Magic/Bird

Jordan

Barkley

Shaq

Lebron

Curry

Barkley along with Mark Jackson caused the 5 seconds back to the basket rule

Shaq got rid of illegal defense

Lebron popularized efficiency culture/made passing cool again/popularized position-less basketball/1-5 play versatility

A lot of the Golden State team today, is based upon the Miami Lebron teams fundamentals

keep-itreal
02-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Wilt

Kareem

Magic/Bird

Jordan

Barkley

Shaq

Curry

A lot of the Golden State team today, is based upon the Spurs teams fundamentals

fixed

feyki
02-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Russell - He made awareness on D

Erving - On High-Flying , Slam Dunks

Magic - Smooth High Pacing

Bird/Reggie/Ray - Longe Range Shooting

Dirk/Nash/Curry - High Pacing with Longe Range Shooting

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Russell - He made awareness on D

Erving - On High-Flying , Slam Dunks

Magic - Smooth High Pacing

Bird/Reggie/Ray - Longe Range Shooting

Dirk/Nash/Curry - High Pacing with Longe Range Shooting

You forgot Lebron - popularized efficiency culture/made passing cool again/popularized position-less basketball/1-5 play versatility

JohnFreeman
02-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Great list Ballin.

Smoke117
02-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Neither Barkley or Shaq changed the game.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 08:42 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

You Cant Ban Me
02-28-2016, 08:42 AM
iverson influenced our whole culture.he was like a god like figure in the black community kobe and lebron never been close.example: if someone hard fouled iverson like they do with bron the guy's own teammate would prolly scream at him "WTF are you doing"

yeah iverson was that ***** he changed the game of life for a lot of us

feyki
02-28-2016, 08:44 AM
You forgot Lebron - popularized efficiency culture/made passing cool again/popularized position-less basketball/1-5 play versatility

Popularized on what ? Players don't plays Lebron way . 3pt shooting and pace is culture of the nba now . That's not about Lebron's style .

JohnFreeman
02-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Five-second back to the basket violation - This is an NBA only rule. It is often referred to as the "Charles Barkley Rule".

NBA changed zone rules because of Shaq as well

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Popularized on what ? Players don't plays Lebron way . 3pt shooting and pace is culture of the nba now . That's not about Lebron's style .

theaussieguy
02-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Wilt

Kareem

Magic/Bird

Jordan

Barkley

Shaq

Lebron

Curry

Lebron popularized collusion

A lot of the Golden State team today, is based upon the Miami Lebron teams fundamentals

fixed

keantona
02-28-2016, 08:52 AM
All those great players had an effect, but I'd say the only two players who changed the game as much or more than Curry is doing are Mikan and Chamberlain.

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 10:17 AM

that was Nash for the most part.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:22 AM
that was Nash for the most part.
He didn't win anything

It wasn't until Miami and Lebron that everyone started copying that style

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Little knowledge bomb on you youngsters out there;

The winners and champions set the trends. I've seen a lot of ball and you'd be dumb not to see the clear stylistic shift that came after Miami.

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Wilt

Kareem

Magic/Bird

Jordan

Barkley

Shaq

Lebron

Curry

Lebron popularized efficiency culture/made passing cool again/popularized position-less basketball/1-5 play versatility

This is a pretty nice list but pardon moi if I have slightly different opinion on that :lol
We are talking purely players now I see, right? Not coaches who for the most part have had more impact on the game than players including ATGs.
You gotta have Mikan on there I mean dude introduced skilled big man which ruled basketball ever since.
Bill Russell introduced all kinds of defensive strategies.

Kareem - Magic/Bird - Jordan
No. None of these guys changed the game. They made it more popular, but they didn't change anything. They perfected existing styles but they didn't do anything new nor were rules changed around them. Now as I say that. I have Jabbar & Jordan as 2 of the 3 all time greatest ever when I say that (with #13) but fact is they excelled within the game they didn't change it. Jabbar and dunking in college but in a way that was stupid rule since many many great players had been dunking in college for decades, including Chamberlain & Russell, before he ever showed up. And anyhow that's college not NBA.

Barkley okay somewhat but why not list off Mark Price equally?
Shaq of course. Fouls stopped being called with Jordan but it went from star rules to no rules with O'Neal. Disclosure: i was a huge Lakers fan for 40 years.

LeBron no it was Steve Nash who did what James is getting credit for.

Curry of course.

Also saw somebody listed dr. j but his whole style was everywhere in the '60s already although nobody was as good at it as Erving except Connie Hawkins who was probably even better and a good 10 years earlier.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:33 AM
I get it dude. You're young. Naive. New to the game of basketball. I've been all over the world. Seen it all. Done it all. Duked it out with the greats.

Why do you think spacing, 4 out/5 out offense became the hottest topic over the last 4 or so years? The champs set the stage. Everyone copies and styles evolve.

GOBB
02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Did Curry change the game or is he just the face of what the game changed too? Which is nothing more than the 3pt shot and the fact you don't have to worry about when (early shot clock) or how (contested) you shoot it. Just the fact you just...do.

Because Robert Covington 3pt attempts are damn near identical with his overall FG attempts. And if someone put together a highlight video of his 3's (kblaze the only soul who could and even I doubt he does it). You'd notice they are all...contested. Maybe you don't because you dont watch the sixers and trust me I'm not complaining. :oldlol:

The game today is jack 3's with no regard of a coach on the sideline giving you the Greg Pop verbal abuse and benching you. It's almost encouraged. Shit guys like Stan Van Gundy have encouraged that before Curry was known as Chef.

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 10:40 AM
I get it dude. You're young. Naive. New to the game of basketball. I've been all over the world. Seen it all. Done it all. Duked it out with the greats.

Why do you think spacing, 4 out/5 out offense became the hottest topic over the last 4 or so years? The champs set the stage. Everyone copies and styles evolve.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/CYUDHVmioGETu/200_s.gif

:lol

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Well I mean there's more to it than that but why not go all the way back Don Nelson's Mavs

There's always been this element to the game, atleast since the shortened 3pt line era... But never has the game been more focused on it. 5 players that can shoot on the court at once. Shooting centers were a gimmick in the past... Now for a lot of squads it's standard... Maybe playing small is a better description. Stretch PFs getting time at the C because there's a clear weakness into todays game and it's bullying bigs that can take advantage. But it's very hard to do so with rules today.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:45 AM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/CYUDHVmioGETu/200_s.gif

:lol
I bunked with John Hollinger in college. Had many yucky nights in the dorms having fun with J-Hols. That was his nickname on campus. Still keep in touch with him today. Always good to see what the hottest trends and fads are in league circles. Great guy. Couldn't hold down a pint very well though. Haha!

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Well I mean there's more to it than that but why not go all the way back Don Nelson's Mavs

There's always been this element to the game, atleast since the shortened 3pt line era... But never has the game been more focused on it. 5 players that can shoot on the court at once. Shooting centers were a gimmick in the past... Now for a lot of squads it's standard... Maybe playing small is a better description. Stretch PFs getting time at the C because there's a clear weakness into todays game and it's bullying bigs that can take advantage. But it's very hard to do so with rules today.

shooting centers was never a gimmick. Mikan introduced it. Look at some film of Willis Reed and Walt Bellamy, Chamberlain, Connie Dierking. Those were centers with face-up shooting in the 60s and there were more. 70s it accelerated. Bob Rule, Nate the Great, lots of em. Kareem is Mr. Skyhook but when he was young and athletic he had a beautiful face-up game. Jack Sikma, Bob Lanier, Dave Cowens were all great shooters from well outside the paint. Not a gimmick when all the best guys were doing it.

Now I do agree the rules need to be upgraded or back-graded :lol because Stern lost all his testosterone in those last few years. Needs to be a manly game.

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 10:54 AM
I bunked with John Hollinger in college. Had many yucky nights in the dorms having fun with J-Hols. That was his nickname on campus. Still keep in touch with him today. Always good to see what the hottest trends and fads are in league circles. Great guy. Couldn't hold down a pint very well though. Haha!

lulz
bro I was watching Kareem win his first ring with Oscar & Bobby Dandridge in one of the hardest individual matchup playoff runs in history.... Kareem knocked em down one after the next Nate Thurmond then Chamberlain (although Lakers were missing West and Baylor) then Wes Unseld.... that was the year Hollinger was born

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Star players score from all over the court. Always have. The concept of a shooting center that can space the floor was an afterthought atleast from 1981 onwards when Illegal defense came into effect. Hell that 72 win bulls team achieved some sentiment of floor spacing, and it sure wasn't by shooting ability alone. Rule enforced spacing. What a time to be alive for a star player.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2016, 10:56 AM
lulz
bro I was watching Kareem win his first ring with Oscar & Bobby Dandridge in one of the hardest individual matchup playoff runs in history.... Kareem knocked em down one after the next Nate Thurmond then Chamberlain (although Lakers were missing West and Baylor then Wes Unseld).... that was the year Hollinger was born
Easy there youngster. Don't sprain the ankle. I actually helped formulate the original vanilla PER formula with Hollinger himself. He had come up with a baseline stat idea and gave me a ring to crunch some numbers. Need less to say we created something really special.

La Frescobaldi
02-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Easy there youngster. Don't sprain the ankle. I actually helped formulate the original vanilla PER formula with Hollinger himself. He had come up with a baseline stat idea and gave me a ring to crunch some numbers. Need less to say we created something really special.

that's awesome dude. like..... far out.

So then I get to ask a major source an important basketball history question.
Why did Hollinger try to push PER onto players before 1974? It's the stupidity of that idea that makes it such a calamity.

Why did you zero out blocked shots for all players before 1974 and call that fair?

Wilt Chamberlain & Bill Russell get the same flat zero for their thousands of blocked shots as Bob Hogsett who played like 1 season and never made it off the bench.

REALLY??

other than that congrats per was a nice idea for certain real narrow applications.