you look at a star you are technically looking at something from the past.
Everytime you look at ANYTHING you're looking at the past. Light takes time to travel. Stars just happen to be very far away. If the Sun went out right now we'd still have 7 (pretty sure that's the number) minutes of light on earth.