PDA

View Full Version : Death, Taxes and the Spurs Winning 50 Games

Anaximandro1
02-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Amazing

-Spurs extended their record for most consecutive 50+ win seasons to 17 :eek: :eek:

-Duncan became the fifth player ever to record 3000 blk :applause:

-Duncan passed Karl Malone on All-Time Rebounding List :D

6 Duncan 14,971 rebounds
7 K. Malone 14,968 rebounds

Spurs5Rings2014
02-27-2016, 11:47 PM
GOAT longevity, GOAT impact.

:bowdown:

Legends66NBA7
02-28-2016, 01:21 AM
Lost in all of this... Well done.

50+ win pace for 19 straight seasons.

Harison
02-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Spurs :bowdown:

Pop :bowdown: :bowdown:

SpaceJam
02-28-2016, 03:34 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcRtfSaWwAEm_RI.jpg

Lakersfamftw
02-28-2016, 03:36 AM
GOAT longevity, GOAT impact.

:bowdown:

How? He's in his 19th season while Kobe is in his 20th.
Kobe is still scoring more.
Kobe is still the focus of defense attention more than this queer.
Atleast be objective.

Horatio33
02-28-2016, 04:21 AM
I'm a Spurs fan but this doesn't matter. The Warriors are that good this doesn't matter.

Kawhi
02-28-2016, 04:25 AM
The only season Tim Duncan didn't win 50 games, was the lock-out year when only 50 games were played, and the Spurs won 37. A few months later Tim would lead the Spurs to their first ever title.

plowking
02-28-2016, 04:29 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcRtfSaWwAEm_RI.jpg

Feel bad for Phoenix. Consistently good, but never won a title...

DMAVS41
02-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Not enough will be made of this. It's one of the most remarkable team achievements in sports history....honestly...maybe the most remarkable.

Legends66NBA7
02-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Feel bad for Phoenix. Consistently good, but never won a title...

Utah Jazz as well.

Even though franchises like the Hawks, Wizards, Kings, etc... have a NBA title, I don't consider them more dominant than the Suns and Jazz. Would rather have the consistency of always trying to compete than being a 1 hit wonder of sorts.

SCdac
02-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Spurs gonna Spur :applause:

ArbitraryWater
02-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Utah Jazz as well.

Even though franchises like the Hawks, Wizards, Kings, etc... have a NBA title, I don't consider them more dominant than the Suns and Jazz. Would rather have the consistency of always trying to compete than being a 1 hit wonder of sorts.

I dont think you can call that one hit wonder but I get what you're saying

Suns probably should have won that title in the 70's

lilteapot
02-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Utah Jazz as well.

They ran into MJ every year. Sucks but such is life.

GOBB
02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
A franchise teams try to be like. Some teams have already implemented their style. Curious how that franchise goes on without Duncan/Pop retire?

Harison
02-28-2016, 12:28 PM
A franchise teams try to be like. Some teams have already implemented their style. Curious how that franchise goes on without Duncan/Pop retire?
As long as Pop stays, they will be relevant. Duncan is no longer cornerstone anyway, he can be replaced and position upgraded.

lilteapot
02-28-2016, 12:29 PM
They're also great because of RC Buford and their incredible front office and team culture which won't go away when TD and Pop retire. They'll be fine.

SCdac
02-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Spurs may not have been swimming in championships pre-Duncan & Pop, but they were generally a perennial playoff team with Robinson and crew (had Larry Brown as a coach for a minute - Pop was an assistant to him). Won't be surprised if that winning mentality persists, provided the roster is decent (it's a player's league imo). If Spurs can keep Kawhi Leonard and Aldridge that'll be dope

GOBB
02-28-2016, 01:27 PM
As long as Pop stays, they will be relevant. Duncan is no longer cornerstone anyway, he can be replaced and position upgraded.

:oldlol: Ok, we shall see.

They're also great because of RC Buford and their incredible front office and team culture which won't go away when TD and Pop retire. They'll be fine.

Lets hope.

Spurs may not have been swimming in championships pre-Duncan & Pop, but they were generally a perennial playoff team with Robinson and crew (had Larry Brown as a coach for a minute - Pop was an assistant to him). Won't be surprised if that winning mentality persists, provided the roster is decent (it's a player's league imo). If Spurs can keep Kawhi Leonard and Aldridge that'll be dope

You had David Robinson a great player then was gifted with Tim Duncan. Unless you're being gifted again post Duncan? I'm not sure you can equate post Duncan/Pop with pre Duncan/Pop. :confusedshrug:

SCdac
02-28-2016, 01:50 PM
:oldlol: Ok, we shall see.

Lets hope.

You had David Robinson a great player then was gifted with Tim Duncan. Unless you're being gifted again post Duncan? I'm not sure you can equate post Duncan/Pop with pre Duncan/Pop. :confusedshrug:

Won't be surprised in the slightest if the Spurs get great players again, like other franchises do. Duncan and Robinson aren't even the only all time great players that have played for the Spurs. :confusedshrug: I'm not counting on it like it's for sure going to be happen, but it won't be surprising if it happens. Hell they already got Kawhi and Lamarcus without having to have a horrible season. Also the Spurs culture has been relatively the same the last 30 years, with an emphasis on defense and teamwork. Pop and Duncan did not invent the Spurs franchise, they inherited it and helped make it better

Orlando Magic
02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
The moment that duncan says goodbye is the moment this streak ends

SCdac
02-28-2016, 03:03 PM
^ I'm not knocking Duncan's impact - he's a great defender still, great player just in general, a leader on/off the court, sets the tone for the team - but to be fair to the current squad, Duncan clearly not the player he used to be and that's not an insult. It's age and wear and tear. He's averaging 25 mpg (5th highest on the team), averaging his lowest ppg ever (~9 ppg), and has missed 15 games so far (surely FO is playing it safe with him)... But the Spurs are still chugging along and just won 50 games... I think it's safe to say the Spurs have been preparing and transitioning to a "Big 3"-less team for a few years now at least. And transitioning successfully I'd say

GOBB
02-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Aldridge is only there because of Duncan. Now Leonard was a great pick via scouting.

SCdac
02-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Aldridge is also from Texas and said he was happy to be close to his family and friends. Makes sense after 10 years in Portland. Certainly there's more to choosing a team than just teaming up with Timmy. Aldridge was reportedly assured Pop would stay a few more years and Lamarcus was apparently close with Spurs assistant Ime Udoka also

Overdrive
02-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Won't be surprised in the slightest if the Spurs get great players again, like other franchises do. Duncan and Robinson aren't even the only all time great players that have played for the Spurs. :confusedshrug: I'm not counting on it like it's for sure going to be happen, but it won't be surprising if it happens. Hell they already got Kawhi and Lamarcus without having to have a horrible season. Also the Spurs culture has been relatively the same the last 30 years, with an emphasis on defense and teamwork. Pop and Duncan did not invent the Spurs franchise, they inherited it and helped make it better

LMA is pretty old himself, though. The spurs drafted well on fit and talent throughout the years, but Duncan was always there and the core of the team was set. Getting LMA was big in a way, but it's only a fix for 2 or 3 years imo. The Spurs need another major piece for Kawhi to pair up with for the next decade.

SCdac
02-28-2016, 06:00 PM
LMA is pretty old himself, though. The spurs drafted well on fit and talent throughout the years, but Duncan was always there and the core of the team was set. Getting LMA was big in a way, but it's only a fix for 2 or 3 years imo. The Spurs need another major piece for Kawhi to pair up with for the next decade.

I trust the Spurs' scouting more than any other franchise currently in basketball. Splitter and Scola (who never donned a SA jersey) may not have worked out, but Parker, Manu, and Kawhi have. I agree they'll need to make big moves in the future, certainly. Do I know exactly what they'll be, obviously not, but I got faith in Holt, RC, Pop, and the rest of the front office and staff. Worst comes to worst, Kawhi has a major injury and the Spurs miss the playoffs or something. If that happens, again, I got faith the Spurs scouting and ability to choose a good player w/ a high pick