PDA

View Full Version : Any LEGIT DJ's in the house?

Just2McFly
02-24-2016, 03:40 PM
I have been recently getting into DJ'ing lately and I have been practicing with a Pioneer SX-2 and a Macbook using Virtual DJ. I have toyed around with Native Instruments software, but I've never used a Traktor of any kind.

I know the owner of a small spot on the west end of Downtown Toronto, so my first gig would be playing in a spot with the capacity of like 250 and they play anything from like Top 40, to some weird ambient noise disguised as house.

The DJ's I've seen coming through there have ranged from above average to rubbish but I am a rook, so I can't judge until I drop 20/5/5/ on these b*tches.

I've been playing around with some sets here and there, and my 90's R&B/Rap set is pretty amazing, I've done so practice in front of friends who love to shit on me and I've gotten some constructive criticism but I feel like this is so natural to me, I'm getting better every day.

My goal to just do this on the side until a career becomes a viable thing, which I don't expect right away due to the nature of the business. I'm currently being tutored by a couple of people, one has 10 years of experience and the other has three.

I'm looking for advice:

1)What makes a DJ great?

2)What kind of setup are you using? What are the advantages and benefits of using that kind of equipment?

3)Do you believe that Social Media and branding are key in this industry? (Two of my most major weaknesses man, I really hate IG :facepalm )

4)What are some of the most commonly made mistakes by beginners?

5) I feel that being unique and taking the time to craft sets that will keep people engaged but not burn out is key... how do you accomplish that with the way you play?

Bless Mathews
02-24-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm a skratch dj.

For 23 years.

Been cuttin it up def.

"Djing" is easy. Just go to clubs , study what cuts the crowd goes nuts for, get em , learn how to mix em.

A 10 year old can do it.

Get a Mac Pro

Serrato

And a rane 62 mixer.

Levity
02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
short little story about a sweet 16 i DJ'ed for one of my high school teacher's daughter, about a decade ago.

they rented a yacht for her and all her friends, but decided to skimp out on entertainment cost by hiring me and a buddy to provide the music. never done anything like that before, but seemed simple enough thanks to kazaa/torrents (again, a decade ago), and having access to decent gear.

the night went good, kids were having fun, parents were off getting drunk in their own world. finally came down to the last song of the night. and being a fan of "con-air" i thought id end the night with a slow, but touching one, "how do i live without you" by leann rimes/trisha yearwood.

in the middle of that song, EVERY single kid there started crying. like, legit balling at the eyes. my egotistical self thought, "damn, these kids must really really love me as a DJ and are bummed the nights ending" however, the truth behind the tears.... at that very moment, they were all getting texts from other friends, stating a friend of theres had just then got in a dirt bike accident and died.

turns out "how do i live without you" wasnt the most ideal song to be playing at that time. havent had the desire to DJ since. mainly considering my teacher paid us in a thank you and a box of bagels.

Bandito
02-24-2016, 08:03 PM
short little story about a sweet 16 i DJ'ed for one of my high school teacher's daughter, about a decade ago.

they rented a yacht for her and all her friends, but decided to skimp out on entertainment cost by hiring me and a buddy to provide the music. never done anything like that before, but seemed simple enough thanks to kazaa/torrents (again, a decade ago), and having access to decent gear.

the night went good, kids were having fun, parents were off getting drunk in their own world. finally came down to the last song of the night. and being a fan of "con-air" i thought id end the night with a slow, but touching one, "how do i live without you" by leann rimes/trisha yearwood.

in the middle of that song, EVERY single kid there started crying. like, legit balling at the eyes. my egotistical self thought, "damn, these kids must really really love me as a DJ and are bummed the nights ending" however, the truth behind the tears.... at that very moment, they were all getting texts from other friends, stating a friend of theres had just then got in a dirt bike accident and died.

turns out "how do i live without you" wasnt the most ideal song to be playing at that time. havent had the desire to DJ since. mainly considering my teacher paid us in a thank you and a box of bagels.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Also kazaa..brings back memories.