PDA

View Full Version : I'm no GSW fan, but if the NBA moves the 3-point line back.....

34-24 Footwork
02-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Then this would be the equivalent of the "Jordan Rules", except it would be the league literally trying to make it HARDER for a superstar.

It would be despicable and embarrassing and would give the Warriors historical bulletin board material and eternal bragging rights.

Below is an excerpt from Mark Cuban.

Mark Cuban has a suggestion to reintroduce the midrange shot to the NBA game: Move back the 3-point arc.

MP.Trey
02-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Move the 3 point line back and it only helps Curry. He'll be the only one still able to launch them from anywhere inside the half court line.

ShawkFactory
02-27-2016, 08:19 PM
It's an interesting thought for sure.

I think it would eliminate the casual three point shooter and perhaps make the game more inside-centric, which is a much more entertaining way for the game to be IMO.

But then it would make a great shooter more valuable then ever. So then there would be more people coveted for that shot.

Eventually I think we'd end up in the same place.

nba_55
02-27-2016, 08:19 PM
That actually helps Gsw.

Funktion
02-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Hope about they then make layups and dunks worth 1 point?

Terahite
02-27-2016, 08:21 PM
3ball get in here

Cocaine80s
02-27-2016, 08:22 PM
No I think we should get rid of the 3 point line

HylianNightmare
02-27-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm all for it. Or add a 4 point line

CuterThanRubio
02-27-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm not for widening the court, but if the corners were the same distance as the top of the key it could be good for spacing without completely overreacting just because one player is so good at shooting.

I like things the way they are, if you don't like it you can stop watching, its not like teams are ONLY shooting threes, there are still exciting inside plays, you can tell who is watching boxscores and bitching instead of paying attention to the action.

plowking
02-27-2016, 08:30 PM
GSW becomes the first team ever to win a title shooting 3's at a ridiculous level, and somehow we think it is time to change the game completely?

The game is fine. Another champion will come along next season or the one after. It isn't that big of a deal. They barely won their first championship against a depleted and injured team.

Blue&Orange
02-27-2016, 08:33 PM
It would open up play for more drives
I thought it was impossible for the paint to be more open right now, but apparently not. If Pablo Prigioni isn't making layup after layup then is no good for Cuban.

r0drig0lac
02-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Bogut / Green illegal screens is their "special rule" is the only thing that needs to be modified

hold this L
02-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Pushing the 3ft line is really stupid since it pretty much benefits only two people, the Splash bros. The game right now has more variety and doing so will push it so it's an inside game almost exclusively except for 4-5 players that can. Cuban would also never say this if Dirk was 25 years old, in other words.. STFU Cuban you crybaby.

:pimp:

Nick Young
02-27-2016, 09:20 PM
If the 3 point line is moved back, Curry benefits the MOST from it. Curry, Paul George and Durant would all gain a massive advantage as they are the ones who are the best at shooting long threes. For those three players it wouldn't effect them at all. Every other shooter in the league would have to adjust.

Also, what do they do with corner threes? They'd have to keep them as short as they are or make the entire NBA court bigger.

Nick Young
02-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Bogut / Green illegal screens is their "special rule" is the only thing that needs to be modified
You gonna act like every single NBA team isn't doing moving screens every single offensive possession? :facepalm

Thechosen1
02-27-2016, 09:21 PM
why are they giving these bums so much power...o wow they make everything they throw up so lets move the three point line...how about find better ways to play ****ing defense. NBA is SOOO damn soft.

ShawkFactory
02-27-2016, 09:28 PM
why are they giving these bums so much power...o wow they make everything they throw up so lets move the three point line...how about find better ways to play ****ing defense. NBA is SOOO damn soft.
You're right, but the specialized 3pt shooter is more advanced than he was. So better defense only takes you so far.

Which makes sense...more people practice it, and the game has evolved because of it. And also the rule changes obviously.

But in the 80s people hadn't fully bought in to it because it was so new.

alexthegod
02-27-2016, 09:34 PM
the first thing they should do is widen the court so that the 3 pt line is 23 ft 9 inches at all parts of the court. right now the corners are 22 ft. An extra 3 ft on each side should do the trick. That would balance the floor more as well.

34-24 Footwork
02-27-2016, 09:34 PM
The irony of Mark Cuban saying this off the charts....especially after 2011. His teams have made a LIVING off of the 3-ball.

Although, I do like his idea of Dallas and Memphis playing in the Eastern Conference.

90sgoat
02-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Dumb dumb dumb.

Cuban is right, the 3 spam contest is ruining the league, but the analysis is wrong.

The main issue with current gameplay is that every team - 90% of the time, spams a high (illegal) screen-roll to easy penetration then kick it out.

This move is only so effective because of artificial rules which go against 50 years of rules in the league.

1) Illegal screens, these are constantly used, where a player will set the screen then move back and forth several times while the guard decides which way to go. This is ILLEGAL in all other eras.

2) No handchecking, no touch defense, makes it literally impossible to guard guys like Irving or Curry. Again, it was never this way in other eras.

3) Defensive 3 seconds, this means that after 1) and 2) you have a penetrating guard and an open lane, this means that one guy has to make try at help D, but this leaves the corner guy open.

Spam the above 3 and you get the annoying 'basketball' today.

The solution has nothing to do with the 3 point line, but with the ability of the defense to defend penetration in pick and rolls and of the lack of ability for the center to stay in the paint.

Assume we change the rules so that the center can camp in the paint and players can use physicality on perimeter players. This means that first of all, the penetrating player will still most likely be shadowed on his drive, meaning a slower drive. Second, because of a center in the paint, all other players can stick to pure man to man defense on the shoters, which only leaves the center guy open and few center players, even the small ball ones, are knock down shooters from 3 and even fewer have a mid range game.

Dresta
02-27-2016, 10:21 PM
I already said this, but there's no need to do this--it would be easier, and not be such an overhaul of the game, if they just started calling offball moving screens more consistently.

Moving the line back would be idiotic. What are they gonna do: change the whole court size? So yeah, do that and allow more physical defense on the perimeter; don't overhaul the entire game; such an overreaction.

:facepalm

jstern
02-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Remember a couple of years ago when the NBA was setting a record for most 4 point plays, destroyed it because they changed the way a 3 point shot should be defended? The secret is make the rules less softer. Don't handicap the defender.