PDA

View Full Version : Garbage men are making good money

~primetime~
02-24-2016, 02:29 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/economy/trash-workers-high-pay/index.html

"Your trash is my money," Molina, 32, says with a baby-faced grin.

Molina made $112,000 last year as a garbage truck driver and Sankar made $100,000 as a helper, riding on the back of the truck. Their wages have grown in eight of the last nine years, according to their bosses, brothers David and Jerry Antonacci, owners of Crown Container, a waste management company.

Molina dropped out of high school in the 10th grade and he's worked at Crown for 10 years. He says his starting salary was about $80,000. Sankar too dropped out of school before migrating to the U.S. from Guyana 20 years ago.

Guess it makes sense, would be an awful job so you have to attract employees somehow.

Draz
02-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Was this not common sense? Here in NY they make a killing. Make more than a dam BA degree off the back. Talked to a guy who I worked with at my last job who was a retired garbage man, said he made a killing.

iamgine
02-24-2016, 02:32 PM
That's it, garbage here I come!

NumberSix
02-24-2016, 02:32 PM
A lot of people is the garbage business seem to have Italian names. Weird.

~primetime~
02-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Was this not common sense?
I had no idea...:confusedshrug:

imdaman99
Too much competition and waiting list to be a garbage man here in NYC :oldlol: Honestly, I'd rather do that than an office job...

Draz
It's a long list for sanitation though. A lot of my friends are enlisted, it's honestly something to consider. Outside of garbage men, real estate is probably another realistic choice without a degree

iamgine
02-24-2016, 02:34 PM
A lot of people is the garbage business seem to have Italian names. Weird.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/30738/why-mob-often-tied-garbage-industry

Draz
02-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Too much competition and waiting list to be a garbage man here in NYC :oldlol: Honestly, I'd rather do that than an office job...
Yep. Just like any MTA job.

JohnnySic
02-24-2016, 02:36 PM
These types of jobs are hard get. Its all connections - family, friends.

Draz
02-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Guy was like 65, physically fit asf because of being a garbage man. Said on snow days he'd go in for 2-3 hours and make enough for the day, come home after.

A lot of people are getting into the garbage disposal business themselves, I've witnessed them make serious money. They rent or buy their own truck and go around collecting themselves.

~primetime~
02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
That job seems ridiculously simple. It's an awful job reputation-wise, but the pay is great for the work you have to put in.

These people dropped out of High School, too... There're people out of college in debt who aspire to get a six-figure paying job, these HS dropouts are in their early 30s making $100,000.
they're around garbage all day though

hard to envy that

NumberSix
02-24-2016, 02:38 PM
InB4 feminists bitching about women being underrepresented in those sweet garbage jobs. It must be a sexist conspiracy.

Stout
02-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Garbage men have made good money as long as I've been alive.

Draz
02-24-2016, 02:39 PM
they're around garbage all day though

hard to envy that
I feel like kids under 19 won't understand the value of the job or the capabilities of what the earnings can be. They disrespect the job off of the given name. Up until you're searching for jobs they recognize how brilliant it is

I'm not completely sold on the job for the next 40 years though. I see the city cutting back on pay because it's not a skilled job. Which is why even if I had the opportunity to quit my BA to do it, I'd probably not. Don't know how secure the jobs pay will be long term

highwhey
02-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Molina is an italian name? My grandpas name is Molina. That means...:eek:

Tarik One
02-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Most "Well, Somebody's Gotta Do It" jobs pay well.....with the exception of CNA.

Dresta
02-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Unpleasant jobs carry a premium if employees are not competing with millions of cheap labour economic migrants for those same jobs. It has always been the way.

But instead we get: "b-b-but Americans don't want to work the jobs illegals do"

No, they don't want to work them for the money illegals get paid. If there wasn't an oversupply of cheap labour streaming into the country then these jobs would be paid better, and more Americans would be happy to do them.

Nick Young
02-24-2016, 02:52 PM
feminazis are going to be campaigning for 50/50 gender representation in the field of being a garbage man soon, and rallying against the sexist garbage industry, just watch. I give it a year max before this happens.

NumberSix
02-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Molina is an italian name? My grandpas name is Molina. That means...:eek:
It means that...

1. The Latins were tribes of people in ancient Italian villages/cities like Rome
2. Latin was the Roman language
3. Spain was conquered by Rome and adopted the Roman language
4. Many years later the Spanish colonized lots of the Americas
5. Many people in the Americas have Latin names as a result of Spanish colonization

highwhey
02-24-2016, 02:59 PM
It means that...

1. The Latins were tribes of people in ancient Italian villages/cities like Rome
2. Latin was the Roman language
3. Spain was conquered by Rome and adopted the Roman language
4. Many years later the Spanish colonized lots of the Americas
5. Many people in the Americas have Latin names as a result of Spanish colonization
I am Yaqui indian. We were never conquered, dumb b1tch.

Draz
02-24-2016, 03:03 PM
:roll:

NumberSix
02-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Oh, then I guess nobody in your family history spoke Spanish. You're all pure indian click click language speakers.

Nick Young
02-24-2016, 03:05 PM
InB4 feminists bitching about women being underrepresented in those sweet garbage jobs. It must be a sexist conspiracy.
Women: "Those coders are reclusive nerds! **** these silicon valley computer geeks. I don't want to have anything to do with those man-baby neckbeards"

-tech industry rises, coders start making bank, tech start ups make a killing-

"THE TECH INDUSTRY IS A SEXIST BOYS CLUB PURPOSEFULLY DESIGNED TO KEEP WOMEN OUT! EVERYWHERE SHOULD BE 50/50 AND THERE SHOULD BE GENDER QUOTAS-WOMEN LIKE CODING AND TECH JUST AS MUCH AS MEN DOE! MIISSOOGYNYY!!!! What's that? Women are not naturally going in to coding? HR AND DIVERSITY OFFICES ARE IMPORTANT. THE GENDER STUDIES MAJORS NEED A PLACE TO GO, AND OH YEAH THE BOARD ROOM SHOULD BE 50% WOMEN"

Wherever there is a new industry making bank, women will show up late to the party, and start complaining about it until they're given an easy way in. It happens without fail, every time.

UK2K
02-24-2016, 03:10 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/economy/trash-workers-high-pay/index.html

Guess it makes sense, would be an awful job so you have to attract employees somehow.
Supply and demand.

Plumbers have nasty jobs too, and people don't want to do it, so as a result they make a ton of money.

Tarik One
02-24-2016, 04:09 PM
I don't buy it, if they made such good money why would duke droese need to take on a second job?
People beyond their means. Either that, or have multiple baby mommaz.

Bosnian Sajo
02-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Must depend on where you live, average here in my city for garbage men is 15/hour.

At least that's what a quick google search told me.

Thorpesaurous
02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
It's about 50k in my town, I have a few friends who do it. But it can get up to 75 or more if you get your CDL and become certified driver.

It's still not a bad gig. The conditions aren't great. But the benefits are great as it's a municipal job, and the hours are super. I have one buddy who everyone loves to work with because he runs the whole route, and they finish like an hour and half faster most days.

Draz
02-24-2016, 04:54 PM
It's about 50k in my town, I have a few friends who do it. But it can get up to 75 or more if you get your CDL and become certified driver.

It's still not a bad gig. The conditions aren't great. But the benefits are great as it's a municipal job, and the hours are super. I have one buddy who everyone loves to work with because he runs the whole route, and they finish like an hour and half faster most days.
By conditions you mean physical labor right? I actually think this the most beneficial part about the job. Also, there are weight limits and certain restrictions to the job, so you don't have to force yourself to do more than whats required. They'll leave that shit if it's unsanitary to hold, or too heavy. Hit your ass with a fine too.

pastis
02-24-2016, 05:03 PM
so they make largely more than the average salary with Master/Bachelor degree in international business administration, engineering, law?

:applause: :applause:

Draz
02-24-2016, 05:03 PM
so they make largely more than the average salary with Master/Bachelor degree in international business administration, engineering, law?

Don't forget OT lol, OT will rack them up a shit load

Nick Young
02-24-2016, 05:04 PM

Garbage men make higher starting salary, those other fields have higher ceiling for growth. Also those people with degrees don't have to handle and smell stinky garbage all the time.

dazzer87
02-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Was this not common sense? Here in NY they make a killing. Make more than a dam BA degree off the back. Talked to a guy who I worked with at my last job who was a retired garbage man, said he made a killing.
Any chance this was the guy?

https://d26b02a2hyzk9o.cloudfront.net/photos/2015/05/13/4809-02-11-05-king-of-all-blacks-in-limo.jpg

pastis
02-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Garbage men make higher starting salary, those other fields have higher ceiling for growth. Also those people with degrees don't have to handle and smell stinky garbage all the time.

my best friend studied international business administration (banking and finance) got a job at top 5 consulting firm and started with 45.000

studying 5 years in germany and 1 year in UK, making traineeships in international banks in London and switzerland

for earning like 100.000 or more he has to become a junior partner at least

my older sister is a lawyer. she started with 38.000 5 years ago and is now at 42.000.Her husband makes about the same as her (MBA). they bought a house, have 2 cars and cant literally afford more than 2 weeks vacations per year at the beach. very very difficult to put money aside for savings

UK2K
02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
my best friend studied international business administration (banking and finance) got a job at top 5 consulting firm and started with 45.000

studying 5 years in germany and 1 year in UK, making traineeships in international banks in London and switzerland

for earning like 100.000 or more he has to become a junior partner at least

my older sister is a lawyer. she started with 38.000 5 years ago and is now at 42.000.Her husband makes about the same as her (MBA). they bought a house, have 2 cars and cant literally afford more than 2 weeks vacations per year at the beach. very very difficult to put money aside for savings

Don't know about Europe, but lawyers are a dime a dozen here. I have a friend who is almost finished with law school, and he has this idea hes going to be making a killing.

But, my grandmother knows the big time lawyers in her area and they say that they hire interns to work for nothing because EVERYONE is trying to get a law degree.

Again, supply and demand. Regardless of what your degree costs and what you may have done to earn it, if everyone else did the same thing, you're not special, and that's life.

Draz
02-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Don't know about Europe, but lawyers are a dime a dozen here. I have a friend who is almost finished with law school, and he has this idea hes going to be making a killing.

But, my grandmother knows the big time lawyers in her area and they say that they hire interns to work for nothing because EVERYONE is trying to get a law degree.

Again, supply and demand. Regardless of what your degree costs and what you may have done to earn it, if everyone else did the same thing, you're not special, and that's life.
Sort of like medical degrees here in the states then

Rather than decrease alone, they also make it very competitive to even get a job without having a near flawless GPA and internships

pastis
02-24-2016, 05:28 PM

im not saying otherwise. but i read on ish where pretty young members wrote that they already make lots of money in the banking and finance market, while being pretty young. and then i got a friend with the background, the top grades, the top degree, the top internships and then the pretty "low" starting salary at a top 5 consultant firm world wide. im not saying that those ish members dont make the big money while being young (25-35), but its not the usual case at all. not in the US, not in the UK, not in Germany.

regarding the lawyers its the same in germany as in the US. My sister is working like 50h a week for her 42.000. but she loves her job. she loves being independent, loves to work on difficult cases

~primetime~
02-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Garbage men much much more valuable to society than most people with degrees

Rank doctors above them but not much else
just about anyone that can do it though

UK2K
im not saying otherwise. but i read on ish where pretty young members wrote that they already make lots of money in the banking and finance market, while being pretty young. and then i got a friend with the background, the top grades, the top degree, the top internships and then the pretty "low" starting salary at a top 5 consultant firm world wide. im not saying that those ish members dont make the big money while being young (25-35), but its not the usual case at all. not in the US, not in the UK, not in Germany.

regarding the lawyers its the same in germany as in the US. My sister is working like 50h a week for her 42.000. but she loves her job. she loves being independent, loves to work on difficult cases

Oh sure, I have several friends who live in Chicago that do a lot of finance work, audits and that sort of thing. They make decent money (that I know of) but the truth is, the more of you there are, the less you'll be paid.

I could take a private contracting job right now overseas. Starting pay (at the time I was offered, maybe two years ago) was $120k for a year and a half commitment... 6 months there, 6 months home, 6 months there. Not because I have super advanced weapons training or anything, anyone could do it after a few weeks of training, but simply because 99.999% of people don't want to do it. Its dangerous, and shitty, and you're away from home.

UK2K
just about anyone that can do it though

But they won't.

pastis
02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Oh sure, I have several friends who live in Chicago that do a lot of finance work, audits and that sort of thing. They make decent money (that I know of) but the truth is, the more of you there are, the less you'll be paid.

I could take a private contracting job right now overseas. Starting pay (at the time I was offered, maybe two years ago) was $120k for a year and a half commitment... 6 months there, 6 months home, 6 months there. Not because I have super advanced weapons training or anything, anyone could do it after a few weeks of training, but simply because 99.999% of people don't want to do it. Its dangerous, and shitty, and you're away from home.

as what do you work?

Thorpesaurous
02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
By conditions you mean physical labor right? I actually think this the most beneficial part about the job. Also, there are weight limits and certain restrictions to the job, so you don't have to force yourself to do more than whats required. They'll leave that shit if it's unsanitary to hold, or too heavy. Hit your ass with a fine too.

I actually meant the working conditions. You have to work with garbage, in the cold, in the rain, in the heat. The physical end of it wouldn't both me for the most part. But like today, on a wet cold day in New England, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Bosnian Sajo
02-24-2016, 07:03 PM

She has been working 5 years as a lawyer and still only makes 42k/year? Is she a public defendant? Here I was thinking lawyers make bank...smh.

Draz
02-24-2016, 07:05 PM
So? Doesn't make the service less valuable

Most anyone can get most degrees as well
This is actually a great point. But to be more specific, a lot of people can get good grades and high grade point averages. It's exactly why jobs (the first job you get) out of college look at your gpa, but the rest do not. It just gives you a harder time if your gpa was low. Jobs know, people who do good on exams aren't always suited for the work.

UK2K
02-24-2016, 07:10 PM
She has been working 5 years as a lawyer and still only makes 42k/year? Is she a public defendant? Here I was thinking lawyers make bank...smh.
They used to. But, again, everyone and their mother is getting a law degree. Supply goes up, competition goes up, salary goes down.

Like I said, law offices now can hire interns for free. Why pay someone who will do the work for nothing, especially since the interns are trying to break into a firm, you know their work will be top notch.

STATUTORY
02-24-2016, 07:11 PM

when people say finance, auditors is not what they mean usually. The people who work in high finance, as in investment bankers, private equity etc, make much more than your friends.

A 22 year old new college grad in investment banking will make about 150-180k all in first year and the pay escalates quickly from there.

I'm curious what type of contracting gig you do tho?

UK2K
02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
as what do you work?
I dont do the work now, but when I got out of the marine corps, I was approached to do security work in the middle east.

Experience is helpful, but not necessary. Anyone can do it if you get a few certs or sign with a company who has an extensive training period.

But... im not trying to die or worse.

pastis
02-24-2016, 07:17 PM

no, she works as an labour law advocate

pastis
02-24-2016, 07:25 PM
They used to. But, again, everyone and their mother is getting a law degree. Supply goes up, competition goes up, salary goes down.

Like I said, law offices now can hire interns for free. Why pay someone who will do the work for nothing, especially since the interns are trying to break into a firm, you know their work will be top notch.

as far as i know, in germany the law studies endure 7 years (5 years = 1. state examen, 2 years traineeship, then 2. state examen = bar examen)

grades from the first and the second state examen are very important. you must have 18 points overall to open all doors (states attorney, judge, big law firm etc.)

if you have between 14-18 points your chances of good job are still high.
below this it will get difficult.

between 10-15% each year have 18 or more points
30-40 % have 14-18 points.
the rest is below.

my sister had ca 14 points (or a liiiiitle bit less, cant remember) and heck, 42.000 is not bad at all. she could earn a little bit more if she would join a bigger law firm, but she doesnt want to lose her independency and wants to stay flexible due to family planing